Bluegreen Resorts / scam and rip off!

Novi, MI, United States Review updated:

We were mailed some information about Bluegreen telling us we won four free airline tickets and a cruise and a free visa card and a free dinner. All we had to do was listen to a forty-five min. presentation. They keep us there three hours and we finally said yes after they promised us a free Florida vacation. Everytime we tried to set up our vacation nothing was available. Nobody returned our telephone calls. We never got the free gifts, only a fifty dollar visa card.

Now we are paying a yearly fee, for what we don't know. We are trying to sell, but no help is coming from Bluegreen. We decided to stop paying the monthly payments. Bluegreen turned us over to a collection agency and now we have one bad thing on our credit report. We are still trying to get out of this nightmare. If Bluegreen calls on you, run away from them as fast as possible.
Va

Comments

An
  15th of Mar, 2008
Have you gotten out of your nightmare yet, I'm Having the SAME ONE, only I'm now trying to purchase a house and with this nonsense on my credit, i'm having the hardest time! I need a way out as well, if you have found out any info on getting out PLEASE let me know! This HOUSE is a REal thing for me my husband and two Kids, we need a house TO Live in!!!
Ja
  3rd of Jun, 2008
Who are you people trying to get over on?! Blue-Green is far from a scam. If you are paying a monthly payment to them it is because you chose to purchase the time share. It is a very formal process, and is actually considered real estate; therefore your payments are considered a mortgage. There is no way on earth, let me repeat NO WAY you could have "bought this offer blind". I am also a Blue-Green owner, and it is completely legitimate as well as a great value. My family and I use their resorts several times a year, and this is one of the best purchases we have ever made. Not only must you agree to the financing, you actually have to choose an offer that best suits your needs as your stays are based on a points system. So, the moral of this email is this: Blue Green does not scam anyone--if you are an owner of their property, it is because you chose to do so and knew exactly what you were buying. If anyone out there doesnt believe me, just go sit through one of their presentations and speak with a sales person. You will see for yourself. Yeah, I must admit they can be a bit pushy during the sales presentations, but it is a "sales" job, and why wouldnt they be persistent? Those of you who say you were scammed or this is a negative mark on your credit report: YOU NEED TO START PAYING YOUR BILLS AND BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OBLIGATIONS IN WHICH YOU AGREE TO. Im sure you enjoyed the free gift card or cash they gave you just for touring the property and listening to the presentation. If you didnt want to make such a large purchase, all you have to say is "NO". I took the promotions 3 times and declined before I decided to purchase.
Ro
  4th of Nov, 2008
Hey ah...Jarvis, read it and weep!!

HARRISBURG - Attorney General Tom Corbett today announced lawsuits today against four Florida-based companies accused of illegally marketing vacation packages, using "free" airline ticket offers and other worthless prizes to lure consumers into aggressive and deceptive timeshare presentations.

Corbett said consumer protection lawsuits were filed against Bluegreen Corporation, Bluegreen Resorts, Bluegreen Vacations Unlimited, Inc. and Great Vacations Destinations, Inc., all of Boca Raton, Florida. Bluegreen contacted consumers by phone and through kiosks at shopping malls, fairs, and festivals throughout Pennsylvania, and also operates full-time sales facilities in Hershey and King of Prussia.

"Virtually any consumer with a checkbook and a pulse allegedly qualified as a 'winner' in these promotions, " Corbett said. "Unsuspecting consumers who believed they were contest winners were actually drawn into a high pressure bait-and-switch campaign designed to push timeshare vacation packages costing thousands of dollars."

Corbett said more than 5, 700 Pennsylvania residents purchased Bluegreen timeshares, with many paying $20, 000 to $40, 000 or more for packages that violated Pennsylvania's Consumer Protection Law, the Real Estate Licensing and Registration Act, the Telemarketer Registration Act and other consumer regulations.

Phony Prizes
Corbett said that Bluegreen representatives allegedly called consumers who believed they were entering contests and other promotions promising cars, cash and vacations.

According to the lawsuit, consumers were told that they had not won the "grand prize, " but had been selected to receive other items, like free airline tickets. Consumers were also promised free gasoline and meals when they collected their prize, if they attended a 90 minute timeshare presentation.

Corbett said the lawsuit alleges that consumers who were contacted by Bluegreen were not actually randomly selected prize winners. Instead, virtually everyone who entered the contests was contacted and falsely told that they were a prize winner.

In one case, Corbett said a consumer informed a Bluegreen representative that the person they were trying to reach did not live at that address. The consumer was told that it wasn't a problem - they would give her a prize too.

High Pressure Sales and False Advertising
Corbett said that in order to collect their "prizes, " consumers were required to schedule an appointment with a Bluegreen sales representative. In some cases, consumers who believed they would be attending a 90 minute timeshare presentation were actually subjected to relentless marketing pitches that lasted five hours or more.

