Awana Vacation Resort Development Bhd / Reduction of facilities for timeshare member.

1 Malaysia Review updated:

I would like to highlight the short change for all members of this Awana Vacation Resort Development Berhad in Malaysia. This membership based timeshare vacation club have withdrawn most of its facilities whereby the club now is only having 3 home based apartment namely Awana Genting Highlands Golf & Country Resort at Genting Highlands, Angsana Apartments of Kijal Beach Resort at Kijal, Kemaman, Terengganu and Ria Apartment, Genting Highlands.
Recipocal hotel are almost totally non accessible even it says there are recipocal hotel exchange programme by given reasons that recipocal allowed only on certain period.
During the last AGM called on 26 March 2011, there is a fracas before the meeting could be started. The so-called director of sales called time share owner as STUPID for buy its timeshare facility. What am ### he was.
Please refer the following attached texts recorded by one of the members who has attended the meeting.:-

The AGM of AVRD held on 26 March 2011 at Level 3, Bilik Tanau, Awana Gentings was very unprofessional and it was held in very chaotic manner. AVRD management has called-in 02 policemen to watch over the members even before the members registered at the front registration desk. This is an insult to the members and AVRD management was well prepared as to how to treat the members should there be any uncalled incident happens due to the mandatory instruction by AVRD in disallowing spouses of members into the meeting room.

AVRD management has failed to inform members prior the meeting peertaining to the disallowing supplementaries / nominees entering the meeting room. Members were only informed when they were at that time of registration at the Bilik Tanau front desk. I had requested for the top management for an explanation why this was not mentioned in the Notice of Meeting but my request was ignored and I can only watch from a distance that Mr Simon Yee & Mr Paul Chan were pacing outside the hall of Bilik Tanau waiting for the meeting to get started at 2.00pm.

When the meeting starts, Mr Paul Chan explained the reason for disallowing mbrs spouses / supplementaries from the mtg because it was discussed in a prior meeting between the AVRD management and Liaison Committee (LC) members that they forsee many members will be attending the meeting. They failed to inform the members of this prior decision. Mr Simon Yee then referred to one of the documentation that states the disallowing spouses /supplementaries to attend mbrs meeting.

Mbrs informed the meeting that they were referred as "Stupid to buy Awana timeshare membership" by Mr Simon Yee. The members demanded for an apology from Mr Simon and Mr Paul Chan came to rescue by explaning that Mr Simon was angry at the spur of that moment. Therefore, out of emotional anger, he has said those words. No apology was accorded by Mr Simon Yee. Mr Paul Chan then allowed the spouses / supplementaries to come into the meeting room at 3.30pm.

The meeting proceeded in a very tense manner and many words were exchanged by AVRD management and members. Mr Simon Yee continued to refer on every rules, regulations, terms & conditions in the Prospectus and Agreements that were laid on his tables to counter attack the members. There were no friendly words nor solutions/actions plans taken by the management.

Mr Paul Chan informed the meeting that the reasons on why the management has taken out the Members Benefits such as removing the affiliated hotels at Genting Highlands resort, Awana Porto Malai, Langkawi, exchange of entitlement to contra Star Cruise were all removed because the management has updated the company's Prospectus based on every 06 months period.

Many members voiced out their dissatisfactions on the fully booked reservations which resulted in their entitlements being forfeited by the company. Some members complained on the water heaters, condition in the timeshare units after the renovations being carried out at the Awana Gentings.

It is also reported that there is lack of security in the Awana Kijal apartment whereby there were no lights lit up at the staircases/ verandah to the apartments during the night. The members were afraid to walk to the beaches at night due to the darkness between the far walking distance from the apartment to the beaches. There were also other blocks of low cost flats which were beside the AVRD timeshare apmts where the local residents stayed. Trustee informed that he & LC conducted resort inspection but he did not submit a full report on the inspection or whether are there rectifications being carried out.

LC mentioned that they have voiced their concerns to the AVRD Management on the many matters brought up by the members but they are unable to confirm on any solutions as these are for approval from the AVRD Management.

Last but not least, Mr Paul Chan has repeatedly mentioned that AVRD members always abuse the staff during reservation & also abuse the management during AGM meetings.

May we ask Mr Paul Chan that is it right for Mr Simon Yee to abuse the AVRD members by thrashing his anger "at the spur of that moment" by calling members "Stupid" and arrogantly not apologizing openly to member in the meeting and rather explained by Mr Paul Chan that he has informed the reason for the outburst by Mr Simon Yee at the beginning of the meeting and not wanting to repeat saying it again.

Please note that we, as members are the most innocent people who has been abused by AVRD Management of not being informed of the updated clauses in the Prospectus because only new members are given the updated Prospectus and old members are not informed at all of the updated clauses, other terms & conditions of all AVRD Agreements, promises made by your Sales Representatives before the sales and "BAD & ARROGANT TREATMENT & SERVICE AFTER SALES" by your DIRECTOR OF SALES!

More Awana Vacation Resort Development Bhd Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ge
      4th of Apr, 2011

I am glad this is brought up! We paid the full amount to AVRD and have no
    chance to utilize our entitlements due no rooms available . But annually we have to pay maintenance charges. I believe all the members are frustrated and yet AVRD keep on selling the timeshare memberships! And
    the only time we receive any mails from AVRD is maintenance charges.
    No invitation or mails regarding AVRD meetings or announcement on any changes. Hope somebody or Genting Resort people will look into it.

• Aw
      17th of Apr, 2011

AVRD are morally wrong in doing so. They are really brought down Genting Group image in public eye in such manner. It really not makes sense at all. Miss presentation and bullying public in this kind of way to achieve what they want. Hide behind Awana name to achieve their gold. They are spoiling public high hope, believe, trust and respected to our beloved YAB Uncle Lim & Brother Lim that laid a good ground work for what is Genting/Resort World are for today...

• Av
      10th of May, 2011

I fully support the call for the so-called director of sales and the whole team including the CEO to resign.

How can the so-called additional benefits of members be taken away when they have used it to market their time share scheme. And yet, they do not have to courtesy to write and inform the members on the cancellation.

It's very very true that the only communication from AVRD is the annual maintenance charge. And they have the cheek to ask you to confirm and proof your payment way back to the first year you joined. Beat that?

What abuse is he talking about? Try to call and talk to their staff. They are so impersonal and impatient. Every answer is a mono syllabus and in negative territory. For donkey years, I have been unable to book any rooms at Genting. Is this called customers service. Hello, this is Genting Group. I believe you can do better than that.

Did anyone noticed that the hotel check-in staff seldom have eye contact with you? Cold as stone.

Seems like I have misplaced my trust in Awana/Genting.

22nd of May, 2011

I thought I was the only one having problem with Timeshare

• Pa
      26th of Jun, 2011

i need help. who can i make a complaint to that will be FAST and effective? i typed a long list of issues here but lost it. haiz.. Thanks.

• Av
      2nd of Jul, 2011

I feel frustrated and have faced same problem with all of you. Regret to join AVRD and feel "cheated" by sale rep team. Any latest updates & correspondence also hardly received by me. Now only know that Awana Langkawi was not avail for members. Genting Group shall do something about it!

AVRD member -Lim

• Cs
      17th of Jul, 2011

I really apprecaite that this matter has been brought up as such.
    Even worse than anything; it is almost impossible for us as member to sell our membership to anybody when we know that AVRD offers such lousy services. If AVRd can not carry out its function properly, suggestion is that close down the operation and return all the membership fess back.
    By the way, FYI this is becoming the same practice for most time share company including berjaya vacation club. The club keeps expanding their member base without expanding their timeshare resort; and yet removing original resorts and affiliated resorts.

• Pr
      16th of Aug, 2011

I'm member of AVRD and i really dissapointed with it.
    Totally rubbish at all. Lack of customer service and The sales team LIED!

• Go
      2nd of Sep, 2011

ya...lousy service ...stupid timeshare..

• Le
      13th of Sep, 2011

I am so glad I saw this site that can allowed me for voice out my disappointment. This Awana timeshare is really cheating money, we are so regret joined it... where can we make compaint that really can help us to overcome the situation like this?!

• Eg
      26th of Sep, 2011

Hi' I'm a member of AVRD for 10 years already, I guess my family is lucky that we have actually spend our yearly vacations using all AVRD timesharing resorts which some of them were removed from the list of affiliated hotels recently, I do share some of your emotional anger and frustrations but we all know that it's not easy to dispose of the membership and we would not want our friends or family members falling into this trap again..My solutions is, try to request for your choice vacation as early as possible. I did mine every beginning of the year.

• Be
      30th of Sep, 2011

We should combine all our resources and take them to court

• Su
      9th of Nov, 2011

BAD reservation experience i had in my life !!! I'm a businessman and that's why i seldom stay in Awana Genting Resort, but now it's the school holidays coming soon, i just want to have a great time with my family, i just need 2 rooms in a year which i pay not a small amount of money, and they told me i only can get a room to be confirmed???!!! what is the problem??!! i pay few thousand MONTHLY for only ONE night in a YEAR??!! It is a BAD BAD BAD experience, if this problem is not taking action accordingly, i will not recommend this hotel/resort to any friends.

14th of Nov, 2011

mark kea

i join since 2008 and hv not stayed at awana porto malai nor awana kijal due always full.
    customer service says i shud booked on working days and non peak season which i did
    and still non availability. Thus, i gave up using it for awana or genting resorts and transfer
    most of my nights to RCI. I hope they do not stop the RCI from accepting awana timeshare
    members as with such lousy comments am afraid they will close shop before the 25 years is up.
    I think Genting group CEO better step in before this time-share continue to go down the drain.
    Really embarassing the late Tan Sri.

• Ra
      29th of Dec, 2011

Hi, recently, i try to check the Awana Vacation Member's Club page in FaceBook but it seems gone missing now, anyone know what happen now with those complaints ? What can we/poor member do ?

30th of Oct, 2012

Ya...me too, felt cheated by this ### AVRD's company.Bought since 2007 but went to Awana Kijal twice only...low seasons and weekdays some more bcos EVERYTIME FULL.

Conditions of the apartment... Fxxktub !!! Thought Genting Group can trust lah...but very disappointed.

Now read they withdrawn more members facilities...aiyoo how lah ??

I think we all members should team-up hire a lawyer and talk to them.We can pay more than RM 20k ... what is little bit more to get back our rights.

• Si
      22nd of Dec, 2012

I fully agreed on the above comments from the members

14th of Feb, 2013

Me too...fully agreed on the above comments from the members.

• Le
      5th of Mar, 2013

I'm very disappointed with the way they manage it. Is not professional at all.

• On
      7th of Mar, 2013

Am a AVRD member since 1999. Totally agreed with you guys comment. In 2005 my husband pass away and I have inform them about it in writting, emails and by fax !! They dont take note about it, cannot update the profile and when I call them up, they still address me by my husband NAME !! STUPIT right ? Thank god i did not received any letter from them, if not the enevelope with still have my husband name on it after 8 years ! Thanks for the up date..am not inform that Langkawi is not in the list anymore while am still planning to go there. Someone, take the lead, take this people to court ! Mind is a hard earn money and me and my late husband pay for this membership by installment for a few years..