American Greetings / scam

These people are total scammers. I signed up for a 30-day free trial. They charged my account $29.98 after 15 days. I called their customer service and after a dozen attempts I was able to actually speak to someone. I requested a refund and a cancellation. The representative agreed and gave me a confirmation number. 15 days later, no refund. I called back and after a dozen more attempts, I finally talked to a representative. I explained my circumstance and the representative claimed to have no record of a previous phone call or cancellation request. In addition, they claimed my membership trail was only for 14 days. They refused to refund my money. This business is very unethical. Beware.

Ja

Comments

• Pr
      6th of Jul, 2009

I had such a bad experience with these people and their unethical yet well laid out scams. Actually, I must say after my trial period I agreed to a yr subscription. The following year I not only got another yr (chg automatically) I decided to have a trial period of Create & Print . So far so great. Now here's where things go bad. When I was charged auto matically for the eCard &and the Create & Print on my bank card..I couldn't get into my Amerucan Greetings to do either (eCard nor Create and Print. I, too had to go through their maze of getting actually speak to a rep for the problems. As emailing them got me no responses after several emails and months later. Still no service avail. Yet the operator said she couldn't see why I was having probblems and that she'll get me tech support. They finally got me to one and the tech support gave some theory to try. So, I hung up the phone and tried what they thought would fix the prob.. It didn't. So, I started doing my own research months later after frustarted attemps to "use the techs idea) . Viola'. Here I was charges for 2 Create & Prints but NOT eCard subscription. Their computer system WONT let me into either services if I am not sign on with eCard. So, 10 months into a paid subscription for both services (which, remember i didn't get to use)I called (after 20 minutes of mazing)I told them of my new findings. So, their answer was.., .'We can't refund you or reset the computer to give you a 10 month credit but we can give you a 6 months free trial" Fine...If that's the best you got...fine."But, after that I don't want any more service. No debits or re-subscribing" I said to him. I didn't even use their "free time" as I was so frustarted with the upcoming rediculous (un creative) eCard choises. In otherwords the quality went down hill FAST. But, guess what? I git charge yesterday to my bank acct $29.99 for another year. How insane is this bad nightmare you ask???. It gets worse. I went through my banks phone number to reach the "merchant" which is a better number than what one can find on line, still 20 minutes of their jimmied phone prompts I get a hold a customer service. Sorry the computer cant' cancel charges because I didn't close the acct out. WHAT. I am so feeling defeated. Most people work and make money for this kind of effort and attention. Me, I loose money. I am unemployed and can't stand the thought of this battle with unethical behaviour. Besides, I heard there is a website to give you codes for free membership if anyone wants to take advantage of this company. GO FOR IT, I say...

• Zo
      8th of Nov, 2009

For the third year in a row, I just had to call my bank and have yet another fraudulent c harge by American Greetings removed from my checking account. I signed up for the card service in 2005 for $15, and canceled the next year. Then in 2007, 2008 and now 2009 they continued to charge my debit card once a year.

This evening I went to the website looking again, in vain, for an e-mail address or some way to contact them and of course there is still no contact information to dispute the fraudulent charge. I logged into the account that I used to use, and clicked on "How to cancel your account." When I clicked on the option, a screen pooped up that says, (quote)
    "You are welcome to send cards until your subscription ends on 11/12/2009, as requested your
    payment method on file will not be charged again."

So they acknowledge that I canceled that subscription (again), and they STILL freaking charged me $15.99 again for another year! I am unbelievably angry at this ongoing scam. I just called my bank and they immediately credited my account for the $15.99 and filed a dispute for me with American Greetings, which has 5 days to prove that the charge is legitimate. They also canceled my debit card for me and are issuing a new one with a different number so it cannot be charged again.

It just seems unfathomable to me that this company, American Greetings, can get away with perpetuating this fraud year after year on so many people. Not only will I never use their cam online service, but never again in my life will I ever buy an American Greetings greeting card. I am really, really pissed off (in case you can't tell).

• Eu
      12th of Jan, 2010

I agree 1000% with the negative comments above. When you call their customer service phone#, there's no option to talk with a live rep. And if you reply to the emails they send you, they're returned undeliverable because of no such email address.

I've tried unsuccessfully to send 2 e-cards. Both times their stupid system said they don't allow URLs in the message part of your ecard, and that I had to remove the URLs. But there were NO URLs in the message of either of those ecards!! There's no FAQ or Troubleshooting answer/solution for this problem. I think the problem is with Firefox because I was able to successfully send one of the same cards using Internet Explorer 7.

