Care.com Incillegal activity: background checks

A

Good Day,

I was a prospective employee through this site for a Nanny, Caregiver, Housekeeper, and Pet Sitter positions. After a period of no activity of all my numerous applications to jobs I received a form email that I was being suspended from the site. The email stated the reason being they did a background check and found information. Mind you this information was a court case where I was never served, arrested, charged, or even requested to appear in court. The court records and their background screening service Axciom report the case was dissolved and that I was never charged with anything and again never even served or arrested!

After a long time of internet research to find an actual phone number for Care.com (unbelievable!) I spoke with their customer service rep who told me they suspend any ones account with any information on background history no matter what the circumstances are and that is their policy. This policy was also stated in their "canned" email. I could not speak with anyone else regarding this issue and had tried to reach management to further discuss this with them. Additionally management did not call me back nor respond to the email I sent them.

This is a violation of the Employment Commission; per their Title VII (paraphrasing) no company can make blanket discrimination in regards to a background check. Even though they are a caregiver site they must prove why they disqualified someone for potential employment, upon their review of the background check! They do not even take the time to even look over these reports, only just to disqualify either a potential employee or employer from their site, though this is breaking the law. Really sad for the paying customer!

In these tough economic situations so many people have had to apply to any type of job just to help feed their family. My desire is to see every person get a fair shake to find any job, especially in these times. You would think Care.Com would CARE about this devastating national unemployment and its effects on the families.

I am very interested in anyone who has experienced this same issue with them and I would ask that you please join my group.

FYI the phone number for Care.Com is [protected] :-)

AJ

• Mi
    Mike at Care.com Oct 14, 2010

AJ-
    This is Mike from Care.com. I am sorry for the frustrations you have experienced in using our website. Care.com is a private community that allows for families in need of help to connect with people who provide those services; Care.com is not an employer of caregivers.
    We hold the right to remove anyone in the Care.com community at anytime, for any reason. You seem to be very passionate about background checks and have commented about background check practices of other companies on ComplaintsBoard. If you were removed from our community because of a background check, you would have received a message from Acxiom, our background check provider, with information about the results and potential options. We can assure you that our background check process is completely FCRA compliant.
    We are sorry about your concern and would like you to contact us if you would like to discuss this further. Our Member Care team can be reached at (877) 227-3115, M-F 10a-7p EST. Anyone is available to request a conversation with a manager.
    Best of luck in your job search,
    Mike

• Aj
    AJay Oct 14, 2010

Mike,
    Your designation that you are not an employer is in Serious question, as you are pulling credit reports under Federal guidelines of permissible purpose for employment, and not a "Connection Service"!!! Sounds like a big Federal legal permissible purpose violation to me! and it seems that your companies business definition is a “Kay –sir-rah” manner!
    I did contact your customer service and Acxiom originally. My complaint was addressed in an inappropriate business manner with your customer service department, which was a great waste of my time. I got the ridiculous response that any notation on a national background check, whether negative or not, Care.com immediately removes them from the site. No questions asked …….final answer. (OMG!)
    I had stated to your department that Axciom’s report revealed I have NO criminal record, have Not been arrested, Not charged or even Served in this case. Axciom DID report this correctly and gave this same information to Care.com. It was simply a case opened and closed by both the courts and the plaintiff. Yet Care.com just eliminates anyone instantly without regard to a valid reason. You have a mandate to investigate this, by EEOC regulations and your site states your “Mom force” also takes this responsibility. They would Not return my call nor would customer service let me even speak with them.
    I am not debating you’re compliancy of Care.com with regards to the background check. Yet I am appalled that Care.com is making blanket decisions and company policies to discriminate against anyone who like me only has a public record that is in no way negative!! You have totally misunderstood my complaint and not addressed this issue. I doubt seriously if you or anyone at Care.com would find it acceptable if a company handled yourselves in this manner.
    This is WRONG, discriminatory, and incompetent business practices to treat anyone as such, especially with our countries horrendous unemployment rate and economic demise. It is pure laziness and unprofessional not to address these issues properly and call it company policy! This is the nature of my complaint that you have not addressed!
    In the normal company customer satisfaction is of number one concern and policies are dictated regarding this standard.
    As far as your company and or customer service phone number it is NOT listed on your site………again (hint, hint).
    The many complaints on this Complaint Board consistently reveal your unethical company policies.
    Ajay

