Charter communicationsonline order / customer service malfunctions!

Charter Communications - www.charter.com

Attempted to order high-speed internet through charter.com, but was unable to do so. Called [protected] at noon Pacific Time and was transferred from sales (Sundown) to tech support (Jack). Tech support informed me that their site is malfunctioning, and that sales can help me place my order. Tech support transferred me to sales but I was placed on hold and then I was disconnected. At this point, it is 40 minutes after the start of my call. I called back and spoke to Bao in tech support and told him what happened. Tech support transferred me to sales (Cori), who informed me that the hi-speed internet rate I requested is an online-only promotional product. I asked who could help me order the promotion, and she reiterated that she could not help me. I decided not to order internet through Charter and politely ended the call. All Charter employees were very polite, but no one was able to help me, which leads me to believe there is a problem with Charter's overall system and not with their point-of-contact employees.

• Pp
    pparadis Aug 31, 2011

Contacted customer service regarding charge on my bill for a service call. service call was to replace faulty equipment and was told I would not be charged, but when called they said it was wire maintenance charge. I didn't have any wire maintenance done!! only had a faulty cable box swapped out. That was first issue, which they did agree to remove charge. Second question was why I was still being charged for modem lease. First off, when I originally switched to charter I took part in a promotion that they told me offered me a free modem lease as long as I remained a customer. Over the course of the last 8 yrs they have repeatedly tried to re enter that charge. Finally I dedcided to just buy my own modem. however they continued to charge me. Now they say that because I took part in their 24 month price guarantee, I have to pay that modem charge going forward even though I don't have that equipment anymore! So not only have I been paying a modem lease for years even though I was told I would never have to do, I now have to pay a modem lease on a modem I don't have. Customer service agent was rather smug in pointing out that because I signed the contract it was too bad and nothing they could do. Asked for name, refused to give last name, asked for corporate number and that info was also refused. I was told I could find it online. Incredibly frustrated, and would like to stop paying for equipment I don't have and would also like to see a credit for all the months that I was told there would be no charge.

Marting Mar 02, 2011

Not only was I assured my promotional rate could be extended in my initial service activation conversation, but there was follow up call months later confirming this ability. When I called to extend my promotional rate, there was complete denial this option ever existed. Upgrades were needed. Furthermore, they deceitfully tried to drop off a rental box for the television without explaining the additional cost. Even the tech who was to drop off the box was upset at being continually cast as the culprit for scamming people.
    They may not need me, but I sure believe those responsible will receive their due.

Thomas Mullen Nov 01, 2010

I have been a Charter Communications customer since January 2017 and have been paying for 5mbs Internet service ever since; however, the company has sent out not one, not two, not three, but four technicians who cannot seem to diagnose or troubleshoot a line if thier life depended on it.

Here's the problem. It appears that my modem (Motorola Surfboard 6120 w/0 firmware upgrade), has to boost the upstream signal so much, the dropped packets become intolerable. They (customer service/tech support) say that running 47-50 dBmV upstream is acceptable; however, that drops my effective bandwith to 1 mbs up and 1 mbs down. This is 20% of what I am paying for. Do you think they would charge 20% of the cost? Nope.

Now I have to take a day off of work to meet the 5th technician on Friday. It is amazing that not one of the technicians could figure out that you either need to put a filter on it, or if the signal is running so hot downstream that getting anything upstream has to be amplified so much that it is interfering with the line quality, that it might need a little tweaking to get the signal right. Maybe an attenuator or two could solve it, but isn't that what the technicians are paid to do? And when I asked for a credit on the account, they offered what would have been equal to the difference in quality of service for two months. This didn't even include the amount that I am going to lose by taking a day off of work to meet a technician for the third time myself.

Resolution requested: The level of Internet service that I am paying for and getting it done on Friday once and for all. I would also like to be compensated for the loss of work for the second time, since they cannot seem to get anyone to schedule service calls after bankers hours or on the weekends, but the most important thing is to get the level of service that I am currently paying for, but they are not delivering all because they might have to send someone out who can put the right combination of parts (attenuators and/or filters).

Thomas Mullen

• Ha
    hampman71 Jul 30, 2010

We signed up for Charter bundle package back in March 2017. We were told it would be $108.99 a month for 2 years. We also asked about a disabled veterens discount upon which we were told there would be a discount of 10%. April's bill comes in and not only did we not get a discount but the bill was for $158.72. We called and asked what happened. An indian person stated that since we had added HD service, Showtime and HBO the price went up. I kindly explained to him that we did not authorize that. After some discussion, the services were removed and we were suppossed to be credited. Along comes May's bill. This bill was for $164.41, no credit applied, now we have HBO, Showtime and Cinemax! I called again. Spoke with Terry M. She went thru my whole bill and reviewed previous notes. Could not find anything about a credit being applied but did notice during my last call I added Cinemax. I just about lost it!! She was actually very nice and was able to assure me this would be taken care of. Here comes June's bill at $186.98.. Now I have no credit applied, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and 5 movies ordered. I called Charter, with my attorney, on a conference call. The male would not release his name or id#. We were promptly forwarded to a manager named Ray. He said he would take care of this issue. As of today, the bill was taken care of, I cancelled all my services and now have a credit of $210.14 that I have to use with Charter. These people are idiots and should not be allowed to operate a business like this.

• Do
    don'tlikecharter Jun 02, 2010

you're paying for all the trees they need to cut down to send junk mail out every five minutes.

I'm not a customer -- and never will be. I can't even get off their damn junk mailing list. Quite arguably, they have the most aggressive, invasive marketing ad campaign in history and no respect for people who are on the national 'do not mail' list.

If their customer service department can't handle a simple request to get off a mailing list, i have to wonder.

i read another apt description about them on the web, they are "ethically challenged"

• Co
    Courtine May 12, 2010

Which one sucks less? I read reviews on u-verse but I haven't tried it. Charters' tech support that I have encountered are either rude, can't speak english or just plain STUPID regarding your account. I pay my bill & I am tired of dealing with rude or stupid or foreign employees that do not have a clue. When it comes to paying a bill, I have had competent people to talk to, but when it comes to tech support, I might as well get support from my dogs as they are smarter that your tech people that I have encountered.

Mailo Apr 06, 2010

Just thought I would add my two cents on Charter Communications. Worst. Customer. Service. Ever.

