Chicago Tribune company logo
Chicago Tribune
reviews & complaints
Chicago Tribune
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

77 complaints
13 resolved 64 unresolved

Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more

Chicago Tribune reviews & complaints 121 - 77

Chicago Tribune complaints 77

R
Nov 23, 2015

Chicago Tribune - sunday chicago tribune newspaper not delivered

I have been receiving the sunday tribune for probably 20 years as of the last 3 sundays no paper called on all three sundays and paper promised to be delivered still no sunday papers.. Get a bunch of crap that they will send a paper in 1 hour. I am paid up until the third week in december and no paper.. I am horrified that the chicago tribune runs business this way... And it really would not hurt have english speaking individuals on the other end of the line... I hope they go out of business..

M

I have the tribune paid up till March 2016 but have not received a paper since November 6th
my normal delivery is Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday...
Tony prom.ises to get the paper delivered...even got rude with me today on the phone..
if you DON'T want to deliver paper here just give ME A FULL REFUND. I can find other News sources.
MaryAnn Sullivan
347 East 1200 North
Chesterton, Indiana 46304

Chicago Tribune - did not receive

Yesterday 10/11/15 several people in our building did not get our Sunday paper. Some did and some didn't. I happened to be one who did not. Our whole wing in our condo was excluded for delivery. I called, and of course it was a automated service, was told I would get a paper within 60-90 minutes. That didn't happen. Called again, recognized that I called before and that the paper would be delivered in 60-90 minutes. And of course that didn't happen. Called back again, and was to be transferred, but no representatives were available and was told to call back today. What good would that be when I wanted my Sunday paper. There were 3 of us in my wing that did not receive their paper. I am at work so I didn't have the opportunity to call back so I am complaining about this service. Kindly credit my account for the missed paper and get a delivery person who knows what they are doing.

Chicago Tribune - delivery issue no papers

Chicago tribune delivery service is a gamble, sometime you may get it or not. Even calling for redelivery you might as well be talking to a wall. worst part is the wasted time calling and following up for redelivery. Then they offer you a refund that is less than what you have to pay at your local store. Customer service calls and ask if you want to subscribe to their on-line service I have already cut back on our subscription service to 4 days from 7 days and feel I should just drop it completely and find a more dependable paper. You also can never get someone with authority to call you back about on going issues

C
Sep 24, 2015

where is my paper ? have called three times --no paper --------------might be 6pm tonight ------------I received a Daily herald this morning placed it back window of my car which is in drive way...Called 3 times about Tribune where is it ------------be here in 60 to 90 minutes -----------that was hours ago----------------- choice given me was read paper on computer which is too small ---- get it tomorrow morning --- its not news than its history -------last person talked to said 6pm tonight------------------------- since Chicago American closed its doors a few years ago I'm spoiled ---like paper in morning -----or at least 6pm same day----------------- lets wait and see what happens

Chicago Tribune - scholarship subscriptions

The Chicago Tribune has high school kids out asking for subscriptions or twenty dollars for their college fund. Be careful if you donate. Even if you waive the subscription to just make a donation, the Trib ends up sending you the paper and they will charge you $40 if you don't cancel on time. I travel so much I never even knew I was receiving the paper until I got a last notice that I owed them $40 otherwise they were taking me to collections.I guess they have to keep the paper afloat some way, right?

N

Did anyone find a way to resolve this with the Tribune? In the effort to help some high school kids the Tribune strong arms you into paying for an ongoing subscription.

Chicago Tribune - have not recieved sales circulars in 2 months

I have not received weekly sales circulars since August, 2012 and even then it was not on a weekly basis. I see empty house across from me have been getting them and only some of my neighbors have been getting theirs. Is there any reason why this keeps occuring?

Oct 19, 2015

For the past two weeks, I have not received the Walgreens sale paper with the Sunday delivery. Why is this? My neighbors have called and been told it is no longer being delivered "in our area." Now that I am paying full price for the delivery, I expect to receive a full newspaper. There is a store one block away that I can go to to buy a full price newspaper on Sunday or early edition on Saturday. Please respond to this complaint. Thank you [email protected]

I buy the trib every sunday and i pay 3 bucks for it! Only for the coupons and the crosswords! Well i look forward to the crosswords! and i get upset when section 6 is NOT in the paper! and 9/8/2013 guess what ? Section 6 is not int he paper so i paid for a paper for 3 buck for nothing! This is not the only time this has happened! I have sent a message before and nope no response! so i guess this does me no damn good!

