Care.com / deceptive "free"

United States Review updated:

Logged into Care.com to find pet sitters. We live in a high crime area, so we are having trouble finding dog walkers. Went on as a guest and was able to "view" a listing. It pulled listings that were not anywhere near my location. When I re-added my zip code- I get the screen that you have to fill out a profile.

Its "free", so I did- So I logged in, and I find that you STILL cant contact anyone unless you sign up for a paid subscription -

Deceptive- and certainly not free.

Mi

Comments

• Mo
      5th of Feb, 2010

Hi Mike,

I spotted your post this morning and wanted to write back and see if I could help out with some of the issues you’re having. I actually work at care.com in the X department and have used our service to find a pet sitter.

We have two levels of membership for care seekers here at Care.com. The first is a free basic membership – you can post a job describing you care needs and if a care provider responds that you are interested in interviewing you can then update your account to a premium membership. You will have access to their contact information and have the ability to use some of our great features, like requesting a recorded reference check or running a free standard background check. Basic members are also able to search for their ideal provider and receive email updates about new providers that match their hiring criteria. Sorry for the confusion. We will pass your feedback on to our product management team.

If you have any other feedback or into any more issues, don’t hesitate to contact us: https://www.care.com/contact-us-p1011.html

Good luck finding a dog walker. I hope your search goes well.

Thanks for using Care.com to find dog walkers! We really appreciate you trying out our site. What kind of dog do you have? We’re all big pet-lovers over here!

Thanks,

Meredith

• 43
      9th of Feb, 2010

Care4hire.com has a "free" posting service, where you can post your position for caregivers to view, but you must upgrade to a paying membership to contact them. There is both a monthly plan and a yearly plan. You can register for as low as $29.98.

• El
      24th of Nov, 2011
    Care.com - failure to honor terms of service
    care.com

I signed up with care.com to promote my pet sitting business. I paid for premium membership service for the month and within a week decided to cancel my membership for a variety of reasons. i was led to believe that upon canceling i would be able to ride out my month subscription until my membership expired, which was to be Dec 18 ( 3 more weeks of service! ) This is what it says for canceling: “If you cancel your subscription, you may use your subscription until the end of your then-current subscription term; your subscription will not be renewed after your then-current term expires.” BUT!! when I canceled my entire membership was deleted instead of giving me the rest of the 3 weeks due!!
    I paid for a month of service but received a week. Deceptive rules, slippery terms! Very frustrating.

28th of Jan, 2012
    Care.com - recurrent billing
    Care.Com
    Texas
    care.com

These guys are scam artists. They have a website that you need to provide a credit card to see service providers (perfectly legit :)). Then they sign you up for auto charges without ever asking your permission - even if you never log into their site. Even better - there is no place on the website to cancel your card information or stop them. Try calling them (not available on weekends) and they never answer the phone. Stay away!!!

9th of Feb, 2012

Hi Andy1300, I apologize for the experience you had, as it was never our intention to mislead our members. Care.com states on the payment page that "All subscriptions automatically renew until cancellation" so that members are aware that it is a subscription service. Once you upgrade, you get a confirmation page showing the cost that was just charged to you, where it again states that it will automatically renew until canceled and gives you the option to "Set a Reminder, " which sends you reminder emails leading up to your automatic renewal date. Once you have upgraded to our Premium Membership, you can also simply downgrade your account to a free basic membership at any time. To do this, simply scroll down to "Membership Information" under "My Profile and Settings." Once you are there, click on "Downgrade." This will set your account to downgrade to the free membership, but will keep your information in our system so that you can log in and upgrade anytime. This process is detailed out in our FAQ page under "How do I close my account?" The Care.com Member Care lines are open 10-6 Monday-Friday EST, voicemails are returned same day and emails sent to [protected]@care.com are responded to within 24 hours, 7 days a week as it states on our "Contact Us" page. If your billing has not been resolved, please feel free to contact us at 877.227.3115 and we would be happy to help. -Brettlyn, Care.com MemberCare Representative

5th of Apr, 2012
    Care.com - poor customer service and billing practices
    Waltham
    Massachusetts
    care.com

