Afni Inc. / Collecting on debt past statute of limitations

Just received a collection letter from Afni, Inc. for over $100.00 from Verizon New York for a phone # I did not recognize. I called and I was told that this is a debt from 1994!!! That is over 13 years ago! I told them to stop collections immediately because I cannot prove that I paid this bill without calling all my former banks and possibly paying them money to research months of canceled checks.

I also told them that the statute of limitations has run and they cannot sue me, therefore any further collection attempts would be solely to harass or annoy me.

They tried to tell me that the statute of limitations has run only to report on my credit report, I said, no you cannot sue me either. That was that!

JERKS

Lj

Comments

• Di
      24th of Jan, 2008
    Afni Inc. - Harassment!
    Afni Inc.
    po box 3427
    Bloomington
    Illinois
    Phone: 888 257 1585

I received notice that I owed a bill from 1999 on a phone number that I still have. I asked why no one has contacted me in 8 years and he told me he would send a letter of validation. Whatever that means. What can I do to protect my credit rating... Plz advise smb!

• Ed
      28th of Feb, 2008
    Afni Inc. - Bogus Verizon Bill

This phone # that they said we owed was not ours or never had been. We have had Verizon phones
    and have never been turned down for an outstanding account balance.

• Ju
      4th of May, 2008
    Afni Inc. - past due bill from over 11 years ago
    Afni Inc.
    Bloomington
    Illinois
    Phone: 1-866-307-0283
    www.afnicollections.com

Attempting to collect a debt from over 11 years ago. Inever had a phone with Verizon Florida. I have lived in another state for 11years.This is ridiculous and after 7 years it should not even be happening. According to the credit bureau there should not be any thing like this on my report.

• Je
      18th of Apr, 2009

Uhhh did you by chance even read what the FTC states is the statue of limt. ... i dont thingk you did. The statues protect you from credit repoting of a debt over 7 yrs and taking legal action after 7 yrs... But sorry bud there is no "debt fariy" that makes your debt go away after years you still owe it, companies can still collect on it and contact you about the debt. Any why do you companies have to be able to sue you for you to think you owe a bill thats kind of an odd comment to make for a person who pays their bills dont you thing???

• Yv
      20th of Mar, 2011
    Afni Inc. - billing fraud
    Direct tv
    Washington

Another fraudulent attempt to collect charges for Direct tv. I have had Comcast for 9 years. Thank goodness I checked here before calling, at least they don't have my number. Did someone get Jessi?

• Lj
      17th of Feb, 2014

Jenn55.
    You are an idiot. The statute of limitations in New York, which is never know as a "debt fairy" says that if you sue me for a debt that is over six years old, I can raise an affirmative defense saying: TOO LATE (in simple words for you to understand). If I do that, yes, the lawsuit (and the right to collect the debt) "magically" goes away!
    Also, I DO pay my bills, I explained there would be no way for me to PROVE it because the debt was so old. That is the reason they have that law.
    You sound like a complete ###.