Arm and Hammer Peroxi-Care / Burned my mouth

Arm and Hammer Peroxi-Care... my mouth and lips starting getting numb after a couple of days of using this product. It got so bad I could not taste anything anymore and I can only describe the inside of my mouth as 2nd degree burns on all surfaces. I have used Arm and Hammer toothpaste in the past with no problem. This new stuff is total crap. Luckily my taste came back after about a week of discontinued use or there would be a huge lawsuit! Many other complaints can be found online.

Ba
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• De
      25th of Jan, 2019

I used 2 tubes of this before I realized it was probably the reason for my sore stinging tongue, swelling under the tongue with small blisters, white patches on the inside of my lips and cheeks, and painful cracks at the corners of my lips. It got to where I couldn't even brush my teeth because it made my tongue burn so bad. It got so bad I went to the doctor today to seek some relief. I had already searched all my medications to see if one of them could be the culprit but none had that side effect. Then I found this, and many other pages, about people with the same exact symptoms I am having from this toothpaste. I had just opened a third tube but that is now in the trash. I bought a natural toothpaste and mouthwash and it didn't hurt at all to use. I just hope this heals up soon, because it is very uncomfortable.

27th of Nov, 2018

Bingo! I had a problem with cracks and itchy dry patches on both sides of my mouth 3 months ago. At the time I was using arm and hammer baking soda/peroxide toothpaste and a new facial scrub.. stopped both products..took a while to heal. Now started same toothpaste and 2 days later skin around mouth is itchy cracked and dry.. why is this toothpaste still around??

• Bl
      1st of Nov, 2018

Also used Arm & Hammer with peroxide, after a couple days, my mouth was burning and had small sores in my mouth. Horrible stuff!

16th of Oct, 2018

I just bought (October 2018) a tube of Arm & Hammer toothpaste and it used if for about a week. My tongue feels like I burned it, as if I ate hot soup. I also developed a crack on the side of my mouth that has been painful (similar to a paper cut), and a distinct rash just below the lip. I think I am allergic to it. Yesterday after brushing my teeth, I used mouthwash and it felt like my mouth was on fire. I had to spit it out. At first, I couldn't figure out what was happening, but then realized that it was likely the introduction of a new toothpaste I've never used before. Horrible stuff.

• Ro
      2nd of Sep, 2018

I had the same problem using Arm and Hammer Peroxi-care toothpaste. I had blisters and burning inside my mouth and tongue and could eat only soft foods like applesauce. Finally I went to my dentist who prescribed medicated lozenges to clear it up. Why doesn't the FDA take this stuff off the market? I will never buy anything by Arm and Hammer ever again.

• Md
      19th of Jul, 2018

Add me to the list. I used arm and hammer toothpaste, began brushing my teeth and had a horrible burning sensation in my mouth. Felt like acid was poured on my tongue and lips...the next day I am having numbness, swelling and have what looks to be chemical burns on the inside of my lip...i will never use this again...

• Je
      14th of Jun, 2018

Oh my!! Wish I had looked this up a lot sooner but never thought my issues were from the toothpaste.
    I actually had a skin doctor thinking I had skin cancer on my lips. I was very uncomfortable with his diagnosis and decided to get a second opinion. He had given me a prescription for chemothreapy cream. Between the first doctor and the second opinion, I realized my toothpaste had the peroxide with the whitening and it put up a red flag. I told the second doctor about my discovery and he agreed. The first doctor jumped to the conclusion and wanted me to use the cream before taking a biopsy on lips. I guess he was that sure it was skin cancer on my lips. I had a gut feeling not to go through with it. Found out today I do NOT have skin cancer. The burning, sore, dry lips are from the toothpaste.

• Li
      17th of Oct, 2018

@JeanK That is awful. I almost thought I had some kind of oral cancer because of the pain and blistering. Who knew a toothpaste could do so much damage. My mouth has gotten better but my lips still feel like they are on fire.

• Fo
      26th of Mar, 2018

I used A&H AdvanceWhite for years and years. In November I started to have chapped lips, cracking in the corners, peeling of skin inside my mouth, dry mouth, etc. After eliminating a lot of things, thinking it might possibly be from chlorine in the pool I was swimming in, excess vaping, etc., I decided to try a different toothpaste. Everything cleared up within a couple of weeks, but since I had eliminated a lot I wasn't sure what happened.

Fast forward to this weekend. I ran out of the toothpaste I was using and had the A&H in the drawer. I used it 2 or 3 times, before I noticed the return of many of the symptoms including the extremely chapped/swollen lips and this time sores under my tongue. I was a little freaked out I might have picked up an STD or something, but seems the toothpaste is the most likely culprit. Thanks everyone for sharing! They need to pull this product.

• Ia
      10th of Feb, 2018

I had problems with the peroxicare toothpaste too. My lips were so dry and chapped and cracked in the corners and it also caused discoloration. No matter how many times I moisturized them, they still remained chapped. I didn't discover it until after a month that it was the toothpaste. I realized that it's the peroxide in the toothpaste because it is a powerful ingredient. As soon as I stopped using it, my lips started healing and weren't chapped anymore.

