American Income Life / Scam

1 Omaha, NE, United States Review updated:

I am a previous employee for American Income Life in Omaha Nebraska for a short period of time and made ends meet when it came to the income, not the 50-60k that was promised. While working like a slave for John Akers I also saw a guy walking around that had Tony Robbins in his ear all the time on his IPOD and the guy's name was Brian Behrens. No one ever really saw him do anything, but he was always there and said that we should work 70 hours a week to solidify our futures. The truth of the matter is, everyone worked like a slave and never lasted past 6 months it seemed. There was a lot of chatter in the office about what was "going on" so I decided to research this shady "Behrns" character. This is what I found, check it out.

He is a crook and John Akers is a crook too! They treat employees as slaves and do nothing themselves. Do not work here! You will regret it.

Comments

• Th
      13th of Jan, 2009

There must be some kind of misunderstanding. First of all we make it very clear in our interviews that you will work hard 6 sometimes 7 days a week, insurance industry is a hard one to suceed in. Also in the last 2 months there has only been one person quite and that was voluntairly. But in the last 2 months we have given out 5 promotions and one of those being a State Directors position. The gentlemen you are referring to doesnt work at american income. If you would like to discuss the facts and not what you think you know you have my number if you would like to visit, but im sure you dont cause your wrong. American Income is one of the leading Insurance Companys today that have a A+ rating also Warren Buffet one of the smart individual there is when it comes to financial integrity owns our publicly traded stock.
    I am sorry you didnt suceed with American Income but instead writing a bunch of false information you could have just asked for help. My agency wouldnt have double digit growth every year if that was true. Good luck finding a new career

• Ka
      10th of Feb, 2009

i interviewed there and it seemed fishy. they only talked about money money money and hard work so you both make some sense but everyone i talked to after my group interview didnt want the job because it seemed like a scam. nobody ever talked about customer service just how to get more money out of them. two weeks after they called me for a interview another guy called me again which was weird. other people seem to agree that this is a bad place.

• Jd
      4th of Mar, 2009

Nice office, but there was something wrong with the atmosphere. I drove over an hour to get to the interview and found out that everyone else there knew very little about the job. We were just told it was about Unions and we were going to make 40-60k a year, they never told us it was all commission and we would have to drive our own cars and spend our own gas money to make it to appointments. While I was waiting to go to my interview they were interview people really fast, almost like an assembly line. There was a guy there in a torn button up and tattered jeans with tennis shoes for an interview and another that said he took his lunch break early for this interview in the mid morning and he was dressed in construction attire, but other than that, the rest of us looked professional.

The interview was a joke as they asked "Why do you want to work at American Income?" I really didn't know, they didn't tell me anything about the company, or what we were supposed to do, just that we made 40-60k a year. I didn't accept the second interview which looked like a group of people, so I just went home and called a couple of guys I went to high school with about 20 years ago that I thought were in a union. Here is what they told me...

"That is that place that comes out all the time and tries to sell us more insurance, they're really annoying and won't leave us alone."

"Never heard of them"

"I had that accident stuff they sell that is supposed to work when I go to the doctor but I pay and pay it and never works. Glad you called, I need to cancel that crap."

Three non positive responses for a job that I'm glad I didn't take. Seemed bogus to me. Katybug, it looks like you got the same idea I did. Did they tell you it was all commission?

• Th
      5th of Mar, 2009

This is a list of the top 100 companies to work for in 2009. When I was called for an interview, I was baffled. I didn't apply for a job? I let the guy talk about this and that and how much money I would make. I was not impressed, I made more at my past three jobs, but that is besides the point. The gentleman I spoke with on the phone didn't seem to know what he was talking about like he was reading off a piece of paper. When I asked him questions about the job, he seemed pushy to get me in for an interview. Again, I didn't apply! I don't know where he got my information, or why he called me, but he kept saying that it was a top company to work for. By the sounds of it, and what I have read online from several other sites, this is far from a top company.

"The Truth" you appear to have some backing to this company, but did you know that Warren Buffet owns and public trades stock in almost everything? I can only assume that you are a young semi - professional without a college education, possibly not finishing high school by your etiquette and lack of writing prowess. If you are going to back a company in question, at least punctuate, capitalize, and have proper sentence structure or you almost instantly lose credibility.

JDeM and KatyBug, keep your chins up, companies do this all the time because they have extremely high turnover. I've seen this kind of thing before and steered clear of them.

