Abe's of Maine / unauthorized charges

This store has stolen from us - and their salesmen are pushy, shifty and underhanded. I placed an order for a new TV on 10/17/2008 at 4:28 p.m. CDT. I then had a question and called them, only to hear a recording stating that they are only open four days a week and a half-day on Fridays. I canceled my order immediately (4:55 p.m. CDT).

The following Monday, 10/19/2008 (11:20 a.m. CDT), I received an email from Adi Reed with Abe's confirming the cancellation. My bank card was not charged at that point. Then, a pushy salesman with Abe's named Larry called several times during the week and left messages for me. I did not call him back because I purchased the TV from another merchant.

On October 24, Larry went into their system and created a whole new order (new order number and everything) and charged my card $1, 547.18 without my knowledge or consent! This caused my bank account to be overdrawn by over $1, 000 and has caused severe financial hardship, not to mention several hundred dollars in overdraft charges. Because this credit card is linked to my checking account, I will be charged $35 for each and every overdraft. So far, the bank is already going to charge $325.00. More is sure to follow. The bank has not posted these charges, but they will do so tonight.

I intend to pursue this to the fullest extent of the law. I believe that this Larry at Abe's of Maine knowingly, and maliciously, processed this charge in spite of the fact that I had clearly canceled the order.

I am disabled and we don't have a lot of money, and $1, 500 is a lot to us. It appears (to me) that Larry got frustrated/angry because I didn't return his phone calls and subject myself to his high pressure sales tactics. Well, they are going to regret this. Because of my disability, I have nothing else to do all day, so I am going to pursue this along every legal and public avenue I can.

I have one last thing to say directly to those at Abe's of Maine:

I hope you read this, and I hope you give long and serious thought to the direction you're headed in this economy. Many businesses selling luxury items like electronics are going to fail, starting with the crooks who took advantage when times were good. Businesses that treat their customers like you have treated yours will soon become and endanged species. You'd better get rid of thugs that deceive and rip off customers and treat your customers better. If your head is still in the sand after reading this, then you ought to surf on over to your local Better Business Bureau's website and read about your unsatisfactory history. Unfortunately for myself, I wish I would have done so before trying to purchase something from you.

Va

Comments

• Al
      21st of Jan, 2009
    Abe's of Maine - Bad service
    Abe's of Maine
    abesofmaine.com

Very, very satisfied. Product that I wanted, in a large order, were all on available on the site and had the best prices. Salesman (Peter) was really knowledgible and nice. I paid for 4-6 day shipping and received my complete order the next day. They have a customer for life.

• Ri
      9th of Jul, 2013

I had the same type of experience with Abes. The same lying and high pressure up sale tactics. I also dealt with Larry, but went to another salesperson who was even worse. I finally got to Teddy who was nicer but did the same high pressure sell. Saying the shipping was free on my TV but I was required to buy insurance because he guaranteed the tv would be broken when it arrived. He convinced me to upgrade the shipping on the larger of the 2 tv's I purchased so it would not come "broken". He also pressured me to buy the warranty and knowing that I needed the tv's soon and their reputation for not shipping unless you cave in to the sales pitch, so I bought the warranty to get my tv's quickly. After a week and several calls they finally admitted the tv's were not shipped but would be soon. I told them I wanted to cancel the order but the supervisor called me right back and said he could send out the smaller tv from a different vendor (which I found out was Amazon and was $145 cheaper there). He shipped that one, but I found out he did so just to lock me into a package deal. After another week and no shipping notice I called again and the same supervisor (Jason) said he ship out the larger tv because he fired his trucking company and had to find one that would ship to me. I tried several times to cancel my order and was bullied repeatedly. He finally "offered" to charge me an additional $75 on top of the $150 I already paid for shipping to ship the tv at today's current price (which had gone down). I finally convinced him to cancel the order, but now he refused to credit me for the shipping that I never used on the larger tv. He instead offered me restaurant gift cards. I told him I was calling my credit card company to cancel the order. He again tried to intimidate me into not calling them, finally saying he would win a claim for the shipping charges. I called my cc company and they took care of me. I dealt with at least 4 different employees at Abes and each one lied to me about the status of my order and used high pressure lies to upsell me. These guys are as crooked as they come. Stay away form them!