Classmates.com / Privacy Matters 123Unauthorized charge to my debit account

After several years of having a free account on Classmates.com, I went ahead and joined as a Gold member since it was pretty cheap. Well, today I noticed a $19.95 dollar hold on my account from a PrivacyM. I looked it up on Google and found that the company was Privacy Matters 123. I had no idea why I was being charged from this company. I hadn't signed up with them. Through further searching I noticed that erroneous Privacy Matters 123 charger were occurring when persons were signing up with certain internet sights, one of them being Classmates.com. I found the Privacy Matter 123 number and called to cancel. They canceled my account and informed that indeed my membership with Classmates.com was what prompted my membership with Privacy. When I called to cancel my Classmates.com membership I was told that I should have had to verify that I wanted a free membership to Privacy Matter 123, and I would have had to sign up for it. I recall my registration for Classmates.com and this did not happen. The woman and Classmates went on to tell me that I should have got an email from Privacy telling me my free trial had ended and they were going to debit my account... I did not get the email. I told the woman and Classmates.com that I think it was a horrible predicament to get their customers into and why would they associate with such and disreputable company? She told me that she had received several complaints from customers over the past few weeks and that the management is aware of the problem.
I would just like to tell everyone to be aware of this company. The charge appears as PrivacyM on your account, and I'm sure they will try and tell you that you did in fact register with them, but I'v convinced they are obtaining credit and debit card numbers fraudulently. If nothing else, it is tricky and unfair business practice.

• Mi
    Michele65 Dec 15, 2009

I agree, my boyfreind signed up with classmates.com and this charged just happened today on our account (privacym). I've also seen many complaints posted on this site about Classmates too. RIP OFF ARTISTS! Well, I immediately had him call our financial institution to have his credit/debit card cancelled. We are filing a dispute form through them as well to try and get our money back (wish us luck). We are also going to complain to the better business bureua.

MY ADVICE... DONT sign up for these websites as they have 3rd party vendors who take your accounts and sign you up without your permission and take all your money from your account. I knew this from the past but didnt think such a well know website as classmates would be so decieving.

Regards, TICKED OFF CONSUMER