Best of luck in these difficult economic times,

Thom

• Sc
      17th of Mar, 2009

If you read the closest thing I could find to a homepage, there are several contradictions in it. I'm a bit unsure as to whether they are even a real insurance provider. I was told earlier today on the phone that the manager saw something in my resume he liked, she guessed, and that he saw it on monster or hot jobs or "something". The whole conversation was scripted at first, until I kept interrupting her. I mean, flaky from the word go. I figured out pretty quick when the word sales came up that it was commission based and said that evidently someone did not actually read my resume. If they had they would have seen that I'm a trained and certified computer geek, not a commissioned salesman. The kicker was she said that there were multiple positions available, and that she didn't know what exactly they were because she was only the appointment setter?????? How flaky is that?????
    Good thing I google every company I interview with. It's good to know something about the people you are considering working for. Also, real interviewers respect and appreciate someone who does their homework pre-interview. Either way, I am supposed to drive to another state, only about 45 minutes away, but still...it's a different state, for a 9am. interview. I almost want to just to make the wannabe manager interviewing me have a bad day from the word go, lol. Hey God Bless you folks and thank you for saving me from wasting my gas money. Every dime is a big deal right now, and I'm sorry to see it happened to any of you. Let's hope we can save a few more people from getting burned, too. Also, I, m looking into some of the local and beyond local officials, so-called politicians who work for us, to see how many of them may take a liking to this story. If nothing else I imagine the local news media would love it. What I read in a few of these posts are down right illegal. Not to mention I still am not sure they are selling a real product.

• Ca
      30th of Mar, 2009

Thanks to all of your comments, I have been SAVED! Saved from wasting any of my valuable time on another scam. I am so tired of getting my hopes up for that dream job and then have the bubble burst once more. When I opened the email from AIL, I didn't even remember applying for a job with their company, so immediately a little red light went off and I decided to google. As I have said, thanks everyone for saving me the time and aggrevation.

Have a super day!

Candice swick

2nd of Apr, 2009

I can't believe I’m sitting reading these complaints. You know I see so many people in a week it is impassible to make everyone happy if I could I would be making billions of dollars. It is just not possible. I will agree with you their are people that should have not be hired by American Income Everyone I meet says that they are hard working, couchabull, and have greet work ethics I doubt they would tell me anything different. Nobody walks into an interview saying they don't have these strengths. Truth is told I'm lucky if I find in 1 out of 10 people. If called by American Income feel good about it they filter throw about 1, 500 resumes a week and if they are calling you it is a good thing. Go find out for your self, research the comp. properly. They have been around for over 80 years and work with over 43, 000 different unions. Trust me not a SCAM.

• Je
      13th of Apr, 2009

### american income, how dare those ### trick me. i had gotten a call while i was at work, they gave me info and i wrote it down, scheduled an interview after work, he said their interviewing hours were at 10am, he scheduled me for 4pm., i shouldve known. my beautiful Natalie had googled these jackoffs and told me that its a scam. i really need another job, im a temp right now, ill soon be broke. ### american income, they gave me false hope, ### america for making everything expensive, yea ### you too if your from ail, . get ###ed.

18th of Apr, 2009

Maby you should go see for your self insted of leting other people make a decisions for you. You gust passed up a one of a kind opp. You might want to work on your VOCABULARY.

• Db
      22nd of Apr, 2009

I don't know who to believe. I do have to say that Becka needs to work on her spelling. Next, If it is real, Why could they not tell me anything about my past emplyment when I asked. I mean it only seems right that they say, " I found your resume on Monster.com and it's outstanding", that I should be able to ask "what did you find so outstanding about it?" I did not get my answer. Instead, the woman seen really frustrated with my question, was hesitant in speeking and then she hung up on me.

• Pa
      25th of Apr, 2009

The real "truth" about American Income in Omaha is that every time you call and ask for Bryan Behrens; they say he either isn't in or is unavailable to come to the phone. Sure sounds like somebody that works there. Also their office is the same one that Mr. Behrens ran before the SEC shut him down for securities fraud.

This week the US Attorney filed 21 charges against Behrens for securities fraud, wire fraud and mail fraud. Seems as though he stole 6.5 million dollars from abought 20 elderlyinvestors; and the State of Nebraska revoked his license to sell insurance. Sounds like a high quality firm you would want to work for; this is the real "truth".

Bill

• Co
      30th of Apr, 2009

i was one of the stupid ### holes that stayed for the presentation today after my "interview".. what a crock of ###... shame on AIL for trying to scham blue collar hard working americans and shame on the stupid ### that are doing it face to face lying day after day... nothing like selling your soul for a descent paycheck.. as for u becky.. i hope u and all your co-workers at AIL get the same respect at your next job that you are giving to all job seekers walking in your office with hope of an honest position like you want to speak of in your crappy sales pitch... scam is not even a good enough word to describe this... its just plain ###..

