[Resolved] Century Linkcentury link rip off

Century Link, formerly Embarq, is the worst company to do business with. I have had phone service with the same company for 13 years. I missed last months payment and they shut off our phone, dsl and email accounts. The payment was a oversight and sent a check 4 days before the new due date.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Kingwood, TXCentury link is a total rip off and I would recommend using a different company for your phone service. Or better yet - start hitting these over prices telecommunications companies were it really hurts and go cellular. Heck I have not even used my home phone in years. Also, I have 3 business lines with them and 2 dsl accounts. Guess what, come Monday morning they will all be switched to a different company!

• Resolution Statement

• CenturyLink Customer Care's Response · Aug 15, 2016

Lidele,

Hi, Thanks for contacting us with this issue. I would like to take a minute a clear up any confusion there might be about fee's we charge for payments. We do have several options available for you to make payments and some do have fee's associated with them. When you call into our customer service line and make a payment with our representatives there is a $4.00 transaction fee. You can avoid the fee by paying through our automated phone system anytime of day. Also Paying through our website at www.centurylink.com does not charge a fee of any type, mailing in a check is also a option for payment.
    I hope this helps if you have further questions you can email us anytime at [protected]@centurylink.com or find us on Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks
    Patti
    @CenturyLinkHelp Team

Comments

• Li
      Dec 24, 2008
    Qwest Communications - No customer service
    Qwest Communications
    qwest.com

We requested to have Qwest come out to install a telephone line and the day before they came, had to cancel our request.
    The next day the service technician comes out and we explain that we have canceled the request and he leaves.
    This was 3 months ago. The first time we called Qwest, they said they would correct their error.

The 2nd time we called, on Sunday, 12/7/08, the friendly female representative said not to worry -- they would correct the problem and we would be receiving a bill with a zero balance. Now, tonight an aggressive debt collector calls from Allied and is demanding that we pay this bill, which Qwest apparently turned over to them.

There is no way to communicate with Qwest to report problems via e-mail. Lisa, the Qwest representative that I spoke with tonight said that the billing department is closed, but that she would send them an e-mail explaining the situation and they would contact me tomorrow.

Why is it that I don't really believe them?

This is the 'worst' customer service I have encountered in my life and I would NEVER choose Qwest as a provider -- friendly doesn't count. Customer service agents need information and access in order to serve us -- the customers that choose this provider over others. One of the reps said that they 'just' began being able to search for a customer using 'name'. Hello? You represent communications and you're that far behind the times!

Now we have to worry about this being on our credit report! Beware of Qwest! I'd hate to be a steady customer that got a little behind on my bill!

• As
      May 19, 2009
    Qwest - Heinus service
    Oregon
    qwest.com

In November of 2007 I entered into a 2-year cell contract with Qwest for $25 per month guaranteed for life. A year later Qwest sends notice that they are RENEGING on THEIR contract and quitting the cell phone business. On April 4, 2009 I called Q to changes some services, spent 3.5 hours on the phone, was HUNG UP ON 3 TIMES, didn't get anything done and basically ruined my day. I committed to quitting them for good. Now I'm trying to port my cell number to another carrier and they're playing 3rd grader games like telling the new carrier my SSN is not correct, claiming their system is down, just basic childish retalitory measures over 5 days. I closed all Qwest services and will probably not pay the final bill. In a day and age where there is VOIP phone service, Magic Jacks etc., the phone companies are fast becoming dinosaurs and better realise that the public is not forced to do business with them to have phone service, and $35 landline service is a thing of the past. Bye Bye Qwest, SBC, AT&T and similar thieves, you'll soon be out of commission. Better start thinking like Kodak and innovate instead of thinking that HIGHER PRICES will help keep you afloat.

Dec 22, 2009

Ron, sorry you had trouble with CenturyLink service. I'll be glad to help you out. Can you email me the account numbers that are involved? Thanks. I've helped others here on Complaintsboard.com. My email address is [protected]@CenturyLink.com.

• Ci
      Dec 28, 2009

I can't wait until my service contract is up with Embarq/Century Link in February 2010. I have never had worse service or worse connectivity than I have had here, except perhaps with Direct TV, but don't get me started on that rant!

I will be switching back to Time Warner as soon as my contract with this company ends. I should have known better really.. They change names every 2 years or so.. I wonder why that is? Do they think that Sprint vs. Embarq vs. Century Link's bad repuation doesn't follow them regardless of how many times they tryto get rid of the bad reputation that follows them like the plague. I can't wait for Februraly

Dec 29, 2009

I completely agree with both composers. When we started noticing irregularities on our bills we thought it would be a great idea to go with Brighthouse for services that included phone. The phone service was a nightmare. Now, we are cellular based and only use the cable company for television and internet. It's a crying shame that these companies are allowed to get away with charging escalated prices and can't maintain a business without having to go through a name change, merge or go through a corporate buyout.

• Ba
      Jan 28, 2010
    Qwest Communications - Stay away from this company
    Qwest Communications
    qwest.com

I was charged $380 for a service they could not provide. I signed up for a package (phone/internet/direct tv). Had the phone and internet connected and 2 days later direct tv came out and stated they could not install in my apartment complex. I called Qwest and canceled the whole package. I then had Comcast install a package (I know, not much better) 4 months later I was getting bills for past due amount of $380. When I called them they stated they did not have a record of my canceling the package. When asked them to look and see if I was using any of the services, they stated that they deleted the files. After talking to several supervisors and yelling at anybody I could at Qwest, they promply turned over to collections and is now on my credit report. I have disputed and the saga goes on 1 year later.

Feb 12, 2010

Beware, this Century Link should be banned!

• Je
      Feb 12, 2010

I have just had a round with CenturyLink about my bill. Last month I 'bundled' my phone service with DSL computer server service. It was supposed to by $46.50 a month with no extra charges. The 15.00 for unlimited long-distance was to be included..I knew there would be some left over from the month before charges. My phone bill had gone up a few dollars when Embarq went to CenturyLink...according to them it was just a name change not a buy out...but the service has gone from bad to worse and so has the bookkeeping and billing...when I opened my bill this month: $293.06!! When I tried to reach someone to find out about THEIR mistake..I could only Chat on-line with a woman, I guess, the name was Markeisha...she said I had been billed for long distance and some other charges. She gave a $144.85 adjustment plus $19.60 for taxes towards my account..( printed out the Chat) Leaving $128.67 bill. The funny thing (but I'm not laughing) my bill before was for only local...was $13.52. I got DSL so I could help with my son's business..I'm on disability..I had taken long-distance off and got a cell because it was cheaper. The unkind woman I talked to last night said that she didn't care what I was told it will be $66.00 amonth plus...and that I am under a year long contract which 'Edith' who signed me up didn't mention. After reading all the stuff today about them being a ripoff. I talked to someone else and said that that for this to be a binding contract it would have to be recorded and I wanted a copy of it sent to me immediately...she then looked at my account again and she said there had been a mistake and my bill would be $46.50 a month. I asked her why when I dialed Edith's extention that it didn't go through she said it was no longer a working extention...I told her that I hoped next month if my bill wasn't $46.50 that she would still be there.!!she laughed...but not much!

• Pa
      Feb 15, 2010

Hello Joey,

I will be cancelling all services with Century link as of tomorrow. I have also notified the VP Kristen McMillan and left her a lengthly message for her to return my call. I began with Century link back in late September. Was promised one monthly fee of $113.56 that would never be raised.

The second bill I received was in November at a whopping total of $202.00. I called up only to find out they were charging me installation fees for the Dish Network who by the way does NOT charge any of their customers installation fees, plus they proclaimed just because it was the state of Nevada they could charge any fees they liked.

Now of course these were never mentioned to me when I signed up. Well the next bill was $247.00. Mind you I was up to date on all of my payments and disputing the January bill since the idiots did not remove the phone service I cancelled January 7th 2010 nor did they remove the bundled Dish Network service I cancelled in late December.

Then they continued to tell me I had a previous balance which I did not and I have the proof with confirmation numbers and a bank statement that clearly shows all my payments to Century Link via debit card, yet Century Link is too stupid to record everything they do on the computers?

To make a long story short as of tomorrow I will never use Century Link again for ANYTHING. I have found another ISP and believe me it isn't Cox cable either. They are right in line next to Century Link.

