Brinks Home Security / failure to pay damages!

We had Brinks Home Security install a home alarm system. I have no problems with their alarm. It seems to work fine. Their installers, however, unplugged our freezer during their installation and it resulted in $1,500 worth of steaks and other food being destroyed. We called Brinks and after 6 months of phone calls, they decided they'll pay us $500. Even though we have the damaged good, they're claiming we have no proof. They claim they wanted paper receipts for all items. We gave them pictures of all the damaged items showing the prices. They still refused to give us the full value of the food. This company will screw you.

Comments

• Je
      2nd of Apr, 2009

$1, 500 worth of steak and food? First off, I don't work for Brinks, I'm just here to do research before I decide on my purchase. But really, get over yourself.

• Fo
      3rd of Jul, 2009

Can you try and Take them to small claims court? Its only $30 - 100 to file in most places and you don't need a lawyer and they can't bring one either.

I'm had them for 4 1/2 years now and mostly good service but recently their customer service gave me a really bad attitude on the phone and they wanted to charge me $120 or something per hour to have a rep come out and fix my phone lines so they work with the alarm system after I changed phone companies. I have their "Platinum Service Plan" which is like $5/month extra but they still don't care. Its not what I was told when I signed up. I ended up figuring out the wiring myself.

Also, they recently broke the contract billing terms by automatically increasing my monthly rate without warning. I was told it would never increase as long as I remain a customer. I was set at $32.99 and then recently they just started charging me $34.99 without notice. Its really shady! Beware of their billing practices and contracts. Read everything in the contract and get the sales person to sign a separate contract that you draw up which covers any extra promises he/she makes such as "your rate will never change"

Dave

• Ro
      2nd of Oct, 2009

the contract clearly states that the service plan does not cover any thing that YOU do to the system ie change phone carriers change out doors or take a hammer to the keypad and why would it im a tech for a dealer branch and ive experienced them all and have never had a customer complain once it was explained and if ive said it once ive said it a hundred times READ YOUR CONTRACT no one can complain about anything that they themselves have signed off on