BBVA Compass Bancshares / Compass Bank / account permanently frozen after lost check was reported

1 BBVA COMPASS, Helena, AL, United States

Over the weekend I misplaced a blank check, possibly stolen out of my purse, while I was on vacation. I immediately reported this to BBVA compass fraud and investigations department. I was told that my account would be frozen at that time until I choose to unfreeze it or close it permanently and open a new one. I was also told that all electronic debits for existing bills would still process electronically. Not the case! My car payment came back declined due to frozen account now compounding with late charges and interest rate! I called BBVA to unfreeze the account and was told no, that I couldn't, that it is permanently frozen and that I will have to go to the branch and open a new one. Now all my ebills are bouncing, my credit is screwed, having no control over my own account. All I wanted to do was to void one tiny little check. Other banks simple would have voided the check. Now I have to get a written letter from the bank to try and save my credit.

As