Bidz.com / Steer clear of buying from bidz.com

United States Review updated:
I would never buy from this auction site again. Jewelry is not at all the quality that they attempt to portray on their site and their return policy is where they really make their money. It's inferior to what you would find in Walmart.

They state that they charge a 15% restocking fee for returns but it's more than that. Shipping charges are high in addition to another substantial fee charge they call a trans fee. All these are non-refundable even if you return items even in the same condition that they were received. How much labor is required in restocking small jewelry items? Their site clearly states it's a 15% restocking fee and yet they charged me more than 15%.

I would advise anyone shopping for jewelry to steer clear of buying from bidz.com.

A  16th of Apr, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I purchased several items from bidz and am very disappointed in the quality. I hope that I am able to sell these items and get at least some of my money back.

I purchased a ring on Jan. 12, which never arrived and it took until Apr. 2nd to get a refund. By the time I got the refund, I had lost $44 on the exchange. Quite an expensive lesson, I think. Needless to say, I won't be buying from this company again.
N  12th of Jan, 2008 by
Purchased 2 inexpensive items sent back next day during XMAS 2.5 weeks later still no credit Purchased pippo watch received with no warranties the pinkstraps were stained black and one of the time zones did not work. Sent back immediately .Wait to see what happens. Promised a refund plus trans fee and s@h . mau dispute the charge before I pay off my charge. Purchased a fannoable watch - came in excellent condition purchased peridot earrings - they were beautiful. Its hit and miss Still waiting to see about hou they are in returning credit. Until than...
A  15th of May, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My husband is a Master Jeweler and he and I have a combined total of 30 years experience in the jewelry industry.
When an associate of mine told me about Bidz.com, naturally I was curious. The first thing that I was taken back by were the highly inflated retail prices on ALL of their jewelry.

For example, they often have a multi-colored gemstone flower bracelet in gold which they show with a retail value over $2000. Not the case...the HIGH end retail on this bracelet is around $400 and can more often than not be bought on sale at a reputable store for around $250...I have seen bids on this site go much higher.

Being curious, I bid on 2 items. A large sapphire and diamond ring, which showed well in the picture. Almost too good. I bid a little over $200 for this "$3, 000" value and won. I did receive the item in a timely manner, however, it was NOTHING like the picture. The sidestones advertised as pink tourmalines are not. (low grade pink sapphires) The "I1" clarity I colored diamonds are not. They are all milky and there is no shine at all to them. At best they are drill bit quality.

The only thing I can say about the ring that came close to the truth is that it is white gold...but not the 14k they advertised.

I also made a bid on a 4 ct. citrine and diamond ring at the same time. The mounting isn't right for the stone, it's almost too large in the frame because there are gaps surrounding the stone on the head that should not be there. The diamonds? Same junk grade as the sapphire ring.

I would not purchase here again, and I strongly suggest that anyone thinking about making a purchase does some comparison shopping at some of the reputable jeweler sites like Kay's, Whitehall's, Zales etc. My husband's laughter over the junk I bought still rings in my ears! The junk sits in my jewelry amoire in the bottom junk drawer!
TJ Johnson
N  21st of May, 2008 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Dear Tj,

It is very unfortunate to hear that you have not been satisfied with our merchandise.

The “Compare Price that is shown on the auction page is not the retail value of the item. The Compare Price is based on what we believe to be the maximum prices other jewelers advertise online for similar jewelry items. This price in no way reflects worth, suggested retail price or an actual advertised price. This information can be found in our help section.
Customers must always keep in mind that they set the price. We also do not make the merchandise; all of the merchandise is purchased from liquidators and or companies closing, etc.
All of the item description is provided on the auction showcase, if you have purchased something and is not as we described it to be, you may return it for a refund.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions and or concerns, we are more than pleased to assist you.
A  9th of Jul, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I bought a ring on may 8th and the ring never arrived, now that i have sent thousands of emails complaining they only wirte the same ### and i live in central america, they're telling me to send he paper work via Fedex and that would cost me like $30 US dollars which is not cheap at all, i keeo wirting to them and now they wont anwer. I am so ###in pissed off!! i dont know what to do!!! this is major BS!!
N  17th of Sep, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
this is a criminal enterprize and they prey on the foolish. what i cannot understand is how they can operate in the us. i would never buy from any american website again. I got bidzed
A  19th of Sep, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
the stuff sold on bidz is nothing short of junk, wear it a time or two and it breaks, what a rip off
A  15th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Bidz.com spams craigslist using redirect sites such as auction.ult5.com and jewelrybidsite.com.
N  4th of Apr, 2009 by
Don't forget isaybid.com which spams the heck out of craigslist.
N  14th of Apr, 2009 by

Bidz.com - misrepresenting jewelry quality
Gary H

Bidz.com should be removed from trading. They misrepresented the quality of the diamonds in a very expensive ring I purchased and when I contacted them for a response their only course of action was to attempt to put a halt on my paypal account. If I ever visit the USA I'll be sure to pay them a visit!!
D  21st of Apr, 2009 by
I have done business with bidz.com many times. I have never had a customer service issue, because I have never had to contact their customes service department. I have always recieved exactly what I was told I was getting, and recieved my items in a timely manner. I work in a very labor intensive job and wear my engagement ring every day and have not had any problems with it (e.g. stones falling out, scratches), it is as lovely as the day it was purchased 2 years ago. My experience has been that bidz.com offers quality products at reasonable prices, I buy several pieces from them each year and have found that it is a excelent way for someone of limited means to build a nice little jewlery collection. I am going to post this on all the complaints against bidz.com as I think that people should hear another side of the story, so I have covered some problems not mentioned in this post.
N  24th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
Dear Gary,

We would like to take this time to offer you our most sincerest apologies. It is very unfortunate that you have received a defective item. Please know that Bidz.com offers a Buyers Protection Plan.
As our customer, we believe you should feel good about your purchase. We provide you with detailed descriptions and pictures so you can make an informed decision. All of our items are backed by our 100% Money Back Guarantee. If you receive an item that is not as described we will issue a refund in full.