Chicago Tribune - no delivery

I have had a subscription to the Tribune for almost 20 years. About 3 months ago I started to get late delivery the more i complained the worse the delivery got. I am now at the point that they have not had a paper delived in over 60 days. I filed a complaint with the BBB and the tribune ignored it. It is not surprising that they are in bankruptcy with this kind of service.

Hello my name is Ms. Smith, I find myself contact Tribune every month about the local value paper. If I recieve it thisweek I would not recieve another for three week, after placing phone call over ten differ time to the supervisor. What type of people do you all have working for you. They seem like they don't care about their job or the customer. Customer on the next block recieve to paper for a single house but customer on my block do not recieve any. What is the problem this been going on since December of last year. Please dress this on go problem.

D

ON 2/20/15 I SENT IN PAYMENT FOR THE SUNDAY TRIB.CALLED 4 TIMES GOT IT ONCE ON MONDAY. PLEASE SEND THE PAPER OR A REFUND. D.BURKE 2609 W 100th PL.

Hi, this is the second week in a row not getting my Sunday paper. I called for last Sunday's paper, receiced a refund, so what I really wanted the paper. This Sunday 1/19/14, NO PAPER again, I really don't understand how hard it is for someone who's JOB it is to deliver the paper to the correct address? Thank you Unhappy in Elmnhurst

Good evening, my name is Autumn Smith, and I am the Social Media Specialist at the Chicago Tribune. I apologize for the delivery issues you have been having. If you send me your address, I will be able to help. Please email me at [email protected]

May 10, 2012

Chicago Tribune - subscription scholarships

Twice in the last month, two teenagers came to my door claiming that if they signed up 20 people for Chicago Tribune subscriptions, they could get a scholarship to college. They come with credentials but something about it does not seem right. Both times they came in the evening around 8 pm, and when I refused to buy their subscriptions, both asked, "don't you want to help me got to college?" I've done some web searching but I can't seem to find an answer as to whether or not this is a program that the Tribune participates in. If the kids are legit, then the tribune needs to figure out a better way to sell their subscriptions than preying on people by using teenagers as salespersons.

Aug 06, 2014

I keep getting the Tribune even if I never authorized it. Please STOP!

May 16, 2012

Good afternoon, my name is Autumn Smith, and I am an employee in the Client Services dept at the Chicago Tribune.

Please contact me at [email protected], with any questions regarding your Chicago Tribune subscription or delivery. I am located in Chicago, and will be able to help.

You may also visit us on Facebook: facebook.com/TribuneClientServices and Twitter: @ChiTribCS.

M
May 10, 2012

Perhaps a call to the circulation department is in order. At least then you would know if it is legit, and can let them know of your concerns.

Chicago Tribune - delivery/customer service

I have subscribed to the Chicago Tribune for a very long time. The delivery of the paper started to get sporadic and the paper was being thrown in the street or the easement. I called and requested...

Chicago Tribune - can't do anything correctly

Back in April 2011, I signed up via web for Sunday only paper. I called first to ask if I would get all the inserts which include the coupons and was told yes. A week later paper comes with no coupons. I call 1-800-Tribune. Of course they are in the Philippines or India and cannot speak so that I understand them. They overly enunciate! I was told I would have a replacement paper with in an hour. It never came. This has happened almost weekly. I have asked repeatedly to speak to a supervisor in Chicago. Last week was the last straw for me. No coupons and I called like I always do. I also emailed which I do sometimes after the overseas person gets me even more angry. I was told that since I don't live in Chicago but an hour south that I may not get coupons. I said nonsense because I was told I would get them. I went back and forth and told them either get it fixed or cancel my paper and refund my money. They told me the would be able to credit me but not refund as they don't issue refunds. I again said I want someone in Chicago to call me or I was going to drive into the city and find someone. Four days later I finally get a call and I recognize that Chicago accent :) He tells me all will be well. I will get coupons and the paper will be left in the paper box rather than the mud. I am happy. This morning, I get up and open the door and no paper on the ground. I check the paper box and no paper. I call and no account listed for me. I repeatedly press [protected] and finally get to an operator overseas. She informs me that I canceled my paper. I told her I did not. She insists I did. I can feel my blood boiling again. When I got off the phone with this woman I had a throbbing in my neck. Will I have a heart attack and die over the Tribune's lousy service and horrific customer service? Probably. My paper supposedly starts again next Sunday. I'm not willing to drive 20 miles to seek a paper box and buy a paper that may or may not have coupons.

