Access America / denial of claim

129 Rawson RoadArlington, MA, United States Review updated:
I bought a airline/hotel package from Cheaptickets and purchased the insurance from Access America. The purpose of the trip was to visit a relative diagnosed with cancer on 8/28 (I bought the trip on the 29) I had to re-schedule my departure date because my relative became terminal and now access america is refusing to reimburse me almost $700 to make this change (I change my departure date to 2 days early) and are stating it is because my relative had a "pre-existing condition"

Cheaptickets and access america are clearly commiting fraud

Comments

Ge
  12th of Feb, 2009
I too got stranded in route from Phoenix with a lay over in Philadelphia. Due to bad weather, the flights were canceled.. and since it was bad weather US Airways was under no obligation to pay for a hotel. After spending an entire day with the airlines, the only way to get home was AMTRAK train. After filing a claim for the additional expenses to get home, access America Denied the claim stating the airlines must have complete cessation of all services for 24 consecutive hours. How bent is that? Us Airways could have done a better job at rerouting customers that day, including me.. but I guess since they are not obligated.. why should they?
Mo
  3rd of May, 2009
I booked a flight online in February 2009 for travel to and from Dallas with hotwire.com . I purchased travel insurance with AccessAmerica. The reason for the trip is that I sued some folks out that way and I had a set court date. The court changed the date at the last minute so the trip was cancelled.

AccessAmerica insurance contract states:
INDIVIDUAL TRAVEL INSURANCE POLICY
Section#:
6. You being required to serve on a jury, served with a
court order or subpoena.

Their response to my claim appeal is pending. They do send a letter reccomending the American Arbitration Association that, for a small fee from me, can arbitrate. LOL. They are messing with the wrong guy!
Fi
  9th of May, 2009
I wish I had done some research on Access America BEFORE buying this insurance during the purchase of my flight! My family is on a work assignment in Germany, I received a phone call that my father had a slight heart attack and made the decision to fly back to the United States. I purchased the insurance in case his health did not improve during the week I was scheduled to be there. Unexpectedly my father went into renal (kidney) failure and passed away. I contacted Access America and told them I would need to extend my trip for funeral arrangements. I was told..."No problem, you'll just need a copy of the death certificate". Upon returning to Germany I sent in the documentation of the death, and expense of the flight change. The company has denied the claim saying that because the death certificate states that he went into kidney failure one week prior to his death, this is considered "A PRE-EXISTING condtition"! The insurance was purchased on the 28th of January, and my father died on the 4th of February, so even with this denial I knew this was 8 days from purchase to death and I figured they would have to cover. Now they are saying that the policy didn't go into effect until the 29th of January so therefore WAS within the one week period. What a Joke! I can't believe a company is allowed to operate so "SHADILY" in our country! And what are these airline companies doing using these UNRELIABLE company's within thier websites???? This is not over.
Ju
  5th of Feb, 2010
I've already complained to:

1. Attorney General Office in Virginia because the company is based in Richmond.
2. The California Insurance Bureau (that's where I'm based).
3. The Better Business Bureau

There is only one way to deal with these companies -- which is to take action. I cannot tolerate companies that take advantage of people in tragic times. Please take action as well. Maybe collective we can stop this from happening again.
Ka
  9th of Mar, 2010
This company is a fraud. Orbitz and Cheaptickets.com and Hotwire need to drop them before they ruin them. I purchased a ticket for international travel and was asked to purchase insurance by orbitz. due to the price of the flight $1200 I decided to purchase it for my family. But a month later, my wife was confirmed pregnant. Upon subsequent visit to the doctor she was told not to go to the trip because of history of pre-eclampsia.
So I canceled her ticket and applied for a claim with Access America. It was denied because pregnancy was not covered. They only pay if something happen to the pregnancy during the trip. so, if my wife decided to go and looses the pregnancy then she be covered, but if she takes preventative measures and follow the doctors recommendation not to go because she risks complications, then it would not be covered. This is unacceptable.
I filled an appeal and waiting to see how it goes. But I am looking to take it all the way to court if need be. Any advice will be appreciated.

Access America Transport Inc. Logo Access America Transport Inc.
Overall Satisfaction Rating