Canon Powershot A720 / Refused to honor sale on Camera

1 TX, United States Review updated:

On 7/13/08 I ordered a camera they had just put on sale, the Canon Powershot A720.

When I got my email order confirmation I noticed that the shipping date was two weeks away. I emailed customer support and was told the item was in stock but would now not ship until three weeks away!

They couldn't explain it any further. I emailed executive customer support and got no response for nearly a week. I finally got a response from a Prem R when I copied the email again to Dell's Customer Advocacy. Prem R claimed to have called me with no success - which was a lie since all of our phones have caller id and none showed any unknown or blocked numbers.

After three days I finally was able to reach Prem R at the number he gave and he claimed that Canon discontinued that model camera and I would have to go the Dell's web site and order another, more expensive, camera or cancel the order. He refused to honor the sale price or even a similar discount on another order. I declined to cancel.

I then checked Canon's web site and also called them and confirmed that the Canon Powershot A720 was a current model that had only been on the market eight months. They couldn't understand why anyone would claim it was discontinued.

I emailed Prem R and others at Dell once again about this. They never replied but did (around 8/4/08) cancel my order without informing me directly about the cancellation.

Comments

• Ji
      11th of Aug, 2008

I went to buy one of these on Aug 9 and was told by a salesman at Sears that they didn't have any left and that this model is discontinued.

My guess is that Canon doesn't want to officially announce to customers that it's discontinued, or that a new model is coming, until all the channel inventory sells out.

19th of Aug, 2008

Ditto with me, I ordered on July16 and they sent a noreply mail on July30 saying my order is cancelled stating, "The manufacturer has discontinued item number A1267635"