AT&T / identity theft department

AT&T recently let someone open not 1 but 2 accounts using my wife’s identity. She has a 7 year alert on her account with the 3 major credit reporting services. Her name is flagged with AT&T not to let anyone open an account with her name, but they did anyway. I called to ask how this could happen, starting with customer service, then fraud department and then to their credit department. No one could give me an answer. One lady said that they call our home and said my wife OK the accounts. I called her a liar. Now we have been trying to close the accounts. This was the stupidest procedure I have every been through. We have to prove to AT&T who we are before we can close the accounts. It's funny that AT&T can mail us the bill to our address, see our address when we call but they can't take our word we are who we say we are when we try to do them a favour and close these accounts. To close these accounts you must fill out a fraud packet for each account. You must have proof of residence from 3 months prior. I don't know about you but I don't keep 3 and 4 month old Light and Gas bills. I just wish I could talk with a Supervisor from AT&T and ask them what the h%$l is going on with them.

Va

Comments

• Gr
      4th of Aug, 2008

These are my sentiments exactly. With a company as large as yours, how can these incidents happen ??? Especially to the point where it is effecting your credit, since appearing to be a deadbeat for something that, we as consumers, have had no control over, plus the fact that you can never get to speak to a "live" person. Why have these special department contacts if you can never get through to them ??? Not only does it effect your credit at present, but for several months to come with no reimbursement for time spent trying straighten out the mess and being treated so poorly.

• Su
      4th of Aug, 2008

NO ONE wants to deal with what their supposed to do. These companies hire idiots with attitudes on purpose so they dont have to deal with you but you still have to pay them or your screwed! Half the people that work for these places are under-educated and I dont mean you have to be a college grad to work for a phone or cable company but hello learn how to speak english and I mean the people born in the US too.You just cant win.What do they do at work sit down all day and play dumb with all the customers.I am in the medical field what happens if I screw up?I dont.

18th of Aug, 2008
    idtheftline - refund

they took my money without my permisson and i want it back in my account who ever this company is they took 39.98 out of my account and i want it back in there

4th of Sep, 2009

There isn't much you can do except report the fraudulent incident and hope for the best. It is at their (AT&T's) discretion to excuse (oh, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt a**holes) the charge and submit evidence to the big three.

Exactly. How can these incidents happen? How is there no accountability for fraudulent information submitted online? When I open a business account, I need to sign a form at the bank, wait for a certified document to arrive, personally sign it at my home, call with verification, and set up an account (including password). Why doesn't AT&T verify any information submitted by the thief? If a notification form were sent to each applicant's physical address, someone who need to sign for it. Then if there is indeed fraud, at least they would have the physical address and could trace back to the perpetrator. Easy? Too easy but there would be a delay and corporate thugs cannot wait. Time is money.

AT&T needs to face a class-action suit! I need to be compensated for twenty hours of work, the cost of submitting documentation to prove my innocence, and missed opportunities since I missed out on a home purchase (bad credit == no loan).

• Wo
      7th of Feb, 2011

This is the second month that I have had money deducted from my account by AT&T, I don't have any service provided by them. I went to the bank and I got the typical, we'll look into it, yes I filled out a stop payment to AT&T but the bank refuses to tell me who is hacking my account. Needless to say, I'm closing the account and going to another bank. I don't know why AT&T doesn't have a "HOT LINE" for complaints, sure as hell if I owed them money they would find me with the paperwork. Not a HAPPY CAMPER

• Um
      8th of Feb, 2011

I receive a letter from EOS CCA dated 01/19/2011 to collect a payment for phone service for Account reference#7083356424348, in the amount of 204.91 for phone service which I never ordered. The amount now appears on my credit report . I am Martha Collier my former address was 3201 Fountainbleau Dr. in Hazel Crest, Illinois. I moved on September 12, 2010 and the service was disconneted as ordered. I gave them my forwarding address at 5231 Imperial Drive in Richton Park, Illinois for the last invoice. They sent the last invoice to the richton park address and I paid the bill in full on October, 09, 2011. I never lived at another address in Hazel Crest, Illinois after September12, 2010.
    Sincerely,
    Martha Collier February 08, 2011

• Iv
      19th of Feb, 2011

AT&T Worst service in history, my wife had 3 iphones and upgrades added to our accounts and extending our contract, after someone tried to add themselves as an authorized user had a pin activated to prevent anything else from further happening. Fraud Department said they'll contact us within 72 hours of reporting, no one called so i called them. again they said another 72. it's frustrating. we've had to file an Identity Theft report. and i'm not allowed to close the account until it's resolved, i think its bullcrap, they're just trying to keep us under contract so we can keep paying. i wish someone would sue their pants off. for allowing things like this to happen to people just trying to serve their country and do their work.

