Bluegreen Resorts / don't buy a bluegreen timeshare

United States Review updated:
4.1
Buying a Bluegreen timeshare is a terrible decision. They, like many salespeople, will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to buy, knowing that they will not personally be accountable for any misrepresentations of the truth later on.

One thing they promised us is that we could rent our timeshare. Now they've done away with that aspect as well, so you either use it, keep paying about $700 in fees each year along with whatever you paid originally, or you just lose the points. Every letter we receive is something else they're taking away from us.

The most recent thing that happened was that we had tried to rent ours out for 10,000 points (most of our points) before they decided to stop letting people do that. So I called today, 10 days in advance, to check and make sure it was rented, since this is the cut-off for when I can cancel without losing points. So the guy on the phone told me that yes, it is rented. And I asked, "Well, what happens if the people cancel sometime in the next 10 days?" He said, "We don't have any control over that, sir." And I said, "I understand that, but I don't either. So what happens to my points if they cancel?" And he said, "Well, you lose those points."

So some renter I don't even know can decide to back out at the last minute, and I lose 10,000 points and don't get to travel or make any money from my timeshare for 2 years! That seems fair...

Everything Bluegreen does seems to be a way to get themselves more money and screw over their "valued customers."

And Bluegreen, if you're reading this, don't bother calling me trying to get me to revoke it... you're a horrible company, and we're trying to sell our timeshare as quickly as we can and hopefully never have any interaction with you for as long as we live.

Comments

Be
  19th of Jan, 2008
(from same person)

Even more recent development... our timeshare did rent after all (through Bluegreen) ... they had told us that it would rent for at least $3,000, and probably more like $4,000. It was the high season at their most popular place, Boyne Falls, Missouri (near the Ozarks). We decided to rent it to try to get some of our money back that had poured down the huge financial hole which is Bluegreen. Well, we received our check today... a whopping $700!! Seven hundred dollars! They rented our 10,000 points (which is really all we get for two years) for $1,100... they get to keep 30 percent, of course. We were flabbergasted. Had they simply called and said, "We realize this is your property and these are your points, and we were wondering if you are willing to rent for $1,100," we would have instantly said, "NO!" But they didn't. It was completely out of our hands. So now we can't travel anywhere for two years, and all of our points were used for what will barely pay for one year of owning Bluegreen. We can't travel for two years, but we get to keep paying fees!

It's come to the point where we will probably just stop paying our fees, which means we won't ever be able to travel anywhere with them. It seems unethical to sell such a huge burden to someone else. And we'll just have to treat that $10,000 we paid as a lesson learned, which is: never... ever... buy from Bluegreen. They will tell you whatever you want to hear, but everything will change once they have their money. We thought they were different, but apparently they just have better-than-average salespeople that seem more genuine than usual.
Lo
  20th of Apr, 2008
Please engage your brain before typing your comments

Please Please tell me where I can invest just $10000 and get a return ont of upto $4000 per year year in year out

And if you do stop making your payments I do Hope that Bluegreen sue you for full payment of outstanding fees and recovery costs.

Why should the rest of us have to bail you out
Mi
  11th of May, 2008
My in-laws are owners they rent out one of their weeks themselves. By advertising online, Listing a certain week in a certain place available. For X amount of dollars that way they get 100 % of the money from the renter. You might want to try this before you throw your hands up and just give up. I have also seen them in the newspaper under classifieds.
Be
  7th of Jun, 2009
To Phillip: Maybe you missed the part where we got $700 for 10, 000 points. They *tell* you you can get $4, 000, but that didn't happen. Since you seem to feel this is an excellent investment, please respond to this with information on how to reach you so that you can buy our 12, 000 points. We'd be happy to enrich your life by selling them to you, since you obviously know how to benefit from them.
Sh
  14th of Apr, 2010
Bluegreen is singly the most unethical, immoral and detestible company in business today. Their sales sluts will use high pressure and out right lies to sucker people in. Then...after you've signed your name to their contract you discover on page 4 of the public offering Bluegreen is not liable for any promises made by their sales agents. Unbelievable. These parasites are without questions the lowest form of trash.

You will not get any of what your told, or shown your going to get...none of it.

They will steal your money and if you refuse to pay they will ruin your credit and threat YOU with legal action...that is incredible. What a band of puss trolls.

Bluegreen Vacations Logo Bluegreen Vacations