Bray and Scarff

Posted:

Buyers beware!

4.55
Bray and Scarff - www.brayandscarff.com

I bought an entire new kitchen from Bray & Scarff (SubZero Refrigerator, Viking Cooktop, GE Trivection Double Ovens, Bosch dishwasher, SubZero undercounter refrigerator/freezer). I even paid ~$1,200 more than a "big box" store because my Saleswomen was extremely helpful and she assured me that Bray and Scarff stands behind everything they sell). My first call for service for the undercounter frig (it wasn't getting cold) resulted in the serviceman telling me "I have never seen one of these, I don't know how to fix it"... I called another repairman. My second repair call attempt on the big SubZero Refrigerator started out with me being told by the repairman that he only comes out to confirm that I have a problem. He read the same error codes on the frig that I did to the Service Rep when I called and that someone else would have to come out to fix it, which would be 5 days later. (I have lost food twice, because I had stopped at the grocery store to restock what had spoiled because, silly me, I thought my refrigerator was going to be fixed on the first visit.

I called their service department to question why a Service/Repair Company does not carry repair any parts, and was told that EVERY repair call will take at a minimum TWO visits. One to verify that there is a problem and another to possibly repair it! If they can! Buyers Beware! Had I chance to purchase again, I would NEVER buy from Bray and Scarff again.
Complaint comments Comments (29) Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

Comments

A  20th of Nov, 2007 by    +2 Votes
I had a $1200 dishwasher ( only 90 days old) practically catch fire and then they took 3.5 weeks to replace the parts only to show up the day before Thanksgiving missing 1 key part. I paid for the extra warranty because they convinced me that they were better then Sears for warranty work. I have used Sears - they are 1000 times better then B & S

Let this be formal notice to Bray - if my kitchen catches fire because you ###s would not replace the dishwasher and instead "tried" to fix it, B&S will be my store when my lawyers finish with you.

I am very sorry I spent almost $15K with this company.
A  11th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
We bought a dishwasher, refrigerator, stove and washer and dryer all from Bray & Scarff. Every single one of them has had a problem and they are all less than 3 years old. B&S blames us for not buying the extended warranties (I didn't know that appliances broke 12-18 mths after purchase) but I'm glad I didn't b/c I doubt the service would be any better. I agree with the above that B&S requires 2 visits to determine the problem and THEN fix it. I fight with them every time giving them a diagnosis over the phone (when possible) and then have refused to pay for the visit when what I suggested was wrong isn't fixed on the first visit (after being told it could be) The repairmen don't know the appliances and they have terrible attitudes. I think it is absurd that they travel with no parts, especially for small repairs. DON'T BUY from B&S. I'm sorry we did. Even their repairmen complain about them... perhaps that is why I've never seen the same one twice.
D  21st of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have worked in the appliance service industry before, it is literally impossible to carry every part for every brand. When servicing unless the product could be repaired by adjustment or onsight 9 times out of 10 you had to make a return call to repair it.

As for Bray, I have used them in the past and purchased because the all departments are within the same company.. no sub contractors. I had one thing installed by lowes and it was done wrong. They blew me off and told me to call the contractor..
A  3rd of Jan, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I have to agree with the others' negative assessment of Bray & Scarff service. My Bosch washer was working, but the timer was a little off. A repairman took it apart, then said I needed a certain part. He couldn't reassemble what he undone... or, at least, wouldn't because he said he'd be back in two days. That was over 5 weeks ago.

Still waiting. The part was supposed to be at the shop; no, a week to order; no, another week; no, another week; then one part in but a second part I never knew about still wasn't in; then someone was to come yesterday, but no one called.

Meanwhile, B&S has never called, as promised, during this ordeal. I had to call them each time and sit on hold due to "high call volume" each time for at least five minutes but often more.

One has the sense that the service division is poorly managed, with inadequate staffing and computing.

In the past I could have lived with this. Now I have a baby. I need to go to a laundrymat afterwork twice a week, seeing her for only about 30 minutes before she goes to bed. It's been an expense ($40 and counting for laundry) and a major inconvenience.