• To
      8th of Nov, 2017

Oh my gosh I thought it was just me. I started getting sores in the cracks of my lips. My mouth always feels dry toward the front of it. My lips as so numb that I'm unable to pucker and blow a kiss.

What should I do? I tried the peroxide version and the plain version and exact same results!

• Fl
      2nd of Nov, 2017

Same here. I used it from Friday evening to this morning, Thurs 11/2. I thought I had some sort of illness where my lips became dry and chapped and red on the inside. Also, I noticed that my gums got irritated, my throat dry and a smooth feeling on the roof of my mouth. Also, I felt my teeth tingling. Oh my goodness, I started to get depressed because I thought something is wrong with me. My husband and I decided that I should stop the toothpaste to see. Lo and behold I got itchy later on today and verified this mess on google. I will not touch this toothpaste again. This is shameful!

• Je
      28th of Oct, 2017

Arm and Hammer screwed up when they discontinued Mentadent toothpaste! I called the company to complain and they said it was a marketing decision. My response was that it was the worst marketing decision they could have ever made! I had used Mentadent since it came out because other toothpastes would leave a slimy film on my lips. Long story short, the company sent me a coupon to try Peroxicare toothpaste or another toothpaste with whitening properties. I’ve tried all A&H toothpastes and I HATE THEM!!! Each one has burned and irritated my mouth, tongue, gums and lips. I’ve also tried other brands with peroxide and baking soda...same effects!! PLEASE BRING MENTADENT BACK, ARM & HAMMER!!!

21st of Sep, 2017

I have the same complaint after having several episodes of major lip swelling and after reading all these complaints it's the A&H Peroxi-Care toothpaste! I couldn't figure out what was causing the swelling but I used the Peroxi-Care last night and woke up in the middle of the night with major swelling. My tongue is also swollen and like others that have complained I can't believe there're still selling this stuff! I have taken pictures of the last major swelling and showed friends and their reaction was "looks like you had botox done". Yes, that bad! If there's a pending or current lawsuit count me in. I have had to stay home from work several days because of the swelling and pain this is causing not to mention the after affect of major chapped lips after swelling goes down, not fun at all! This toothpaste should be banned!

• Ka
      19th of Sep, 2017

UPDATE ON MY PREVIOUS COMMENT:
    I am still having after effects from the Peroxi-Care. Just went to the Dr yesterday due to the salivary gland remaining enlarged and irritated. Was given a steroid cream to use. Will have to see an ENT if not cleared up in 30 days. Seriously, this toothpaste was bad, bad news for me.

• Ck
      19th of Sep, 2017

I used A&H Sensitive Orajel Whitening twice, and it caused my tongue, inside of my mouth & lips to feel burned. My tongue & below my tongue were red & inflamed. Once I stopped using it, the symptoms disappeared, but it took a couple days. I trust A&H, but this one toothpaste did a number on me. It's now in the trash.

• Ka
      20th of Jul, 2017

I have been using this product for over a year but in the last month, I started to suffer the exact same symptoms as others have mentioned! I thought I was going nuts. Gum/lip irritation, tongue losing the ability to taste as well, chin numb, chapped lips, cracks in the edges... the works! No idea why it took a year to develop my issues, but I have gone back to Crest..very plain basic toothpaste for the last week and ALL of the issues are either on the mend or gone. ALL of them. Something is definitely not right with this toothpaste.

• Sh
      19th of Apr, 2017

Same reaction as mentioned above by everyone. Chapped swollen lips, dry mouth etc.. I'm a college student, used it on spring break on my visit the Caribbean. Big mistake, my lips are suffering, at first I thought it was the salt water.. but after getting back I realized it kept happening and getting worse. I stopped and a day later chapped lips are healing, swelling is going down and my moth isn't as dry. Thanks Arm and Hammer, for making me realize not all toothpaste is for me. In my opinion it's too harsh for a toothpaste.

• Na
      7th of Apr, 2017

I have been using Arm and Hammer toothpaste with peroxide and baking soda and seem to be progressively losing my tastebuds. I have stopped using it at this point but will retain my tube of toothpaste pending legal review.
    Tim
    Florida

• Be
      28th of Mar, 2017

I have had the same terrible reaction from using the Arm & Hammer toothpaste with peroxide and baking soda for extreme whitening. My whole mouth is on fire, inside and out and it feels like needles in my mouth. I can't eat or drink anything that is even remotely hot.
    When I look at the dates of the other complaints, I can see that this has been going on for years! How can they be continuing to sell this product?? Maybe we should all be part of a class action lawsuit and get this product off the shelves forever!
    Becky
    Pekin, IL

• Es
      10th of Jan, 2017

Last year during this time I started get cracks on the sides of my lips and I bought aquaphor and heavily moisturized my lips because I thought it was because of the cold weather. It went on for months maybe 2-3 months even when I went on vacation the LA my lips were still cracked in the warm weather. Until recently I started a fresh tube of Arm & Hammer baking soda & peroxide, that I realized this might be the cause of the problem. I see that other people are having the same effects as me!