Bassett Furniture / incredibly poor customer service!

1 8597 Sancus Blvd, Columbus, OH 43240Columbus, OH, United States Review updated:
Phone: (614) 468-0122

[My letter to the Executive VP of Operations, Keith Sanders is attached below for ease - our complaints are clearly marked. We purchased this furniture New Years' weekend, 2006.]

Dear Mr. Sanders:

On or about August 31st we mailed the attached letter to your CEO Robert Spilman, Jr. in which we outlined several complaints which arose through the extraordinarily poor service we have received from the Polaris Basset location. These complaints, clearly stated in that letter, included the following:

1) Our order was not complete over eight months after placing and paying for it (a custom two piece sectional sofa, chair, three end tables and a credenza).

2) We were not notified of the status of our order despite repeated phone calls inquiring into why our delivery was far past the outer limits of the delivery range promised to us.

3) 1 ½ months after our furniture was promised to us, we received a damaged credenza.

4) We were not contacted in regard to how the credenza would be replaced. Only after numerous calls was a repairman sent out – despite our pleas that repair would not be possible.

5) After the repairman’s instantaneous declaration that the damage could not be replaced, we again received no contact from Bassett. Again, we had to waste our time to simply get non-damaged furniture. Again, we had to wait six more weeks, and again, we were not notified of the status of our order.

6) We feel that the “pilling” of the chaise fabric is excessive, and it took numerous calls and trips to the Polaris location to get a replacement.

7) The rear pillow of the chaise is crushed.

8) We received the wrong replacement materials from customer service manager Carmen Griffin at the Polaris store, indicating her lack of attention and concern for our complaints, and requiring yet another trip to the Polaris location.

9) Upon my wife’s final trip to Polaris to pick up the replacement chaise cover, she was rudely ignored by salesperson Alicia Kuhn, and Carmen flat-out lied and said she had never heard of our complaint about the chaise pillows.

10) We still do not have a replacement chaise pillow, we fully expect our furniture to fall apart further, and our experience with Bassett has been a nightmare all around.

In your letter of September 20th, 2007 you asked us to “advise if you are not completely satisfied with the results”. It would be obvious to you if you had read our original letter that simply receiving a replacement chaise cover would not make us “completely satisfied”. We have received poor service all around, and still do not have quality furniture.

We have sent a copy of this correspondence to all parties involved. We are tired of working harder than Bassett does in order to receive what we have paid for. We have not received anywhere near what we have paid for, and we deserve financial compensation for receiving poor product and being put through this ordeal. If Bassett cares about the level of service provided to customers, we expect that this letter will be read thoroughly this time, and a thoughtful response and offer will be forthcoming within two weeks of this date.

[Several weeks later we received a letter from Mr. Sanders stating that he understood the problems to be resolved because new pillows were ordered for us. None of our other complaints or dissatisfaction was addressed in any fashion by anyone from Bassett, and over 1 year after the purchase, we still do not have a satisfactory set of furniture. Proceed with caution.]

Comments

• Sc
      31st of Dec, 2007

Well it looks like they won't be getting any business from me ;). Thanks for the notice.

Pablo

• Th
      6th of Feb, 2008

Totally agree! We bought the Custom Dining furniture from Bassett Direct in August of 07 and we are still trying to get it right and furniture is almost paid for. We got the ebony finish, they must have a filthy paint booth/factory or something. There are air bubbles in paint, and runs, not to mention other things and we are on round two with the product. We bought ours from Klopfenstein Homerooms. The customer service rep we are now dealing with is horrible! The one we started with is no longer there and she was nice, probabaly why she is no longer there? I keep passing the complaint around between the furniture store locally and Bassett furniture in Virginia. They will make you jump through hoops like circus monkeys, it's not worth it. Go somewhere else. Ethan Allen sales reps can explain the tota making of their furniture. From start to finish. I wish we would have started there!

• Mc
      11th of Apr, 2008

I was seriously considering shopping here for a living room sofa, I will not go there now. Thankyou for posting this and other complaints. Shame on them,

• De
      14th of Oct, 2008

They are horrible! Their delivery service would only provide us a two hour window (when I am at work--Wednesday afternoon) and don't deliver after 6pm!

The sales person said they would be flexible! HA! and we can't cancel our order because it is "custom"--but EVERYTHING is custom there! Go elsewhere!

• In
      30th of Apr, 2009

Thanks for the warning. I also purchased some items, was overcharged, but felt better about purchasing because I talked them down b/c it was the last day of the year and they were trying to move inventory. However, it took forever to get my items, they were supposed to be new in the box, but they came off the floor (store display). I didn't make a big deal about it because I didn't find out about it until about 2 weeks later (my husband was the one at home when they delivered and he didn't mention that they weren't packaged). I also decided not to make a big deal out of it because I had cancelled a office cabinet that they sold me. It took so long for my order to come, that I did some more research on the office cabinet that I thought was nice in the store, and found out it was originally a china cabinet that they were trying to convert into a computer cabinet. Rechecked the measurements and found out my computer tower wouldn't fit. so I evaded that nightmare, but I was still looking for another computer cabinet with them. Think I will look elsewhere now. Didn't know so many people had problems with them. Glad I found this site.