Was a subscriber for about 6 months, during which time I had several increases in my monthly fees. Every time I called, I would get a different explanation, often combined with a promise my rates would be lowered again. Of course, there was never any follow through, and if one calls to complain about that-then they will just give you the standard " I don't know who you talked to, but..." (this is a bald faced lie, as I have since learned every conversation is recorded!)

Nevertheless, the clincher was when I moved about five miles away. First they could only hook up internet because I had no note from my landlord. Could ya maybe tell me ahead you needed that? Two weeks later they returned to hook up only two of the four tv's I requested be hooked up-because they did "not have time" to do all of them.

Next I received a bill showing I owed nothing. Then I Received a bill a couple weeks later for TWO months, showing I owed 300 some dollars!!

Of course I called, only to learn that they jacked up my bill by 30 dollars a month (a "transfer fee"). They charged me for two installations, even though my order was never completed. Oh, and have I mentioned yet, that all my movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) were also removed? The woman I talked to was a raging *** which did not help matters at all. I ended up shouting at her to cancel my service and hung up.

Now here is the kicker. I sent an email of complaints and request to cancel the same day-and they emailed back saying they do not accept emails. I then went to the recommended chat alternative-again, stating my complaints and request to cancel. That person kept mysteriously disconnecting and I got NOWHERE. FInally I sent my bill-paying for the servces I felt I had received (the internet was ok) and a hand written letter with all of my complaints (AGAIN) and a request to cancel. This was within a few day period.

Several months went by, and my cable was never shut off. I was not about to waste my time hounding them. Then I received a bill for 500 some dollars. Then they finally called me. At this point I told them I canceled months ago and would not pay another dime. I was told that in order to cancel I would have to do it by phone only, and would have had to transfer to someone else to cancel and that is why I was not cancelled, therefore they could not possibly remove any charges. Shortly thereafter I received a letter threatening to shut off my cable for non payment with notice of the shut off date. THat is what I wanted anyway-but they actually shut off my cable two weeks before the shut off date.

After a lot of back and forth through the Better Business Bureau, and plenty of phone calls where we were both yelling on the phone, a no show appointment ( you know the kind where they come between 8 am and 1 pm and you are supposed to just wait) and another bill for over 1000 dollars, they FINALLY came and got their equipment. At that time the tech offered me a "great deal" to keep my cable. hahaha

It was one of the more awful experiences of my life-truly-and not because I am super blessed. It was just that bad.

• Fr
    Free2278 Apr 01, 2010

My family and I have had Charter Internet and cable services for the passed 3 1/2 years. Between 7 to 9 months ago we started getting random disconnects of our internet, the outage could go from lasting a few minutes to a few hours. We started calling, and they started resending the signal and bam, we'd be up again...this might last a few days to a few weeks, and then we'd have more connectivity issues. Then we started having representitives come out to the house, at first they were only checking the dMB's and the lines in the house, then everything would be good for awhile, then we'd go down again. After the first 4 months, they started checking the lines outside, they found a few issues and would "resolve" these issues. then we'd be good for a little while longer. During this time I have been going to school online, and due to these intermitten connectivity issues I have lost papers, grades, and even failed a course because the 'net went down at the end of one of my final exams. I have talked to representitives and supervisors repeatedly, even talking to the Corporate Complaint people. Speaking of representitives, I thought it was great a month ago when I had to hang up on 2 of them, the first one refused to send me to a supervisor, as did the 2nd one...but on top of that, the 2nd one gave me a BUM phone number to Corporate Complaints. When I finally spoke to Corporate Complaints, they advised me a supervisor would be at my house the next day with a tech to finally resolve the issue, tech came...no supervisor. The techs, I thought, did a great job, found some wiring issues and "fixed" them. 3 days later it goes again, my wifes calls Charter, she gets told a supervisor will be out with a tech, again we get a tech and no supervisor. This tech finds even more wiring issues that the last set of techs failed to see, he "fixed" that and left...since that day, 3 days ago, I have gone down everyday, more than once a day, and for longer periods each time. When the hell is Charter going to get their heads out of thier collective ### and do something right for once?

• Da
    Dan23 Feb 22, 2010

As I went to pay my bills today I was surprised at the amount on my Charter bill. It said that I had paid the bill from last month but yet at the end of the adjustments section I was charged $94.44 just in adjustments. There was no reasoning for this.

I got in touch with Charter and they said that my payment from the month before had not been processed. But I was never informed of this and probably never would have been if I contacted them.

If I had known this originally when I had tried paying my bill the first time I could have taken care of it. Now, however, I have to pay double what I was expecting to pay.

In this tough economy this is not the way to do business. I am lucky that I should be able to afford to pay the full amount, not everyone is that lucky though.

Also, I work in customer service for a small company. I realize that Charter is not a small company but if I had a customer whose payment did not go through and I did not contact that customer to get paid right away I probably wouldn't have my job anymore. I was hesitant to get Charter because I knew they were going bankrupt, now I think I know why.

• Rg
    RghtBkatU Dec 27, 2009

Charter sucks (period)

• Mi
    MigZ Dec 27, 2009

I upgraded to 20Mpbs on 12/8/09 and was billed an additional $25 but never received 20Mbps speeds. After 18 calls to technical support, several hours of troubleshooting, a new router, and confirmation from LinkSys that the modem was capable of 42.88Mbps speeds, Charter refused to credit me the month of service - or lacktherof. Instead Dean, from Billing, transferred me to a number that kept ringing and I could not leave a voicemail - their idea of customer service. I filed a complaint with the FCC.

• Mi
    Mista Dec 18, 2009

I called Charter communication to let them know I was moving to a new home. I called a 2 week ahead to schedule an installation. They told me everything would be fine. Two days later my internet service stopped working at the old address. I called then to find out what has happened they told me the was a problem with connection in that area. I called 2 days later again and they told me the same thing. After the fourth day still without internet I called them again asking them how long would the problems with the connections would last. This time they make me wait 15 minutes and told me to call to another number. I called the other number and found out the service was disconnected and if i wanted the service back I have to cancel the installation, while I was thinking about it and then they told me they could not do anything to get me back online because they unplugged the connection manually. I was so angry no one told me that to get a new installation schedule they have to remove the original connection immediately...

It would not be a big deal if it wasn't because I have Vonage VOIP so now I do not have internet or phone service. Why it took 3 phone calls to tell me this?