May 14, 2012

I apologize for the difficulty you went through in getting your coupons delivered. If you are still having delivery issues, please email me at [email protected] I am located in Chicago, and will be able to help with anything regarding your subscription.

Chicago Tribune - deborah winfield

To: Chicago Tribune
I am not trying to be an angry person, but I am tired of your workers delivering the local values and the hoy to my house. I asked them not to deliver it but they continue to do so. I am very irritated by this and I feel I should not have to deal with this. I read on the paper (if I want to cancell the delivery) well, I did not subscribe for the paper, so! I should not have to go through all of this. If I have to I will sue your company for forcing your advertisement on me and littering my property with your junk mail. They(workers) are throwing your papers over my fence. I have been dealing with this for five or more years. When I first moved here there was no delivery of this paper. So, please STOP! the delivery.

Ms. Deborah Winfield
July 09, 2011

The beginning of the end when it comes to trash in the city of Chicago is the delivery of pre-rolled garbage to your front door. Thanks to the Chicago Tribune and its subsidiary Local Values we all have been granted the blessing of trash we don’t want being left on our front steps in the name of savings! Wow! How lucky are we? I’d say we’re so lucky that even after calling and complaining we will still find this wonderful refuse on our porches every morning. Our luck will be so good that the company itself will tell us that we opted into receiving these “gifts”, and even though we all know this to be false they will not allow us to opt out. Oh, they will say we’ve been removed from the list, but that won’t stop the papers from piling up. No, they will keep coming until every forest on earth has been stripped bare, and with our luck they will then be delivered on stone tablets each day. That will be just perfect. I mean we can then use them as doorstops or yard decorations. Thanks Chicago Tribune! You make Chicago a better place to live…if you like garbage on your steps that is.

Jun 25, 2012

Deborah - My name is Autumn Smith, and I am the Social Media Specialist at the Chicago Tribune. I apologize that you have been receiving unwanted publications. If you are still receiving the Local Values and Hoy publications, please email me at [email protected], and I will be able to make sure delivery is stopped.

Chicago Tribune - sunday delivery of the paper

after bfailing to receive delivery of the sundays paper I was informed by Marien customer service rep. that a bredelivery would be made within 1 hour. this at 9am. after where was no
2nd delivery. I called back and no one asnwers the phone offices are closed.
call back 5/20/11 to express my concern about the up coming delivery, was told that it be taken care and that the carrier would ring my door bell at the time of delivery. Ask for the name of the carrier and was told she didn't have that information. mY QUESTION THEN WAS HOW CAN YOU REQUEST A REDELIVERY WHEN YOU DON 'T KNOW WHO THE CARRIER IS., REQUESTED TO SPEAK NWITH A SUPERVISOR AND TOLD THE THING BY
SUPPOSE SUPERVISOR. AND THEY WONDER WHY THEY ARE GOING BROKE. IT ALL STARTS WITH THE CUSTOMER SERVICE. NO SERVICE NO CUSTOMERS.

Good afternoon, Terrp. my name is Autumn Smith in the Client Services dept at the Chicago Tribune. The Chicago Tribune is not charging for the TV Week Magazine.

If you have any additional questions, please email me at [email protected]

Nov 01, 2011

Re: New TV Magazine
I have been reading the sun-times for many years and i cannot believe that now you want people to pay for a tv magazine for their tv listings. I remember when your paper cost 35 cents then 50 and now 75 cents. It went from being a larger size newspaper to a smaller condensed version costing more.money. Why should the readers of your newspaper have to pay for something that was included and free in the sunday sun-times, this is outrageous! I will not subscribe to your tv magazine i do not need the information cable listings, etc let the people that have cable tv and subscribe, so that they don't have to find out what's on tv by checking each channel individually (poor them). Why don't you just keep the tv preview in the sun-times and let people with cable subscribe to a tv magazine for their cable listings. I find a lot of information that i don't need in the new tv magazine the regular (free tv preview enclosed in the sun-times will do just fine) it also has cable listing!

Hello, my name is Autumn Smith in the Client Services dept at the Chicago Tribune. JKDE is correct, we contact the distributors when redelivery is requested for a subscriber. Redelivery should have been made to you, and I can look into this issue if you would like to email me at [email protected]

The Client Services dept at the Tribune is more than welcome to help with any home delivery subscriptions, or store purchases of the paper. Feel free to visit us Facebook at http://on.fb.me/eQT0zN or Twitter at http://twitter.com/chitribcs.