I will be blogging about my bad experience with Century Link as well as convincing people NOT to use them. So hopefully with a bit of luck I will shut them down at least here in Las Vegas where we do have other options.

It might serve the company well to remember how to treat customers in a respectable manner and record every transaction on the computer when they are supposed to. I for one will not allow anyone else to go through what I did for the past three months. It was pure Hell.

• Ri
      Feb 18, 2010

CenturyLink is a very poor quality phone company, definately no customer oriented.

Feb 18, 2010

AMEN!

• Bl
      Feb 21, 2010

Yes I agree with all about Century Link ripping people off. I was told and it was agreed upon that I would get bundle pricing for phone, internet and dish for 104.00 a month minus all taxes. Bill should be around 115.00 a month out the door...NOPE not even close try 178.00. They installed a DVR receiver and now charge me 6.00 a month that was supposed to be free for12 months. I can't downgrade the DVR receiver without paying them 100.00 to downgrade. I had to commit to 24 months contract with dishnet and was told that my price would be locked in, try again. They've had 2 price increases on February 1st. I've been told by 2 century link customer service reps that Dish would charge me $17.50 a month for every month left on my contract to break and another told me dish would charge me $15.00 dollars a month for every month left. WHICH IS IT????? Yes my century link pricing on internet and phone are correct but they are partnered up with Dishnet which is the crook and criminal. I will be going back to comcast real soon and can't wait. My recommendation is not to do a bundle with Century Link at all. I've spent a better part of a Saturday on the phone wth Dish and Century and still haven't heard back from a Dish supervisor.

• Si
      Mar 02, 2010

Century Link Seems to be doing questionable practices when it comes to collection. They are phishing for Social Security Numbers from individuals filing bankruptcy from their attorneys without their knowledge. When you call CenturyLink, they demand your social security number regardless of whether you have had services or not, and you cannot contact the Bankruptcy Services at CenturyLink P.O. Box 7971 Shawnee Mission, KS [protected] which is really located at on Sprint Street in Overland Park, KS. Their Fraud division and Security divisions demand your social security numbers also, even if you have not had business with them.

Apr 07, 2010

I have to write this from my cell phone. Why? Because every week for the last month thwere has been an outage all over Wisconsin. I run a BUSINESS. I have a website that needs to be updated constantly, but I can't because random outages make it damn near impossible to do. I don't pay 250 bucks a month to stare at a screen that says I can't connect. Embarq and CenturyTel (my old isp) merged, and this is what I get?!? Seriously, for the last 4 YEARS before this merger, the connection was on 24/7, and the ONLY time I ever had a problem with a disabled connection was when I forgot to plug my wireless router back in after moving locations. This is complete and utter failure as far as service goes. I am seriously considering cancelling this month. There are faster speeds available at a lower price that are FAR more reliable. Looks like I'm going to have to go through the hassle of switching phone numbers, email addresses and whatnot. If that's what it's going to take, I suppose that is what I have to do. VERY disappointed in this company. Thanks for nothing, you have lightened my pocket for the last time.

• Fr
      May 07, 2010

CenturyLink rates are exorbitant when compared to ATT or Verizon. Anyone who moves out of an urban area or one served by either ATT or VZ, you're screwed with higher rates and inferior service. I checked, it would cost more than $70 a month to have only dsl. The excuse is one has to have a phone whether its used or not.

It is possible to have only dsl. Some phone companies just don't want to let this happen.

Also, why the monthly charge for a dsl modem? I can easily buy one for much less money.

• Ve
      Jun 02, 2010

This guy Joey tells the truth and can help you. We had a major issue and he took are of it.

He is a very helpful guy in a sea of bad customer service over at CenturyLink.

• Century Link customer service is the 2nd worst that I have encountered. I have called several times about a DSL problem and every time they've tried to blame it on my computers. They seem to think performing a single ping is indicative of line performance. "Michelle" even wasted >20 minutes of my time resetting my computer network configuration. Amazingly, the problem is still there. Oh hell, why am I even bothering to type this, they don't care about problems as long as they're getting my money. Time to drop Crap Link.

• Ti
      Jun 13, 2010

We have had problem after problem with our billing and services and they even had the nerve to cut off our services for no reason leaving us with a reconnect fee. We paid our bill last week and received another for over $300.00 for next month, . Its bull!!! And they profit off the reconnect fee which it was not suppose to be disconnected anyways. They froze our email accounts and said they did not know why it was froze. They had no reason. I think they are scammmers and they think people are dumb enough not to catch on. Guess what century link times are tough and every penny is squeezed these days so people are paying closer attention. Your services suck! We are really considering our options right now and finding better service.

Jun 25, 2010

When I signed up with you I had all 3 (phone-Computer-TV) on one bill for about $112.00 per month. Since you split, my compter and phone are almost $100.00 and my TV another $60.00. That is about 1/3 of my income. First of all I do not need 3way calling-busy redial-call return-annoying call reject-call forwarding-caller ID-call waiting. I need the internet and a phone line to call family... Speaking of the INternet, it takes me from 15 to 20 minutes for the internet to come up so that I can use it. I just wrote my checks for my bills, but I will expect a credit of at least $40.00 on my next bill because of the poor service. If I do not get some releafe from these high bills, I will be going to Comcast with all 3 services for under $100.00 per month. Betty Burton [protected]@grics.net --- I expect an answer to this...

Jun 25, 2010

Sorry wrong email [protected]@grics.net Betty Burotn

• Da
      Jul 07, 2010

I agree completely! After spending 1 1/2 hours on hold this evening, never speaking to a tech, and being told that they "reset the line", they decided that a tech has to come out and check it on site. I guess that's how they expect all of us to get internet. Why pay for email when you can just run to the mailbox, huh Century Link? Perhaps the tech will show up on a pony. I tried to call and cancel my home service completely, but apparently they close at 7:00. Probably why they kept me on hold so long. You'll hear from me first thing in the morning, and unlike you, I'm responsible enough to keep my promises. So long unnecessary headaches, hello freedom!

• Ee
      Aug 16, 2010

I totally agree with Ron, I have had century link DSL for less then 1 month. They lie, cheat and who knows what else! It's been 5 weeks and I still do not have DSL working. They send technicians out that are phone guys, not DSL techs. They give me a monthly rate that has changed and then surprise me by telling me I'm on a three year contract. Every time I call support I have to go through 3 levels of [censor]s to get to another [censor] to explain myself for the 10th time. As of today I still do not have a working DSL line. Unfortunately Centurylink is my only choice and I am stuck. I guess that's why they really don't care about customer service.

Aug 18, 2010

I agree that century link is a bad company to go with . When I called them to get service I told the man on the phone that my husband does construction and probably wouldn't be there long so we needed somebody that would makes us have a contract. He said they didn't, he also never said anything about a canceling fee. Well my husband had to move to a different place and they already had internet so I canceled the internet with C-link . Well the bill came and we've been charged a $100 cancelation fee . I called to talk to them and tell them it was a error and they told me they couldn't take it off (hows that for no customer service, why even call yourself that !) I even went to a manager who said the same thing . They said it is on my account that the lady (when canceling) told me there was early termination fee, which is a flat out lie! . Anyway they wouldn't help me so now I have to go to their complaint dept. so they can do a "investigation" and the best part was that I didn't know about this bs until after we had them start another account for us and he is supposed to be leaving there in 2 weeks so they are gonna try to screw us again ! They suck !

Aug 18, 2010

Just wanted to send out another note to everyone on this thread. I apologize for any and all trouble experienced. My team is more than willing to investigate your individual issues and do what it takes to satisfy you. You can email me directly at [protected]@CenturyLink.com or our team at [protected]@CenturyLink. Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with our services.

Thanks,

Aug 23, 2010

Horrible TV and Internet Service, Many customer service calls and emails.
    Waited home today for yet another CenturyLink Service Call. No service
    all weekend...
    Brad (repair tech) got the service back and about an hour after he left my home, TV picture frozen again and
    no sound. Ready for a new service company...
    The most horrible service of any company in any state, I have lived.
    When I phoned back today to report the guy just left, and I have a frozen TV screen and no sound.
    Tom, from tech repair service told me to do my own repair, to disconnect 2wire box again. (No Way)
    Only thing they do well is pull out the $244.27 payment each month from
    our bank account.

Margaret Belcher
    [protected]@yahoo.com
    Columbia, MO

Aug 24, 2010

Hi Margaret2303,

I just sent you an email. I'd be happy to look into the issue for you. Just send me back some details if possible. Thanks.

• Am
      Aug 26, 2010

this is to Joey I have services with century link and my bill was late I pay the up a month after they took my payment they cancelled my service and now want me to pay a cancellation fee to keep my service and they were the one who cancelled after I paid. I am not happy at all with Century Link seems they trying to get all the money can out of people. I will cancel these services myself this time if they don't make it right.

Aug 26, 2010

amcgee,

Please email me your account info. I'll be glad ot look into this for you. My email is [protected]@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

• De
      Sep 10, 2010

They scammed me as well. I signed up for the bundle service. DSL, phone and dish, what a joke. The DSL never worked, thank God I didn't shut off my cable internet. After hours on the phone waiting for someone to answer I finally got it shut off, they even had the nerve to tell me they wouldn't charge me a disconnect fee.

They also lied to me in saying that I had 30 days to change my mind on the entire package. What a crock. I'm stuck with Dish for two years thanks to those losers CenturyLink.

I can't even watch TV because all the channels are screwed up, I hate dish. The dish company at least answers their phone, however the 3 months of free HBO that is written in plain English on my contract - has been billed every month. I was suppose to call before Sept. 14 to cancel it. Called today after I got another bill for it and the guy actually was going to charge me a disconnect fee. Then he tried to explain their billing - if it's free, there is NO billing.

As far as I'm concerned CenturyLink is a horrible company lacking in any customer service skills or ethics.

I would never recommend them to anyone. I will be cancelling my phone service from them through United State Postal service since they don't like to answer their phone, or maybe they haven't hired enough customer service reps to handle the overwhelming calls they must get.

CenturyLink - 2 hour wait time for any kind of service my friends - unless you are buying, tried it - called the line to purchase and the call was answered immediately. Call for service or questions with your bill - they avoid you like the plague.

CENTURYLINK = RIPOFFS, LIARS, OVER BILLERS.

Some one needs to audit them.

Sep 15, 2010

Demand Great Customer Service,

This is Joey with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about all the issues you've had with our company. I'll be happy to look into them for you. Just email me your name, account number and reference your complaint on this website. My email is [protected]@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

• Jp
      Sep 22, 2010

joey..
    we never had trouble paying our port charlotte fl fone bill
    under sprint, embarq they sent the bills to our canadian address but with you clink, its different
    you dont send us bills for last 3 months, when we call
    we are passed around between 3 different people then we are on hold for 10 mins. we sent money orders to alamonte springs fl, no response that you recvd them ...nothing..
    [protected]@rogers.com

• Br
      Sep 22, 2010

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T SWITCH TO BRIGHT HOUSE!!! Take it from my experience there internet constantly drops out TV goes black and costumer service is so bad they can't ever fix your common problems. Thats the only advice I give do another company instead of Bright House.

• Cl
      Sep 23, 2010

So far my experience has been the pits. I called for service the week of September 9th, 2010, the lady was good on the phone and helped me with getting my service install started. She told me I would be contact by the 13th to schedule a time to install the service. The 13th came and nothing... no call or anything. I called in and the lady said it would be installed the 14th but never said if I needed to be there, so great we get service!!! Not hardly, the 14th came and went and then it was the 15th. My cell rings and I notice a voicemail. I call the number on caller id because I cannot access voicemail and it is CenturyLink. This woman is rude and wants me to check my voicemail because it will tell me what they wanted. I finally got her to stop and just tell me what they wanted and they needed directions. CenturyLink obviously cannot use Google Maps, a GPS, or Yahoo Maps. So I gave directions and my address has HWY 73 in it and the lady asked "are you off any major highways?"... YES! Finally, she gets everything she needs and that's it... I hang up expecting service and still nothing. I call back and this lady proceeds to tell me that installation has to be scheduled?!?!?! Why did the directions lady not tell me this?!?!? Ok, so when can we have it installed... the earliest was the 23rd. Scheduled but not liked since my husband and I go to school online! I called again to just make sure that I could not get it earlier and also explained to the guy that this is ALL CenturyLinks fault so why do I have to pay installation. He got it down to half, if I did not HAVE to have CenturyLink because where I live then I wouldn't! Fine, half is fine! I kept calling everyday to see if I could change service, just in case someone cancelled. Still set for the 23rd. Called the last time on the 22nd and the guy said no. So far none of these people I talked to said anything about me having to be at home during installation. So I asked the guy on the 22nd and he said... YES! What?!?!? He told me the tech would have to have access in the house to "re-wire". Fine, a whole day's work blown out the water. The 23rd is finally here and the tech is only 5 minutes late but who cares right? Now he honks to make me come out of the house? Has he never heard of knocking? I walk outside and leans out and says "do you have service?" I tell him no and he acts put out! Great service CenturyLink. He stands out near the road for 45 minutes then tells me he has to take care of this downtown. Ok, as long as it gets taken care of. He comes back and finally he finishes outside. So he is coming in right? NO! He tells me he is done and leaves. I stayed home for this?