Oh, and this is still not resolved going into week 6. I called today. "Let me run over to the parts department to see what's going on; I'll call you right back," the rep said. That was two hours ago.

-cw
D  30th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
I do not agree with the negative comments. Have you ever been to one of their stores? They carry alot of brands that other places do not. I have purchased from other places in the past and they want you to call 5 different service companies for each of the brands. I know Bray & Scarff carries parts, they just can't carry them all. At least you get a real person when you call in (when the phones are working).
D  2nd of Feb, 2008 by    -1 Votes
I have nothing but good things to say about Bray and Sarff. The staff is very knowledgable and pleasant to deal with. I have bought many appliances from them in the past and will continue to do so in the future. Most of my experiences were great. The delivery people were on time and knew what they were doing. There were times when things went wrong but Bray and Scarff made them right in a timely fashion. That's all I ask. People seem to forget that they are only the middleman when it comes to these things. If the manufacturer made a bad product, it's not Bray and Scarff's fault, it's the manufacturer's fault. As far as service goes, Bray and Scarff is not perfect by any means, but they are much better than say Sears. There's no way B&S can have every part on hand of every appliance ever made. I understand things must be ordered on an as needed basis. Like said before, I have bought many things from Bray and Scarff in the past, and I will continue to do so in the future.
A  25th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
In Decemeber 2007, I called for service to get my oven which had stopped working fixed. A technician came in early January to fix the oven but I was told that he needs to order some parts which will arrive in a few weeks. I tried to be patient knowing that my oven will be fixed soon. In Early February the heating elements in my range started malfunctioning, I called the Bray and Scarff service department to report this and also informed them that I also have a pending repair for my oven, I was informed that a part was already ordered and they are awaiting for the part. I told the service representative that they could not possibly have ordered the part because when the technician first came to my house the heating elements where still working. Anyway I was told that they will send a technician and note that. A few weeks have passed and no technician showed up to check on my heating elements, I called many times to check on my service request. Many times I would be put on hold or be promised that they will make sure that the problem will be taken care soon. I kept on calling several times more, stressing my concern that if all my heating elements stop working I will be in trouble as I have a child who suffers from extreme food allergies, and require only homecooked meals. Again I was told that they are still waiting for the parts. I again clarified that there are two things wrong with my range one, which is the oven and a technician actually came to look at the problem in January but I was told that he needs to order a part, and the other problem was the front heating elements. I was told that all the parts are in order but they will send a technician. A technician finally showed up at the end of March but he only was able to fix the oven. He told me that he needed to order another part and will be back in around 7 days. Again, I patiently waited and it has been almost over a month since I was promised that he will come back with the part to fix the heating element. I called Bray and Scarff Service today, April 25, 2008 to inquire about the status of my service call. They told me that they do not have a record of any order of any parts or any pending repairs scheduled for my range. I once again asked to talk to a manager, I was put on hold and was promised that a manager will call me. I took the name of the manager who is supposed to call me and was given the name of John Lardy. Mr. Lardy is one of the two managers I had previously talked to in February, he was not very helpful at that time he promised to look into it and call me back but never did. The other manager who I dealt with was Holly, she too was not very helpful. They both made promises that they will get back to me to give me a definite schedule for repair but never did. I feel so frustrated with the kind of service I have received. This is so unacceptable, if your company sells service you should be able to deliver your service to the costumer’s satisfaction. I believe my demands to get my range fixed As soon as possible is very reasonable. I paid for the service contract and should get the service that was promised to me. It took almost 4 mos. to get my oven fix and it's been almost 3 months since i reported the heating elements of my range... I want to let everyone who is planning to get a warranty thru bray and scarff or buy applainces from bray and scarff to be warry and maybe look for other companies that are more reputable
A  25th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I agree, i think we should all consolidate our complaint and file a class action lawsuit to GE warranty who owns the service contracts and to Bray and scarff service dept.
A  4th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
In the past we were very happy with Bray and Scarff of our appliances so we scheduled a service when one of the igniters of our two years old GE oven you installed was not working.