• Ke
      7th of Sep, 2011

Now a new fraud that AT&T refuses to do anything about, which has to do with content subscriptions. Somehow, my phone was subscribed to two different monthly subscriptions for content delivered via text message. Of the two, i never once saw a text message from one of the content providers but did from the other - although I had no clue why I was receiving such messages. So far, I have tracked this back at least one month, and was able to get AT&T Customer Service to refund those charges for the last month and the current month. When I indicated my desire to report these content providers as fraudulent, AT&T Customer Service said that they had no means available to them to do so. When I asked how this could have happened, AT&T Customer Service said that it was there policy to require all content providers to text the subscriber (me) three times to confirm that I desired such a subscription. I indicated to AT&T Customer Service that I had never received three text messages making any such requests for either subscription, and then asked if that does not constitute fraud; AT&T Customer Service again stated that they have no way to report such fraudulent behavior. I then asked AT&T Customer Service to review my text log to verify if I ever received the three text messages from the content provider as their policy dictates; I was told that AT&T Customer Service did not have access to those records. I asked AT&T Customer Service to transfer me to the department that did have access to those records and they said that there was no such department. What a bunch of ###s.

• Ra
      12th of Apr, 2013

I'm being attacked with a DoS attack to clog my corporate internet service and cannot get through to anyone to file a complaint or file charges with. I'm told I need to contact my service provider (AT&T DSL) and they are a bunch of idiots. A supervisor will call you back. WHEN! When I leave your service for someone else?

• La
      15th of Apr, 2014

Someone opened all kinds of accounts with my social security but couldn't even spell my last name right. How do these companies like ATT let this happen without even checking an ID??? Every other company cleared me of this fraud. Except AT&T. Then they cleared me. But what actually happened was they sent my delinquent account to an outside agency to try to collect this debt that isn't mine. What liars!!! I am so sick of being harassed and ATT is the worst of them!

• Je
      7th of Dec, 2015

I've had 2 accounts open as well by someone else using my name and ssn, I've submitted all info been through attuned general, etc, credit bureaus, all of it and now working with an attorney out of CA since at&t holding me liable for the accounts I didn't setup, needless to say I had already had both services for years prior to this happening never past due and the only way I found out was them contacting me through a text for the fraudulent account being past due. They called me a liar and everything in April and now found out about the 2nd open acct in November so at&t condones this type of activity and allowing it so again last option is the attorney and she has already told me multiple ways at&t is wrong and has went against the FDCPA laws

• Ca
      30th of Apr, 2016

I, went to ATT store in California, to add the line and they told me that I had an outstanding balance of $602. I was very surprised and shocked since I pay my cell phone bills on time and was very sure that I didn’t have this balance on my account. I checked my online account and did not find anything outstanding. I called ATT to find out what was going on and they said that someone used my SSN and took ATT U-verse account and that is what the balance was about. And now they told me that I have pay the balance for the services that I never ordered and used, I am very frustrated. I am really infuriated since multiple things are wrong here:

1. ATT fraud prevention services should have alerted me that something is going on with my account, as soon as detected
    2. ATT should have confirmed the addresses and names on the accounts since I NEVER received any bills
    3. I was NEVER alerted that this was happening with SSN and I found by mere chance since I needed to add a family member to cell phone plan. This is a loud fault on part of ATT
    4. My SSN is compromised and I needed to take timely action to protect myself. ATT failed to do their part
    5. In a similar fashion where ATT said that primary account holder should add the new family line for existing cell phone plan, they should have routed the person adding the U-verse as well. How could ATT make such a gross mistake?

Can any one share if they were able to make sense to these idiots? and what might be a good course of action

• Sd
      16th of Oct, 2017

AT&T is the worst, someone used my social and name with a different state. Two days on hold for over an hour each day. Then the process that the victim must go through to resolve the issue is insane. At&T obviously has gotten so big they no longer care not even the slightest bit for the public who uses their service, Treat them the same and go somewhere else. I will never do business with this company. Companies like AT&T need to remember that when you are in a customer service industry then the number one important thing is CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

• Da
      17th of Nov, 2017

My ex-fiance opened a second line on my account this past January, stole and cloned my Galaxy S7 edge and has been using my account to contact PROSTITUTes, including the nasty neighbor, Maria del Carmen Razo, ever since. AT&T cannot stop him, and seem to find his skills interesting, so they refuse to open a new account of my own for me, even though I left his loser self four months ago. As a result, two more Galaxy S7 phones have been stolen from my car and residence in the past two months, and Roderick Reed, aka Frauderick Freed as I like to call him, continues to make calls willy nilly and download nightly data from my AT&T account, and I owe a thousand dollars to these [censor] before I can be free of their cockroachish infestation in my otherwise peaceful and fun-loving life. FU AT&T, FBI, CIA and everybody else who "can't solve this problem" and so pin it on my already pretty pounding head. Have a crappy day.