American Laser Center / Fraud, possible class action lawsuit

1 6200 Uptown Blvd - Suite 419, Albuquerque, NM, United States Review updated:
Phone: 505-823-1333

My wife, her mother, and her two sisters all signed up for laser hair removal packages at $1281.00 a piece. It came with a 2 year warranty so they felt comfortable in paying the money. After six treatments there was no noticeable hair removal and they asked for their money back. The clinic manager gave them the runaround for months. When one manager was fired and another brought in, the standard statement of "Well, I don't know what they told you but I am here now" was given to all complaints and refund requests. At one point my wife had them take pictures and send to the owner (Dr. Neel Kanase). When he got the photos he scheduled a meeting with my wife at which time he told her there were any number of reasons why the treatments were not working. They can pick ANY reason under the sun for why it isn't working, but they still wouldn't give her the money back. He said she needed to see her doctor and have blood tests done to verify none of these problems were present, so she did. All tests were negative. Fast forward a year and I (her husband) contacted Dr. Kanase personally and threatened him with an immediate lawsuit if she was not given a refund. He agreed to refund her the money, minus 10% for an "administrative fee", for which I refused. He did agree to give her a full refund, which he followed through with.<br />
<br />
Her mother and two sisters however were convinced by Leah Blevins to continue the treatments for another year because, as she said in the meeting, "the settings were incorrect and I will be personally training the employees on the proper use of the machines." She promised them to extend the warranty out another year for the "new" treatments to work. They attended every single scheduled treatment. About a month or so ago (May/June 2009) my mother-n-law went for a scheduled treatment and was told that she would have to sign a new contract (which meant paying more money) or else she would not receive any further treatments. She did not sign a new contract and left without the treatment, which is a breach of contract by American Laser Center. Anyhow, fast forward 11 months (right before the year warranty is up) and on July 7th, 2009 she and I meet with Dr. Kanase at the Albuquerque clinic where he proceeds to not talk about the lack of hair removed, but rather how he was "hurt and lost sleep because defaming comments I made about him on the internet." When asked about the refund he stated that the industry standard 30-50% of hair removal, first time anyone had EVER heard that number. During their sales speech it was always total hair removal according to my wife, her mother, and two sisters. He stated that he would say that 70% of the hair was not removed, and since 50% was standard, he would divide the 70% by the 50% and give them a refund of 35%. They get to keep 65% of their money for NOT doing what they promised? I then asked if other clients were told of this 30-50% number when signing contracts and he stated firmly "Yes, we tell EVERYONE this." I then asked if he would mind if I asked the people in the waiting area if they were told of this number and he got VERY upset and absolutely refused, and I didn't push it any further.<br />
<br />
Dr. Kanase then threatened to sue me personally for defamation of character lawsuit which his lawyers (Benjamin Silva in Albuquerque) were ready to move forward with, and that "those types of lawsuits get into the millions of dollars." He was obviously trying to scare me from talking to anyone else about their problems with ALC, and as you can see it did not. Trying to intimidate a potential witness is a federal crime, perhaps his lawyers neglected to mention that little fact to Dr. Kanase. I placed a call to Mr. Silva which was not returned as of yet to subpoena the proof of my slanderous comments about Dr. Kanase.<br />
<br />
We are currently looking into a class-action lawsuit against Dr. Kanase and his American Laser Centers in Albuquerque, NM, Tulsa, OK, Amarillo, TX, Corpus Christi, TX, El Paso, TX, Lubbock, TX, and Midland, TX offices. If you would like to be included in this lawsuit, please email me and I would be happy to discuss your situation further.<br />
James Morris<br />

Comments

• St
      13th of Aug, 2007
    American Laser Center - Fraudulent and deceptive

They gave me a guarantee that they would be able to remove hair on my back (I didn't have that much to start with) - after six treatments they suggested I change to a different laser, at a different location.

After six more treatments they kept coming up with different excuses, such as double passing, my skin was too dark, my hair was too dark (I am a middle of the road Caucasian)... it was excuse after excuse. Anyway after 15 treatments, a huge waste of time (not to mention painful) - I have seen absolutely no change in the amount of hair. The only change : is when I call they don't answer, they will not pick up a private call... I guess they get too many complaints that way. Most importantly NO refund despite all the assurances that they would!!!

They would be the most unethical company I have ever dealt with. ****warning**** their treatment does not work **** warning ****

• La
      10th of Mar, 2008
    American Laser Center - No refund!
    Charlotte
    North Carolina
    Phone: 704-540-4999
    www.AmericanLasercenter.com

I received poor service from the company and asked for my money back and was told that it would be refunded to me in 7-10 days. That was on 2/20/08. It is now 3/10/08.

30th of Mar, 2008
    American Laser Center - Van stokes

Van stokes is a not only a horrible manager...but a horrible person in general! This woman should be in NO position of authority. She is emotionally unstable, rude, crude, and only after client's money. She does not care about her employees or clients. She treats her employees terribly and is often unprofessional in front of clients and flat out RUDE.I don't know how she has ever had the opportunity to attain employment ANYWHERE.

• Al
      25th of Apr, 2008

Hello Laurie,

I represent American Laser Centers and would like to apologize for your recent experience.

I am posting on these boards to help raise awareness of our newly expanded customer service department. We are working hard to make all of our customers satisfied.

I encourage you to either call our customer service hotline at (877) 252-2010 or email us at [protected]@alcpartner.com.

