Best Western Williams Arizona / Highway robbery

1 Williams, AZ, United States

Highway Robbery
While on vacation to see the Grand Canyon I had the unfortunate opportunity of staying at the Best Western Hotel in Williams, Arizona. I stayed there on September, 8th and 9th 2016. After the first night stay I placed the “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door before leaving for the day to visit the Grand Canyon National Park. Upon my return that evening. I noticed the Do Not Disturb sign was still hanging on the door handle as I had left it that morning. After entering the room, I saw that all of the bedding was on the floor, 3 towels, 2 wash clothes, 2 glasses and one coffee cup were missing. I called the front desk and complained and told them that I did not want to see a charge on my credit card for the missing items I also told them about how the housekeeping staff had thrown all of the bedding on the floor. I asked them to make a note of it on my registration, which they told me that they would.
I checked out in the morning of the 10th and headed home to Oregon. All was well until I received a charge on my credit card on October 5th for $150.00 from the Best Western Hotel in Williams, Arizona. I immediately called and asked what the charge was for and was told that it was for a Bedspread that had a tear in it from my pet. I told them that it was impossible that my pet did any damage to anything because he was never out of my site or control and has never torn up anything. The assistant manager quipped, “That’s what they all say.” I asked her comment indicated that this was a regular thing that happens to people staying in their establishment with pets? Her response was “it happens all the time.” I asked if it was their policy to wait for nearly 30 days before notifying or charging their customers for alleged damages to ensure that they were sufficiently far enough away to make it financially unreasonable for them to pursue restitution. Her response was that the general manager was sick and that was why it took so long to charge my credit card. I asked to have general manager to call me back on the next day because I was not going to be available later that same day.
I contacted the Best Western Corporate Office in Phoenix, Arizona and lodged a complaint. They told me that they would start an “incident file” and would get back to me. That same afternoon, I received a voicemail message from the “General Manage / Owner”, as she referred to herself, stating in a cold and indifferent tone, “The Charges Will Stand.” I never did hear back from the corporate office. I can only assume that it was because the Williams, Arizona Best Western is a privately held property and apparently the corporate office has no control over their brand when the hotel is privately held, or they just placate those who lodge complaints by acting like they are going to do something when they really don’t have any intention of taking your complaint seriously.
I am a senior citizen on a fixed income and the $150.00 unsubstantiated charge left me with very little food money for the month. On the surface this stinks of a scam, where unsuspecting visitors from all over the world come to visit one of our National Parks and stay at the Best Western Inn in Williams, Arizona, the Gateway to the Grand Canyon as it is billed, and after sufficient time has passed and the customer has left the area and has travel over a thousand miles away, they get stuck with a bogus charge.

Mi