Alienware Area-51 Laptop / Disappointing laptop, broken hardware, crap customer service

1 14591 SW 120 ST, Miami, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-287-6727

Alienware laptops (and probably desktops) are totally piece of crap. I'm going to be prety honest here. I just bought an Alienware Area-51 M15X. This is my agent account ID: 483666 and this is the agent Order: PC-615285A. Bought it last november but since i don't live in US, it needed around 3 weeks to arrive here. Already tried this laptop for one week and I want to give it 1 out of 10 for rating. No hype here for my rating. Totally honest. The laptop is totally broken, here's why:

1. The keyboard is totally piece of crap. Sorry for my excessive language but it's true. I have another laptop, it's Sony VAIO and vaio keyboard is 100x better than alienware. Everytime I typed 20-30 letters on alienware, the keyboard didn't respond properly for 1-2 time (for example, i want to write "keyboard", but although I properly typed it, on the screen it showed "keyoard". So i need to keep pressing backspace after typed some letters). It doesn't respond well, that's my point. The worst keyboard ever, nothing compared to VAIO and even Acer.

2. Now this is the main problem. I bought this laptop for around $4, 000 and yet i can't play any games. Why? Here's why:

Too lazy to click it? Not a problem. Basically on that thread, I complained that every time I installed a new game, it gave me a blue screen of death. For example I have just bought a Fallout 3 game, i installed it. Then even if I was just browsing, it still gave me BSOD message and then it crashed. I can only avoid the blue screen of death if I uninstall the game. Then few days later I tried to install GTA4 on the laptop, no luck. Still same result. Basically it's not only if I play the game, but AFTER I INSTALLED THE GAME, it gave me BSOD. You think this is due to Vista? Think again. It's WHEA error and it's happening due to the broken hardware.

Check this out:

I took these screenshots after the second time I got BSOD. Already tried the Alienware for one week and everytime I attempted to fix things and tested it again by installing and playing heavy games, it always gave me BSOD crash error. (now i'm back to my VAIO because their keyboard is totally unresponsive so it's just a waste of time trying to do anything there)

This is the dump file that was created after that 2nd BSOD. I uploaded it to the above link (techsupportforum) but since people probably won't read that thread, I will just give the download link here:
and also check the performance report HTML file:

Everyone who I asked about the problem always give me ONE recommendation: Send back the laptop. I read somewhere Alienware always took 1-2 months to check the problem of our laptop so it'll be really very time consuming to send back the laptop (need 3 weeks for the laptop to arrive here so total 6 weeks PLUS 2 months of their lame repairing? Will do though if it can help).

So what did I do beside complaining? Plenty of things. First, i have sent them emails, probably already 10 emails since the first day I got this laptop. But they never answered. They only answered it once, asking for my order ID EVEN AFTER I TOLD THEM THE NUMBER "PC-615285A". Can you believe it? I have told them about my numbers, yet they replied "Hey, can you verify your order by giving us the order ID bla bla bla". Then until now they never answered anything anymore.

So I called them at [protected], although it was expensive (internationa call) i didn't care. I just wanted to ask. I explained to them about the problem, and yet they can't answer anything. It's just look like they are avoiding me. They even told me to just wait for the reply of the email and 2 days later after the phone call (which is now), they still haven't sent me any reply.

Then I tried to chat with them. But the chat representative said that I should just call the technical support because she was just taking care of sales support. I explained how the technical support didn't want to take any responsibilities and how they never answered my problem, then she said "sorry" and closed the chat session. WHAT A BEHAVIOR!

My Alienware Area-51 M15X is worth more than $4, 000, NOT INCLUDING the tax fee, shipping fee, etc. It came up with Core 2 Extreme (2.8 GHz), 4GB dual layer memory, and nVidia GeForce 9800M GT. I was a fool buying this laptop because I just thought it was cool. Actually, this laptop is totally a piece of crap and not even worth $1. The keyboard and ESPECIALLY the blue screen problem really made me frustrated. It seems my Alienware Area-51 M15x has an overheating issue or something but again, the support didn't want to take any responsibilities.