According to the lawsuit, numerous deceptive statements were made to consumers during these presentations in an effort to get them to sign contracts immediately, including phony claims that prices would increase the next day, misrepresentations about when and where consumers could travel if they made a purchase and false statements about certain fees being waived.

Corbett said that some consumers bought vacation programs because they were told they were entitled to a one-week stay in Hawaii, only to learn afterward that the program they purchased could not be used in Hawaii.

According to the lawsuit, consumers who sat through the timeshare presentations received "prizes" that were nothing like what they had been promised. The "four free airline tickets" were actually booklets that offered two airline tickets with each hotel room reserved, at high prices, in a limited number of cities. In some situations, consumers were required to commit to a 10 night stay at overpriced hotel rates before being able to select a local airport for their flight.

Corbett said "free" gasoline and meals that consumers were promised turned out to be coupons or certificates with lengthy terms and conditions. For instance, consumers who were promised $40 in free gas were required to submit written requests to obtain a series of gas coupons. The coupons required consumers to pay for their gas first and then mail a receipt for reimbursement, with each coupon limited to a $5 purchase, with no more than one purchase per month.

Illegal Contracts
Corbett's said contracts used by Bluegreen failed to properly inform consumers of their right to cancel their purchase. Pennsylvania law requires that consumers have five days to cancel any timeshare or campground purchase. Bluegreen is also accused of violating a state law that requires all consumer contracts to be written in easy-to-understand terms.

Do Not Call Violations
According to the lawsuit, Bluegreen made numerous calls to consumers who were on Pennsylvania's Do Not Call list, allegedly basing those calls on referrals from other customers. Additionally, the companies are accused of making repeated calls to consumers who clearly told them not to call again.

"Bluegreen took advantage of hardworking Pennsylvania residents eager to find an affordable getaway, " Corbett said. "Using deceptive contests, relentless sales presentations and misleading contracts, consumers were pressured into paying thousands of dollars for vacation packages that don't meet their needs or their budgets."

Corbett said the lawsuits seek restitution for consumers who suffered financial losses because of these deceptive or illegal practices.

Additionally, Corbett says the lawsuit asks the court to void all illegal consumer contracts and give consumers the right to cancel any agreement that did not include the state-required notice of cancellation.

The lawsuit also seeks up to $1, 000 in civil penalties for each violation of the Consumer Protection Law, or up to $3, 000 for each violation involving a senior citizen.

The lawsuits were filed in Commonwealth Court, in Harrisburg, by Senior Deputy Attorney General David Sumner of the Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Corbett says the investigation began after consumers contacted his office to report these practices. He encouraged other consumers who have problems with Bluegreen to file a complaint by calling the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-441-2555 or submit an online consumer complaint.

www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=3999 LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD-NOW!!!
Bi
  8th of Nov, 2008
Yeah, your correct Jarvis, the only problem is that the people selling this "real estate" ARE NOT licensed real estate agents!!
So, that alone is a big violation of the law in ALL states!
HELLO????
You're like phil who talks out of his ###!
Bu
  14th of May, 2009
First of all anyone who believes they won a contest that they did not enter, deserve what they get.

However, Blue Green tried that stuff with me, I knew I did not win a contest, but I knew that time share companies DO give away good stuff to sit through their presentation. As for whether it is a 45 minute presentation or a 3 hour one they do not chain to the chair if you chose to sit there 3 hours, and than you chose to purchase the time share, than those were choices you made, don't blame the sale person.

Here is my experience. I knew it was a time share, I also knew I didi not win anything, but I went to the presentation anyway just to see what it was about. I sat through about an hour, than tried the sample package which cost about $900. I than went on 2 trips to Boyne Highlands, and received a $50 Gift card, a free weekend in Vegas, and 4 plane tickets, which the informed my right away that I could not use the plane tickets and the Vegas trip together. After the sample package was over I than chose to purchase the time share. In just 3 years I have traveled to Mexico, Aruba, Florida, and Boyne. I am planning St Martin now. I also recomended Blue Green to a friend who sat through a 1 hour and 15 minute presentation in Novi, but did NOT purchase anything, he still got a weekend trip to Myrtle Beach, 4 plane tickets which he used to visit family in Florida and a $50 gift card.

My experience with Blue Green has been great As long as you know what you are getting into when you attend the meeting. People that think they are getting something extraordinary for nothing are just fooling themselves, understand you are going to a sales pitch, if you cannot say no than don't go.
Cu
  6th of Jul, 2009
These guys should be in jail. I nearly got talked into one of these "free vacations" that ended up costing me $400.
At the end of the 40 min sales pitch and after I gave my credit card details I was finally told half the story - a damn timeshare sales scheme. I have never fallen for anything like this before - they are very skillful at getting you in and misleading you. Now I'm still trying to get my money back, and believe me they are not making it easy.

Bluegreen Vacations Logo Bluegreen Vacations