• Ta
    Tazmania699 Nov 18, 2009

Just want to mention this issue is the same here in 2017 All the time and 3 years of complaints about it. The problem was found to be in the USNR and they told me a week ago it would take 48 hours to correct it. Again a tech has been dispatched and I'm sure I'm gonna get the same run around when they arive. As of today I am really considering going back to DSL and Dish Network

• Ki
    kittikatt Oct 29, 2009

I have an overdraft due to Charter Communications taking money out of my account for a cable bill which they were not authorized.I had spoken with 5 different employees and hung up on about 6 times.They do not understand the issue because they barely understand English.I went to my local office and they were so rude I wish I could've taped it.They keep telling me that "the check is in the mail".Why is the check in the mail when all they have to do is transfer money to my account from theirs right over the computer...it only takes a few minutes but what do they care whether my family has food or whether or not I can pay my other bills??They got their money.

• Ad
    Adrian98 Jun 13, 2009

I moved to Mandeville, LA in November. I already had cable, so I scheduled a technician for HSI. A sub-contractor came, spent 5 hours and could not get the HSI to work. In the months that followed, here is what happened:
    1. 30 phone calls to Charter Customer Service
    2. 27 Charter Customer Service people hanging-up the phone on me and transferring me to the Spanish line as a joke
    3. 7 Charter Customer Service people calling me the "s, f, and a" words

So, I called AT&T. Within 3 hours, I had DSL service.

• St
    steviebzzz Feb 20, 2009

Charter told me I couldn't get the special introductory price so I sucked it up and started their service.
    Now six months later my bill is raised because the introductory period is up and in six more months the part of the bill for cable TV and internet will also go up. Thats more than 40$ !

P.S. when I canceled people pc they kept taking money out automaticaly.
    If your over 50 there's a way to work it out with your bank. It's called an E-File.
    The whole industry is crooked!

• Li
    littledeb92001 Feb 08, 2009

I have had nothing but problems with Charter. Everytime they come to hook up or disconnect someone elses apartment, many of us lose our service.

In addition, I go to use chat to cancel phone service. I'm told I have to call. I call and wait until a rep takes my information. Supposedly, it was cancelled. Today, I get a recorded call saying my appointment is still on for the 9th! Not only that, I'm scheduled for video hook-up that I never ordered! The rep is supposed to transfer me, I wait and wait on the line and get nothing. I hang up and try chat (figuring it's already cancelled). They tell me I have to call again! I tell them, "I already tried that twice today!" It didn't work!

This is a constant occurrance with Charter! I am stressed out enough without their imcompetent customer service reps adding more stress. I just told them your techs just going to make a visit for nothing then because I'm not sitting on that phone another hour to try to fix their mistake!

• Al
    Alexa Coleman Dec 29, 2008

The solution to your complaint is easy. Disconnect all the services with Charter. You have received non-existent service from them. Don't purchase service from them.

• Al
    Alexa Coleman Dec 28, 2008

I am sorry that you lost internet service for a couple of days, Charter didn't credit you, and Charter scammed you. You should cancel service with them (if you didn't already) and not pay for the existing package which you did not order. I ordered a promotional cable service from them and they did not properly bill me either from when the service first began. They lied about my service. We should start an internet support group. LOL!

• Jb
    J.B. Dec 26, 2008

This company lies> first, I lose internet service for a brief couple day period regularly and they never credit the difference. Second they lie about their package deals that lock you in for a 12 month period>they give a price and do not hold up to their end of the agreement. They send you a letter stating that your package is no longer available and you will be billed for additonal money. They scam people and the public needs to report this to the attorney generals office!!! Charter communications lies > they are scammers!!!

• Ed
    EdnaTN Dec 04, 2008

On 11-22-08 through 11-23-08 I made numerous calls about unsatisfactory service because of an extremely late technician. The service call was for 12 pm -5pm on 11-22-08 and was a transfer of services. After serveral calls for late service and several promises of credits ($20 x3 and $70), the technician arrived at my home after 9 pm. He appeared inept and continually left tools outside and did not seem to be knowledgeable of wiring in the home. The new service address was previously served by Charter Communications through Oct 2017, but the technician said all lines were "dead" and needed re-wiring for service. I felt as if he were "milking" Charter for his time and me as a customer for unnecessary service and wiring. Furthermore, for a routine connection, he had allotted a 3 hour time period for my connection (I was told this by a CSR), seemingly suspicious. This techinican left my home at 12:40 am and I still had two cable boxes that were not active. He said he would check on them after church on Sunday. Sunday afternoon he returned and called the problems in to have the boxes activated.

I made complaints and was said to have credits, which are surprisingly not appearing on my billing along with my complaint documentation. Additionaly. I have taken a survey and responded that my service was unsatisfactory. In my years with your company, I have NEVER been so disappointed and dismayed by the lack of professionalism and service. When calling the customer service line about his extreme tardiness, I was told that the only way I would know that he was not coming that night was if he didn't show up. VERY unprofessional! I would like a Manager to timely follow up concerning this matter.

• Wt
    WTC Oct 30, 2008

Charter is on the ropes (so it would seem - check their financials and stock CHTR) and they have only themselves to blame. Such a simple equation: provide a quality product, support it properly. People will FLOCK to such businesses.

In our case we have cable TV (HD service included) and internet. Neither has been satisfactory for years. Finally, after TWO years of calling and complaining out the HD picture breaking up, a technician installed a signal booster that solved it. Yea. Only two years of suffering. Thanks Charter - why couldn't that have been the solution after the first call? Oh, but thanks for charging us full rate for services not rendered.

Now, we struggle with Internet. Mysteriously - as if there is a severe bandwidth issue locally - the internet service starts dropping packets every evening from roughly 7 pm to 102 in the morning (I am rarely up to know when service gets decent again). I have a log of each instance. I use the simple Ping -t method to watch the packets. Amazing what you can learn. I can live with up to 2-3% dropped packets. At 6-7% I lose the company VPN I have to use to get in the corporate office (I work from home - so this is no small problem). at 20-30% the internet appears down. Web browsers try to work, but usually time out. And if the page does render it is unacceptably slow. Any higher it might as well be completely down. Nothing connects. And of course there are times where it is completely down. I have logged 154 hours of down time since about mid June 2017. And these are only times I have captured. I am not on 24/7 so there could be other issues.