Now i'm really afraid if I send back the laptop to them, they will just keep it for them. BAM, I'll lose everything. So Alienware team, if you won't help me and still acting like a bit*h, let's make it a war. I don't only post the issue here, but everywhere. I even have been thinking to use my internet marketing skills to promote my complains on web pages so people will know that if they buy an Alienware product, they'll be making a very big mistake. :)

Congratulations, Alienware. Your Area-51 M15X has just fooled me. You guys caught me in your trap. Now you can pay your bills by ******** me and other of your customers. One day, you're going to regret it.

Comments

• Te
      20th of Dec, 2008

Oh and btw, before commenting here, please make sure you are legit (not paid by Alienware to turn down my post or something). I also posted the issue everywhere I could and probably even putting it on my biggest website later. The above post is just based on my experience but I know certainly they DO NOT want to take any responsibility for this broken hardware. That's why they keep avoiding me.

• Ag
      20th of Dec, 2008

Well I sure won't recommend Alienware to any of my Pals won't you?
    Being expensive is one thing but having poor customer support is another.
    It took me ages before a Alienware customer personal contacted me for my problems.Even that my Alienware Laptop still isn't rid of it's problem!This only makes me regret the decision to buy this brand once and for all.I want quality products, not simply an over priced piece of ### like this.

• Va

oh! wow!

Thanks for telling me.. and thank god i read this complaint.. i was about to buy the same laptop.. i have about to leave home to buy and i read this complaint..

Thank You Very much for informing about this to me!

Thanks alot!

• Va

oh crap!

I forgot about telling this to my brother!

I read this.. felt relieved but i forgot to tell about this to my brother who was also going to buy this laptop.
    We both were going to buy this laptop.. but I read this and got saved.. but my brother didnt know and i didnt tell him and he bought the laptop!

We checked the laptop and then.. what we found?
    Exactly what the above complaint mentioned!

Everything crap!

This is what happened:
    The service was poor and the seller was dying to give my bro this laptop.
    My Bro wasnt allowed to check the laptop there before buying.
    The payments were delayed.
    They took an extra fee.
    We saw the keyboard was broken.. some keys not there.
    The Switch On button was not there.
    the USB ports behind were rusted..
    They didnt receive the phone calls i made to them.
    I went to the shop for returning and they said : NO!
    I was so pissed off...

A warning to all of you guys..

Dont Buy this laptop.. and u are lucky to see this complaint before buying!

Damn it!

• Ho
      20th of Dec, 2008

I bought this laptop and i had the same issue as you.The alienware team is pathetic and dosent care about their customer.
    So i recommend all user not to go with alienware

21st of Dec, 2008

My friend had an experience with alienware, and it was bad. The laptop was unbelievably in bad shape, and the customer support was terrible. Most softwares don't work on it. He did send it back, but hasnt got it back yet. What bad service.
    I totally agree after reading this that alienware is horrible.

21st of Dec, 2008

Alienware!! aarrgh

This is just the best of the worst! my god!!

I bought it yesterday.. planning to give it as a Christmas gift for my friend.. and thought i would check it today as it was midnight yesterday..
    and.. to my surprise.. when i saw it today morning.. it looked like this.. its not mine.. but it looked like it:

man!

What a waste of money! i could have either invested it or bought a RAM of 2GB instead!
    damn!

I had the same experiences.. the shops refusing.. the companies not co-operating.. man! what a mess..

I looked like it was thrown from the top of a petronas and a baby at the bottom trying to catch it! and ofcourse the baby dropped it and the laptop shattered!

I was really hoping something from this.. but nothing!

aww.. CRAP!

Alienware is like a adware and spyware which is nothing but a broken ware!

Please dont use it.. anyone!

• Ab
      22nd of Dec, 2008

yeah guys...i too got a notebook frm Alienware and its just freakign horrible...mine gets super heated in 30minutes...
    chk the screenshot here:

i have 2 notebooks and this alienware one is complete crap...waste of money...

22nd of Dec, 2008

I absolutely agree with what you said. Alienware customer support is a joke. They are complete ###s who can't even speak English properly. Their Spanish accent sounds ridiculous. Of course, this is not the only thing that made me angry. It was their broken Alienware Area-51 M17x. That machine was ###in' terrible and broken. I sent it back to Alienware myself but they took 2 months to repair it.