The technician arrive on time and told us that the problem is likely to be the igniter (the rest of the oven was fully functional) which is occasionally go bad in such ovens, that he carry the part and the part cost $160. We authorize the repair and within approximetly10 minutes the technician replaced the defective parts and we paid 168 for the visit and the part.
On second thought, the price of the igniter seems too high and we checked the price on the internet and find out the price of the part is $30-60. We thought that this was an error in billing and called the company for a price for replacing an igniter, the customer service person told us that they don’t provide estimates over the phone. In a second phone call the customer service person (Brenda) told us that the part cost only $32 and asked us to fax the receipt.

We faxed the receipt and she called back and told us that the price was correct and that the price was for part and labor. We told her again that the technician told us that $160 was the price of the part and it is not reasonable to pay $262.1 for $32 part and 10 minutes work (including 84.25 trip charge and 9.15 tax) (which is half of the cost of the oven) but she said that this is your price.

Our complain is:
1. We were mislead and were not told the real price of the part, if we new that we will be charged $168 for $32 part and 10 minutes work we would not authorize this repair.
2. The company does not provide estimates
3. The company overcharged us for this very simple repair

Although the service is excellent, we will not use the company again, we will not recommend the service and we filed a complained with the Better Business Bureaus
A  24th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have purchased two ice makers (sub zero and viking) 2 Fisher Paykel dish washers, Whirlpool HE washer and dryer and calling their service department is an unbelievable experience. I have a Sub Zero that needs a new icemaker line, however, since I did not purchase it from them (Kitchen Designer purchased everything) they won't repair it even if they are coming to repair my ice maker.

I have advised them i will NEVER purchase another appliance from them again and will certainly never use them for service. I went to the SubZero site found a local repair company and they are coming out tomorrow to take care of it.

