AutoZone / wrongful demotion

1 VA, United States Review updated:

I have been working at autozone for about a year now as a full time manager with awesome complements from customers... I am 23 and a single mother. Anyone with kids knows how hard it is to find a babysitter for nights and weekends. IMPOSSIBLE! I have no family in the area to help me with child care. Well the DM and store manager walk in and tell me because of my availability they want me to step down from a full time manager to a part time manager. With no guarantee of hours and a possible pay cut. Apparently company policy states that i have to be available for all shifts. What part of single mother do they not get! They also asked me to write down my availability. So I did. The store manager told me that I needed to add more in my statement. He told me that i needed to add that I am stepping down down from a ftpsm to a ptpsm. Was I born yesterday... NO! I do not in any way agree with this so im not about to make it sound like this is my decision like he wanted. I said I (not putting name out there) was ASKED to step down from a ftpsm to a ptpsm. Of course hind site is 20-20 and i realized I should have put FORCED in place of asked. Later I asked my store manager to give me a copy of why they are demoting me and where in the policy it justifies their cause. He snuck off and called my DM and came back to me and said "I do not have to give you anything in writing". Anyways it gets more interesting... There was talk about a certain some one getting promoted to Assistant Manager... well that ticked alot of people off cause that certain someone does not pull his wait what so ever. HE does not care about the customers or their needs. And he is a pain to work with. Funny thing is the same day they demoted me and cut my pay, they promoted him and gave him a raise! Everyone in my store is heated over the way they are treating me and especially the promotion of someone only because he kisses butt and the store manager and him have history working together at another company in the past. If they looked at his job performance compared to mine there is no way any store manager would promote him verses me. But its a GUYS job right? WRONG! Most of this action towards me stems from me not finding a babysitter for Christmas eve. And that certain some ones promotion stems from favoritism. I just wounder if my demotion and pay cut was to cover that certain someones promotion and raise! I loved my job and now I dred going into work. I dred the hours cause I know I really have to be on top of my game because I feel like I am being critisized on everything I do. I feel like they are just looking for a reason to fire me.

Comments

• Az
      8th of Dec, 2010

Please contact me at the AutoZone Corporate office, I need a little more information to look into this issue. scott.koch@autozone.com or call 901-495-6500.

13th of Dec, 2010

who do you think you are to tell me when i can have a child? at least I go out there everyday and work my butt off to support my child instead of sitting on my ### to let the state ( your tax money) pay for everything! Instead I put up with judgmental people (like yourself) and chauvinist pigs all day!

• Po
      13th of Dec, 2010

So many good comments here!

I understand that you are in a difficult time in your life. Being a single mother is no easy task in ANY way. But you have to understand that no job is required to work around your personal schedule, and they should not be punished for your own personal issues. An open schedule is a valuable trait among employees, and with the job market as it is today, this trait is a competitive one. Maybe they have decided that you can no longer cover the work load that they wish to pursue? Maybe it is cheaper for them to promote someone with a wider schedule? I'm sorry that this is happening to you, but unless you can acheive a more open schedule, you will be open to this type of change.

• Ns
      24th of Dec, 2010

This is the bottom line. They knew her situation before she was promoted, it was going to be a problem then she should have never been given the position.

6th of Feb, 2011

Explain why they hired another full time manager who is not available to work all shifts because of school??? whats the difference? NONE!!!

• Po
      6th of Feb, 2011

There is a possibility then that your performance or credentials were not very good. Usually people are not very critical of their own performance.

• Ca
      20th of Feb, 2011

The law states that if you are doing the same job and responsibility and Autozone or any company changes your compensation you can quit on the spot and collect unemployment. They can fight it all they want but they will lose. Words of experience Good Luck

• Ic
      18th of May, 2011

I feel for you. But being employed even part time is an Privilege these days. Being a Single Mom or Dad is hard. But we do what we have to Do. So many companies are having to Downsize or offer Demotions in order to keep the valuable and productive Employees.
    Personally I would keep my job and look for another at the same time, one that will work around your Babysitting issues.
    AZ is only closed 2 days a year, Christmas is one. Thanksgiving the other. You as a Manager or PSM are expected to Work or be available for work, all hours that the store is open. YOU ARE IN CHARGE and Responsible for that Store.
    What I find weird is that you ( If Store Mgr ) make the Schedules and did not make it so that you could have Christmas Eve off, well ahead of time. Babysitter problem or not, you have options, Other Managers or PSM's you could have called and asked if they could take your shift.
    Just realize that there are so many others out there that are willing to have your Job, Any job and Sacrifice to get a paycheck at all.
    Retail is not a Mans Job, Auto Parts is Not a Mans job. Management is not a Mans Job. It's a JOB.
    And depending on State or Company, always document, Document, , DOCUMENT. Even Corporate can lose their Jobs, Be Replaced and end up with un~employment or Nothing.

*NOTE * I've seen the scott.koch guy before, you may wish to contact him, but he is very busy and rarely gets much done in a speedy manner, it's usually just sent to a RM or a DM and HR then it gets " Lost " or there are no " records " to validate your Complaint, Name Store # all just gets shuffled around. By that time you are still complaining and wondering why you don't have a JOB ?
    Take care. Wish you the Best