My frustration (before I used Internet Explorer) led me to cancel my subscription through my AG online acct. The confirmation email said my acct won't be charged again. I can still use my subscription 'til it expires in late August. To try to prevent them from charging me credit card again anyway, I tried changing the credit card# on file in their system. But it's smart enough to try to validate the card# and when my dummy card account#s didn't validate, it wouldn't let me leave that box empty either. So they still have my valid card info on file. If I get an email saying they auto-renewed my subscription in August, I'm going to contact the Attorney General's office of the state in which they're registered.

I don't understand why a company would go to so much time and effort to create and apparently maintain a huge website like this and then be scamming people! Thank God for Karma.

• Mo
      10th of Dec, 2010

I have paid membership. I sent a card to my Parents for their 50th wedding aniversary. They never got it. There is NO WAY to speak to anyone about the issue. If you try and call, you will be on hold indefinately; oh, the only way to even get on hold is if you prompt for "new membership." They obviously have no $ or no concern for customer retention. Do not let them get your $ before they go down for the count.

• Mo
      24th of Mar, 2011

I have a similar problem and I am yet to figure out how to stop those guys charging my credit card every month.

• My
      28th of Mar, 2012

yep, they're a rip off alright. I signed up for a trial and then canceled my subscription online. I even checked back on the website to make sure. Then 3 years later I notice they're still charging my account annually. Yes, I know I should have noticed before but the charge only comes through once a year. They totally refused to refund me even though I still had paperwork I printed out showing I had canceled. Turns out you have to go to some other, obviously well-hidden website to cancel. I showed them I hadn't used their services in all that time and they would not budge one inch. A lady from the BBB got involved after I sent her my paperwork showing I had canceled and they still refused to budge. If you go to Ohio BBB where they're registered you can see many complaints about the very same thing. All I can say is that they're a rotten company with deceptive business practices. They wound up scamming me for about $80

4th of Jun, 2012

American Greetings took advantage of my ONLY CHILDS love for me and ruined my 71st birthday.
    As of 06/04/2012 I have not received my $100 gift cards and my son has not gotten his money back! SCAM!!!
    My son sent me an e- card and $100 through American Greetings on 4/15/2012.

I followed the directions on the site and selected three gift cards for my very favorite restaurants. I chose The Olive Garden $25, PF Changs $25, and Bonefish Grill $50.

As of 06/4/2012 I have not received anything but excuses from American Greetings.

I checked with all the restaurants and found out they don’t do business with American Greetings.

10th of Jun, 2012

6/10/2012 Received a gift certificate directly from Olive Garden...Thank you Olive Garden for sending the Gift Certificate!

American Greetings has still not sent anything. (Olive Garden sent a certificate on their own!)

11th of Jun, 2012

06/11/2012 Received PF Changs and Bonefish Grill from (icard gift card), Ft Lauderdale, FL (Hope they work!)

Thank you Complaints Board for being our voice!

• Ga
      16th of Oct, 2012

I just signed up for a week's trial and canceled on the 7th day. They charged me for the month anyway. I emailed support and was told that I had to cancel "during" the trial, , , well what exactly do they think the last day of a trial is!? That IS "during" the trial. They refuse to refund. Really bad business practice!

• Al
      30th of Jan, 2016

Thanks for the warnings! I'm glad to say I checked before I bought. You kept me from being ripped off. Many thanks!

• De
      22nd of Feb, 2016

I worked for this co. for 7yrs 9mos and they treat there employees like crap. they run there company by there own rules. I was injured on the job and they didn't want me to turn it into l&I but I did anyway I was back to work before I got any money because they were very slow in returning paper work. they never replied to the unemployment office to verify the info that I gave so they made it where I was denied unemployment. and to top off the cake this is the 21st of feb and have yet to get my w2. If you need a job work any where else but this company. there called "AMERICAN" greetings but they farm out the call center jobs to OTHER COUNTRTES!!! cant even understand them. whats up with that

• Sc
      22nd of Jan, 2018

Stay away. After putting in my credit card info this company charged a $1.00 to see if my credit card was valid. Two weeks later we were alerted that three fraudulent charge attempts were made on our credit card, totaling over $3, 000. Fortunately these were caught before they went through but we needed to cancel our credit card. We only hope that there weren't any other security breeches as a result of trying to send greetings cards through Americn Greeting online co.

• Ss
      18th of Jun, 2018

This is criminal fraud. Cancelled in 2010. No charges in 2011, 12, 13. Then they start charging again in 2014. Noticed three years later.