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? TWO MONTHS! After I sent back the laptop, they told me to wait for 2-3 weeks. After I called them, they said the laptop would be ready to be sent back to my home. But hell, i was waiting for more than 1 and half months. I called them again and for the fourth times they kept telling me it would be sent right away. In the end they didn't scam me (ALMOST) but as I said it took 2 months for me to get the laptop.

I played only around 3-4 hours daily for the next 3 months but suddenly it got overheated and I can see the crack until today. I was too lazy to send it back to Alienware, they are scammers. I won't ever buy any other things from them anymore. ### you Alienware.

*PS: I still don't get it how come popular sites like PCMag, CNet, or NoteBookReview gave Alienware4 or 5 stars every time they had a new product for sale. Alienware scheme is to pay big sites so we will buy their broken machine. What the ###. Think people, think! Is it worth it to pay $2, 500 or even more for a broken hardware? With the same amount of money, I can buy myself a BEAUTIFUL iMac without no lags! ###!

• Sh
      22nd of Dec, 2008

I absolutely agree with what you said. Alienware customer support is a BLACK SPOT on the name of SUPPORTING their costumers. They also dont help ur using good ENGLISH and their talk is irritating with a mix. of Latin and English .

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? TWO MONTHS! After I bought the laptop, the laptop`s motherboard went in HEAVEN. After I called them, they said the laptop assistance would be provided to me . I WAITED OVER 2 weeks for their help but noone came . I then again ringed them back, THEY SAY THEY DONT HAVE COMPLAINT and then they said TELL UR COMPLAINT No.

THATS WHAT I HAVE AND THEN COME TO SEE IT AFTER 1 yr and not repaired it yet

22nd of Dec, 2008

man i thought iam tthe only one suffering from alienware hazards
    al my problems are already suuffered by prople here

i suggest every1 here plz dont go for alienware laptops

alienware is so terrible, please dont buy them

yes i forgot to tell
    iam tring to complaint from about a week
    it like smtimes no one picks ..
    much of the tym there line is alwayz busy or watevaa but they alwayz hav sm prob

i cud say that this is the worst dealing in my life

alienware sucks

22nd of Dec, 2008

i ordered a lappy for myself
    i was so joyfull for that when the machine arrived it was scratched, software and screws were missing

i waz so depperesed
    i colled them and asked them to replace me the piece

22nd of Dec, 2008

if there is anyone who cud help us and make us recover from our losses i wud be very greatfull
    plus i wud urge every1 not to bouy alienware

as said by jatin17 alienware sucks

• Ve
      22nd of Dec, 2008

Oh, I think I escaped from a terrible service providing company. Thanks for sharing this information.

• Bl
      22nd of Dec, 2008

lolz...i thought am the only one pissed up with them...i totally agree with u pal...these guys r completely $($&#@&...
    the support is horrible...
    i never recommend there services...completely crap

• Kr
      22nd of Dec, 2008

Alienware and dell are same...thy both are horrible...i've used Dell b4 and after reading this thread, i do not plan to ever use Alienware notebooks or desktops...thx for lets us aware of such useless companies...

22nd of Dec, 2008

I agree with you rockstar on

"i waz so depperesed
    i colled them and asked them to replace me the piece
    they said that they wud send a person bt as expected they dint hell send anybody"

I don't know why the complanies are so irresponsible when shipping the product.

22nd of Dec, 2008

duh...was abt to make such a thread here...
    this company is really pissing me off...my notebooks blew up 'cause of its mobo...now am waiting a replacement since last 2 mnths...&&$$#(_*#@(&% company...NEVER BUY FRM THEM

• Ni
      22nd of Dec, 2008

I am looking to complaint them. They spoke to me only for the first time and they responded saying wait for reply for your complaint mails. No reply for the mail as well as no they are responding for my telephone calls. Is there another way to contact them and get my problem sloved?

22nd of Dec, 2008

Ninja, I think they have decided not to hear you anymore. Even you find anyother way to contact them, they are just gonna ask you to wait for your email's reply. I believe you should have read reviews about them and their service before buying their product.

• Hi
      22nd of Dec, 2008

I was nearly convinced to buy this laptap. Thank God, this is a great escape for me. Anyhow I want to but a new Laptop in few days. Can anyone suggest me a good brand with a good customer support?

23rd of Dec, 2008

I got a similar crap in the form a laptop form Alienware. I tried a lot to change that or atleast to service that through the company, but they are too good to ignore me. Now I am using that laptop as a decorative thing in my room.

• Mi
      23rd of Dec, 2008

I sent my Latop for replacement as its hardware gave lot of trouble before 2 and half months. Still haven't received it. I strongly recommend you NOT to buy Alienware products.

• Pa
      23rd of Dec, 2008

Thanks for the information friends. I will look for some other comany's product.

• Ga
      23rd of Dec, 2008

Hai hitman, i believe you can buy any brand other than alienware. I hope sony vaio is good. But before buying, better read lot of reviews to avoid risks.

Hai vasishta,

I really feel sorry for your brother. You should have saved him from wasting his money on alienware.

• Uh
      28th of Dec, 2008

well i want to complain here that alienware's support outside of us is sucks big time.
    late late delivery and they don't want responsibility for their own fault.
    certainly for me as a asian customer i don't like their service and delivery at all!!hope the company go to hell

• Al
      28th of Dec, 2008

this is a huge scam waiting to happen.
    For a big company like this i am sure suprised that it didn't bankrupt earlier..
    the recession must have make them neglect their own customer service!!.
    i don't get it on this scamming company selling laptops just second to acer on poor ### laptop reliability..
    i advice people all over the world..don't buy it and even go near it.it is ###..

• Ri

you know what..
    alienware even deducted a charge of unauthorized reason to my credit card when i billed my payment..
    i was so shocked at this and wonder why????the same bs keeps happening time and time again.
    to make matters worse my laptop from alienware broke down after a few days and this sucks ### like hell!!

28th of Dec, 2008

i agree with all these complaints..alienware is worse than robbers.They have a lot of excuse when it comes to complains to the customer service.They never get the job done and this worsens my view on this company.People work hard to get money and pay them for laptops but eventually they never give working machines..all of their stuff tend to break down.

• Cr

people people people..
    time and time again i read about most of these complaints and i get to one conclusion.
    Alienware must be so crap and ### to make they complain here about their problems.
    I undoubtedly agree with this as some time ago i bought one alienware laptop which got broken down and never got repaired because nobody can help me..now i see all these complaints and see why this happen again.shut down alienware once and for all

• La
      28th of Dec, 2008

I own an Alienware Area-51 and have used their laptops. I have talked with customer support and they were extremely helpful for me when a wire came undone during shipping. Also I looked at the screen shot you displayed on the Microsoft forum and these are the issues I found.

You have downloaded utorrent to download torrents.
    You have also downloaded what looks like illegal software, MS Office and Photoshop CS4 all of these do not come with the Alienware and could have malice software attached to them.
    You also have installed a Registry Booster of some sort which could have caused lots of problems, we all know Alienwares come pre-setup with the latest software so you don't have to download them when you get the new PC. So you might have done something to damage the operating systems configuration. Illegal software on your machine can void a warranty oh and you can be charged for theft! So support the people that work hard to make the software and buy it, plus you know it is safe and clean.

I do not work for Alienware, I work for a private corporation as a network engineer. Alienware is a bit high in price but they use good components and they save you the time of having to build it yourself. Apple computers are just as much, a $400.00 machine will not perform as well as one with higher grade parts. I would suggest you reload the entire machine with the recovery software they provide you and then go out and buy the game so that you can see if you still have problems.

29th of Dec, 2008

@LaVaism: you talked trash. You are right that I installed illegal softwares but that was BEFORE I reformat the Vista. should I tell you again and again that I have reformat the Vista for probably about 4-5 times? When I reformat the Vista, I didn't INSTALL ANYTHING, and I tried to run the SP2004 program. Again, another BSOD. BOOM! I even tried to NOT install any driver to make sure it was not driver issue. What a big joke, I still got BSOD when I stressed some RAM through SP2004 program.