I signed up for Care.com to find home care while I was recuperating from foot surgery. The caregivers who post ads are not very reliable and back out of things at the last minute. The person whom I thought was going to help never got in touch with me and I ended up getting someone else, who mostly complained about her fibromyalgia and how she could not lift anything, nor could she push a wheelchair, which she never told me about before. I don't think they really do any background checks and I would never use any of these people again. I am cancelling my subscription and what was supposed to be a one-time use ended up being a charge on my card every single month, as others have posted. I do not mind at all paying for quality, but to be charged $35 per month for substandard services is more than anyone can stand. I do not recommend using this website or company, ever. Right now I am on hold with them to speak to someone about cancelling my account, and I have already been on HOLD waiting for someone to talk to me for over 33 minutes, according to the digital timer on the phone!!

• Kr
      9th of Apr, 2012

Hi Janice,
    Thank you for sharing your feedback and I apologize for the experience you had while using Care.com. If you would like us to take another look into your account, please feel free to contact me at [protected]@care.com. I would be able to handle any complaint you have about another member and I would be able to address any concerns you have about the billing on your account. We are currently experiencing high volume in our call center, but we are doing everything we can to minimize the wait for our members.

Kristen
    Care.com MemberCare Representative

• Jm
      6th of Jun, 2012
    Care.com - unethical
    Care.com

I was another victim of the automatic renewal scam from Care.com. I signed up for a one month membership and they continued to renew it without my permission. I would never work with them again.

• Kr
      26th of Jul, 2012

Hello, I am a Member care representative from Care.com. I do apologize for any misunderstanding. Our memberships on the site are subscription-based, but they can be canceled at any time. Members are made aware of the automatic renewal on both the payment page and on the confirmation page. You have the opportunity to set a reminder on the confirmation page that sends out an email notification seven days before the account is set to renew. Again I apologize for the misunderstanding, but wish you the best of luck in the future.

• Li
      2nd of Aug, 2012

TO: Those who are really pissed off at Care.com for fraudulent charge and misleading advertisement and unstoppable recurring charges even after you cancel the service, PLEASE file a complaint with FBI's Internet Crime Report Center.
    If all of us who were scammed by these people file, something GOOD will come out of it.

File a Complaint

The IC3 is co-sponsored by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C). Complaints filed via this website are processed and may be referred to federal, state, local or international law enforcement or regulatory agencies for possible investigation. I understand any investigation opened on any complaint I file on this website is initiated at the discretion of the law enforcement and/or regulatory agency receiving the complaint information.

• Lu
      18th of Jan, 2013
    Care.com - care.com can be useful but be careful of recurring charges
    care.com

Care.com can be useful but BE CAREFUL of recurring charges. I used the site to find someone to take care of my dad during the day, and found a couple good people, but forgot about the billing fees. Ended up paying more than double what I thought I was going to pay.

• Do
      31st of Oct, 2013

HERES A WAY TO BEAT THEM AT THEIR OWN GA ME IF THEY REFUSE TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION CANCEL YOUR CREDIT CARD, SAY IT WAS MISPALCED, STOLEN WHATEVER! BEAT THESE HORRIBLE SOULLESS PEOPLE AT THEIR OWN GAME! THEY ARE DEMONS & DONT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT ANYBODY OR ANYTHING EXCEPT MONEY! TO HELL WITH YOU CARE.COM

• Me
      5th of Nov, 2013

Hi Elisa,

We're sorry to hear about your experience with Care.com. If you choose to cancel your membership before the end of your subscription, you should continue to have the full access to the site, and we are sorry if this wasn't your experience. We hope you were able to contact our Member Care department to hopefully clarify what happened in your specific case.

Regards,
    Care.com Member Care Representative

• Me
      6th of Nov, 2013

Hi Lublen,

We are sorry about the confusion regarding billing on your account. All of our subscriptions are set up to automatically renew as stated on the upgrade page, and in our terms of use. Our service is set up like this because we would not want to interrupt anybody in the middle of their search process, or while they are attempting to communicate with possible candidates. You can edit this setting at any point after upgrading in the Account & Settings page, or by calling or emailing us at any point before the renewal date.

We are glad to hear that you were able to find some good caregivers through our site!

Best Regards,