I hope this is helpful.

American Laser Center - FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD
    AMERICAN LASER SERVICES
    San Jose
    California

I DID NOT RECEIVE THE SERVICE I WAS PROMISSED.
    I WAS CHARGED ALMOST $3, 000.00 FOR 4 SESSIONS OF 45 MINTUES EACH. THAT IS $1000.00 PER HOUR.
    THE OPERATOR WAS UN PROFESSIONAL AND DID A TERRIBLE JOB. MY BODY WAS BURNET AND ITCHED FOR A FEW DAYS. I DID NOT SEE HER LICENSE AND NO DOCTOR WAS PRESENT TO SUPERVISE. THAT IS AGAINST THE LAW.

I AM GOING AFTER THEM

DO NOT FALL INTO THIS TRAP.

• Jj
      2nd of Dec, 2008
    American Laser Center - DOES NOT WORK
    Michigan

This hair removal process DOES NOT WORK. Do not give your money to this company, you will never see it again. I have gone through the six months of standard treatment, plus the additional two years guaranteed in the contract - I have seen no improvement. Plus, there is no refund given if the service does not work. Which it DOES NOT.

Save your money, ladies. This is a scam.

• Mi
      16th of Dec, 2008
    American Laser Center - ex management
    Florida

I'm looking for ex employess of ALC - please contact me. I am also an ex employee wanting to see how many of you are in FL? Specifically ex managers or am's either left or were fired...I want to know how many of you were taught the unethical ways of our dm...we all know who that is!

9th of Feb, 2009
    American Laser Center - Unprofessional, horrible service, fraudulent
    1999 Marcus Ave Suite 108
    Great Neck
    New York

Stay away from this American Laser Center, the management is horrible, fraudulent and staff very unprofessional, they tricked me with buying a package with their sweet faces, but then horrible service, no refund, no results and no one to complain to.

7th of Aug, 2009

It sounds like you threatened the guy, which is NOT OKAY NO MATTER WHAT.

7th of Aug, 2009

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee for laser hair removal.

• Cu
      2nd of Sep, 2009

I received laser hair removal treatment at two different medical facilities in Alabama and spent close to $3, 000 total from 2004-2006. Neither places were able to provide results for my excess facial hair problem. This summer, I had extensive bloodwork performed to determine if my problem stemmed from hormonal or other natural causes...the bloodwork came back negative. So I went back to my dermatologist from whom I received the first laser treatments. He told me that the FDA approved laser he used on me in 2004 actually was proven in 2006 to STIMULATE hair growth if the correct levels of energy were not used. WOW. So, I spent $3, 000, endured a great deal of pain, and spent a lot of time seeking laser hair removal only to have it make my problem worse. I seriously need an anti-depressant and would love to seek a class action against the laser manufacturer and the FDA if possible.

• Lo
      10th of Oct, 2009

HI i am from germany and i also became a victim of thsi biG fraud society here, i spended over few thousand euro to get free from the hairs but the onlyest thing i got where scars for my whole lifeand i think these laser treatment make ur hairs more brokeable then b4 SO PLS ACCEPT UR NATURE!!! or u ll look worser then b4

• Mu
      25th of Oct, 2009

American Lazer is a fraud and if they stood by their product..refunds would not be an issue. Spend your money elsewhere. Do not sign any contracts!
    CM Bonita Springs, FL

• Hy
      3rd of Feb, 2010
    American Laser Center - NO SHOW FEE?
    American Laser Center Houston Galleria
    4150 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX
    Houston
    Texas
    Phone: (713) 877-9222‎
    AmericanLaser.com

They charged me $35 no show fee, said it's from corporate, have you heard anyone charge their clients $35 no show fee? Since I have already paid all the service package, they don't care any more.

Bad service, don't ever use them.

• Do
      18th of Feb, 2010
    American Laser Center - froud
    American laser center
    Oregon

I was a customer with american laser center for 2 years I purcheased a package with them for 2, 500 for 3 years of service. A coupel of week ago someone called me to cancel my oppointment because they had closed their business. American Laser Center still owes me one year of service. I tried to call them many times but all I get is answereing machine. Not happy with them and will never use their serevices!!!

• Ra
      26th of Feb, 2010
    American Laser Center - Unproffisional
    3401 Centerlake drive
    Ontario
    California

No business process. I called the first time and they ask me in- the second time, I scheduled an appt for treatment. I'm there, they inform me about testing. The RN tells the receptionist, it is the protocol we should follow. The manager says so we would now which laser frequency we use (stronger/weaker) and the nurse says to know if your skin will burn.
    Totally unprofessional..

• Gi
      23rd of Jun, 2010
    American Laser Center - Not seeing results
    Madison Ave
    New York

I paid for full legs service hair removal. Almost two years of pain and bad service now they are saying that my contract is over. Any other ones out there please contact me directly.

• Co
      6th of Jul, 2010
    American Laser Center - Non-Refundable
    24 South 500 West, Bountiful, UT, 84010
    Bountiful
    Utah
    Phone: (801) 683-7901
    AmericanLaser.com

They are very expensive, they will not refund your money no matter what the circumstance. They tell you to pay the minimum payment until your refund goes through, and if you dispute the credit card charges it delays your refund process. They are pretty much forcing you to pay them. They are all very rude to talk to and are liars. They are very sneaky and cannot be trusted.

• Am