Apple works better than Alienware, if you are not a Mac user, you know nothing about them. I invested in a local apple store here and every MacBook that I tested never got this serious problem.

This is not SOFTWARE RELATED, you [censored]. This is obviously their hardware problem. Do you think I know nothing about software? OBVIOUSLY WHEN I SAID I REFORMATTED THE VISTA, it means I was using their recovery disk. I even tried to use another Vista DVD because I was wondering if I got BSOD due to their recovery disk. But still, BSOD again and again.

I have tried everything I can, ran one memory stick at a time, reformatted the Vista with another DVD or with the recovery disk, bla bla bla, uninstall the drivers, and nothing helped me. You must be working with Alienware made a positive comment for a ### company like this one. See the other negative comments, they agreed with me. They proved that Alienware is totally ###.

29th of Dec, 2008

@Lavaism: Oh and one more [censored], you seem tried to accuse that my problem is due to my softwares. As I told above, I keep reformatting the Vista and I didn't install any of the software but I still got BSOD when I tested with GTA IV and SP 2004 program.

Check this blue screen crash after I REFORMATTED THE VISTA USING THE STUPID RECOVERY DISK THEN I RAN SP 2004:

"You might have a bad stick of memory which is common, and might have not caused any problems during the "burn in" process that manufactures go through."

*About this, I don't care about their burn-in process. The other laptops also have their own burn-in process but I never got BSOD when I played games with my VAIO nor heavy programs with MacBook for example. ### you, ### all of you Alienware teams. Congratz for scamming me. I hope during this economy recession your sales will be going down really hard and all of you can go back to Spain, begging for cents. My income is much bigger than this ### laptop, I bought it just because I thought it was cool. But look what I get. This ### is not even worth $1.

29th of Dec, 2008

The solutions which are not working:

1. I talked to Alienware support and they told me to install Vista RealTek Driver and also nVidia GeForce 9800M GT driver for Vista from Alienware.com. I followed every single instruction from them but I still got blue screen crash when I play heavy games.
    2. The another Alienware support told me to reinstall the Vista using another DVD. He suspected the recovery disk has some missing files. I have another Vista DVD, I installed it, and it’s not working either (still got those BSODs)
    3. They told me to run one memory stick at a time. I followed all the instructions provided by Alienware:

Does it work? No. I have switched the memory placement, tried to run one memory stick at a time, all the possible solutions. But still, my laptop gave me blue screen crash.
    4. I installed another Windows DVD, this time 64-bit (not 32-bit). Tried to play GTA IV again, it also gave me another blue screen crash after 1 hour playing it.
    5. I also replaced both memory sticks with another product. It was Kingston DDR2, same model, but the difference is, it was just 1 GB. Although this memory works in my other laptop (VAIO), but when I ran SP 2004, (again) it found an error.

What I think might be the problem:

Motherboard. I ran windows memory diagnostic tool and I found no problem. However, when I ran SP2004:

It always gave me error message only 1 minute after I ran the program (stress some RAM, Large In-place FFTs.) I also have tried to run this program with one memory stick at a time, still gave me the error message. Usually after I got the error message from this program, few minutes later I got another BSOD. Look at page 1, I have tested another RAM (Kingston) to replace both of your memory sticks (Elpida). But it was not working. I still got the error message from SP 2004.

• Sh
      30th of Dec, 2008

well i suggest the american government just ban them for their terrible products and customer service.
    It sure make America look more worser than it is now.

• Op
      30th of Dec, 2008

Alienware is a brand that me and my friends tend to avoid.
    This brand sucks big time especially in our country of Taiwan.
    It is so hard to reach them for complaint and this makes their international appeal so wrong and bogus.

6th of Jan, 2009

i agree about Alienware and have the same problems as above ...I bought a laptop a fortnight back... am having many problems, there are a few scratches and the system is not up to the mark. I am not happy with the laptop its horrible..will not recommend it to any one else

9th of Jan, 2009

I had called the customer care..the people there don't respond.. I feel i have wasted my money...Am fed up...would be better if i purchased some other laptop...I hate Alienware.