Ascentive / Awful experience

I subscribed to the programs (have 4 different ones) that the company named 'Ascentive' offers. They are supposed to keep your computer running faster and free of clutter, viruses, and various other problems that are bad for your computer and that slow it down. I thought it was wonderful, but my computer just kept getting more and more problems; I do have Dial-up, live in a rural area and couldn't afford a satellite dish to get high-speed Internet, so when I saw this offer from Ascentive promising it would keep your computer free of clutter and would speed it up.

Well, my computer repair person says that Ascentive actually was constantly 'running' in the background, and instead of speeding it UP, it was dragging it DOWN, making it run even slower, and causing numerous frustrations. Eventually, (not KNOWING what the Ascentive products were doing), I took my computer to the repair person, and ended up having to get a new computer!!!

So, PLEASE stay away from the programs offered by this company. I also thought that it would be very smart to have TWO companies protecting my computer, but it turns out, that is NOT true, according to my 'expert, ' who says that is a BAD thing to do. AND along the 'way, ' McAfee caught that I was also using Ascentive, and warned me not to be using it. I just thought it was because of them being in competition with them. I should have taken heed of their warning, and gotten rid of Ascentive. My mistake! I hope this 'warning' will save some of 'you' who are reading this the costly mistake I made!!

Ja

Comments

• Sc
      3rd of May, 2009

You didn't need a new computer. That was nothing a wipe and reinstall couldn't have fixed. You were had. Sorry.

To protect your computer, there is absolutely nothing that you can't get for free. You never need to pay for protection with the assortment of reputable, free programs available.

Stay away from Norton or McAfee - these are resource hogs that will slow your computer down.

Dump your expert and find a college kid/local nerd who will keep you up to date and protected for FREE.

• Sk
      16th of Jun, 2009

I agree with ScarredDNA. Those technicians are doing their job by making sure that they blame programs and tell you that the computer is irreperable so that they can sell a new computer.

Just like what ScarredDna said, dump your technician, someone who is not connected to teh sales department of your local computer stores.

16th of Jun, 2009

you bought a new computer because of a "software" problem? you're kidding ... right? that wasn't a tech you spoke with ... he's probably a sales person