Autumn Smith

May 20, 2011

The newspaper sends papers to distributors who send them to delivery areas. There they are given to route carriers for local distribution.

When a news paper is scheduled for re-delivery, the newspaper calls the distributor who calls the carrier. That is why the newspaper does not know the name of your local carrier.

Next time your paper boy or girl delivers for you, ask them for their name and the distributor phone number to call in case your paper is missing again.

This way you will know who they are and at Christmas time you can give them a nice gift.

Chicago Tribune - delivery problem

Not only can't they get my newspaper to me, when I called to cancel my subscription the phone rep kept giving excuses rather than just following my request to cancel. Won't be long until they're in bancruptcy again.

Chicago Tribune - stop delivery - I do not want it

I have contacted both the telephone number and website that appears in the Chicago Tribune Local values flyer numerous times requesting to have my address removed from their distribution lists. They...

B

Chicago Tribune - home delivery

I subscribed to a home delivery special, but when I tried to cancel the papers continue to come. Two Letters and two emails later I was told that you can't unsub by mail and before they would cancel...

Chicago Tribune - tv guide switch

The Chicago Tribune has finally entered the arena of "dirty tricks" to try and increase their sales. Now they're switching the TV Guide insert to Saturday making people have to buy not only the Sunday issue but the Saturday one as well with some kind of ridiculous excuse that a blind man can see through.

I for one am not going to buy the Saturday issue but am cancelling my Sunday subscription as well.

Jun 26, 2012

Good morning all. My name is Autumn Smith and I am a Social Media Specialist at the Tribune. I will be able to help with any questions regarding the Chicago Tribune. Feel free to email me at [email protected], with your name and question/comment regarding the paper, and I will respond ASAP with a resolution.

Well, now the Sun Times is playing the fun game since we'll have to subscribe to TV Guide to get the listings. In this horrible economy I don't think these tactics employed by the Trib and the Times will gain them any friends, and some of us may just have to get our listings online or do without. People out of work aren't going to be adding any unnecessary expenses to their household account.

What a stupid thing to do. I would read the advertisements and look through the TV listings on Sunday morning. Now I as am switching to the sun times who I am sure has advertisements and a TV Guide. With a declining news paper readership you would think that a News Paper would not be this stupid.

Apr 20, 2009

I've been buying the Sunday Tribune for years. When they switched the TV guide to Saturday's paper with that BS excuse, I figured I'd have to give in and get both papers. Since they started 3 weekends ago, I have not even been able to find a Saturday Trib to buy! So guess what...I am now buying the Sunday Sun Times. So long Tribune.

G
Apr 19, 2009

I agree with Ted. I also refuse to buy an additional Saturday paper just to get the TV Guide insert.

In fact, I have already Cancelled my 20 year subscription to the Sunday paper because of this "ditry trick" they're playing. But when I called to cancel, the lady on the phone at the Trib gave me all this hype about what a "great deal" she'd give me if I paid extra to take both the Saturday AND Sunday paper.

So nice try Chicago Tribune, we don't want two papers. Or better put...

What Part of NO Don't You Understand !

Jul 12, 2008

Chicago Tribune - newspaper delivery

The tribune is outsourced to deliver newspapers for the suntimes as well as their own paper. The delivery person assigned to bring my three papers everyday is lazy and no good and skips my house...

K
Feb 18, 2008

Chicago Tribune - collected money twice!

One evening I had 2 teenagers with credentials come to my house asking for donations of $15 towards "The Good Shepard Nursing Home" for those needy people to be there and can't afford there stay. Chicago Tribune had some kind of assistance of a kind of match in donations and as a thank you (supposedly) the donator would receive a 3 month subscription. Then for my surprise a few months later I get a collection bill for $16. Here it is a brutal SCAM (the stronger ones against the little ones). Be aware! Don't allow to happen to you. I've learned my lesson the hard way when I was just ready to help the needy.

L
Oct 07, 2019

Did not receive Sunday paper. Can you either deliver or issue credit. Thanks, Lee Stopoulos, Rockford

Aug 15, 2019

Not enough time on notice of cost of renewal . should be at least 10 days . No added cost is over 20 percent .. very hard to talk over foreigners customer service ..

May 18, 2019

my sunday morning newspaper gets delivered and late only if i call to remind of no delivery and sometimes it still does not get devivered at all

Ya, the Tribune finds all kinds of ways to scam the people. Can't wait for the paper to go under.

1 2 3 4