CdearthScam and rip off!

Yes I am a sucker, cdearth.com will offer you a free cd program and two other cd's what they don't tell you is that once you confirm the order you also are signing up for their cd of the month club. If you don't return the extra cd's by the 28 day time period, your card is charged $29.98. Cdearth stuff is not free, and they use black marketing techniques to legally steal 30 bucks. stay away If you want Nyu there are other download sites available, they may not be free, but their cheaper than $29.98. If you get charged the money there is nothing you can do, because its outlined in their terms and conditions (which most people should read, but don't). Just cancel your 'membership' with them as soon as possible, otherwise you get more un-free cd's in your mailbox.

• Updated by creighton best · Nov 30, 2019

cdearth software will not load

• Updated by creighton best · Nov 30, 2019

my complaint is shown above

• Updated by creighton best · Nov 30, 2019

cannot load software set on mycomputer

• Updated by creighton best · Nov 30, 2019

will not accept my complaint

Joe Freak Jan 18, 2008

I loved CD Earth. One of the Best companies ever!!!!!! They have the best customer service. I sent 10 e-mails and all of them were replied to with in an hour and they did everything I asked. This is very very wrong. It is a sinmple program to follow don't be stupid and read things before you buy!!! All in all I love CD Earth.

• Ju
    JustHelping Jan 20, 2008

Check out this blog post which explains a lot more:

Also, leave a comment on their blog as it will help spread the word.

• R
    R Jan 25, 2008

I had the same think happen to me. I was stupid enough to order one CD from them that came with three more FREE CD's and, I admit, did not pay enough attention to their terms and conditions. Very bad thing - as it turned out. Not only did they charge my credit card $29.98 but I ended up with three other softwares that I haven't even used and I 'll probably never use. There's obviously nothing free on this planet anymore and you end up paying deeply for your stupidity. What a rip off! Very bad way to do business...

• Bo
    Bob the builder Jan 31, 2008

I love cd earth aswell. They have provided me with plenty of software to further my collection which is always in need of more software. I think you guys are all illiterate and stupid for not reading what you sign up for. You are incompetent for entering your credit card information in before reading the terms and conditions, aka you are dumb!

• Pi
    Pissed Feb 26, 2008

I literally just got RIPPED OFF from CD EARTH. It's sad they have to use these techniques to RIP people OFF.

But, what comes around goes around and the same way they've dealt with their customers is the same way they'll be dealt with. There business is going to flop this year that's for sure!!! and then of ALL things they offer BIBLE SOFTWARE... what a joke!

BTW: CD Earth people aren't suppose comment on this page. You don't count.

• Pi
    Pissed Feb 26, 2008

BTW: CD Earth people aren't suppose comment on this page. You don't count!

• He
    H. edwards Jun 03, 2008

Ordered cd's on trial basis to purchse 2 cd's. Charged $14.95 then found additional unauthorized charges of $59.00 and $5.95, then received another set of cd's in the mail.
    DO NOT Make a credit card purchase with this scam of a company!

John Doe Jun 11, 2008

If you look closely at the software they are offering to send you on CD you will see that they are free programs you can download off the internet from 'their' perspective 'legal' sites.

The names CD EARTH are giving for the software are deceiving, for example;

Secure Email = Thunderbird™ - which is free.
    Photo & Image Studio = Gimp - which is free.
    Desktop Publishing Studio = Scribus - which is free.
    Video Editing Studio = VirtualDub - which is free.
    Music Editing Studio = Audacity® - which is free.
    Animation Studio = Blender - which is free.

Etc...etc...etc

I think it would be a good idea to write letters to the copyright owners and designers of these programs to let them know of the shady practices of CD EARTH.

This is absolutely a ripoff scheme.

• Cd
    CDEarth SUCKS Dec 03, 2008

Rip off indeed. Go to hell CDEarth! They are ### and exist only profit off of peoples trust that they are a legit business. No one would want to "join" a software club that provides (free) software so they have to hide the fact that you are ripping people off.

No one in their right mind would think positively about this rip off strategy. The positive responses on here are clearly from the ### at CDEarth themselves.

• Hu
    hunty Jan 06, 2009

This CdEarth scam is spreading around the world. I live in England and have been suckered in. My account has had an unathorised amount debited. The origonal Free CD's I ordered are crap, and I didn't return them with the 25 day. Now My account is being plundered. Anyone out there got a suggetions on how to put an end to this rip-off.

Rgds

Hunty

• Ra
    Ram Mar 23, 2009

Yes, its a scam alright.. Found out too late though..
    Now I have cancelled my credit card and requested a new one.. Hope this prevents these scums from charging my account..

