Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority / Penalties on Toll Charges

1 PO Box 16777Austin Texas Texas, United States Review updated:

May name is Ray Falcon. I just received a bill from MSB one of the toll road vendors for Central Texas Regional Mobile Authority saying I owed $63.16 cents for a toll charge from 08/25/15 with a reference number of EDY786. We don't even remember going through a scanner that day, but they had the picture of the car so I know we did. The toll was $2.16 with $1.00 processing fee. I called about the extra $60.00 and they claimed they sent a bill on three separate dates and two "missed payment dates" added $15 penalties each then the "third and final" one added $30.00 more as a penalty. So my $3.16 toll was now $63.16. The problem I have is that I KNOW with 100% certainty they did not send three bills that we ignored. We pay our bills the day they come in to avoid situations like this. they did not send us three bills, but when I called the Customer Service Center, she was rude, insisted they did mail them and there was nothing I could do about it. The sad thing is, there isn't anything I can do about it. They have us by the throats and we have no way of refuting what they say. We are totally at their mercy. I'm not the only person this has happened to. A bill comes in and they claim it's the Third and final notice and they've added $60 in penalties. Is there anyone but them that we can elevate this issue to? I negotiated a $20 discount, but big deal. There is a serious problem with this company and the whole toll road situation and there's not a thing we can do. I'll drive in 45 minute traffic or 45 miles out of the way to avoid a toll road from now on because the whole system is messed up and can't be trusted. MSB is their fee collection company and their customer service phone number is [protected]. To whom in the state government can we file complaints. Too many people I know are getting their "Final Notice:" when it's really the first notice but the fees are already $60 in penalties. It doesn't make any sense that a reasonable person would not immediately pay a $3.16 toll charge. They wouldn't put it off knowing the penalties are usurious!!! I want a refund for all but my original $3.16 toll. They did not send three bills that we ignored. I gave them my phone number of [protected] then they told me it was to send me a survey regarding their services. Are they kidding? Can anyone help? This company has had far too many complaints and we have no recourse.

Jo
Jan 14, 2016

Comments

• Du
      19th of Jun, 2018

We received a bill from CTRMA saying we owed $63.75 for an original toll of $2.75! This, being the third bill, charging a $20 non-payment charge with two previous $15 charges for non-payment one & non-payment two. We live in North Texas & have a toll tag. If our toll tag doesn't have enough funds to cover the tolls or runs negative, I call NTTA, they will honor the original tolls & remove the ridiculous non-payment fees, because we have a toll tag!
    CTRMA would not do that for us. I cannot believe that the state we live in are comfortable demanding these types of fees be paid or else I may have to go to court & end up paying $200! Junk mail is pretty what my mail box consists of so, when a bill is overlooked (or possibly never received) it's our word against theirs. And in that situation, we will lose every time. It's time for our government to take a look at this & change the fees. This is wrong! We pay our taxes & love our state. How dare you take advantage of us like this. BTW, I ended up paying $43.75, this was the "best they could do". The original toll was $2.75 on Feb.22 & the bill increases to $63.75 by June 18?!