Boingo Wireless / huge undisclosed fees

United States Review updated:

Boingo Wireless advertises low rates. When you create an account, you give a credit card number. I recently was in Germany at a hotel and they had wireless internet access. I clicked on the browser and Boingo came up. I could not get on the hotel service because the Boingo service came up. I had no information as to cost or time of service. I did click on Boingo and got online. I got home two days ago and had two bills from Boingo for $19.95 each. I had no information on how much the service would cost or its timeframe. I called Boingo re this and was told that when I signed up (at least 6 months ago) there was a message regarding foreign signups, but not what it would cost. I was also told that I could have gone online to find out what the charge would be. How can I get online without signing up for service where I was. I was told by Bianca Carmichael that I should have done that before I left. I did not know where I would be when I left. This company is exploiting its customers. I canceled my account and will not use it again. I will put these amounts in dispute with my credit card company.

Si

Comments

• La
      9th of Feb, 2010

Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with Boingo. I assure you that we *never* intend to exploit our customers, and we're sorry to hear that you feel this way. In fact, we strive everyday to provide our customers with an excellent Boingo experience. We want you to be happy with Boingo, and as such, we'd like to make things right.

It sounds like you connected with the Boingo software at your hotel in Germany, which would incur a charge of $19.95 USD for 24 hours of access in one location. As an example, our Boingo AsYouGo plan description states: "Enjoy Boingo Wi-Fi for the next 24 hours at this hotspot for just $7.95. Future connections will be billed at just $7.95 per connection at individual hotspots within North and South America, $9.95 per connection at individual hotspots in Asia/Pacific, and $19.95 per connection at individual hotspots in Europe, Middle East, and Africa."

Please email me at lsanyal at boingo dot com with your username, and I'll be happy to investigate further. With this information, I can pinpoint precisely which plan you have and determine exactly what happened.