Charter's response? Reboot the modem. Not only is this asinine to tell me (can you imagine having to reboot the service every day??), it doesn't work at any rate. It ain't my network fellas - there is some bandwidth/network/router issue on your end and you need to find it.

My advice to Charter: Fire your entire marketing staff (think of the paper and airwaves you will save) and use the money to FIX YOUR SERVICE and SUPPORT GROUP. YOUR COMPANY IS BROKEN. You have only to read the many online horror stories to know you have severe process issues. It is probably too late for you, sadly. As for me, I continue to look for alternatives. Hello DirectTV/DISH/HUGHES/BLUEWAVE satellite services...

• Valerie Oct 07, 2008

I had Charter cable, internet and phone installed July 08 and I have had only problems with the billing. The advertising was misleading and the bill goes up every month. Customer service ***! We as consumers need to end their unfair practices. I called to speak with a supervisor and the representative would not transfer my call. I was quoted and it was written on the work order the amount I was to pay and when I received my first bill, it was double the amount. I reported Charter to the Better Business Bureau. I hope they listen to the customer.

• Valerie Aug 12, 2008

To begin with, Never in my entire life of 50 years have I ever experienced such an absolute lack of customer service and incompetence at all levels, as that of Charter Communications.

In the five years I have lived in my home, I have made approx seven appointments with Charter Communications for various internet, phone and cable TV concerns. In each instance except one, Charter has either shown up ridiculously late or not shown up at all.

I am an almost five year customer with Charter and spend over 200.00 a month for services.

On Monday, January 14, I made an appointment with Charter to have a moden installed. I was quoted an appointment for January 16 between 8 and 12:00. This from Charter employee Number one.

On January 16, the scheduled day, I called at 1145 knowing that they would of course be late and not call.

I spoke with Charter person #2, who advised me that the technition was running 30 minutes late and would be at my house shortly. Being lied to before by Charter I again called at 1230 inquiring when they would be at my house.

Charter employee number 3 advised me that they did not have a scheduled appointment for me at all. This was after employee #2 adsvied me that they would be at my house in thirty minutes.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, Charter employee (Supervisor) number 4, who advised me that she was sorry about the inconvience and that a person would be at my house today between 3 and 5.

At 5:15 with no one showing up, I again called Charter, this time I talked with employee number 5 who advised me that there was not a record of my appointment. After 45 minutes I was transferred to Charter Employee (Supervisor) Number 6 who advsed me that appointment was scheduled for the following day!

I asked this supervisor who I could speak to or write to complain about the way I was treated. This supervisor only gave me an address of corporate and no other information.

I am frustrated because Charetr lies, has no accountablity and we as consumers are just stuck with them. Who can we complain to?

Today, I took off work, all day, spent at least three hours on the phone with lying incompetent personell and the only thing I got was "We are really sorry."

What can we do as consumers to complain and make the govenment do something about cable companies that have absolutely zero customer service or accountability.

I know there are thousands of consumers like me that have lived through this nightmare, does anyone have any idea how we can complain to someone who cares about people and not just money and the bottom line.

• Valerie Jul 24, 2008

I have had numerous problems with charter communications. I have been billed for the past 8 months at 2 different addresses for the same service. When I call to complain charter tells me I cannot be compensated for my time and that they cannot help me. Please do not sign up for services with this company... If there is another option in your neighborhood please take it. It will save you money in the long run!!!

I literally have called over 40 times! No one seems to be able to help me and now my bills have been sent to a collection agency. I will not pay two different bills from an address I do not even live at!

• Te
    Teresa Jul 22, 2008

This is a letter I sent to Charter. It is long I realize but we have been dealing with problems for 5 weeks almost daily. There are a lot of details to include. The letter follows:
    We have had nothing but problems with Charter cable since before June 15, 2017. I have listed below as much details as possible. The dates are to the best of my knowledge, I could have a few dates off but the details and the number of times remain the same. We have had technicians to our house at least 7 times. Every time a tech comes out that requires us to take time away from our jobs and wait at least 5 hours for them, 7x5= 35 hours. Charter doesn’t care.
    This is besides the line techs that have to come because nothing can be done for our problem by the regular technicians. 35 hours does not include the hours and hours we have spent on the phone calling Charter, Charter corporate, different technicians, and the technician supervisors. We now pay for Charter but have to use an internet card through a cell phone company if we want to be sure to have internet. Charter doesn’t care.
    We have a daughter that has severe asthma and has to make frequent calls to 911. This is the only reason we keep a land line. Sometimes she passes out and they can find her because the address shows up, but not without a phone. We have probably told 25 or more different people at Charter about the medical condition and how important the phone is to us. Charter doesn’t care.
    We have an alarm system that has an alarm every time the phone goes out. So we spend night after night getting up 2, 3 and even 6 times all night long getting out of bed and going downstairs to reset the alarm. It is a very good reminder of how much Charter service is down. Charter doesn’t care.
    Beside all of this we have another daughter that has a fiancé in service of his country in Afghanistan and the internet is sometimes their only means of communication. When internet is out for days on end her not being able to keep in touch with him is an added stress for the family. Charter doesn’t care.
    My husband works out of town Monday through Thursday and is only home Thursday night through Sunday night. This past 6 weeks when he is in he is spending hours and hours of his time on the phone with Charter rather than being able to enjoy his few short days at home. Charter doesn’t care.
    None of these things are ever considered. None of these things matter to Charter. They seem to think that having internet and phone is unimportant. If it wasn’t something we feel we need then we wouldn’t be spending $112 every month. The only thing Charter is interested in is sending us a bill every month and trying to sell us more Charter Communication Services, when we call to tell them for the 20th time that the service we have doesn’t work.
    For this moment in time our services are working. If you will read every detail below you can see why I am saying now that when they go out again as I am sure they will today or tomorrow we are finished with Charter. I don’t have time to find another source for internet and I don’t want to deal with it but we have went further with this than most people would and we are the only ones putting effort in here. We are now looking into changing to Embarq or other service. Charter isn’t interested in anything but mailing the bill. There is no surprise in the fact that Charter stocks are selling for $1.00. A company is only as good as its customer service and reputation and both of those are very poor.

If you think this list of problems is too extensive to waste your time reading, just imagine living it the past 6 weeks. The time it will take someone to read it is very small compared to the time we have wasted trying to work with Charter.

June 15, 2017
    Our internet has had a weak signal and constantly cuts off and on every few minutes for months. Our tv has had poor reception for months. On June 15th the phone and internet went out completely and the tv became worse. We called Charter – they set up an appointment to come out on June 24th. We explained at this time that our daughter has severe asthma and has to call 911 frequently. We were assured that they would get it fixed as soon as possible. They said that it would be fixed either Monday night or Tuesday by 5:00 at the latest. I asked for a call so that I could meet the technician at the house if it went into Tuesday. Because of hospital and doctor appointments we could not be here all day Tuesday to wait for the technician. I asked for a call at 30 minutes ahead of time so I could get home. The agent said that since it is a sub contractor that Charter has no control of how much notice they give, he could not guarantee that I would get any notice. He said that he would put down that I needed a call, but they might not call ahead of time. I don’t understand why if the sub contractor is hired by Charter that Charter has no control over whether they can give a call or not. At the end of the phone call he tried to sell me more Charter services when the ones I am paying for now don’t work.

June 17,
    Tuesday around 4:30 I got a call from the technician on my cell phone. He was 5 houses away and I was 25 minutes away. He agreed to wait until I could get someone here. I got a neighbor, (whose cable is out also) to come and let him in. When I showed up about 25 minutes later he said that the problem was not in the house that it was in the line up the street. I told him that I was sorry I wasn’t there, but that I had asked for a 30 minutes warning that he was coming. He said that he would have called and given me time to get home, if Charter had put that on his work order. They put my cell phone number but said nothing about calling first. He spent at least 15 minutes in his truck on the phone setting it up so that Charter would send someone out Tuesday night because of my daughter’s medical condition. He was concerned and I am sure he put in the work order. They told him, someone should probably be there within the hour, but for sure before the night was ended.

June 18,
    No one came out Tuesday night. No one came out Wednesday during the day. On Wednesday at 5:00 I once again called Charter. The agent that answered the phone named Robert informed me that they showed no record of a line technician ever being requested. He said there was no work order. He took down my information once again and tells me that they will send out a line technician. He said he put it down for a Thursday work order but then expedited it so that it would be done Wednesday night because of my daughter’s health problems. He said that a dispatcher would be calling soon to set everything up. He asked if they could get in the house if the needed to and I told him yes if it was Wednesday night, but on Thursday my daughter was having surgery and we would not be available, but if they would call I could have someone meet them. I told him that the last technician said no one else would need to come in the house that it was on the line. He said they still had to get in, and that he would have dispatch to call to set up a time. He took down our cell phone numbers yet again. Then after hearing all of these problems he tried to try to sell me an upgrade to my package. Nothing I have works, but Charter thinks it is the time to try to get me to upgrade. Amazing marketing strategy.
    No tech came that evening. No dispatcher called to schedule as we were told.

June 19th
    So, here we are Thursday at 5:00. No phone, no internet. While my daughter was in surgery today, a technician came to the house, no phone call, no notice, no one called to say he was coming. Dispatch was suppose to call to set up an appointment. My other daughter happened to be here. The tech said that he tried to call, but the only number that he had to get us on was the charter phone number… a number that we have reported as inoperative that he was coming to fix. Charter had my cell number, the first technician called me on it and I had given it to the last person on the phone. That technician on June 19th came into the house twice. He determined that it was a line problem and not inside. Big surprise, since that is what the first man said and what I told them on the phone. So, it was noon and he is sending out a line tech. We were told again that a dispatcher would call us today. No call, no phone, no internet. The only thing we are certain of at this point is that we WILL receive a bill from Charter as usual. I have never dealt with a company that goes this far to not service its customers. My husband has been on the phone all afternoon with Charter trying to find out if someone is coming and when. No one at Charter cares about the hours and hours we are spending on this or that our daughter had surgery and has no 911 service.

June 20th,
    It is 1:30 am, June 20, Friday, our phone and internet just came on.

June 21st or 22nd- I have lost count at this point.
    Our internet and phone are out again, our TV is fuzzy. Keep in mind that every time ours is out our neighbors is out also, 100% of the time. They are also calling and getting the same service that we are. We call charter and try to explain the history. We tell them that they have sent numerous techs to the house and the problem is not here. We tell them we don’t need to sit and wait on them for 5 more hours that it is a line problem. But, Charter again sends out a technician to check the lines IN our house. This technician has to step around my daughter, who has to lie on a mattress in the floor in the living room because after surgery she can’t go up and down stairs. She can’t stand any noise and the tech has to go outside with my husband to discuss the problems we have been having. This is an intrusion when we know that it is a waste of time and it will lead no where. He assures my husband that he will get if fixed. He, like the other technicians we have talked to is concerned, especially since he is face to face with our daughter and the medical situation is apparent. But, they can’t do anything but report to Charter. He checks our lines and then says he will send out a line tech because the problem isn’t in our lines it is in the main lines. He says we have a very weak signal… again. We wait.

June 21st
    At this point we count on cell phones for 911 services even though it won’t show our address if our daughter passes out again and is alone. At this point my husband’s company purchases an internet card for him through their cell phone company because he can’t do his job without internet and we are on Charter. He has to have internet at home. You can be sure this company and everyone in it know that Charter is the reason that they have to pay $60 extra a month for an internet card. For that matter at this point I am making sure everyone knows the level of service that Charter is providing us especially in light of my daughter’s medical situation.

June 23rd
    Internet and phone come on for a few hours today and then go out again. We call Charter. They gave us another window of 5 hours that we can sit and wait on Charter again. Charter can’t just send a line tech out it seems. Even though we have been through this over and over no one will listen and just send out a line tech. It seems that a company would work on their communication between departments rather than put a customer through unnecessary problems. Oh and at the end of the call by the way; would we like to add on some more Charter services? Sure, things are going so well with what we have. What is your largest package?

June 24th
    Five more hours… A tech came to the house. He said the problem wasn’t in the house lines. He said we had a very weak signal and the problem was in the lines up the road. He told us he would send a line tech out. We again explained the medical situation with our daughter and he assured us that it would be fixed that night.
    It was not fixed that night.

June 25th
    It was not fixed the next day. More calls to Charter, more time wasted.

