[Resolved] American Roofing And Exteriors / Fraud, fraud, fraud

This company is charging us a $600 cancellation fee for a contract that we did not agree to. There are two places to sign on the contract/proposal one that states that we understand the terms, and another place to agree to the proposal (thus turning it into a contract). We signed to show that we understood the terms of the proposal, but we did not sign in the place that makes the proposal an actual contract. Before signing on the first line, I asked the sales representative if we were bound to the company if we signed. He said no that we were not bound until the last line was signed. When we decided to go with another company (that did the work for the same price, but used higher quality materials, such as 30 weight felt, pricier shingles, and colored flashing), the man became offensive on the phone and said that we were bound by the contract, and that we owe the company 10% of the cost of the roof. We received a bill for $600 from their central office in Missouri. I called to have the situation resolved, to no avail. I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau.

What first made me suspicious of the company was that the sales representative did not give us an actual price for the roof. Instead, he just listed insurance proceeds plus deductible. All replacement wood would have been our responsibility as well. Additionally, we were to receive the insurance money in two checks. The first check was in excess of $4, 500, and the man wanted us to simply sign it over to the company, rather than follow the 50% in advance payment that is clearly stated on the contract. He reluctantly said that we could work something out when I expressed my concern.

The list of the 24 disclaimers on the back of the agreement also concerned me. Item 6 states that the company will not be held liable for any damage that they do to the building. Item 8 says that the company will not be held responsible if their equipment breaks up the driveway. Item 9 states that the company can use different materials than those agreed upon, as long as they meet with industry standards. Item 16 releases the company from liability if the roof becomes damaged due to defects (they may ask that you prove that it wasn't defective in the first place). Item 20 states that they will not guarantee that water will not pool on the roof.

Of COURSE we wouldn't agree to this! So when they come knocking... no matter how nice they SEEM, close the door, and save yourself some grief.

People need to be protected from companies like these!

• Resolution statement

• This is Matt Woods, owner of American Roofing again. So everyone knows, the anonymous complaints on this website still have not contacted us. We suspect they never will because the complaints are not true. Our contact number again is 800-766-3161

Bo

Comments

• Ab
      31st of Mar, 2009

This company did this same exact thing. After arguing with them about the cancellation fee they lowered the price by $1, 000. We agreed, biggest mistake of our lives. Nothing but problems now they are asking for $9000.00. I have argued and tried to contact supervisors. The supervisors won't call me back. The sales person does and we start from square one. I'm going to be forced to hire an attorney.

11th of Apr, 2009

This is Matt Woods with American Roofing and Exteriors. We have a cancellation fee on our contracts becasue our sales reps work hard getting clients insurance company to pay the needed amount to install the roof correctly, then clients cancel with us and have their cousin do the work for half the price and put money in thier pocket. That is called insurance fraud and we dont practice fraud.
    We operate in an ethical manor and if we were to make a mistake, we admit it and correct it ASAP.
    We are available to discuss this contract or any other contract with anyone.
    Call anytime at 800-766-3161 or email at info@arei.us

We dont badmouth others anonymously on the internet.

5th of Jan, 2017

It's unfortunate that my home insurance is partner with them them​ and dont realize what they are about.i stop the action before experiencing any hardship.the adjuster sent an estimate amount to the insurance, one in which the insurance send the money.come to find they was a non existent item being billed part of the estimate.they are unprofressoional i decided to get another company that's has better quality, longer guarantee and upgrade in shingles for the same price of the estimate.if my insurance decides to keep them it's time for me look into another insurance.anyone that gets recommendation from this company do your research before hiring them

• St
      11th of Jun, 2017

if you choose to let these clowns work on your home good luck. Mr. Woods does not pay his bills. specifically his subs he uses to do the work. most of them he has never even met. SCAMMER