4th of May, 2009

AI called me today, good thing I googled them as well. Thank you all for saving me a trip, and gas money!

4th of May, 2009

I agree who has time and money to waste on false information.

• Lo
      7th of May, 2009

I just wanted to post saying that American Income Life is not a scam. If this business is such a scam, Yahoo would not have ranked it 33 out of the top 100 jobs to work for. So for all of you people who are doing research before your interviews, lets try looking at actual facts instead of all of these complaints that people are posting because they realize the job is actual work and not the 8-5 factory or office job. If you are called in for an interview, feel honored that they are calling you. Its your calling of a lifetime if you want to be successful.

• Er
      27th of May, 2009

Okay, so I am from Southern California. I never heard much about this company, but received a phone call from them earlier today. I thought it was a little funny that the HR lady called me from a different area code, then where the interview was conducted, and in CA that is not normal! Well, I have a friend from Indiana and I told her about it, she told me to beware. I couldn't remember the name of the company because the HR lady didn't really mention it much, so I looked at the emails they sent me and they only abbrevated the name, but I googled it anyway. I have had bad experiences with companies and like to look them up before I go to the interview. I found the website alittle suspicious, like it wasn't a job, but something I would have to pay up front for. So I did further research, and it turns out that I was correct! Thank you everyone that posted their comments, because right now I am unemployed and don't have money to spend on gas to sit in an hour of traffic. Also, I have worked for great companies and you don't have to work 7 days a week for 12 hours to make good money, and any respectable company would pay for training. Thank you again everyone for saving me time and money!!

Erin

• Xr
      30th of May, 2009

Just FYI, there is a real product that they sell. No... I agree that commission based sales aren't for everyone and that they should be more selective in who they call, however in this job market MANY people are looking outside the box for ways to make money. Like any job, it's not easy, but there is fair compensation for those who choose to follow their program. It's not a scam, it's just that there is a lot of work and personal accountability. In the end, you choose how much you can afford to put in to it. It is all based on your perspective. I was quite suspicious at first, but after going through the program, I can attest that it is what they tell you it is in the interview. It is indeed a commissioned sales position, but there are also philanthropic opportunities.

5th of Jun, 2009

I believe the have a product, perhaps a decent one. However, I have found through research that they require payments of close to $1000 for a “security" clearance and administration/registration fees. Additional research revealed that the true nature of the job was not made apparent in either the phone call and the initial interview.

Obviously there is a difference of opinion here. More research is needed. I may call my state's Attorney General to determine how many complaints have been files and how many have been successfully resolved (that's all the info they will give). I have done this before and have found that there is a direct correlation between the number of complaints and the ethical veracity of the company.

• Dd
      25th of Jun, 2009

Despite what they say, American Income Life, is NOT registered with the American Insurance Assoc. This company is a scam. I work for Prudential Life and Casualty, and hear about dissatisfied customers that have been scammed by this company all the time. I decided to check this American Income Life out for myself; I interviewed for a sales position, and was told that I could make tons of money each month. The reality is that this company is commission based, and you have to get hard working individuals, with little to no former education, to believe that you are looking out for their best interest by selling them “Peace of Mind”. The company takes the money from these individuals, invest it for themselves, and make the claim process so difficult that most 92.7% of all claims that are filed are denied benefits. If the insured dies, there is no payout to the family, if a claim is pending and the individual dies, the claim is automatically declined. The employees of American insurance Assoc, work long hours and the commission is not worth the effort. There is a large employee turn-over with this company, and most people only stay up to a year.

• Oc
      10th of Jul, 2009

I went to one of their so-called interviews, in which they gave a presentation that reminded me of an infomercial. There were so many other "candidates" there, it was like a seminar. They claimed agents could make over a million dollars in their first year, and that was when I decided there was no way it was legitimate. I can't believe companies can get away with deception like that. If this was such a great company to work for, why would they have to make up ridiculous lies and try to sell their jobs in large seminars? The reason is because it is a pyramid scheme. My advice: stay away from American Income Life. Also, I am copying Monster.com's advice for dealing with possible fraud below, so that the people who post here can officially file complaints of possible fraud:

"How to Report Possible Fraud

* File a complaint online with the FTC or call toll-free (877) FTC-HELP (877-382-4357).

* Notify the state attorney general's office where you live and where the business-opportunity promoter is based.

* Call your county or state consumer protection agency, listed in the phone book's blue pages under county and state government.

* Alert the Better Business Bureau in your community and where the promoter is based."