BBB, Better Business Bureau / Leave consumers with no protection!

As a many year member of BBB, I felt they protected the consumer and were an image I wanted to be associated with. I filed a complaint against another member and was told that as long as member responded in writing, that the matter was settled. The response of the other member was "what a whinner I was" and "I was no longer welcome in their store".

I was given no recourse, and felt if this is the way complaints are handled, I would no longer be a member. This leave the consumer with no protection against abuses by business unless (like me) the business belongs to a professional organization with a code of ethics or is licensed by the state.

Comments

Di
  15th of May, 2010

I AGREE!!! I had a similar situation, where I am in a dispute with another BBB member company. The case was closed administratively because they responded. I asked the BBB to review it and recommended that they review the other company because of the violations of the BBB Code of Ethics...I was told that they do not take recommendations to review business memberships.

So, I have decided to drop my membership in the BBB because I feel they no longer are a force of good. As soon as I told them I was not renewing, my BBB rating dropped from A+ to A-!