• Dc
    dcsmbear Nov 16, 2009

Scam??? I believe this business needs a little more understanding of their customers. Remember word of mouth can hurt more than a small return payment... I just called to cancel & return some CDs that where sent to my grandson not to me not even a statement. I finally caught up with them and they will not credit my account for last months CDs which weren't even opened. They wouldn't even communicate in a positive way. I explained to them they had the wrong address which caused delay in delivery. Said it was my fault that is what I wrote on the order. Ya right! Don't believe that. Supervisor was not very helpful and refused to help me with my credit. Will be watching this for the next few months on my credit card. Grandson's Nana

• Ro
    rodney anderson Nov 19, 2009

i have had the same problems and canceled the subscription that i did not know i had signed up for and they still charge my card $64.75 i cant contact them so they are nothing but common criminals 'thieves!

• Cd
    cdearthscam Nov 24, 2009

Cdearth is a scam. They don't even send you emails or anything to tell you when there going to charge you for the cds. I was unaware when I was getting charged. I didn't even know that I joined there scam cd club. But I learned from them to always carefully read what I sign up for because I never knew that I can get myself into such a big scam. And I've learned from them that nothing is free. Most likely the word free means rip off and especially on sites like cdearth. But I've learned my lesson thanks to them for future scams. Thanks cdearth for ripping me off.

• Ku
    kushtibok Dec 05, 2009

Same here in UK Too they are nothing but theives

• Rs
    Rsty Dec 17, 2009

CD Earth is a definite CROOK and everyone should turn them into the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU

• Fl
    Flycop Dec 20, 2009

If they have a good product why do they have to use underhand tactics. Yes it's a scam and yes they are criminals. NEVER TOUCH CD PLANET.

• Mi
    Miss Ignorance Feb 13, 2010

I was one of the same idiots that signed up for the free cd and now they are charging me £35-00 to £45-00 per month for other cds that I dont want absoloute rip off

• To
    Tom hill Feb 23, 2010

does anyone know how to cancel this membership so they dont send any more cds and how many of the four cds do you have to return within 25 days to avoid any payments

MHL Mar 18, 2010

After being charged £41.00 for items not wanted or received, I contacted cdearth and was informed that they do not do refunds, however after 2 phone calls and several emails I got a refund and cancelled membership by threatening legal action. This company is a RIP OFF. They offer cds first but if you persist they will refund

MHL Mar 18, 2010

Contact email address on cdearth web site they will acknowledge and list some phone numbers

MHL Mar 18, 2010

I have noticed on my credit card bill cdearth payment has an American telephone listed along side starting 0808

Annig Mar 26, 2010

CD earth have taken money from my account for CDs neither asked for or received.Annie G UK

MHL Mar 27, 2010

I got a refund by contacting them on cdearth.com and by telephone on0808-1011722 also threaten with legal action and cancel membership

• St
    starconone May 14, 2010

CD Earth presents itself as a distributor of free software, doing the good work of making software available to the masses. Their terms do not tell you they will continue to send you unordered software every 7 weeks and charge you $30 each time they do. As soon as you receive your "free" CDs, carefully open the envelope, remove the statement with your customer account # - you can't call it a billing statement since they don't indicate any charge on it. Call the number and tell the nice Indian person on the other end of the line you wish to return your software and cancel your account. Do not delay or you will be billed, and billed, and billed...

Don't be a victim!!!

• El
    elect Jul 10, 2010

Thanks to all of you for your comments -- bad and good! You just saved me from being one of their suckers! And a special thank you to this "Complaints Board" site; and also to "Unhandled Perception" at http://www.veign.com/blog/2007/10/14/cdearth-thinkall-one-big-scam/ EG

• Mi
    middy54 Aug 11, 2010

yes well they are what you all say they are (CROOKS) I don't even remember giving my card details. $65.oo is money I really don't have, and it was accessed through paypal (not thier fault) I am so angry grrrrrrrr. So don't go there.

• De
    Denzil Stirling Sep 05, 2010

Any internet shoppers of CD programs, take my advice - do not participate in the current CD Earth cd offers. This company has a long history of trading under different business identities. It is at present offering to send you a trial CD package of compatible MS word software and assortment of games and other programs. Do not fall for their scam. They will keep on sending you further consignments of CD, which are defective, unrequested and unfit for normal PC use. They will also charge you for postage and goods sent to you. Postage, CD Earth claim is not refundable, when you return the unwanted items. Do not get sucked into this company's illegal business practices. I am surprised that the US legal system has not prosecuted this well known company, which has a long list of consumer complaints against its operation.

• Fr
    frenchjav Mar 09, 2011

Wow I feel sorry for anyone who actually signed up for CD Earth. All of the software is open source which means its free anyway their creative suite is GIMP and yes it is award winning but you can down load it for free with no strings attached at gimp.org their office suite was developed by SUN Microsystems again free to any one who wants it and again a great free program that can be downloaded at openoffice.org

marlene cunningham-efford Sep 20, 2011

I first got a free CD then they charged me $30.05 for other cd's i never got I emailed them they also charged me $5.09 which they returned saying they have entered other cd's returned but they will not give me back my money then they said the $30.05 was not excepted from my visa I asked them for a fax number so I could send them a copy of my visa showing it did come off. this has been going on for a long time the last email I sent they did not even answer it. I could get a lawyer but it would cost me more for his fee and I am a retired lady on a fixed income. . they even offerred me more cd's what a scam what should I do to get my money back I have seen so many complaints about this company ...my email is [email protected] thank you

• Wo
    Working Class Man Jun 13, 2012

Hi had initially agreed to pay for a pack of CD Earth:
    Bible Library & Reference Guide
    Study the Bible Deluxe Edition
    10, 001 Greatest Recipes
    Design Your Dream House 3D
    Total:$29.98
    The next month I received another pack that I had not requested of double the first amount.
    When I called to request that I did not want the second pack they told me that I have not sent the pack back in 15days and am liable.