• Ge
    Gemini2 Jul 12, 2017

@AJay Hi Ajay...you wrote this a long time ago, but I just saw it. I'm seriously considering suing Care.com and many people, by the way have done so. Can you reply to this note I just wrote you. I too, have had much trouble with Care.com and I am going to do something about it. Please contact me by replying to this. Thanks Ajay

Ange_1234 Sep 19, 2017

@Gemini2 Hello-
    I just received an email tonight for possible suspension.
    I DID have an underage drinking charge from 2012 as a child who was just shy of 21, that should be dismissed at this point (5 years).
    I have also been a member of this site for years and have never had this issue- seems a bit out of order to me if anything.
    I believe that if the client/parent requests a background- they can and proceed to ask any additional questions if concern arises. Keep in mind this again is from 5 years ago and I am a nursing student at a religious college (with this being my only form of income currently).
    What are your thoughts? I will be calling them tomorrow to see what I can work out.
    I also just renewed my $45.00 3 month membership a couple of weeks ago.
    Does anyone know how long the suspension is or if it is permanent?

Best of luck to anyone else having issues with Care.
    Thanks!

• Rh
    RHall7580 Feb 04, 2020

@AJay Yes Ajay!!! I never even got an email from Axicom! I was just removed!!! After I had many families I worked with from there! I don’t know what information they could’ve ran without my knowledge because I didn’t even get a report of my background check. Just removed and banned indefinitely!!!

• Mi
    Mike Jakester Apr 10, 2012

Totally agree with you Ajay. I'm a man in my 30's, single father of 2 kids. I'm very ill, yet have full Physical custody of my children and in need of care.

I joined the site in attempts to get some help in my home with my kids. I was the victim of domestic violence years ago and my spouse was arrested. I had a restraining order against her. Public records show both me and her with these restraining orders, as hers was filed in retaliation. However, if one were to look at the dates, they would see mine was filed and awarded months ahead of hers. People do this in domestic situations all of the time to make themselves look better in the public eye. In my case, I am paying the price for something I did not do.

This is reverse discrimination at it's best. Care.com Caregivers are terrible anyhow. They are mostly 18-19 years old. They come in your home and steal from you, they are out partying with their friends all the time, etc. Best to find a more reputable site with older, more mature people.

Mike

• So
    soleil2020 Apr 21, 2012

I have been a member of Care.com since last fall as I am a former teacher, now a grad student looking for childcare positions to supplement my income. I had not had any luck finding any jobs with them. I still was checking and keeping my mind open to working as a caregiver.
    Tonight, though, Saturday evening about 8 pm, I received this very bizarre email from Care.com saying they "We are writing to inform you that we recently received information that impacts your membership on Care.com. Upon review of this information, and for safety and security reasons, we have decided to discontinue your membership. "

HUH????????????????

I have no criminal record and I have broken no rules of Care.com. Having been a teacher for 8 years before now, I've been through a couple of professional criminal back ground checks in addition to the one done by Care.com.

I find this very strange that I would get this email on a Saturday evening when the web site states they only have office hours M-F.
    It's very disconcerting to receive this strange email from them essentially saying they have something on me but not saying what it is. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what in the world they could be talking about. I've gone from asking if it's because I got a traffic ticket a year and a half ago or did someone call and make some sort of false report about me, thus slandering my reputation. ( I noticed recently that the daughter of a former friend is also trying to find nanny jobs in my town, so I even suspected that my former friend could have called to say bad things about me to get rid of some of her daughter's competition. This is how paranoid it's making me.)

I really don't care if Care.com wants to cancel my membership. They were never that useful to me anyway, but I think if someone is accusing me of something, I deserve ( as anyone would) to know what the heck is being said about me.

It's not the loss of the membership that has me upset, but the wording " we recently received information that impacts your membership on Care.com. Upon review of this information, and for safety and security reasons, we have decided to discontinue your membership" is VERY upsetting. What in the world are they talking about?

I've read a lot of the complaints above and I'm thinking I probably will never know exactly what it is they are accusing me of.

Has anyone else ever received this kind of strange email from Care.com?

Kristen Schlemmer Jul 26, 2012

Hi soleil2020, I am a Member care representative from Care.com. I do apologize for your experience on our site. As a member-based, online community we do reserve the right to terminate accounts for any reason or no reason. We do have a list of common reasons why an account would be removed, and that’s located on our website. Due to our privacy policy, we cannot release specific details as to why a specific account has been closed. I do apologize for your experience and we appreciate your understanding. We wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.

• Ra
    rameng Aug 06, 2012

Did you delete all of the collected data, including name, address? What is the evidence that you did erase all personal information? It is a pathetic web site. Get a life.

• Ra
    rameng Aug 06, 2012

This is the worst company so far I registered and then within a day my account terminated with no specific reason.

I would request everyone to abandon this company. They got my personal information. I suspect this unethical company would use my personal information for their own interest.

• Cv
    C. V. Miles Sep 01, 2012

I am highly upset with Care.com. I merely wanted to write a review at the Care.com web site for my friend who was seeking a spostion as a child care provider. In order to do so, my friend asked that I become a member of Care.com, which I was very hesitant about doing due to her negative experiences with the company (and mine also because of her involvement with them). I went ahead and did it anyway just to help her out, then discovered that I had to become a paying member in order to write a review for her. I was not about to give Care.com any of my credit card information, so I could not do this for her. Anyway, I had to pose as someone looking for some type of caregiver and I made it quite clear to Care.com through emails that I was not interested in finding anyone to hire for child care or a pet sitter--I merely wanted to help out my friend. I was shocked this evening to find out that they ran a background check on me without my permission. My background contains some very personal information that is very confidential to me due to a one-time incident that involved misdemeanor charges against me. Without my permission or knowledge, they did this to me and I merely was trying to help out my friend by writing a review for her. I did not think that background checks can be performed without consent.

tinktink9893 Sep 09, 2012

I received a similar email from them today 9-9-12, 2:30pm also on a Sunday, [weekend-they are supposed to be closed, I know I called them immediately]. I referred to their site but can find no information on common reasons why they can close your account, only that they can-FOR ANY REASON AND AT ANY TIME!
    In order to attend my C.N.A school I had to get a state background check, which I did and I paid $25.00 to the state office. Then I applied for a grant and in order to receive that they ran a national background check on me. I had letters from some well known physicians recommending me for this program. All of these checks were clean and proper, my code of ethics is beyond reproach . Otherwise, I would not have been given the much sought after government grant nor allowed to attend school. I stated my background check status information in my profile. Thus "cheating" Care.com out of a fee from me, I would NOT have to pay them for another background check. Nor would any potential employer need to pay an additional fee to them. I have a copy of my state background check. Plus my counselor gave me a copy of my national background check. Neither of them are over three months old.
    I had planned to do some part time senior care while I pursued more involved medical training. I thought that Care.com would be a good potential employment connection. I was incorrect! It seems that everyone wants money and offers little or no service without it. I guess that Care.com really does NOT offer a basic membership. You have to pay them one way or another.
    I find this whole thing insulting and degrading. I have actually referred some of my friends to this site as potential employees. Plus, Care now has allot of my personal and private information, my likes and dislikes and so forth.
    I know better now. Maybe you will not make the same mistakes, avoid Care.com.There may be other like companies who prey on the public so be very careful.