June 26, 2017
    We were promised it would be fixed last night. It was still out in the morning. Late the evening of June 26th a tech shows up at the house. He checks the lines. He said the problem wasn’t in the house lines. He said we had a very weak signal and the problem was in the lines up the road. He told us he would send a line tech out. We again explained the medical situation with our daughter and he assured us that it would be fixed soon. He looked over at our TV and asked if our reception was always that bad. We said yes, we have Charter. We again explain that we know it isn’t in our house and that our neighbor’s is always out when ours is so that shows it is on the line. We were told that the dispatcher would call us today (6-26) and set up a line tech. We need 911 but we still have no phone, no internet and bad TV reception. No call from dispatch. No line tech came out, it still was not fixed.

June 27, 2017
    I called Charter, again explained the problem. No phone, no internet and poor TV reception. I explained how many times it has been checked and how many times we had called. This person gave me the phone number for Charter corporate. My husband spent the afternoon on the phone explaining it all again to corporate. They said they would send a tech to the house. At the end of the call he tried to sell me more Charter services. Who ever came up with the strategy of trying to sell more product to someone that is completely irritated and frustrated that your company won’t provide what they are paying for is remarkable. Seems that fixing the situation they called about first would be paramount to trying to upgrade them.
    So again we sit and wait on a tech for 5 hours, again one comes to our house. Again we arrange our time and life around Charter. So, a tech comes to the house, surprise, he determines that the problem isn’t in the house that it is up the line and that we have a very weak signal. He promises to send a line tech. We explain once again the medical condition of our daughter. This tech did all he could but it was still beyond what he could do without a line tech. So we wait, yet again.

June 30th. Jul 12th
    Fixed but not fixed. Internet and phone comes on. We thought a line tech had finally came and fixed it. When we used the internet and phone it became quickly apparent that it was not fixed. Internet cut us off every few minutes and our alarm that is hooked to the phone cuts out and has to be reset or listen to it beep over and over. All night we get up to reset the alarm.
    Sometime during that time frame, we called Charter corporate again, and spent 45 minutes explaining history and problem. So, they say they have to send out a tech into our house again. I told them there was no point and that I didn’t have time to sit and wait another 5 hours. Doesn’t matter again, I wait. I meet this one at the door telling him he is wasting his time and mine. I told him exactly what he was going to find and what he was going to tell us. He said that if there was a problem with the line he would get a line tech out. I told him that he would try, but that it wouldn’t matter, but I invited him in to check our lines yet again. So, after a through check, he found that it was not in the house and that we had a line problem and a line tech would have to come out. And oh yeah, we have a very weak signal. He assured us it would be fixed by the next day. Exactly what I told him he would find and say.
    Finally the next day it seemed to be fixed… for a couple of days. Then it all started again. My husband again called and spent hours on the phone trying to get something done through corporate. She had him to run a speed test on speedtest.net and it was in the 200 range. The person he talked to tried turning up our signal to a higher speed. When she had us to run a speed test it showed that when the speed was turned up to the maximum speed (10mg) we still only had a number of 400 rather than the 3300 we were suppose to at our speed. But she left it at a high speed until it could be fixed because it seemed that it was going to help us to use internet at least. It worked for an hour and then began getting cutting off again. We don’t bother to call that day; we are tired of it and out of patience and time. I guess this is what Charter counts on happening.

We called back a few days later, another tech was sent out to say that the problem was not in the house. This one could not find a problem anywhere and said that we have a strong signal right then. I could not get across to him that it was going off and on. We would have internet and phone for a couple hours and then it would go out. He said it had to be out for him to find it. I told him that was impossible because when I call by the time they get someone out the next day or two that it was back on. We know every time the phone and internet go out because our alarm system goes off and sounds. We have to get up all night long sometimes 5 or 6 times to reset the alarm.
    This tech left with a “call when it is out.’ It remained out more than it did on but I have to wait to call until I can find 5 more hours to devote to Charter.

July, 13, 2017
    Phone, internet both went out again this afternoon and TV went fuzzy. It all went off and on all evening and then finally stayed off completely.

July 14, 2017
    We called and reported to Corporate that we were completely out of phone and internet and that TV was again fuzzy. They set up and appointment for the next day for a tech to come out. No problem, 5 more hours, what else do we have to do? 1 hour after the phone call it all came back on. It went off and on several more times and we reset our alarm all night but in the morning it was back on.

July 15, 2017
    Tech came out, it was on, and he found no problem and left me a number on the bottom of a door tag. I found out from a neighbor he was there and I met him as he was leaving in the road leading to our house. I talked to him and tried to explain the problem but he said with it not being out at that moment that he couldn’t fix it and that this was more frustrating for him than me. At this point, that is my main concern. I am concerned that Charter might be having frustrations. I am paying $112 per month for service I rarely have, I am spending about 25-25 hours a week either sitting and waiting on Charter to send a tech out to tell me what I have already told them, or talking or holding on the phone to try to get someone to do something. Yes, Charter’s frustrations are at the top of my list of concerns. And by now I am just hoping for another great offer to upgrade to even more Charter services when I get to call in again really soon I am sure.
    By 3:45 when I got home it was all off again. I called the number on the hang tag. David (line tech supervisor) came out and worked on the lines. He stayed on the phone checking to see if it was better as he checked different points on the line. He said he found something and everything came back on and the TV cleared up. He had me to reset everything and our speed and signal looked good. All seemed to be going well. But during the night the phone and internet went off and on over and over as was evident by having to get up and go downstairs to keep resetting the beeping alarm system. By morning it was all out again completely. At least at this point I had a number to call someone directly that would come out. I called David again and he came out and worked on the lines and they again seemed to be fixed… until about 11:00 pm, when it started cutting off and on about every ½ hour to one hour. It went out completely around 3:30 am.

July 16th
    I again called David and he came out and worked on the lines and by the time I got home at 3:30 it was on again.

July 17th
    All of it was fine until 6:00 am on July 17th when it all went out again. I called David and he came out to work on it. When I got home at 3:30 it was all working again.

July 18th,
    Friday the phone, internet and TV were working when I got up that morning and left for work. Around 10:00 am I got a call from my neighbor saying it had all just went out again. I called David and told him it was out again. He said they were working on a big project and couldn’t come out right then. He had told me earlier that July 18th was his last day until August 6th so I knew that was our last chance to get someone out that knew the problem. I reminded him of that and he said there were other people that could work on it when he was out and that he couldn’t come out. I said ok, because there was nothing else I could do. David called back to my cell phone about 5 minutes later and said he was on his way to fix it. He asked if I was positive that mine was out as well as my neighbors. I told him that the last 50 times it had went out they had went out at the same time so I was positive. Still, after I hung up the phone I left work again to go home and be sure it was out. As usual internet and phone were out and TV was fuzzy. I called to confirm to him that it was out as I had said. I stayed as long as I could so he could call back to see if anything had came on. I left my house at 1:00 and it was not on. He was working about ¾ of a mile from my house at that point on the lines. When I got home at 3:30 it was all on again. We were gone on Friday night (still the 18th) about 8:00 pm and got a call from the neighbors that it was out again. When we got home around 1:00 that night the phone, internet was out and the TV was fuzzy. The service department had assured our neighbor that it would be fixed between 2-4 hours so we did not call that night.

July 19th
    Saturday, it was still not on when we got up so we called corporate offices at 9:30. After going through the story once again they insisted on scheduling a technician to come to our home. We tried to explain that they had done that at least 6 times already and there was no use sending anyone to our home and making us wait for them for 5 more hours, but they wouldn’t do any other way. So again we canceled plans with our family to sit and wait on Charter cable. They were scheduled from 1:00-5:00. At around 3:00 pm my husband called the number to see if they had actually scheduled the tech to come out, because we knew from the past that they sometimes don’t schedule them when they say they will. The automated number said that Charter was scheduled to send out a tech on July 22. My husband called the local number then to speak to someone and see when they were actually scheduled. The person on the phone said that it was scheduled that day, (19th) from 1-5 and that the automated answer was incorrect. So we continued to wait. 5:00 pm came and went, finally at 5:50 my husband called again. They said they would get someone out soon. We had sat for another 6 hours for no reason. After 6:00 pm sometime a technician came to the door. He checked the house and the wiring inside and outside. He determined that the problem was not in our house and he would check the lines up the road. We told him we knew it wasn’t in the house and that the neighbor’s was out too. He had not been told that of course. He left to work on the lines. About 3 hours later the phone and internet came on (around 8-9 pm). It stayed on for part of the night and went out again but then came back on about 6:00am the next morning. (July 20th)

July 20
    The phone and internet and TV have been on since around 6 this morning. It disconnected us from the internet once around 7:00 pm but came right back on. Everything is working for the moment.

July21
    Internet, phone and TV are on this morning. Although at 9:00 am a charter technician came to our door on a service call. I told him that they sent someone out on Saturday and no one was scheduled to come today. I also told him that it was on right then but I was sure it would go out before the day was out and could I have his supervisor’s name and number so I could call when it went out. He gave me the name and asked if he could check the lines while he was there and I told him that was fine. That is where we are at this minute. We have cable TV, internet and phone. I don’t expect it to last long.

These details do not include the countless other calls that we have put into Charter. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 different people before you can get across what the problem is. Every phone call is 20 – 45 minutes. The calls to corporate are not toll free and we have had hours and hours of those. We are just one of at least 2 houses going through the same problems. Charter doesn’t care.

I DO ON THE OTHER HAND CARE A LOT. I care that we have been treated this way by Charter. I care that my daughter’s medical problem is still not an important consideration for Charter. I also care about all the other people who could get trapped in this same situation. I care about the time my husband and I have lost of our 3 days a week together dealing with these constant problems. I care so much that I will promise you that I am doing everything I possibly can to get word out of just how good your service is. I am telling everyone I meet. I am putting this on every internet site I can find. When we’re playing a game on line and the internet disconnects us, we always make sure to type in, “I’m sorry, I have Charter internet and that is why it disconnects constantly.” Even when Charter internet is “working” I usually get to do this about every 5 – 10 minutes. In this way I can get the word across to hundreds of people a day. I do not miss an opportunity to share my experience with everyone. Interestingly, I am finding as I try to inform the public that many other people are having similar problems. I care enough that I am going to send this to as many people as I can as well as the FCC. I want Charter to know and remember that someone cares.

• Te
    Teresa Jul 22, 2008

June 15, 2017

June 17,

June 18,
    No tech came that evening. No dispatcher called to schedule as we were told.

June 19th

June 20th,
    It is 1:30 am, June 20, Friday, our phone and internet just came on.

June 21st or 22nd- I have lost count at this point.

June 21st

June 23rd

June 24th
    It was not fixed that night.

June 25th
    It was not fixed the next day. More calls to Charter, more time wasted.

June 26, 2017

July 20

July21

• To
    Tommy Cupples Jun 22, 2008

I have been a customer with Charter Internet for many years. Although I have had some problems with their connection, I was able to get them to finally address my problem. However, this time they shut off my email addresses. I have never been late on a payment. I have spoken with more than one representative including a supervisor and have discovered that somehow Charter assigned my email addresses to another account and it has been that way for five years or so. I would never have known this except the other customer canceled his Internet service. Charter refuses to reinstate my email addresses without the permission of the other customer. I do not know the other customer and have no connection with them at all. This problem was created by Charter but I am having to pay the price of no longer having the use of my email addresses that I use both for business and home. It is impossible to notify everyone that has my email address to have them to change to another one. I believe that they should restore my email addresses and if not, I should be compensated for paying for a service during the past five years that I have not been receiving. I would appreciate anything that could be done on my behalf because I am unable to get any cooperation from Charter. I am no longer using Charter's email service because they cannot be trusted. I am having to use a hotmail account.

• Valerie Jun 04, 2008

I have Charter Communications and I think they are going to yank channel eight and my TV 9 from its channel line-up in July.

Charter is unreasonable their prices are high and their customer service is horrible.

Now as of the beginning of July there is not going to be any local news programs in my area where I live.

If a deal cannot be reached that’s that.

They have a lot of nerve taking away local television especially news.

Apparently they are very greedy at Charter and cannot be reasoned with.

I hope the people that live in my area realize they might not have local news anymore thanks to Charter.

• Ka
    karen smith May 25, 2008

Initial call was to install internet service, representative stated that their cable was equivalently to Dish network, so I decided to switch. When they installed the internet and new cable, only one remote was provided for my televisions. I have four TV's in my home and have a disability with my hands so that night was very difficult for me when I moved to my bedroom to watch my nightly shows. I called the next day and was informed that I would be charged $5 for each additional remote for my TV's. Well this was not going to work so I told them I wanted the internet but instructed them to come pick up their equipment for the cable. I could not use their service and wanted a refund of my $130.00 since I had he service for all of thirteen hours. Well, when the technician entered my home (and he was pissed) he yanked the box from my television disconnecting my speakers, glared at me when I said something to him about it, then slammed the door on his way out. He climbed the electrical pole in the rear of my house and disconnected my internet as well as the cable. Charter then sent me a letter listing at least ten (10) items that I was to return or be sued. I contacted Charter, informed them that their unprofessional employee took the equipment when he came to disconnect me and removed the internet, which I wanted. I was then informed that I would not be refunded since I ordered it, I got it. I have not bee refunded to this date and feel the general public needs to know what kind of service Charter Communications is peddling to the general public.

Thomas McKirdy May 23, 2008

I have applied several times to Charter Communication fora position and I have been only interviewed twice. and I have applied for various positions and I keep getting turned down but I am never told why. I can be the best person they ever hire but they will not even try me out.

• Valerie May 08, 2008

I called charter to change an appointment. However, since the rep said I wasn't listed on the account I couldn't make any changes. They let me make changes in the first place, the reason the technician was coming out. So the csr explained that the tech would come out but couldn't make changes because the changes shouldn't have been authorized and I couldn't change the appointment. All the csr could say was that she was sorry and would not answer any questions and told me that I wasn't listening to her and then hung up on me. Alice should not be working anywhere if she has to deal with the public.

• Valerie Apr 30, 2008

Charter communications is a fairly large company that has a serious issue with proper customer service. I have spent the past 30 days trying to get DVR service. It all started on March 27th with an initial call to change my service to Charter. While on the phone setting up my service I was not told by the representative that they were out of HD DVR's and had no idea when they could get another shipment.

The install tech showed up at my door and just said sorry. I immediately called cust service. I was 'guaranteed' to have an HD DVR in 30 days as I was on a 'list'. On the 27th day I decided to call in to check my status on the supposed 'list'. It took 3 calls, all answered by people in different countries around the world. The last one told me that the system update said that I would be able to get a DVR in SEPTEMBER!

I decided to go ahead and let them install one of the troublesome MOXI DVR's. The tech left without properly provisioning the box so I have sat here for three more days with a non functioning DVR. This is topped off by them cancelling my appointment today because the called the wrong number instead of my mobile. Charter has no concern for their customers. If there were ever a class action lawsuit against them I would be first in line to try and recoup the time that I've wasted trying to get my service setup that I have to PAY them for.

I have been on 13 calls over the past month each averaging over 40 minutes. I have had 6 service calls to my house in 30 days and have had to take time off from work for each.

• J
    J Mar 07, 2008

Your social was used for the Charter cable...

and usually you would of known someone at the address who DID have cable in your name...

an ex husband/boyfriend..family member...

so get all the info you can, and start your own investigation(talk to your ex's and family)

Last thing you wanna do is get mad at the collection agency. they are merely doing their job and collecting on behalf of Charter Cable

• Ih
    I HAVE A LIFE Jan 31, 2008

All you people complaining need to get a life. Charter is a business and just like all companies it exisit and provides a service to make money. HELLO Charter is not a charity. Pay your bills and stop complaining or cancel your service. DAMN!!!

• Pa
    Pauline Marty Jan 08, 2008

How come Charter can keep increasing rates? You get a promotion rate then all of a sudden your rates increase horribly. Is there a ceiling on this and if not it needs one fast or it will result in more and more people canceling. Only problem there is tv (cable), and internet won't work nowadays without cable. I am not that old but I sure feel for the elderly people who don't understand this. And TV's are now sold for cable hook up what happened to the old days? I am a very frustrated consumer and something should be done about this soon. Such a greedy world we now live in.
    I am now checking different options. Please help.

Thiru Nov 10, 2007

That is 100% correct. Same thing happened to me. I have ordered thru online. They offered around $15/month for 6months, $50 cash back also I have opted for self installation. But there is no possibilities to self installation or they won't allow us to install by ourself. If they hooked up to our cable line, we can do self installation. but they didn't allow it. Also, I have purchased modem when I order thru online. But they again added charges in my billing. They told they can give only $29.99/12months offer now. But I have received bill around $40. If I asked the customer service, they told me that since I have only one service (Internet), they will charge me $10 more. They never told this about me. They are now telling "See conditions apply section while ordering". When we start to contact customer service, they will transfer for at least 4 or 5 persons, each will ask all the details about me then transfer to another.

• Br
    BRENDA THOMAS Nov 08, 2007

I received a bill from Afnicollections for a total of 70.78. I do not owe this bill. at his has never been my address as they have me listed on pikeville ave. in Graysville, Tennessee. I do not know how they got my ssn. They have me listed on the letter as Brenda Thompson, that has never been my name ever. I am sick of their harassment. I refuse to pay for something I do not owe and especially at an address that does not belong to me. I have contacted them by phone and cannot get anywhere with them.

Chris Fuller Sep 07, 2007

We have had problems with our service for a month and a half. Lack of channels and lack of customer service.We had our service cut, when the service men came to install the neighbors cable. We called Charter Communications they said that there was a power outage. During the time they told me this I was watching my neighbor enjoy their tv watching. Called the next morning, they set up an appointment and the service men sat in the truck talking on their damn phone. Now they want us to wait two more days without service while they come and sit around again. I have already contact FCC on Charter Communications regarding this issue. Please other cable companies need to expand and put this worthless company out of business.

• Be
    Ben Paul Gilmore Mar 13, 2007

I have just experience the worst customer service I have every encountered!
    I changed some of my services in January to better meet my needs. I was quoted prices for the reduce services, however, in March when I got a full bill I discovered I was being over charged by $21 so I attempted to contact Charter Customer Service and get it corrected.

* I had two online chat secessions only to find that they can't reduce services. They can only increase your bill.
    * I called in 5 times on three different numbers
    * I was automatically disconnected 9 times while on hold or being transfered
    * I was transferred a total of 12 times
    * I talked to 6 people and the sixth person (Jeanie in billing) refused to let me talk to a supervisor.

After two hours and seventeen min. in the telecom pit of darkness I got my $21 dollars back and my account corrected. Several time I started to just go outside and take my wire cutters to the cable.

Words can’t describe how angry I am at Charter Communications. If there is some governmental commission I can report this too I will be doing so.