24 Hour Fitness / dues increase???

CA, United States Review updated:

I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness for nearly 20 years. I even worked for them in the late 1990's & early 2000's. By working for them I knew the service agreements like the back of my hand. Every section and every clause...

This month, I was balancing my account and noticed... my 24 Hour Fitness dues were increased?!? I was like... hold on, I know my contract did not allow for a dues increase nor did it give 24 Hour Fitness the right to raise my dues.

I called the club I go to and the worker told me they sent me a letter last month notifing me of the increase and 24 Hour Fitness's agreements reserve the right to increase dues... yadda yadda yadda. She confirmed my address on file and I did not recieve a letter. I am also signed up via their e-mail system... and didnt get an e-mail either.

I tried to explain that I knew my agreement front back and side to side as I worked for the company and it does not allow a dues increase and I know the agreements have changed 3 times since I have worked for them.

Long story short... I asked for a copy of my original agreement/contract and the worker stated, I can send you our current agreement. I explained I didnt want the current one as I signed and agreed to a different one... she placed me on hold and when she came back she said she would try and request it but it would cost me $20.00 and she doubted they could get me the original copy as 24 Hour Fitness has basically closed their corporate offices in Southern California and moved everything to Asia to save money.

The increase is not that large... but its the principle. Not to mention if they increased my dues... they have or will increase the other 5 million + members which easily adds hundreds of millions to their company...
Is this legal? Can they do this? I dont want to cancel my membership as the club is 2 blocks from my house... and I know the local workers can not do anything...
What if anything can I do??????

Comments

• Me
      5th of Jun, 2008
    24 Hour Fitness - Loud music!
    None
    1895 N. Grand Oaks Ave
    Altadena
    Phone: 626-798-3336

My wife and work out regularly at . The address is 525 East Colorado Blvd in Pasadena, CA. My wife is deaf in one ear and she cannot hear her trainer speaking because the music is being played, too loud.
    Complaints to the Manager are worthless, he refuses to turn the music down.
    Hopefully you can do something so solve this problem for all of the clients at this 24 hr Fittness.
    Yours truly,
    Mel Kirksey

• De
      4th of Jan, 2009
    24 Hour Fitness - DECRIMMNATION
    24 HOUR FITNESS
    Compton
    California

THE MANAGMNET STAFF AS WELL AS CORP OFFICE DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO REALLY LOOK INTO PROBLEM THAT HAPPEN WITH THE STAFF. THEN YOU HAVE A CLUB MANAEGR THAT DO NOT LIKE BLACK PEOPLE.

• Mi
      22nd of Jun, 2009

Well thats kind of the reverse to what ive experienced, the 24 hour fitness near my house is cut right out for you matey, its white people who arnt liked at this location.

• Es
      30th of Jul, 2009
    24 Hour Fitness - TERIMNATED
    24 hour fitness
    Huntington Beach
    California

I was terminated for not paying my renewal of $36.00, However I did pay it and they gave me a recept for the year 1998 insted of 2008. I should them the reciept and they told me there is nothing they can do about it. I told them I've been a member since 1985 how can they do such a STUPID thing as giving me the wrong reciept.There answer was "my Fault for not checking" Now they want me to pay $499.00 to rejoin

• Ju
      11th of Aug, 2009

This place is terrible! I have been a member for 10 years and I had a simular problem. They failed to notify me when I was past due and when I went int to pay my dues they said my membership was terminated and they assumed I didnt want my membership. I only pay 50.00 per year and all they wanted to do was have me sign up for a more exspensive membership. I was also told by the manager that its not worth it for them to contact me because they dont make enough money off me. They dont care for thier members they just want to rip you off!

13th of Aug, 2009

I have been a member for over ten years on a joint membership with my fiance. The pymt was for $34 a month for both of us for unlimited access to all their clubs. They were taking the pymts automatically, but when my husband lost his atm card and the number changed they could no longer charge the account. They had a rep call for the pymt; my husband gave his new account info. However, they only made the pymt on his membership and cancelled mine. At first I was told to call the facility we started our membership at to discuss the problem, they were no help they wanted me to pay $47 a month for a new membership with all the associated fees. No way, so I called customer service 3 to 4 times until I spoke to a rep that researched the issue and realized that the mistake was on them. So, I was offered my membership back at $17 a month, Had to sign a new contract and agree to back pay the months I missed, but $17 is way better than $47 a month. So, be persistent and speak to someone who likes their job and you should get the results you want.

17th of Aug, 2009
    24 Hour Fitness - the rude staff
    24 hour fitness
    Walnut
    California

there is a rude woman that workss there
    she wouldnt let my friend hu tried to use a 7 day free pass
    she wouldnt let him because his mom was not there
    but he got in the day before

and another time i went to get a yoga ticket then i lost it and the class was full
    so she wouldnt give me another one
    but clearly it wasnt full because i lost my ticket so therefore the class was not full

• Hm
      29th of Aug, 2009

Julie Ann, the exact same thing happened to me recently. I wasn't notified that my payment of $49.99 was due after 3 years and they terminated me. After several calls to corporate headquarters and the gym I joined at, there is "nothing they can do for me". Each time I called anyone, it took them several days to a week or more to get back to me. I would never recommend this gym to anyone. I am now 35 and was a member of 24-hour fitness on and off from the time I was 18. I joined at a Supersport and the amount we paid is almost 3 times the amount they are charging now for 3 years. Such a disappointing organization.

• Db
      8th of Sep, 2009

To all with this problem, I have a similar situation and I am trying to get a class action lawsuit started. If enough people post their case on www.sueeasy.com it can possibly be picked up by a participating law firm. My post can be found through the following link:

• Mr
      26th of Sep, 2010

My dues went up 8 dollars. I've been a member since 2004, and there was never any form of communication from 24 hour fitness stating the increase, although I have moved twice in the last 6 years and its possible that they sent it to an older address. I'm sure that there are at least thousands of others in the same situation, I'd be willing to be involved in a class-action lawsuit against 24 hour fitness to fix this problem.

• Me
      27th of Dec, 2011
    24 Hour Fitness - I'll never go to them again
    24 Hour Fitness

I lost my credit card and 24 hour fitness contacted me requesting me to pay my late payment. The person was very rude, and I decided to cancel my membership. She told me she was going to charge me a penalty for canceling. I asked to speak with her supervisor and her supervisor told me the same thing...

I'll never go to them again! I can't believe i was paying them over $400.00 USD per month!

• Co
      3rd of Apr, 2012

1. Your friend needs to purchase a membership, nothing is free.
    2. Read back the second portion of your complaint regarding your reservation...there are only a limited number of spots...class was full+you lost your ticket:::::::there are no tickets left. (Common Sense)

5th of Jun, 2013
    24 Hour Fitness - Dirty unhealthy
    Burbank ca 24 hr fitness
    Burbank

Have security going in and out in Mens locker room not women's . I feel it's discrimination also place is always dirt . Free towels are nasty . People in pool with t shirts on . Fans by treadmill are caked with dust no soap in showers .

• Br
      15th of Sep, 2013

24 Hour Fitness is a scam operation. They will do anything to cheat their members and their employees out of anything they can. The best way to beat any dues increase is to cancel your membership. They spell out in their contracts, in very fine print, that they reserve the right to raise dues up to 5% at regular intervals. Even if you try to beat their dues increases by buying a prepaid membership, they will raise the cost of a prepaid membership when yours expires and you want to renew. In their defense, all the major gym chains do this and there really are few options when it comes to getting a good long-term deal at a gym anymore.

• Ap
      2nd of May, 2015

I had the exact same thing happen to me--my increase was absolutely ridiculous! My initial annual renewal amount was $49 for the first five renewal years, but starting this year, they increased it to $99! That's over a 100% increase! Outrageous.

• Jd
      6th of May, 2015

If there is any mention in your contract about rate increases, then you are stuck. However, I know they have fine print saying they have the right to annual increases. If no one can produce a copy of the contract with your signature, then it is a he said, she said game likely with you losing. This is a large chain and they probably have iron clad agreements in each and every state/country drafted by state and national level attorneys. Best advice I can give is bite the bullet and continue to go. In the long run its probably not worth cancelling over a few dollars each month. Most gyms or large corporations can get away some disclaimer in their agreement saying something to the effect of: "we reserve to right to change the original contractual agreement in part or total with proper notice ... blah blah". If you are real upset it about, then I suggest you consult with an attorney who knows the laws of your state and whether lack of notice is sufficient support to warrant an increase given that you nor 24HF can produce a signed copy. Either way, your rights are governed by that contract you signed. One other thing to note is that the copy you signed must also contain certain language and font size for it to even be a legitimate contract in the eyes of the law. Check out your state health spa act laws for more guidance on that matter. Good luck.

20th of May, 2015

24 Hour Fitness just increased my monthly dues by $3. They did not communicate the change in any way, shape or form. I've lived at the same address for 7 years. I called them and was informed that they reserve the right to increase dues from time to time. She said it was an increase for all members and mine is low. I've had more gym memberships than I can count in the last 25 years and I have never seen anything like this. No notification of a price increase and just automatically charging it to my credit card? That's a business practice that's likely to come back and haunt them. Their contract is not in my file. I only have a receipt for my initiation fees. I'm wondering if they ever gave me a contract. I'm sure it's somewhere in their fine print; however it doesn't absolve them of responsibility to notify members so they can decide if they want to pay it or not. Major thumbs down to 24 Hour Fitness for poor business practices. Their dues are fairly overpriced as it is. I'm likely to dump them soon because I don't care for this treatment and I don't need them. I have another membership somewhere else.

• Dc
      20th of May, 2015

I also recently saw an increase except my dues went from 69 a year to 169... a $100 dollar increase? The representative I spoke with said it's a blanket increase of $50 for Sport users and $100 for Super Sport access...which I do NOT believe at all. I feel like this must be a ploy to increase users who have old agreements with very low renewal rates. I definitely agree about this - they have reserved that right in fine print but where does it end...they technically can increase my dues every year by an arbitrary amount?

• To
      26th of May, 2015

my membership was $53 and it increased to $161? How in the world did they just increase over $100? Can i still call them and complaint since they said they only supposed to increase $100 for all club super sport account?

• Ri
      28th of May, 2015

Another data point: my annual fee for all Sport increased this year from $49 to $99, as did my wife's.

• 24
      28th of May, 2015

Been at the $49/year "For Life" annual rate and just received in mail notice that it is now going to $99/year. So they can "better serve" me -- with what? Constantly running down equipment, broken spa, dirty pool, crappy trainers...I wouldn't be as upset if the money wasn't just going straight to increase bottom line and fill pockets with cash.

• As
      31st of May, 2015

I worked out at 24 hour nautilius then a membership at 24 hourfitness since the early 90s I feel like they don't appreciate the only reson there is a 24 hourfitness is because of us the loyal members why would a good company go up not 100% over night and when you purchase the membership you where told it would never go up... $49 up to $99 no notifications just a new bill amount and the club isn't going to get better I'm just going to have to pay more F-N BS

• Ku
      15th of Jun, 2015

For the rate increase, I was told verbally in Dallas tx 50 for life, now increased like others. Cannot find orignal contract, does any body have a contract from the early 2000's where it stated that it can go up? Im told a private equity firm bought out the company and they are raising fees, to invest in clubs they see fit.

• Mi
      22nd of Jun, 2015

I'm on the same boat. Signed up with the "pay 3yrs in advance ($600) and your dues will be $10/yr for the rest of your life " in early 2000 and now I got a letter saying they need to increase it to $240/yr. 100% increase? Seriously?
    And they want the due in July, when I just paid my membership in March!
    I want to know if anyone had success in stopping the increase?

• Un
      23rd of Jun, 2015

Same issue here. Told renewal price of 49 dollars after I prepaid $700 plus, now telling me they are raising it to 149.00. I was there for them when they needed the cash flow. A total bait and switch scam.
    They say whatever it takes to get your money, then
    give you their sad story as to why they raised your fees. I feel totally cheated by 24 hour fitness.

• Om
      25th of Jun, 2015

I was surprised today to find out that my due increased from $49 to $99 after I prepaid $700 plus in 2006. I was a member since 2002. In the agreement it supposed to be $49 annually after 3 years. I am sure there something in the contract that allow them to increased the dues, however the location (Northridge, CA) I currently go to is filthy. Hopefully this $50 increase will go to improvement of equipment maintenance and keeping the gym cleaner. I will post results on yelp and google+ nightly.

• Ru
      6th of Jul, 2015

Membership due increased without any notice. Checked my bank statement and 24hr Fitness increased my monthly bill of $20 to $30. Did not receive an email or letter mentioning the increase.

• Bo
      6th of Jul, 2015

I have been a member of 24 hour for about 7 years and my annual fee was $99 dollars i signed a contract and they said my fee was going to be that for life if I continued my membership throughout the years. I was happy only $99 a year great value...I went in to pay my annual fee and it stated I now have to pay $149 a year I called and they gave me the same crap about upkeep for equipment and pool and spa and everything else they provide. This S...s!! They already had replaced the equipment about a 1 1/2 years ago.. i think it has to do with the water consumption and the trainers fees. This really s...s ...I am undecided about rejoining .. if they keep increasing their membership fees it might be more lucrative to go somewhere else or even buy the memberships from Costco if the prices keep increasing...Society looks down on unhealthy people but how can we be healthy when it cost so much to work out...and eat healthy...this is ridiculous...