CD in DC
A  9th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
I agree that their service is deplorable. My GE Profile refrigerator stopped cooling. The service guy was sceduled to come ONE week later; told me he had to order the part (motherboard) and would come back with it. He ordered and came back next week to tell me they sent the generic part which cannot be used, so he would re order and come back. One week later (that's 3 weeks so far) he comes, fixes it. Fine.
But 2 weeks later it's not cooling again!! I have to call and schedule another appointment now!!! I will tell them on the phone that it's the mother board and the guy better come with it and fix it in a week. It's ridiculous that it takes them 3 weeks to replace a simple part!! Very disappointing!
A  10th of Mar, 2010 by    -1 Votes
Bray and Scarff should be Brey and Scarf as in they brey about how good their service is while they schmooze you into a purchase, then they scarf up your money and give you absolutely no service without a fight and major agita. Any smart consumer researches the actual purchase, but I do believe it's just as important to research the company from which you intend to purchase. The specifics are to long, but suffice it to say that the term service after the sale means nothing to this company. Once your out the door with your purchase, your also out of their minds service wise. Do your research anytime you want to make a major purchase.In my case I did get a measure of revenge for shoddy customer service. I took the rest of the money for my major kitchen renovation-about 30, 000 dollars, and left it with another company with a sterling reputation.Then I wrote B&S (such fitting initials)and told them how they lost 30 k. In this economy, that's one of the best statements you can make!
N  28th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
Thanks for the heads up everyone. I am looking for a simple microwave oven, nothing expensive and because it will be an inexpensive purchase I may have been led into buying a warranty. But now, because of these postings I will not do business with B&S, ha BS! I also had a friend that had some problem with an oven and cook top from them. Once again a part issue, in his case it arrived broken. I don't think it ever did get replaced. Thanks.
A  18th of Apr, 2010 by    -1 Votes
My wife and I purchased a couple of things from Bray and Scarff. A washing machine, dishwasher and stove. They were very nice through out the sale but that was it. The delivery got delayed and had more problems after. They did not seem to care and we will never use them again. I guess the big box stores are our only option. You would think as some others have posted in a economy like this they would treat you right but they have awful post sale customer service. I would recommend staying away from them.
N  2nd of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
Bray and Scarff sold me a complete monogram kitchen ($15, 000) and then told me in addition to the $1000 quoted delivery and installation costs I agreed to, that an additional $2500 would be necessary if I wanted to get the refridgerator into the kitchen. They are thieves.
N  30th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
Their service is deplorable? Now that is an understatement. I have a cook top and it is under warranty BUT it took them EIGHT trips to fix my cooktop ...EIGHT TRIPS...the first six or so they just replaced parts until everything was new and it still did not work right. Most the Techs are clueless .I had to explain to them how this new cooktop worked and then they would say, I never say this before, NOW that’s comforting to hear. They don’t even keep up with the new products they have to service .Finally I think on the seventh trip the tech. got my burners working BUT the igniter kept sparking .The tech. said he could not fix that and would talk to his boss and they would call me back . After a week went by I had to call them. It took five phone calls to finally get the manager to call me back FIVE! I kept getting the runaround and each time I called I was promised the manager would call me right back. Well she did not say the same day, what was I thinking…. stupid of me .This is a good one also, for one service appointment I was waiting for the Tech to come and I get a phone call and the tech. said he was not coming now he was just ordering parts . They make the appointment and verify the date with me and then they decide not to come NICE!!! On the Last trip and new tech ( The GOOD Tech.)came out open the cooktop and said it was a lose wire and after eight Trips and endless phone calls that mostly were never returned my cook top now works . The funny thing is ( and it's never funny) I made several phone calls to the manager of the service Dept. trying to understand why he would let this go on for so long, he could of cared less if I lost time at work or they lost money with so many trip to my house . So what did I learn?? The service is deplorable some of the techs. are clueless and the mangers are incompetent, HEY but they have good-looking trucks what more can a customer ask for. The reason I’m writing this is because I’m waiting for that same manager to call me back because I need a part for my cooktop. I call him six days ago and explained that on one of the many service trips to my house I pointed out to the Tech that this part needed to be replaced because it was falling off. The tech. said he would take care of that. Well the manager said he would call back the next day, five days later I had to call and I talked to his receptionist at 9am and was assured he would call me right back, at 2pm I called again and got the same response and at 4pm I gave it one more try and was informed he would call me right back. Well you know the rest of the story. So ...today my quest is to talk to manger wish me good luck.
A  9th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
It is December 2010. We have been without our washing machine now for seven weeks. Bray and Scarff keeps coming over, trying to fix it, and failing. Weeks go by without their contacting us. It is under warranty, but we may just give up and buy a new one. Definitely from someone else. They sell cheaply but then do not honor their agreements. The single crappiest customer service department I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. There's a reason their initials are B.S.
D  25th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
Bray and scarff is probably lucky to be rid of such complainers. You all sound like a bunch of whiners. Weshould consolidate our complaints and call a lawyer... Blah Blah Balh. This is what is wrong with our country.
D  21st of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Any appliance company takes two or more trips to fix a repair problem. This is true for all companies. No one keeps
all the parts for all the brands on their trucks. You will not have any better experience elsewhere
N  16th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
HORRIBLE SERVICE. I needed to repair my dishwasher for a routine part switch-out and was given the earliest appointment ten days later. That was cancelled since the repairman prognosed, en route to appointment, that a keypad needed to be ordered. Part needed "special" approval for second appointment scheduled two weeks later. That appointment was cancelled when new part was apparently tested, found to be defective, and needed to be reordered. Two weeks later repairman finally arrives, installs part, and finds that yet another part is necessary and must be ordered. Bray and Scarff will call me when it arrrives. Weeks later, after numerous calls to prompt service, the ordered part comes in and is installed. I finally have a working dishwasher. ALMOST THREE MONTHS LATER. How Bray and Scarff stays in business is a mystery to me.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree