Backpage

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 by

paid ads get "community removed" w/ no explanation - no response from cust. svc. for months

4.15
Hello,

I have been paying for ads on Backpage for nearly 2 years now. Over the past several months, I have found several of my posts to have been removed, with no explanation beyond "Community Removed." As far as I know, I am following all rules - in fact, the ads that have been removed are literally identical to dozens of other ads I've posted on the site with no issues.

Also, I get no notice when my ads are removed. I only discover that they've been removed when I go in to "My Account" and see them highlighted in red.

Each time this happens, I message Customer Service through the form on the website. I have yet to receive any response. If I'm inadvertently doing something wrong, I'd like to know, so that I can change it; I sincerely wish to comply with all rules and ToS. If I haven't done anything wrong, and my ads have been removed in error, I would like a refund. At the moment, they're taking my money without providing the promised service, which feels like a total scam.

At the very least, I would just like to get a response / explanation from someone! Thank you very much for any help you may provide.
Updated by East Coast USA Girl, Apr 30, 2017
UPDATE:
I'm finding tons of complaints online about this exact thing happening to other people. At least I know it's not personal, heh. If they do not resolve this, I plan to spend the rest of my credits, and never use the site again. Taking money for a service you fail to provide despite 100% compliance with rules and TOS is theft. As long as their customer service remains imaginary, I'm considering this site to be a total scam.

FWIW: When I first began using the site, it was pretty buggy, but they always responded to my service requests within a couple of hours. I'm not sure what happened recently, but I'm getting ready to abandon ship!
Complaint comments Comments (23) Complaint country United States Complaint category Online Scams

Comments

N  1st of May, 2017 by    +2 Votes
Backpage has been taking my cash also with out an explanation. I have been with BP since 2009 and never had a problem with them until March/April 2017. My paid ads are repeatedly taken down by the community. When I contact BP they put them up and it starts all over. I feel we can not trust BP with our cash if they can not explain what is going on. I'm founding out its happening to other girls. BP clean up your act and stop stealing our money.
N  22nd of Sep, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Lynne3000 How did u get a Hold of them a start posting ad's?
N  2nd of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
I've read identical complaints online literally hundreds of times. While I don't condone adult ads, Backpage should not offer it as a category and they certainly should not take people's money, if they are going to just turn around and remove the ads.
N  2nd of May, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@westworld BP has other paying sections like Therapeutic/Small business, and it is over run with new ads. I wish BP would have kept the adult ads. Regardless of what other people think I'm a paying customer of Backpage, and I would like a refund also for them to clean up the pages.
N  3rd of May, 2017 by    +1 Votes
My complaint is identical to the ones detailed here and i would like to receive a response to why and what is the reason behind them accepting my payment for posting my ad, then unalertingly and without notice my post is so called "COMMUNITY REMOVED". Without getting any such notice, i for the most part don't find out until i update my ad which is unavailable then, or on a few occasions i have received calls from once potentially buyers of my product. And they only are aware because after the initial interest they have returned to the site to view my item again to clarify there interest and upon so they notice it is no longer able to be viewed! What is going on? If there is any advice please contract or forward me the procedures... THANK YOU
CARMEN NUGENT
206-413-0403
crowder4life28@gmail.com

N  31st of May, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Da MoB Bos I have alot of my ads removed in March and alot last week now.Never know why.It is disturbing that other ads get to stay up.I talked to other women that got ads removed too.I am tempted to set up a separate acct soon.
N  22nd of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Da MoB Bos How did it stop getting removed
N  12th of May, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Backpage is doing this to just about everyone. It all depends on your website link. Especially affiliate links. Backpage does not approve affiliate links. Hide your links by using this HTML: Click Here Works well on Backpage. The only thing visible is the "click here" . Now backpage can't see your link. It's been working well for me.
N  12th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
I put a comment above with the html code to hide the links but this comment section wouldn't except the code. So I will try again . Here It is again: Click Here If the code does not appear around the "click here" just email me at this address >>markasbury5@gmail.com
A  31st of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
Back page has been removing my ads started mainly in March.Then again May.I am glad to see this forum about it.I felt singled out and see that is not the case.Ali.845-260-5134.Any woman can call me if they would like to talk about it.
A  22nd of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
Same problem here.
A  1st of Jul, 2017 by    0 Votes
The same thing happened to me just 4 days ago and they won't say why and I've been posting on Backpage since 2010 and no problems until now idk what the hell is going on but we need to boycott Backpage it's a crime to take people's money for no apparent reason Backpage is starting to suck i guess it's back to Craigslist and soon I'll be creating my own site where girls can post absolutely free no restrictions no limitations no scams email me if u want on the list jazminelee18@gmail.com name is Alisha Monroe
N  13th of Jul, 2017 by    0 Votes
I have been getting the same thing when I place an ad "Community Removed". I have sent several emails to the company and have called and left messages. However, I have not heard from anyone. They take our money and provide no service. When I mailed them a check to Dallas, TX, they receive the check and credit my account. But as soon as an ad goes up" Community Removed". I think we all start sending letter to the Attorney General Office in Texas since that is when payments are mail, and ask the Attorney General office to look into this evil practice. The owners on BP were already hauled in before Congress lately. As Alisha Monroe stated it is a crime to take people money and NOT provide a service. WE NEED TO BOMBARD the Texas State Attorney's General Office so they can look into this. I only say the Texas Attorney General because on BP website, that is where payments are mail. If anyone if up for this you can email me at quincy716@hotmail.com and I will prepare a letter that I can send to you and all you need to do is sign it and mail it. If you email me, please put "Back Page" in the subject line. BP needs to do their business right or not do it at all. Sincerely Quincy
N  19th of Jul, 2017 by    +2 Votes
Sadly it's not Back Page removing your ads, but your so-called competition, if they feel your doing better than them, .or they dislike you, they will report your ad & have it removed. It's like killing off the compeition.
N  4th of Aug, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Bill Cobb Hi. The initial thought is that it is the competition but I have found that this is not the case. I'm a traveling wellness practitioner and I post ads in multiple cities and in all cities my ads get community removed . This is something only the people from Backpage could and would do. It's illogical to think that in every city in America, other massage therapists are more concerned with removing the ads of other therapists more than focusing on their own business. I imagine every focuses on having the most appealing ads they can have in order to draw in clients. It is definitely Backpage behind this scam.
N  27th of Jul, 2017 by    +1 Votes
I have been posting in the escorts section for over 5 years. Never has this happened to me, but the past week it has happened twice. The first time, I completely overhauled my ad and removed my website info. Then it happened again. If it is competition, this should not be allowed. Many escorts are jealous, vindictive, competitive, obviously have low confidence if they do this. It is too easy for escorts to just flag each others' ads. Backpage should be reviewing these flagged ads first. I've contacted bp 3 times now, no response or refund. I'm quite worried as this is my living atm.

A  29th of Jul, 2017 by    0 Votes
Same thing here. using the VERY SAME ads for years then 3 were took done . Now I have sent 2 Walmart Gift cards have received NO CREDITS and NO RESPONSE
N  13th of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Carol2017 Are your cards at least $100? I noticed they changed the minimum .. I also noticed when my card didn't load for awhile, I tried again and it did. They're pretty [censor] these days with customer svc
A  3rd of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
They just started doing this to me the last 24 hours. What the hell is going on, Ive been advertising without any problem for many years and have paid them many thousands of dollars.
N  10th of Aug, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Me along with several other of girlfriends in the hobby have literally went through 20-30 ads each since March 2017. I've been posting on BP since 2011 and only had 2 community removed ads in which I emailed cs and they reimbursed my money within 24 hrs. Starting March 2017 they don't respond to any emails they don't refund and they a rapidly increasing how many times and how fast they remove our ads. This is crazy!!! Does anyone have any recommendations on other websites beside BP or Craigslist?
A  13th of Aug, 2017 by    -1 Votes
Ditto. Just had one removed this morning like wtf
N  23rd of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
Has anyone found a solution at all? I've used hundreds of dollars trying to advertise as I normally do and my ad keeps getting taken down, am I doing something wrong or is backpage scamming people out of crypto-currency? Seems everyone is running into the same problem :'(
N  8th of Sep, 2017 by    +1 Votes
I travel to a few different cities all the time & I have found that this ONLY happens when I put an ad in DC (massage section)... & only during the peak times. this makes me believe it is indeed the competition. backpage really needs to do something about this!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree