At The Beach Tanning Super Store / Terrible company

1 Oklahoma City, OK, United States Review updated:

I went and and told the store manager I was going to mexico in 4 weeks. I told her I wanted to just tan some till I left for Mexico so I did not burn on my trip. She said fine I could tan for the month and use it unlimited. Yea I got burned but it was not from the beds or mexico. The charged my credit card for 5 straight months till I finally raised enough hell and called and called and bugged everyone that I could get a phone number for. People stay away from this company. FRAUD, FRAUD.

I found out later that the employee get a commission on everyone that signs up, so the longer the can book you the more the employees makes. That should tell any above the board company something is wrong. THEY WORK ON COMMISSION.

STAY AWAY!

Ra

Comments

• Mc
      18th of May, 2009

Can you tell me how you finally got resolution? I've been trying for months to get my contract cancelled. I had a malignant mole removed from my arm, AFTER, I signed up for the tanning. I don't blame the company for the mole but my doctor has expressly forbidden that I us tanning beds. ATB will not let me out of the contract, even with the letter from the doctor. Any suggestions?

• Le
      20th of May, 2009

Unfortunately their is no way of getting out of your contract even if you have a medical reason. Unless you move 25 miles away from any ATB store you are stuck. There are no loopholes whatsoever. Im in a contract myself and nothing works. Just make sure when you contract is up that 7 days before you last billing cycle month you fill out a Change Of Account form to cancel your account so you don't go into auto renewl month to month plan which they will set you up if you dont do this. I don't work there I have just asked ALOT of questions and read alot of stories. Good luck!

• Kc
      25th of May, 2009

I actually work at an At the Beach and EVERY TIME someone has brought in a note from their doctor saying that they are forbidden to tan for a medical reason we fax it to the corporate office and they are able to cancel their contract. I don't know what At the Beach you are going to but I have had that happen 3 times and every customer has been able to cancel with no penalties.

28th of May, 2009

KCSU- That is simply not true. And if they were able to cancel, I'm sure it wasn't as easy as you imply and I'm sure it had to be some medical condition that was life-threatening.
    At The Beach is the biggest rip-off I have ever come across. I am still trying to resolve issues with them, and my story is the same: conned into the 24-month contract with no way out and no way to pay (I signed up with a walmart money card because I didn't have a credit card, as advised by ATB employees) . I was TOLD that if I lived 25 miles away I could cancel at any time (which I do, I drive in from a neighboring town for work). This is also a blatant lie. Apparently I have to move, because I had already lived 25 miles away at the time of signage. ANYWAYS, moral of the story is that this place is a huge scam, and if anyone takes action against them and gets results, please post so that others in our situation may have a way out.

• In
      13th of Jun, 2009

i honestly think you guys need to actually READ things before you sign them... i hate the people that say they were "tricked into signing" or "didnt know they were signing a contract." it doesnt matter what the sales associate says, you should ALWAYS read and understand something completely before signing. its your fault for not reading and paying attention to what you sign. not At The Beaches... (and one suggestion to cancel is to pay off the remainder of your balance owed, plus then it wont hurt your credit )

• Ro
      15th of Jun, 2009
    At The Beach Tanning Super Store - Awful company
    At The Beach Tanning Super Store
    atbtanning.com

I found out later that the employee get a comission on everyone that signs up, so the longer the can book you the more the employees makes. That should tell any above the board company something is wrong. THEY WORK ON COMISSION.

• Ce
      25th of Jun, 2009

I FULLY agree with inkli and kcsu. As a former ATB Employee myself the contracts states this is a non cancelable contract AND the only way to end a contract early as I was trained was if you move 25 away. You people should read the contract fully before signing. It's your own fault for signing something without fully reading it. Yes, we were commissioned but they are not scam artist. So before you go off and complain about ATB maybe you should grow a brain and read contracts fully.

