Afni, Inc. / Scam collectors

1 Bloomington, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8663070283

Today is 2/25/2008 and I have just received a bill from Afni stating I owe on an old Verizon account; in the amount of $90.86 and that they will settle for $45.43. This is very intresting because I have never had Verizon.
They have never appeared on past credit reports. So I checked my all my current credit reports and found them listing that I owe them.
Of course I called the number they listed, and yes it was disconnected. I called Verizon and they said that that isn't even one of their numbers! I visited Budd Hibbs and [redacted] on the WWW only to find out that this agency was scamming me.
I E-mailled the BBB, FTC, State attorney generals office and next I am going to file mail fraud with the USPS; and I even paid to do a search on that phone number with no results!
I am really upset about this bogus claim on my credit report and have never had the phone number they claim I had, nor have I ever had a Verizon account. I owe nothing to Verizon or these people and I am not giving them one red cent.
I want an apology from Afni, Inc on their letter head signed by their owners and managers; and I want them off my credit report as well as print outs at their expense of the corrected credit reports.
What gives them the right to steal my identity and make up a bogus bill?
How many more California people have been scammmed by this outfit?
Someone needs to shut these type of rip off artists down and fine them big time.

Comments

• Ba
      1st of Nov, 2007
    Afni, Inc - Scam collections

I received a letter claiming that I owe 284.60 for an old verizon phone bill from 2000. I am going to dispute this charge since all of my bills have been paid in full. I am not sure if this is a scam since I have read other blogs or if this agency is really buying old accounts from verizon to collect on. What I don't understand is why Verizon would wait over 7 years to collect with no attempts of their own. They bought out bell atlantic in 2000 so chances are they would have had audits done at that time. If you receive a similar notice please contact me. I think we should all work together to stop this SCAM!

• Ms
      4th of Jun, 2008

I just received a letter in the mail exactly like the claim above. It is from Bell Atlantic for a total of $127.44 but stating I only owe half - $63.72 if I pay now. I've never had Bell Atlantic as a carrier in my life, and the phone number they list has never been mine.

Can anyone tell me if they can legitimately pursue this claim? Or, is it just to hope you'll pay with no questions asked?

Thank you.