I will never do any business with CD earth again becaue they did not want to understand why I could not send the pack back in time...

• Ly
    lynns complint Aug 13, 2012

to who listens to me. i got the cd"s from cd-earth when i order them i though they where $1.99 i think. i am so hurt and mad at the same time. when i got them i seen it was a club thing. i knew what that meant a rip off. so i called them and talked to a woman. i told her i called to cancel the offer. i asked her how do i send the cd's back she said i didn't have to they where mine for thing them out i told her thank you. she said she stopped my member ship. then i thought about it so i sent an e-mail to them telling them i wanted to cancel my member ship and the woman i talked to told me to keep the cd's. so saturday i came home from my sisters house and checked my e-mail and there was an e-mail from my pay pal charging me $29.98 for cd's from them. i called them and the woman was so rude. she told me i did'nt talk to anyone on the phone she also told me they sent me an e-mail telling me to sent the tapes back. i didn't get the e-mail. i told her i wanted to talk to someone over her she put me on hold then someone picked up the phone and hung up. then i got real mad and called back. this time i talked to a man. he called me a lie saying i didn't talk to anyone on the phone either and said i did recive the e-mail. well when i asked to speak to someone over him he said i couldn't. well by then i was boiling so i hung up. well a little while i got a e-mail from someone from someone over them saying they could not give me a refund they did'nt give refunds but they didn't want me to be unhappy with there survices so he told me to go to their

• Ly
    lynns complint Aug 19, 2012

YES I WAS TARGETED BY THEM TO. AND BECAUSE OF MY STUPIDNESS . I WAS RIPPED OFF FOR $29.98. AFTER I GOT THE TAPES . THE LADY I TALKED TO WAS SUPPOSE TO CANCEL MINE THEN TOLD ME TO KEEP THE TAPES. WELL THEY TOOK THE MONEY FROM MY PAY PAL. I SEEN IT ON MY E-MAIL.WELL I CALL THEM TWICE AND WAS TALKED TO RUDE. ONE WOMEN HUNG UP OM ME SHE WOULDN`T TALK TO ME. I CALLED BACK THIS MAN WAS SO RUDE TO ME I HUNG UP ON HIM. WELL A LITTLE WHILE I GOT A E-MAIL FROM A MAN SAYING HE WAS SORRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPEN. HE SAID HE COULD`T GIVE MY MONEY BACK BUT HE WOULD GIVE ME TWO CD`S FREE NO SHIPPING AND HANDLEING . I TOLD HIM THAT I DRAWED SSI AND NEEDED MY MONEY BUT HE SAID THEY DIDN`T GIVE REFUNDS. SO I WANT TO LET EVERYONE TO KNOW THRY ARE RIP-OFFS. SO DON`T FALL FOR THEIR AD`S THANK YOU LYNN

• Bj
    B. John Walker Oct 23, 2012

I B.John Walker am having direct debits from my credit card every two weeks after i ordered a one off order last month

• Si
    sillerybooks Apr 14, 2014

Having read all the above complaints I am entirely in agreement about the deception being carried out by CDEarth.
    I believe that the software supplied is not good value.
    Plus the exchange rate from dollars to pounds has not been beneficial to me.

I will be cancelling asap after I have read the procedure which seems unduly complicated and obviously intend to one tied to this ritual.

• Pa
    paul eshelman May 01, 2015

stole money out of my checking they need to put it back

• Gf
    G.F. de Necker Jul 13, 2016

I have ordered the Bible CD, with which they catch you, (which I never received) but a lot of other stuff on two occasions (two months consecutively, and now, not received yet for a third time which has just been deducted from my banking account) I now instruct you to stop this scamming nonsense with immidiate effect. I have also instructed the Bank to stop all tenders like this in future.

• Bm
    bmacd48 Jul 13, 2016

Hi, .
    i brought a CD pack from CD Earth about a year ago and now they have been taking numerous amounts of money out of my bank. CD Earth said this was stop over a month ago and then in started again I don't want it anymore. They are putting me in dept and cant even put food in my house and feed my kids. i would like my money back as i have not received bill or a call or anything.

• Cr
    creighton best Dec 08, 2019

my computer is an acer with an intel core 15 8 th gen and is about 2 years old .I do not know the age of the software 4 disc set.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices