AT&T Long Distance Usa / unfair billing practices!

AT&T assigned a bad number to my new home. The number was blocked by MCI for outstanding debts in past years.

AT&T said that they would give me a new number, but I would still have to pay the bill for the bad number.

I paid $106.

3 weeks later I received another bill for $53 on the bad number. AT&T said it was a bill for a partial month on the bad number. I paid $53.

One week later I received another bill from AT&T for $123 for a long distance call made to Thailand and I would have to pay, however, the agent agreed to drop the the charge down to $24. I paid $24.

One week later I received another bill from AT&T for $123. ON the phone again, and the AT&T agent said that It was dropped to $24, but I still had to pay additional taxes and fees amounting to $19. I paid $19.

Two days later I get another bill from AT&T for $123. I called and their agent said that I owed nothing and he would "stop the collection department errors".

I figured that it cost me about $200 to pay off a service that I never had from AT&T, but at least they wouldn't ruin my credit.

Five months later, December 18, 2006, I received a later from Money Control, Inc., a collection agency, for a debt of $123.07 owed to AT&T.

When I called AT&T, their computer would only only allow me to pay the bill, stating that I could not speak to an agent until the bill was paid.

A  29th of Jan, 2007 by
Re:My Account with AT&T and My Dispute of All International Calls Charges (Via telephone conversation on 11-10-06, Fax dated 11-10-06, Fax dated 11-11-06, Fax dated 11-15-06, CC letter dated 11-26-06 and Letter dtd 12-03-06

Dear Sirs,

I am surprised by the number of threat letters AT&T send me without finding the time to investigate and answer my enormous correspondences, in which I repeatedly disputed the international call charges on my long distance bill!

The reason I dispute the bill was that AT&T has repeatedly and without my approval slammed my international carrier, Net One.

The service with Net One, which I chose to be my sole International carrier, was established on July 3rd, 2006. My Net One Customer number was 640. I was glad to use Net One as my International calls’ carrier because it was known that AT&T was the most expensive carrier when it comes to international calls .

On or about Aug. 30th, 2006 I contacted AT&T in an attempt to save money asking for a plan to reduce my long distance calls from 500 mins to 300 mins. , which I assumed meant calls to other states within the USA, since I had previously established the international service with other carriers.

It was never mentioned to me nor was I informed that AT&T’s LONG DISTANCE SERVICES meant and included INTERNATIONAL CALLS TO SOVEREIGN COUNTRIES, because as mentioned before I knew that AT&T apply the highest rates when it comes to international calls.

On or about Sept. 8th, 2006 I was advised by representatives of Net One that AT&T slammed their service to me. I re-established the service with Net One and my re-activation code was ALNO444.

On Sept. 12 at or about 8:41 am I called AT&T and complained that I didn’t authorize them to block Net One as my international carrier.

On Nov. 10 and after reviewing my AT&T September bill ( AT&T has the tendency to send its bills later then the regular billing system of all other businesses, which usually send their bills by the end of the month), that was when I first realized that AT&T blocked Net One and set itself as the sole international and long distance carrier. I don’t recall authorizing this.

Applying common sense and logic, why would I want to replace Net One, which charges me 18.9 cents/minute with AT&T, which charges $4.20/minute!!!

I have been contacting AT&T ever since Nov. 10th, 2006 and received no answer to justify their actions nor to my request to resolve this matter by re-establishing my service with Net One back value and have them charge me for all the international calls or have AT&T apply the Net One rate to my international calls, since I never requested nor authorized them to terminate or slam the service with Net One. Instead I received a bill that I owe AT&T $1,616.35. Unfortunately and up to this day, AT&T failed to answer in writing or any other form of communication except for sending me avalanche of threats. AT&T chose to sent threats and ultimatum rather then a professional, justified response.

Please notice that AT&T’s "CARRIER INFORMATION" section of the bill is vague, ambiguous and doesn’t mention anything that indicates to any customer, acting in good faith, that it means international calls, when it comes to defining what they mean by Long Distance service. I do strongly believe that AT&T should have mentioned in their "CARRIER INFORMATION" section and in CAPITAL LETTERS THAT LONG DISTANCE CALLS MEANS AND INCLUDES INTERNATIONAL CALLS TO OTHER COUNTRIES, OTHER THAN THE USA.

Finally, To my dismay I received the attached letter for service I never requested. The funny thing is that it doesn’t mention what kind of service it is. Please take the necessary action to investigate this matter together with the above mentioned dispute. If I don’t receive any answer within the coming 15 days, you leave me no choice but to consider all AT&T charges for international calls made during the period from Sept 1, 2006 to Nov. 11, 2006 as baseless and unjustified.

I received no reply from AT&T but received lots of threats. I did contact FCC but again my complaints were totally ignored. Is there a way you guys can help us? Please let us know if any of the posted complaints was settled.

AT&T Logo AT&T