CenturyLink

Posted:

poor customer service/ $99 early term fee for service that never worked

4.85
CenturyLink
I signed up for DSL service, clearly indicating that I wanted wireless internet for my 1 laptop computer. It turns out that I can't get wireless internet without another computer hooked up in a corded fashion. So, I never got the wireless internet I thought I signed up for. In addition, because of the DSL connection over the phone lines, one or more of my phones had a constant "click, click, click" noise making it difficult to have phone conversations and to hear messages left on my machine. The first time I called to have someone come and check the line, the person at CenturyLink was incredibly short with me, rude and argumentative. In addition, the repair person showed up at the wrong time (four hours early) and complained that he had gotten lost for an hour and that I had not answered any of his 8 calls trying to find my home. (I could not answer the phone but I did have to deal with the incessant phone calling). He determined that the problem was the absence of filters on the lines and once installed, was sure the problem would be fixed. Needless to say, although he fixed a couple of the phones, another phone started clicking. I quickly realized that I had made a HUGE mistake in trying to get internet through CenturyLink and I decided I would cancel the internet after I had some renovations done on my apartment over the New Year. Then I would be able to take care of everything in one fell swoop. Needless to say, I now have to pay a $99 early termination fee for a service that never worked the way I was told it would (wireless). Is $99 SO important to them that they are wiling to completely alienate a customer. I plan to tell EVERYONE I know how miserable the service at CenturyLink/ EMBARQ truly is. I am totally baffled by the experience and I plan to spread the word about the treatment I have received.
Complaint comments Comments (40)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

Comments

N  22nd of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
TOPE32,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had with CenturyLink DSL. I'll be glad to help. If you send me an email with your account information, I'll be happy to take a look at things and see what I can figure out. My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com. I've been helping customers on Complaintsboard.com for over a year.

Thanks,

twitter.com/CenturyLinkJoey
facebook.com/CenturyLinkJoey
N  13th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
phone failure for the who day. every time i pick up the phone, there is no ring.
A  8th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
My phone has been down for several days. I live alone pretty far back in the Ozark hills,
but am only about 15 miles from a small city. I have been trying to get in touch with
CenturyLink by internet since it is difficult for me to get to town to use a working phone.
You would think that CenturyLink would have a customer service site on the web. I find
it interesting that the only way to report a non-functional phone is to call on the phone!
N  12th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
Live in Missouri Clay County. Phone for business has been down 6 Times for a few days at a time since Jan. 2010!!! ( Not Good For My Business) Have already talked with line supervisor, supervisor of customer service am sending letter and email to Board of Directors . Any one know how to get REAL SERVICE ?
A  29th of Sep, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I had a very similar problem, except that I was over charged, charged for services that I flat out never received, then the charges that I did receive flat out didn't work. I cancelled within the same month that I signed up, was billed again the following month for the same mystery service that I never got. Then, I was charged $200 for early termination.

NEVER sign up with century link!
N  30th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
DEENGLEB,

Sorry to read about the trouble you had with our company. I'll be more than happy to see if I can help you. Can you email me your name, account number, and additional details? My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

A  17th of Nov, 2010 by    -1 Votes
When I set up for service with century link a few months back, i specifically told the agent that i was going to be moving in 6months to miami, which is an area that century link does not cover. I asked the agent that when that time came for me to move if i was going to have to pay a cancellation fee. Well here i am 6 months later and now they're charging me for an early cancellation fee? I understand these agents work on commission but they shouldn't do that.
N  17th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
Directvsalesagent,

I'm also sorry to read about the trouble you're having with our company. I would be glad to help you as well. Just email me your name, account number and reference your post here on ComplaintsBoard.com. My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

A  4th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
I agree with several of the posters on here. I received horrible service from Century Link, and terminated the service for "non-service" and for some reason my termination "extortion" fee is $400. I had billing problems from day one, and made a total of 5 trips to the local office to try and get them corrected. Each time I was told it would be corrected on the next statement, and I would have to wait on the statement to see it. Each time I was disappointed. The DSL service that I was attempting to use was a constant problem, with speeds nowhere near the pitifully low 1.5 download and .25 upload that was promised. Most times it was half that speed or less.
N  5th of Apr, 2011 by    +2 Votes
jwbraswell,

I received your email regarding your concerns. Thank you. I will look into it and get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks.

Joey H
N  16th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I WAS ROBBED $400 DOLLARS FOR EARLY TERMINATION FEE IT WAS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE 100 DOLLAR$
N  16th of Apr, 2011 by    +2 Votes
CENTURY LINK ROBBED ME $ 40 0 DOLLARS FOR EARLY TERMINATION FEE INSTEAD OF 100 DOLLARS WHAT A FRAUD REPORT IT TO BBB
N  18th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
ANGRY CONSUMER VEGAS,

I would also be happy to look into your issue also. Just email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com. Thanks.

Joey H
N  2nd of Jul, 2011 by    +2 Votes
I'm on a fixed income (SSD) and had fallen behind on some payments in the early part of 2011 coming out of the holiday season. I explained to the woman of my financial
situation and asked if there was anything she could do for me. She setup a plan that would be $87.00 a month/plus the current monthly amount. The plan was rough but I was going to try to make it work. Just to be clear, I asked her, "so let me get this straight, if my current amount is ____ and after adding the 87, I would pay ____ next month. Right?". She assured me that was correct. I had her transfer me to back to the original rep. The original rep (who seemed to be the most helpful person at the time), wanted to help me with my financial issue. She explained my current plan. Apparently I was on some sort of a phone plan. I told her I never used the phone and just want internet. She had my monthly lowered by 25 a month (simply for internet). I told her of my payment arrangement and asked if she thought that would change it. She said, "It sounds like it. You better let them know in that department of the change". So she transferred me and I explained this all to the same woman I spoke with earlier. I asked if that would change the amount I'd pay each month thereafter and she ASSURED me that I only had to pay the 87 and the current amount due (which was now lowered). I asked 3 times, even with a guesstimate on what that total for the following month might be. She said YES. I call a month later to make the payment and the rep tells me that I owe $205. Which is way more than what I should be paying for 87 + 25. After speaking to her and then the person in the department for setting up payment plans, but getting nowhere, I asked to speak to a manager. After being transferred again, I repeated my story to the supervisor. I explained that I had repeated my questions to the original rep and the payment arrangement person to make sure the plan was understood and that I would have never conceded to 205 a month, considering it wouldn't have fit into my budget. This woman got very smug and nasty very quickly, telling that this was my own fault for not making payments. She also went on to tell me that my monthly rate was NEVER actually lowered to basic internet. She then basically began to say that I was a liar and that neither the rep nor the financial consultant would have ever given me that information and that she had those conversations recorded to prove it. I said, "fine. Play the conversation and we'll hear it". She then told me that does not have to do that and that if I want to hear the recording, I would have to have my attorney present. I told her that i shouldn't be penalized because of mistakes made by CL employees but she refused to comment or even apologize on their behalf of for the fact that I was completely mislead by two reps in the first place. Finally, to make matters worse, she
instead ORDERED me, in a commanding tone, that "YOU WILL pay the $205 or else your service will be terminated"... this was repeated numerous times towards the end of the phone call in the same cold, condescending tone about 3 times. Her attitude was completely rotten and unprofessional. The phones reps are all on different pages and are clueless. I'm outraged by my experience and I'm going to spread the word about Centurylink and how it seems to regard it's customers.
N  1st of Nov, 2011 by    +2 Votes
$300 per line for termination. Are you F-ing kidding me? I will tell everyone I know, I will cancel my home phone and I will social market to the masses what a outrageous fee this is. Century Link debited my very small business checking account $600 because we cancelled. We have used their service for more than 10 years. So much for loyalty. Their so-called cancellation policy is cryptic and hidden (I still don't see it on my statemen) and very, very suspicious. Shame on them. I even called before I cancelled to make sure that there would be no fee. The conversation was recorded but ... of course... it has been "deleted" since it has now been more then 45 days. Right. Are they making this stuff up as they go. DO NOT give them your money. I am also contacting my bank to make a complaint the the debit was unauthorized. AND I will file a complaint with any government agency, including the FTC, about this mess.
N  1st of Nov, 2011 by    +3 Votes
CenturyLink, what you are doing is illegal.

I know that these are rough times and some of your families may be hurting for food but that gives you NO right - NONE - to charge an outrageous & out of the blue cancellation fee. $500 is absurd. You could have simply added on an upgrade package. No company, no telephone company in their right mind charges $500 for a cancellation fee!

Given your highly positive reputation, your relationship with Qwest and your desire to offer good service - Please look into this disgrace immediately. There is absolutely no excuse to charge customers or anyone who moves $550 on an early cancellation fee.
A  23rd of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
CenturyLink does not care about their customers, or customer satisfaction! I have had terrible service since Qwest went to CenturyLink, and when I tried to cancel I was told we are in a contract for 36 months, not because we signed anything but because it was stated on our bill, and since I paid the bill, that was me agreeing to it! Are you kidding me? Now that I want to cancel they are saying that they will charge me a termination fee of $1500.00!!! I have never been treated so poorly by a company. I deal with hundreds of residents a day as an apartment manager, I bet CenturyLink won't be on my move in sheet information, nor will I ever recommend CenturyLink to one of my residents! Terrible experience, terrible company, terrible policies, terrible customer service, everything about CenturyLink-TERRIABLE!
N  29th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
@jiggylvsknicks1 The employees that knew how to do everything either got fired or FORCED OUT of their jobs for taking care of all of you!! (Because they never met their sales quotas. Ps- century link rewards their sales reps very very high dollars to get these orders out) I am very sorry they do this. It sickens me!!!
N  4th of Apr, 2012 by    +1 Votes
They charged me 150.00 for 1 month of internet service after telling me it would be 60.00.
N  15th of Apr, 2012 by    +2 Votes
Silly obese man, who in their right mind would waste their own gas to deliver 2 sauces to you just because you're a fat-###.
N  3rd of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
i just got centurylink may 24 2012 and realized they gave me the entertainmentpackage when i was to get choice xtra package. the girl i talked lied to me what crooks IRA ROSSMAN

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree