1800SkyRide.com

Posted:

Buyer beware of hot air balloon rides!

4.6
These guys are only booking agents, and shady ones. Booked a balloon ride for my husband as a surprise for his birthday. I am certain they had been given notice the provider they booked was not available. Every time you call you are given the run around, put on hold, disconnected. This is after they take your money of course. This is the letter I sent today. I called back at 5:00, as instructed, because that would be the only time a manager would be there, and just got vmail, and not his. Nice!

*******************************************************
Re: 1800SkyRide.com

I am extremely unsatisfied, disappointed, and frankly appalled by the level of customer disservice provided which is further exacerbated by having to sit on hold every time I call in and listen to the same recording about your commitment to providing the best possible service and how my satisfaction is your primary concern.

I was told, only today, that the provider you all booked my trip with was unavailable since he had broken his hip. The only reason I booked with you all was because of the location you went from and I had already contacted Daryl (at balloons over Georgia) directly and found out he had broken his hip. Daryl’s wife told me on 6/6/06 that he had broken his hip. But yet you all were more than happy to take my $500 on 6/22 for that same trip and not even tell me until 7/17 and only because I called.

Here’s the series:

Trip booked with Andre on 6/22 and credit card charged. Received no confirmation email. I understood from Andre at the time that someone would be calling in the next few days to confirm and would also be contacting me 24-48 hours prior.

No one contacted me so I called back on 6/28 and asked for a contact # for the actual provider. This is a surprise for my husband’s birthday and I wanted to schedule some other things around it so I needed some specifics. After spending forever having to justify the outrageous demand to actually speak to the provider of service, I was put on hold forever listening to your concern for my satisfaction and then was disconnected, but got the confirmation email.

Called back today and tried again which is when Tammy was honorable enough to level with me re: what was really going on.

I consider this to be unethical and fraud. You have totally ruined my husband’s birthday.

And now to top it off I have to wait until 5:00 to talk to a manager and plus have to type up an email to get a refund!!! Either change your recording or get honest about your concern for my customer satisfaction.

Please let me know when today I can expect to see this credit show.
Complaint comments Comments (36) Complaint country United States Complaint category Entertainment

Comments

A  13th of Nov, 2006 by    0 Votes
Yes, these guys are dishonest. They have a history of fraud and deception. Someone needs to sue them. They have hundreds of sites for most states, like hawaiiballooning.com - there are no balloons in hawaii!!!

This page has a lot of info on them:

Hope you got your refund!
A  21st of Nov, 2006 by    0 Votes
BEWARE of 1800SKYRIDE, this 'company' is THE WORST!!!! STAY FAR AWAY !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They lure you in, take your money then after you set-up your fly date, THEY NEVER CALL YOU TO CONFIRM, YOU NEVER RIDE AND THEY KEEP YOUR MONEY!
WE FINALLY were able to get partial refund but, that to me is NOT ENOUGH!!! I have letters going to the Chicago Tribune and the BBB about them...PLEASE, STAY AWAY FROM THESE SCAMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the 'communication' I had with them, after COUNTLESS phone conversations...

NOTE FROM 1800SKYRIDE TO ME
8-4-06
CustomerService@1800skyride.com
Stephanie, I am sorry for the inconvenience, just to go over somethings with you. The balloon ride really is nonrefundable we could have change to another event or sent you out a gc certificate, I understand you were promised a full refund, I will honor this refund minus the 25% admin fee that we will not refund, If you look on the web under terms and conditions you understand the 25% policy.

NOTES FROM ME TO 1800SKYRIDE
7-29-06

Just another documented note to you asking to respond to our refund request due to the fact that we still haven't had the 'hot air balloon ride'...

The ride was 'overbooked' so, per 'Ryan', we were told that we were rescheduled for July 16th (today) and no one called, left a vm or emailed us to confirm or cancel or 'reschedule' this ride. After speaking to multiple people (Ryan, Carla, Chris) Chris just informed us that you will be refunding our money.
Please inform us a.s.a.p. when the money will be deposited back into our accounts.

The rides were for:
'NAMES REMOVED' (1 ride)
'NAMES REMOVED' (2 rides)

7-22-06
Still haven't received a response and our credit cards have not yet been refunded the money, please advise.

"You can't scare me, I have a 2 year old."
Stephanie
A  14th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
Call your credit card company and tell them services were not rendered and you want a chargeback to the merchant.

CC companies usually side with cust0mers.

Next time ask for "N" numbers of their balloons. This is the FAA registration number and in the USA will begin with an N. It will give you an idea as to how legit the operator is. You can find out who the owners are and you can even look up their accident record (if any) with it. If they don't own any balloons, run, don't walk away.

Frank
A  12th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
I worked for 1800SkyRide, and you are absolutely correct. This business is just trying to get money from you as soon as possible and they completely slack on giving you what you paid for. It's unfortunate, but true. DON'T BUY ANYTHING from 1800SkyRide.
A  9th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
I was ripped off also by 1-800-Sky-Ride. I got a gift cert for a Warbird ride from my girlfriend back in 2005. I tried at least 6 times to redeem it and they kept putting me off and putting me off. It's now 2007 and my cert is about to expire. I called for a refund and they declined. My g/f lost $220 to these thieves and I'd never do business with them - ever.