For further assistance you may always contact us via Live Help, write an email at customerservice@bidz.com or call our toll free number 800-444-8124.
N  26th of Apr, 2009 by
I agree with posters stating the quality often tends to be the lowest end of acceptability. Buyer beware. Pay attention the gram weight (a penny weighs about 2.5 grams), a diamond should have a clairity of SI1 or better, don't pay more than 92% of the compare price unless there is something about the piece making it irresistible to you. Their own explanation of the compare price idicates it can't be taken seriously "The Compare Price is based on what we believe to be the maximum price other jewelers advertise online for similar jewelry items. This price in no way reflects worth, suggested retail price or an actual advertised price."
My first Bidz order had a mix of rings, pendants, bracelets, necklaces and earrings. I was pleased with most, disappointed in a few but that was my own fault as I hadn't learned to paid attention to gram weight. Even so, I didn't over pay by a dime and learned what to look for in future purchases.
D  29th of Apr, 2009 by
i have bought several times from bidz.com. Even this week i had one ring valuation here in australia of over $5, 000 for an aquamarine and tormuline ring around 6 cts plus white gold. i paid bidding with bidz $500 u.s. dollars plus fedex $49.95 and was delivered within 7 days.

I have had several orders, but i only go for the quality items, i bought my daughter some cheap items she's 13. but they are what you get.

more than happy with it all, going on again today to try get some white gold and diamonds...deborah1805 my bidz
N  15th of May, 2009 by
I have purchased many items from BIDZ. I was extremely happy with most. I have had to return 2 rings...one was not the size ordered, and the other had broken stones. I only got a PARTIAL refund.
N  29th of May, 2009 by

Bidz.com - Quality

I've just spent the last hour or so reading the complaints about bidz.com, the online jewelry (and I use that word loosely) auction site. PLEASE, if you are tempted to spend one penny on this low quality (no quality) jewelry, let me advise you that you would be money ahead to just set fire to your money or flush it. You can go to WalMart or K-Mart and find better quality. AND don't even try returning the junk for a refund.
A  19th of Jun, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
This is very true. There is no quality to this jewelry. You will not receive it "as described, " and you can forget about returning it becuase you won't get your full refund. The shipping and handling they charge you is absolutely ridiculous, and then in order to return the garbage, you have to pay again. It cost me $15 to return the garbarge that I purchased from them, and I am now fighting to get my correct refund. I really wished that I had checked the complaint websites and the BBB before I got sucked into getting ripped off by this pathetic excuse for a company. Someone really needs to do something with companies like this who think that it's okay to be deceptive and claim that a customer's satisfaction is their top priority, when it is the last thing they really care about.
N  15th of Dec, 2009 by
I have made complaints to the Better Business Bureau, the Attorney Generals Office, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the FBI through their Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). Please, if you have any evidence at all of possible fraud or just complaints about the way this company does business, I encourage you to do the same as I have, make complaints to the authorities. I have also just now, put in a complaint to the Federal Trade Commision.
N  15th of Dec, 2009 by
Thing is, complaints here are valuable in informing people about the unscrupulous dealings of Bidz.com but best thing we can all do, is start making complaints to the relevant authorities and by flooding the directors of bidz email boxes.

Complaints can be made to...

The Los Angeles Police Department. contact@lapdonline.org
The FBI, IC3. https://complaint.ic3.gov/ctf.aspx
Federal Trade Commission. http://www.ftc.gov/
Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.org/us/
Securities and Exchange Commission. http://www.sec.gov/
US Department of Commerce. http://www.commerce.gov
And anyone else you might think of. I have!

Bidz directors email addresses are...

CEO / David Zinberg. david@bidz.com
President / CTO / Leon Kuperman. lkuperman@bidz.com
CFO / Lawrence Kong. lawrence@bidz.com
COO / Claudia Liu. claudia@bidz.com
CCO / Larry Russell. larry@bidz.com
Vice President / Executive Secretary / Marina Zinberg. marina@bidz.com
Auctions Manager / Vilius Zukauskas. vilius@bidz.com
Don't bother with customer services, there's a contradiction in terms. Go directly to the top people and flood their email boxes.

Don't forget, when approaching the authorities, where you can, provide any evidence you have. Emails, photographs, copies of bidz web site pages, anything that might be relevant. Join me in a campaign to bring these fraudsters down, it is time we did.

And I hope you all have a very merry Christmas.
N  8th of Mar, 2010 by
Like everyone else I got into buying from Bidz.com thinking I was getting a deal on jewelery. Wanted to buy my husband and son some nice gifts. When I went to cash out one of the more expensive items wouldn't come off my order no matter how many ways I tried to cancel it before I made my purchase so I bought it with the rest of the stuff and called them to cancel that one item...they said they took it off and that they were sending me the others. Well it's been over a week and in the mean time I purchased more items. Today I looked up my first items and they never took off my high priced item! Not only that when I went to track those items FedEx has no record of it anywehere. Now I am on these review sights reading some horrifying stories and REALLY regretting getting sucked into this fraud!!! I could really kick myself!

Bidz.com Logo Bidz.com