Big Lots / hr policy

Big Lots Coode of business Conduct and Ethics states HR manual will be made available to any employee. This is NOT the case at the Lima, Ohio store. This is the second time I have been REFUSED access to said policy manual. It is apparent to me that Big Lots fears information contained in HR manual would undermine their poor management.

Comments

• Za
      9th of Jul, 2011

"There is nothing in it that pertains to your inquiry" or " I have to get permission from the higher ups" then never get back with me. Those statements sound tantamount to a refusal to me!

• Za
      23rd of Jul, 2011

Don't you think I did? I called corp HR department all they said is to refer to associate handbook? Talk about not living up to their own standards!

• Ov
      4th of Aug, 2011

The HR department for this company is paid to side with the higher up's. Trust me they dont want to hear the truth about anything, they are their to protect the dumb district levels employees they hire.

30th of Sep, 2013

Lubbock Texas Big Lots 98Th And Indiana Has ACss Woman Up There Talking Her Private Parts. I AM Fellow EmpLoyee Up There One Offs THe AssistantManagers Was Brought Into To The Conversation And Didn't Tell Her To End It. This Is A Woman Who Has A KiD And Husband. What Should I Do

1st of Oct, 2013

Talking About Her ### And breast

1st of Oct, 2013

And My Phone AUto Corrects

• Du
      31st of Dec, 2015

I WORKED at the Big Lots in Tempe, AZ, and the manager, Becky, apparently does not know SOP, confused, it is illegal to fire an associate "Off the Clock"...Manager 101. I called out for my 1, 3 hour shift of the week, because I had to work my full time job, which was addressed in my interview, after holiday season, and this lady, the manager, which i have had 2 conversations with my whole time employed, tells me i am unreliable. WOW, to whomever had the balls to hire an uneducated and inexperienced manager to run their store!! A blessing in disguise. Thanks. DUSTY MORRISON. EMPLOYEE 1697721

9th of Apr, 2017

I Work for a Big lots in Virginia and only complaint is that. why is it so hard for us has a Company or a Store to know our Weekly Work Schedule before the week is out it is full time now that we has a company get this right.
    sometime we have to wait on till Friday or Saturday before we know what we work for the up coming week and i think that it is so wrong for people how have family

• He
      24th of Sep, 2017

@mark65 I think the problem is with the computer system they require managers to use. Once I understood the system I could see how inefficient is was and how much difficulty it caused. Managers are also penalized for changes they make to it forcing them to wait until last minute to publish it. If managers were not so afraid to complain about maybe corporate would be willing to change it. I cannot imagine they did too much beta testing or they would realize how much more complicated they have made the process.

• Sh
      14th of Jun, 2017

i am an employee at store #4627, in Colorado Springs, CO. I was hired for a stocking/cashier position. During the hiring process, almost a yr ago, i was given .50 cents above minimum wage. This is because i have a lot of experience. Given that I work such early hours, and am part of the team that has the hardest position within the store, i felt i could do this. The position, as a lot know, involves unloading the weekly truck. A truck usually filled with 1000's of pieces that have to be, for the most part taken out piece-by-piece. This includes the extremely heavy furniture pieces that are way too heavy. to be expected to be moved singly. The "higher ups" within this corporation obviously have no clue what the process is like. They would maybe figure out that putting the many many boxes on pallets just may be easier to unload. Or maybe even realize that the pieces of furniture could also be moved easier if on pallets. Instead, they make sure the trucks are filled to the max, with a lot of unnecessary products and merchandise. The process usually takes about 4 hours of non stop, strenuous, bone hard labor No breaks are allowed until the truck is empty. It is unbelievable the audacity of these exec's to want the truck unloaded and placed on pallets, divided up. Once unloaded, there is an insane amount of product, making it difficult to even walk through warehouse. The limited amount of hours offered for this position is just not logical. This position, not only deserves a much higher pay, but enough hours to get it out on the shelves.
    The fact is, this stocking position is way underpaid, and overworked. Going in at 2, or 3, or 4, or sometimes mid night would not be so bad if you were having to come in for more than 4 hours. It is wrong that a young girl can get moved into a position that you not only requested many weeks ago, told that it can happen, but can make as much as i do for the fraction of the labor. Especially when they are half your age. Simply, the logic is lacking when it comes to shifting positions from within, and starting new employees in the position i have been in for almost a yr.
    Next, i was completely appalled when my .50 cents above minimum wage was taken away from me when the min wage was raised.Minimum wage was passed for a reason. If the cost of living went up, it went up for all Americans, including Big Lots associates. My, manager said she put the request in for this to be put back on and told me to make make sure that on my app there is previous experience included. Well this has been almost 2 months ago Part of my previous experience includes Big Lots. I am a former employee, with a 120 number. When i ask about the issue, i am told to hold on, an answer is still being waited on. This is leaning toward an unfair working environment, , making it harder and harder to want to get up at the wee hours of the morning, bust my butt (cramming 8 hours of work into 4 hours is also expected). it is highly illogical for such a huge corporation to see how these practices of expecting intense labor, with lower pay than even mc donalds employees, expecting full time progress in minimal time that is usually 4 hours and not seeing that the majority of hours should be divided up, favoring the most difficult of positions in the store. There really is no benefit to these practices Results are always more work than should have been necessary, or lack of concern for the look of the products for the customers, low morale, uneasy and resentful feelings. It is unnecessary and there is a code of ethics that i am positive the point of being crossed over the line is within a steps away. i t is unfortunate because i have a high work ethic myself that is starting to diminish. I don't want to find myself looking for other employment, but i know i am expendable. Which is also very hard to accept. I pray things change for the better. Work environment for all is more beneficial when there is a camaraderie and fairness. Logically, this makes a more pleasant shopping environment as well.

• He
      24th of Sep, 2017

@Sherry Carias I have been with Big Lots in Massachusetts for about 6 months and started as a stocker. I agree with all your points 100%! Their systems are counter-productive and the goals they set are unattainable unless you find ways to cheat the system. Upper management does not seem to care about what goes on they are only focused on furniture sales and ridiculous loss prevention guidelines. If they were really focused on theft why would you set-up the store with the highest theft items in the hardest to monitor location. Oh and how about how much stuff is damaged on tge truck because of tge insane way that it is shipped.

I enjoy my job and the people I work with but I have taken a position elsewhere because basically the place is slowly killing me. I have spent the last 20 years developing efficiency practices in my chosen field and Big Lots by far has been the least efficient place I have ever work. So much time and energy gets wasted. It also kills morale and drains workers causing high turn-over. We are even having trouble hiring because of the work evironments bad reputation. I hope things get better!