1-800-Sky-Ride.com is DESIGNED to RIP You Off! They sell you whatever you want THEN push you off until your cert expires. Stay away from them....
N  8th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes

1800SkyRide.com - Beware this is SCAM!

This company is a scam. You will book a hot air balloon ride, hang gliding, skydiving, etc. and they will charge your credit card the same day but you never get what you paid for. I was going to have a hot air balloon ride in Little Rock, Arkansas, for my 40th birthday and after making reservations and paying I was awaiting their vendor in Arkansas to contact me and they never did. I called and emailed the company several times and was told they are scheduling it now and would call me back or that they hadn't reached my reservation date yet or simply that they do not have any vendors in Arkansas! I was able to find out some facts that I would like to share with the public. This company is based in Smyrna, Georgia, showing an address of 3240 S Cobb Drive St, Suite X, Smyrna, GA 30080, and their fax number is 770-405-1048. I have filed a complaint with the Atlanta Better Business Bureau as well as the Federal Trade Commission. I have also reported this company to my credit card company as fraud. Please note this company goes by numerous names such as: 1800SkyRide.com; soaringsports.com; nevadaskydiving.com; Skydivingamerica.com; skydivegrandrapids and there are many more.
A  11th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
I booked a hot air balloon ride for my wife and I on 4-11-05 for our 5 year anniversary. It is now 4-11-07 and we still have not taken our balloon ride. I have tried to contact this, sorry good for nothing, company well over 100 times to try to take our ride and keep getting the run around. I called the HELP desk #(what a joke) and tried to get a refund but I am put on hold for 20-30 minutes every time I call. No balloonist in our area will take skyride customers anymore, so that means we are out of $400. This is worst company I have ever dealt with. I would never advise anyone to use this company for any of your adventures, unless you like flushing your money down the drain.

Has anyone ever gotten a refund from this company, and if so how did you do it? Please e-mail me and let me know thanks.
A  12th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
1800SkyRide.com stole over $600 from me! I don't know who to go to or what to do, if anyone has any advice, please help!
A  12th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
Tell me how to get involved with your complaint, 1800SkyRide.com got over $600 from me and I would like not only the money back, but this company stopped, I've contacted the news station in my area and am not stopping there, so any advice would help, thank you.
A  29th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
I also have gotten ripped off by 1800SKYRIDE. I had made a reservation for six for a hot air balloon ride . This was reservation was made in January for May 6, 2007 for San Antonio. Guess what- this was never going to be a hot air balloon ride. There is no pilot!! I have called and emailed and all I am getting is the round around. I have just found this website tonight and couldn't believe all the complaints against 1800SKYRIDE. It makes you sick. I spoke with Ryan yesterday and today and he gave me all kinds of excuses. I would like to get a full refund.
A  29th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
I am having the same trouble with these idiots!! After trying my hardest to get a refund from the company, I concluded they were frauds, I found out after the fact that I was right, by looking on websites such as this one. If only I had looked this up sooner!! I have already tried getting my money back through my bank and I am currently waiting on their response. I have contacted my local news, and I was about to contact the Better fussiness Bureau, but after discovering the 200 and something complaints filed against them... I knew it wouldn't be any use. Instead I am filing with the Govorner's Office of Consumer Affairs in Atlanta, GA... which I hope does something, because if not... I will find a way to get my money back and put these jerks out of business!! Who's with me?
A  29th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
I completely understand where you are coming from... but Ryan and whoever else you will talk to will not do anything for you... I guarantee it!! Maybe if we all got together and some how sent a mass email or a letter to a news station so we can get them EXPOSED... that's the only thing I can think of... any other suggestions? I have tried everything and my local news station said if it wasn't a local issue and if there isn't more than one person involved in the area they can't do anything about it. So, my next step... I'm working right now on sending in all of the info on these ### to the Governor's Office of Internal Affairs in Atlanta, GA and I am also going to check up on Dateline NBC... but I am open to any suggestions and anyone else who is willing to put these guys in their place and get us our money back!!!! Please email me if you do!!
D  8th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
I couldn't agree with you guys more!!! These people are true ###, who prevent you from handling things in a mature and business fashion, because by the time you finally get a live voice on the phone in order to TRY and get some sort of response, you are so totally pissed that all you wanna do is cuss someone out! Obviously, the only customers they care about are the ones that haven't paid yet!!! As far as there recording that plays in the background while you are on hold, oh my God, I don't think anything pisses me off anymore than being 30 seconds into the 12th minute on hold , and hearing that crap!!!

Donica
A  13th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have a similar story as well. Wife tries to get me a Warbird ride (a late 30th birthday gift we put off until this spring), through ThrillPlanet.com. We are told there is a local facility that does this, and choose a date. They charge our card $250 on 5/11. The day of the ride arrives (5/19), but we never got confirmation. We call, and are told they couldn't contact the local facility. They offer to reschedule or give us a gift certificate. We decline and ask for a refund. Not hearing anything, I call on 6/4 and am told I need to send an email confirming my refund request, to none other than 1800skyride.com. So, Thrillplanet is yet another of their "front" sites. Today, 6/13, my refund is still pending approval and that's all they can tell me. I think I may have to see what my dispute options with the credit card company are. I always get to speak to someone at 1800skyride with 10 minutes or so when I call, but the usually friendly reps seem powerless to do anything beyond attempt to take your money.
N  30th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes

1800SkyRide.com - Never get call back, want book a flight that has been paid for

I was given a gift certificate for 750.00 dollars for a plane ride and the company won't call back to book the flight. This has been going on for a months.
D  20th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have to say that I had a good time using these guys and liked what 1-800skyride did for us. Just a positive note.
A  21st of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On July 5th (Thursday) I called 1800skyride to reserve a hot air balloon ride for my boyfriend's birthday which seems to be the same story like Melissa's. I spoke with Andre (ext 1719) and I asked him if there were any balloon rides open soon for a birthday occasion. He than said he would and would call me back. Andre called me back the same day and stated there only one available opening for the summer and was for July 14th. I told him clearly I will ONLY authorize the charge if it was CONFIRMED for July 14th. On July 6th (Friday) I missed a call from Anna stating my flight for July 7th will not take place due to weather conditions. I than tired to call back and no one answered. I called back on Monday July 9th stating my flight was suppose to be confirmed for July 14th to Anna (800)372-1254. She stated well it was scheduled for July 7th and there were no openings for July 14th and would call me back and did not. I called back once again and spoke with Jill and I told her that my credit card should have NOT been debit because I did not authorized that transaction for July 7th and she said rudely she would submit my issue to the claims department for a refund that would take 15-20 business days. I waited the 15 business days and still did receive any word or refund check. I called back once again and spoke to Michael who was the manager of the claims department and stated he could not find my paperwork and would call me back which he did not do. I than waited for the exact 20 business days and had no response. I called again and now spoke to Eric who told me Michael no longer works for the company and he will be taking care of the issue. I stress to him I wanted my money back (I mean how is it so easy to debit my money and not easy to debit it back!) because they charged my card for a date that was not authorized and I need my money back now. He than assured me he would look into it and would call me back and DID NOT!!! I called back again and he did not answer several times so I left a message and I stated to him the next call they would receive would be from my bank for an unauthorized charge. I spoke to my banker and she stated she needed my dispute in writting and would credit me the funds and dispute the charge with 1800skyride. These people charged the following:

07/06 $404.30 DEBIT CARD PURCHASE 070607
WWWTHRILLPLANETCOM 800-9434025 GA

These people ruined my birthday surprise DO NOT USE THEM!!!! THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND!!!! AND TAKE YOUR MONEY!!!!
A  30th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
I wish I would of found this complaint page sooner. I wanted to do something special for my boyfriends birthday this year, it was his first birthday with me. I searched for hours calling local areas for a hot air balloon pilot and was unable to find anyone or have anyone available for the date I needed. I got desperate and got online and to my lack of luck found 1-800-Skyride. I gave them all my info on Friday Sept. 28, 07 and suposedly booked a flight for the next Monday morning at dawn going out of Reno, Nevada, which is four hours away from where we live. They stated they would send me an e-mail to confirm the transaction and serve as my receipt, and that I would receive a call to let me know of wheather information and directions. That Saturday I called to see how everything was coming and they said they would contact me 24-48 hours before the flight so that they could check the last wheather report. I get down to Reno and call again on Sun they can't give me any information or connect me to anyone. They gave me the pilots number to call, and when I called he said he had been getting calls about this company for about a month and a half. He was a pilot, but he was leaving town and couldn't help us out because he had no record of our flight information. Now I have to wait until Monday morning to call my bank and make sure that I got my refund. My future inlaws that we are staying with near Reno helped us talk to them and let them know due to breach of contract and lack of services they had to refund us the complete amount or we would be taking them to court for tripple the amount. So in the end I have nothing to do for my boyfriends birthday and his firtst birthday with me is ruined. This is not a true company and don't let them scam you.
A  17th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
I agree! I booked a hotair balloon ride in MN for a wedding anniversary am one month into my struggles with ThrillPlanet.com refunds department. It is amazing how identical my experience has been to all previous complaints. Even the names! Michael (the manager) must be fired and rehired on a daily basis :)

Today I filed a complaint of fraudulent activity with my CC company and am hopeful that they will see this as I do.

Thrill planet nearly ruined my anniversary... BEWARE!
N  3rd of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

1800SkyRide.com - Poor service!

1800SkyRide.com is affiliated with Taparu LLC. I purchased skydiving lessons for October 13, for three people, (paid in full in advance) and told the sales representative that October 13 was the only possible date because the wedding was scheduled for the next week-end. Needless to say, when I contacted the jump school, they had no reservations and refused to schedule a jump for that day.

1800SkyRide.com now refuses to respond to me in any way. Richard Crowder (770) 238-2485 indicated that I would be receiving a refund, but now refuses to respond to my phone calls.

Beware people!