And with the medical notes from their doctor's about skin cancer here's the thing: it was YOUR fault for developing it. ATB didn't give it to you. It is the person and their inability to fully educate themselves on tanning safely and smartly. I am certified with Master's in the Smart Tan network and as certified member I can tell you this: Tanning can be done safely if done in moderation and with smarts. You shouldn't tan every day. You SHOULD always use a lotion, and yes ATB employees may come off pushy but tanning lotions boost 70% of your tan, help safe-guard the youthfulness of your skin, and REPAIR dna that was damaged in the tanning process. And if you follow the guidlines posted on the tanning beds and listen to ATB employees you will learn many things. And ATB will work with you with your contract with a medical note to an extent. Example: A customer at one of the stores I worked out devloped skin cancer, doctor said no more UV tanning (because of course doctors are one of the leading people to say tanning is bad) so ATB CORP worked with him to cut his costs and lower him to UV free tanning, but there again you are on a contract. An ironclad contract that you should READ before you sign.

• Sh
      25th of Jun, 2009

ATB is HORRIBLE. I went to the one in Norman on 12th and Alameda and agreed to sign up for ONE month of tanning. The lady behind the counter kept trying to sell me the one or two year contract, and I kept refusing, finally having to explain to her why-- I was moving in one month, plus I simply just did not want to tan for longer. She finally said, Okay, I can give you one month for $59.35, and I signed the form. BUT she LIED right to my face!! I just realized today that they've been charging me every month for 3 months. I found my carbon copy of the contract I signed. It is a 24 month contract! BUT I remember reading the contract-- I think she MUST have filled in other blanks in other parts of the contract AFTER I signed!! I am so upset. This was my first contract ever to sign, and I will be sure to read every detail of fine print and "X" through all of the blanks before signing for all my future contracts. It is unethical business practice, I feel duped like many others on here.

• Sh
      25th of Jun, 2009

To clarify- I believe she wrote in 24 months in the blank (and there were many blanks that she filled in) after I signed because what I read from what she had written on the form was that I would be billed for one month. There were other blanks to the right that were filled in saying that I would CONTINUE the one month payment for 24 months total. I am so upset.

9th of Aug, 2009

Do you have the phone number? When I have called the "corporate" number it says inbox full goodbye and disconnects your call.

• Br
      21st of Aug, 2009

Same thing is happening to me, my wife, and my sister-in-law. We we're heading to Hawaii in a month. They told us the same thing. Now it's not so.

22nd of Dec, 2009

I am utterly disgusted with ATB, I had a major family emergency come up, and had to relocate from colorado to texas as a result. I have tried repeatedly to call 'customer service' (what a freaking joke that is...) only to get sent into voicemail... 100% of the time!!! NEVER a return phone call, having left numerous messages over the span of 6 months. I've started spamming the email addresses I can find, and got this today:

All calls will be returned. We are experiencing high call volume. Leave your name and number.
    Barbara Young

Ya, I won't be holding my breath Barbara... Luckily, I lost my debit card and had to get it replaced, so the auto payments stopped... unluckily, they decided to send my account to collections... when there has been ZERO activity on the account for 6 months, the store I was going to was notified that I had an emergency come up, and i simply couldn't just 'walk in and cancel' (I've been in texas for the past 6 months, had to dish out $2k for movers to come in and pack and move my belongings 1000 miles)

anyone have any other contact numbers or emails that aren't showing up on the ATB website?

1st of Jul, 2010

We have been having issues with this company as well. We were able to reach a "customer service representative" after sitting on hold for 10+ minutes at 866-690-9080. Good luck though, the rep was extremely rude and did not help at all. In fact, she made the situation worse. I suggest contacting the BBB.

1st of Jul, 2010

I find it very interesting that ATB claims that they changed their contracts beginning in 2010 to cut down on customer complains due to lying employees (check it out, story from KDVR Denver Dec 2009). Just a couple days ago I was in to visit for my final time (due to time constraints with 3 small children at home) when the employee assured me that just 1 visit a month on their lowest bed option would be plenty for me to maintain my tan. Based on that info, I renewed my membership, only to find out 3 days later (after their "cancellation period") that I had been blatantly lied to and it would require 4-5 days a WEEK to keep up my tan. If information about the amount of time required had been readily available, I would have based my decision on that, however ATB chooses to provide that info to their employees, not their customers. Just because your contract says that you can only cancel for 24 hours does not give your employees the right to LIE to customers. If I hadn't been lied to, I wouldn't have signed up for another membership and cancellation would not be required. That is fraud, no matter what your contract says.

• Tr
      7th of Jul, 2010

Has anyone just bought the 120 credit for $24? After reading all these postings, I am afraid that I blindly signed up for something that I didn't want. I'm already disgusted that when I used the whole 120 credits on a measly 6 minutes (all the girl had to do was double check that is what I wanted to do for sure) what's customer service anyway these days? When she was putting my info in the computer I had to do a finger print thing like 4 or 5 times. I didn't have a contract or anything that I had to read or sign, just a finger print and a credit card signature for the credits and lotion. I'm very nervous now...

• Mi
      1st of Aug, 2010

I find it disgusting that someone came on here and had the gall to state that there is such a thing as "tanning safely". No there isn't. Never has been and never will be. I say this as a person who tans, I will get skin cancer, the odds are against me and I accept that, I don't however claim there is a way to avoid such a thing because there isn't. You may luck out and not get cancer, if so, lucky you! Odds are though, you will. Whether you tan every day, every other day, or just once a week. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to you.

• Cr
      4th of Mar, 2011

cestxbon: "certified with a masters in Smart Tan Network"? Wow, your parents must be so proud. I can't possibly think of a more rewarding career than asking people "how many minutes would you like to go in for today?" for the rest of your life. And in response to " it is YOUR fault for developing skin cancer", you are apparently not aware that you are supporting a company that supports the sale of UV rays that TRIPLE (proven fact, my dear) the prevalence of melanoma and as a personal who is apparently degreed in the subject (degrees for tanning, what a joke) you should fully understand the risks and also understand that not every 16 year old that walks into a tanning bed has a full knowledge what they are getting in to.

• Ta
      29th of Jan, 2013

I hate at the beach. I had a gift card for 60 dollars. 60 dollars was ALL I HAD WITH ME. And I kept being pushed around and hounded to get a 100 a month deal. I kept saying I only have this gift card and want ONE MONTH. I seriously had to explain that probably twenty times. I ended up walking out without tanning at all. Saying I would return with more money.. which we both know I wasn't returning at all. I would rather throw this card away than ever go back there and be so belittled. I will never return to a place where I feel exactly like a car is being sold to me instead of a SIMPLE tanning membership. They need to quit the commisions and actually start caring. Ridiculous.

• En
      5th of Jul, 2013

I met the District Manager of the Colorado At the Beach on my second visit. When she found out I was doing month to month she did everything she could think to try to get me to sign up for a two year, going as far as saying don't think about it so hard. Just do it. I couldn't believe my ears and when I got home I wrote a complaint on the company website. Five emails later and I still did not receive a response from the company. I went in and canceled after my first month. They charged my card the second month that I was not using their services. My bank returned the charge as fradulent. Months later I got a call from a collection agency for ATB. I explained how outrageous this was and forwarded my emails to the collector and after a little research they thankfully removed the amount due and nothing was reported to the Credit Bureau. I did some research and found that Colorado sued ATB for their business practies and won.
    This is from the state website:
    At The Beach
    Colorado Attorney General John Suthers announced the state has reached a settlement with the Oklahoma-based tanning chain, At The Beach. The settlement resolves allegations the company misled consumers about its tanning contracts. The agreement requires At The Beach to pay an estimated $350, 000 in consumer restitution, fines and attorney fees and requires that At The Beach halt its deceptive sales practices and record all of its future sales.

At The Beach allowed its employees to misrepresent that consumers could “cancel their contract at any time, ” according to the state’s complaint. Former employees and consumers told investigators that the company failed to disclose that cancellation would require payment of half of the remaining cost of the contract. Consumers also said they first learned of the cancellation fee when they attempted to cancel. The Office of the Attorney General estimates that more than $100, 000 will be refunded to more than 300 past At The Beach customers. The company also paid an additional $75, 000 to the state that was used to reimburse consumers.

The settlement also will require At The Beach to:

Install recording equipment in all of its stores and maintain an audio copy of every sale;
    Update its contracts to require initialing from consumers throughout the document; and,
    Simplify the documentation required to cancel a contract when moving outside the company’s service areas.
    If you believe you may have been affected by At The Beach, you may file a complaint with our office at www.coloradoattorneygeneral.gov/complaint

I hope this helps anyone else that has been harmed by this ridiculous company. Good luck!