• Ha
      7th of Jul, 2015

I'm on the same boat with $49 to $99. I spoke to two Member Service reps this morning...Wil and Cecil. They pretty much don't give a crap about the increase. They actually bragged about how they get free membership. They know we will not be able to leave the club since it's still cheaper that what I can get at other clubs. We paid high down payments to assure us that we will have very low annual membership fees for the rest of our lives. If they increase our membership fees now, then there was no point in paying the high down payment. Is there a class action lawsuit for this? They don't want to make the facilities better for the members. They just want to increase profit. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!!

• Bi
      22nd of Jul, 2015

I have been member since 2006. I just got a letter by email informing same thing will happen to me! My initial annual renewal amount was $49 for the first five renewal years, but starting next year, they will increase it to $99 - over 100% increase! Here is the letter:
    Subject: Membership Notification - Annual Renewal
    Content: Dear Allen,
    Thank you for being a loyal 24 Hour Fitness member. We're committed to providing you with the best possible fitness experience at a great value—with clean, friendly, well–maintained clubs.
    To ensure we're able to continue to offer you a comprehensive approach to health and fitness, it has become necessary to increase your annual renewal amount.
    With member benefits such as our health and fitness consultation*, group exercise classes**, a wide variety of strength, cardio and functional equipment and our free digital magazine, 24Life™, we will continue to deliver the best value for your membership.
    To review your latest membership billing statement, please visit us online at My24 or call 866.726.4497 to make payments. Please be sure to have your member number or 10-digit check-in code available. You can also update your contact information, view your club visits, and learn more about all that 24 Hour Fitness has to offer.
    Thanks again for your continued membership with 24 Hour Fitness.
    Your 24 Hour Fitness Team

26th of Jul, 2015

My fees went up more that $50 for an annual contract. My neighbor said his fees went up $45. I looked at my contract.
    In my contract, under 3(c) in the Right to Increase Dues section, it says"The increase will be calculated at not more than three percent (3%) of your then current monthly dues."
    Mine went up way more than 3%. Can they do that??

29th of Jul, 2015

I am going through the same got off the phone about how they need it but I can understand them doing this to new members but for their loyal members get out of here shouldn't they give us a promotion for being a member for over 10 years. I paid $500 for 3 years and $53 for the years after. What gives they didn't notify me about the increase and just add it to my bill with out any kind of notification at all.

• Br
      29th of Jul, 2015

I haven't had this increase... yet. But my buddy also got his annual fees increased with the same contract.

We should start a petition on https://www.change.org/ to make some noise.

• Jj
      3rd of Aug, 2015

It's frustrating to deal with a company that is obviously trying to rip off their customers based on the fine print written to take advantage of people. Their salespeople are lying in order to make a quick sale, informing people that they will have a once a year lifetime membership due, to increase that membership 300% overnight with the possibility of being able to do that every year, because "they reserve that right" in their contract. In the long run, they will lose, because they will lose more people then the money they think their gaining.

• Ca
      10th of Aug, 2015

Mine went up from $29 to $79 with no advance notice after paying 3 years in advance and can't find my original contract. I was looking on here for an answer to all these complaints.

• Ba
      10th of Aug, 2015

I too, have received the same letter of increase from the lifetime membership of $49 a year to $99 a year when I was promised that the $49 and all club access for life. I believe most people are just paying the increase but we need to all complain and do more. Not to 24 hour fitness, nothing will be resolved that way. A simple thing everyone can do is write their complaints on the BBB (better business bureau) website or even office of consumer protection. BBB has a pretty easy straightforward way to write a complaint and have a response directly from 24 hour fitness as the BBB acts as a mediator. Best of all it's free. We all need to do something or nobody will know of how we were all wronged. I haven't heard of any recent class action lawsuits on this so we all need to do our part nationwide.

• Kh
      31st of Aug, 2015

File a complaint at the BBB:

It's on the right hand side

• Gh
      14th of Sep, 2015

I too received a bill with the increase to $79 annual renewal fees. I had for over 15 years paid $29 annual renewal fees which I thought was a lifetime agreement. I cannot locate my original contract to evaluate the terms. Does anyone have a copy of the 15 year old contract? I will pay the increase because I do not want to risk termination; I think this is wrong, but can we prove it?
    I will file my complaint with the BBB.

• Da
      14th of Sep, 2015

You can file a complain thru the CFPB, consumer finance protection bureau ...their sole and only job is protecting consumers from corporate contract and financial protection! Their only income is by fining companies, so they Really take it seriously!

Please file ! They will want a copy of your original contract...I've filed as it happened to my wife as well. Only when you do NOTHING do THEY WIN

15th of Sep, 2015

Does anyone have the original contract? i'm trying to locate mines but no luck yet. I want to see if the original contract states anything about annual raise. or was it for life at $49. if it does't states anything about it, im sure there will be a class action law suit.