CenturyLink, you need to teach your Customer Service people how to tell everything and you need to teach your techs how to not ask "here's your sign" questions!

• Le
      Oct 02, 2010

OK, we've had thier phone service for 6 months. Phone bill been off, not by much, but still wrong.My problem is the scam we were offered to get DSL.We received a call saying we could get a laptop“free” if we accepted thier offer of bundle pack.(tv, internet, and phone)So, we said yes, that was the first mistake.We waited and waited but the lap top never came.So we called our local office and they said they knew nothing about it.They said they never called us about it and thought it was a SCAM!!!This account is in my daughters name who is on SSI but more about that latter.So a couple weeks go by and my daughter gets another call for the same offer.I don't know why but against our better judgement we once again agree.(by the way we tell them what the local office said and they said that thier not told every thing, that they are corrporate and they offer deals that the local office don't know about.)So we waited again and again no lap top.The corp. finally says that we did'nt pay our depposit in time, so no laptop and bundle package.So now to the main problem, my daughter gos to a rent-to-own and rent a laptop for $120.00 a month.We hook up the modum and WOW IT DOES'NT WORK.So we call customer service.They said please and thank you but thier tone of voice was not friendly.They were talking down to me cause I don't under stand all the tech lingo.Anyways finally the last guy I talk to figuers out that the modem is broken, he's sending a“tech”.Now we have to wait again.Like I said my daughter recieves SSI and me and my husband recieve disabiity.We can't afford much so all BS that we were fed has litteraly made us sick.My daughter has mental problems so her understanding of the whole sittuation has made it difficult for all three of us.I hope we don't get screwed any more than we have.
    so any one who reads this BEWARE.

[protected]@gmail.com

• Ia
      Oct 07, 2010

I have been kick around by this companies for 3 yrs. Use to be Sprint before that was SOOO famous and notorious in billings, and Embarq inherit the same practices than Centurylink do the same all over again. It is sickening to even think how this companies play football with all the people who paid for their services. What make it worst is that, no one I mean really no government or state official really wanted to spend time looking into their scams and BS practices. Because if they do, there will be list of phone companies and tons of illegal activities in side this companies, and and how people have been scam in the hundreds of thousands. From Sprint to Embarq and now Centurylink, is one company covering each others scams. They know, we all know. They know they always get away and there is nothing we can do about it. We can only keep cancelling and changing our services, and they keep charging us uneseccery charges thru scams they get away with.

Tired of fighting a battle we can't win. I finally told them all to fly kite, and when they call for any offer, I told them to add it to their companies scams so thier company will grow with every extra scams to add to all thier BS. Believe me there is no help to prevent them from continueing. We just get smart by them teaching us how to avoid them once and for all.

Oct 16, 2010

This is not surprising...

Oct 16, 2010

Do not trust Joey H. He is a backstabber...and will just make things worse!!! I know...

Oct 16, 2010

You have to go to the top to get things done. Joey H. has no influence. Too big for his britches. Makes matters worse...just like the rest of them...

Oct 18, 2010

Just a note to all on this thread, I would be more than happy to help out with any issues you have. You can contact me directly at [protected]@CenturyLink.com or our team at [protected]@CenturyLink.com. We want our customers to be satisfied with their services and encourage you to reach out to us if you have unresolved issues. Thanks.

Joey H

• La
      Nov 12, 2010

I have had nothing but problems with Centurylink since Aug 2010 and would not recommend them to anyone! Lost payments, horrible customer service!