• Ai
    Aison Sep 21, 2012

I'm very upset because, this care.com inc site should be closed down. They treat people disrespectful, ugly, unkind, they are unprofessional, immature, liers. Make excuses for their wrong behaviour. Tells the people that this is their policy to terminate or close their files without notice. Or without any reason. Then these women say it's the law in MA to close or terminate, your membership from their site. That's a lame excuse to treat people. Ugly. All 14 people need to have the care.com site closed down for good.Aison

tinktink9893 Sep 24, 2012

I concur.

ann arbor michigan II Oct 11, 2012

Care.com's phone number is found on their website under the Help tab. I called them to cancel my membership and the guy I got was very friendly and helpful.

Kristen Schlemmer Nov 14, 2012

Hi C.V. Miles, I am a member care representative from Care.com. I do apologize for the experience you had with using our service. Upon enrollment and as per our Terms of Use, all potential members agree to a verification check that may be run with the information that is given when signing up. This information is completely private, and is in no way made public to other members of the service. Unfortunately if there is anything pulled up, the account automatically goes into suspension and cannot be utilized any further. I understand the intention was to help out a friend and not to utilize the actual service, so I do apologize that you were not able to do so.

Kristen Schlemmer Nov 14, 2012

Hi tinktink9893, I am a member care representative from Care.com. There are a number of reasons why we would remove an account from the service, but these reasons are not specifically listed in our Terms of Use for privacy and security reasons.
    Having a background check outside of the site does not affect your membership or your use of the service. It is a feature that we offer through the site, but it is optional and we do not require it. The free membership for a care provider allows you to have a profile and apply to jobs through the service. You also have the ability to correspond with families through the site, and utilize other features such as adding references, reviews and a picture if you wish to do so. The information you list on the site is kept completely private, and your account can be closed at any time if you do not wish for it to be on the site. I do apologize for your experience, but hope that this helps to clarify.

Chel7663 Nov 21, 2012

I had the a similar experience as well. I transferred colleges so my email address that I had used with care.com was deleted because it was my school email. Now, sixth months later and at a new college, I try and log into care.com to find a job. It comes up with an error every time I try to log in so I emailed their help site. I received an email back saying my account had been suspended because a background check was performed. I have never had any legal trouble, I'm only 19 years old and have no idea what they could possibly
    be referring to. I asked to have the email forwarded to an email address that actually exists so I could read it and I never got a reply. I am dying to know what the heck they could have found because honestly I have nothing that could ruin a background check.

• Mm
    mmgmalta1 Dec 06, 2012

Okay so this company, Care.com that I signed up with... turns out they are a SCAM! Please do not use them. They run bogus background checks to try and get you to pay money for a more thorough background check! Mine came up that I am a Africian American women living in IL???? I've had other background checks done and NOTHING like that ever came up! BEWARE people and stay away from this company!

tinktink9893 Dec 13, 2012

I recently had a reply from Kristen Schlemmer [you can read above], it had the flavor of some type of double talking gibberish. You know the kind that only a schmuck or a schlemiel would understand. I believe that their very survival lies in the naivete of each of their applicants. But here in lies the jest, it would seem that their predatory methods do not work, as even the naive achieve worldly understanding.
    Everyone must remember that CARE.COM has a hold harmless clause that you are FORCED to sign before you use their site and this is how they get around any controversy or legal actions. But if a legal remedy is found to assist their unhappy clients NO ONE will be subjected to their questionable methods.
    But the world wide web is a wonderful media where you can express your views and opinions. However, it is just a shame that each of us did not find this site before subjecting our private information into their [CARE.COM] hands.
    But why lower yourself to their level? I now accept them as they are and as you as a group have stated so very frequently.Their actions are in fact beyond understanding and comprehension. And to quote a phrase that my mother so often used, "Their organization has the smell of 3 day old trout."

• Aw
    aweropaweir Jun 05, 2013

Other nanny job sites require a social security number from their nannies. Not CARE.COM! It's the "honor" system there. So they're infested with illegal workers. Families know this and offer $5/hr. with a wink. What a sham organization. They should be investigated by the U.S. Labor Dept.

• Em
    empathicdoula Jul 18, 2017

@aweropaweir Not true! SS# is required!

• Ca
    catch22 Jun 25, 2013

Oh my goodness! I am experiencing the same things with care.com. Willing ran a background check and had one thing on it from 10 years ago and now my account is suspended. I want to delete the account and just be done with it, but I am unable to. But even this is ludicrous because I can still apply to job and it says i can share my report with members. I just want to delete the profile. I hate the idea of someone seeing it and thinking that I did some heinous crime!

If they do delete accounts how long does it take? I emailed because I could not find number, but have yet to hear back from them.

Charlie58 Jul 19, 2013

I have signed up for care.com premium membership in September 2011. Apparently, somewhere on the website the fine print says that you'll be billed continuously on the monthly basis until you downgrade the membership. I have not noticed that and have been billed by care.com for almost two years now with no notifications or statements whatsoever. My mistake was using the credit card that is rarely used otherwise and being overwhelmed by a suicide in a family at the time, hence is the need for a nanny and negligence to check the credit card charges.

However, regardless of my failure to monitor family finances, care.com is an unethical and immoral company. Clearly, their system is set up to make revenue dishonestly, taking advantage of people instead of fairly charging customers for the services they use. Respectable companies ALWAYS notify their customers of recurring charges. Care.com doesn't care about reputation or customer loyalty.

There are dozens better and safer ways to find a babysitter. Care.com charged me $700 for using NONE of their services in the past 22 months. They didn't respond to my email either. Please don't contribute to this scam and don't let such shameful practices proliferate.

• Ka
    kamakazikid62 Jul 27, 2013

I am going through the same thing at this very minute. I got my letter from Care.Com and my account has been suspended for 2 incidents that happened back in 1984. I was arrested and sentenced for 2 class D felonies.The report they sent me fails to state that all charges were reversed and that the excellent witness against me in court under oath admitted he lied and was actually one of the people that committed what I and my cousin were charged with doing. The report failed to mention I was given 52 thousand dollars for being illegally incarcerated but that is beside the point.
    I did not apply for a job but I was looking for someone to take care or our pets while we went away. They are claiming that they are not employers but they are obtaining background checks under this heading. How is it that you can call a person looking for a pet sitter an employment applicant and to top all of it off I am 100% disabled and on Social Security disability.
    I do not know how to or where to do it yet but I am looking for any and all ways to file a complaint against Care.Com.This is an invasion of our privacy and it needs to stop.

kryss s Aug 29, 2013

I have sent emails to this company to which they have not responded. All the jobs I have applied to I have never gotten a response. The one job That the company said I got hired for I have yet to hear from the client or anyone. The job is supposed to start on the 2nd of sept but i have had not been given any info or been contacted by care, com or the client. I hate this site. I have not benefitted from it at all. Its a fricken joke. And I dont know how some people are saying they have talked to a customer service rep because when ive tried to call there is no option to talk to a live person. They just transfer you from one automated message to another. I cant think of anything good to say about this company.

• Fl
    flynne Sep 09, 2013

I registered for one time/ one month to find a male home care assistant. I did not get even one response. I stated that I did not want to continue the service. Four months later, I found out that they had charged my credit card. with much difficulty I contacted them, because they don't give any options for complaints whatsoever. Talked to the customer rep and asked to talk with a supervisor. she said that no one is available but some will call me by the end of the day. No one called. I got an email signed by "David", one of the founders, saying that they will not refund my money. I never gave them the right to charge my card and I specifically registered for a one month time.
    They say that they screen every job applicant but it is not true and I can give you name of someone who was not even screened.
    I was charged a $37 for 3 months and they refuse to pay me back.

• Ca
    caredotcomisascam Sep 26, 2013

I had the same exact thing happen to me. I had paid for one month of service in December of 2011. They have been charging me all this time. I contacted their customer service after having to do a Google search to find their number. They are crediting me on month. I contacted the credit card. The credit card is taking off another two months. I am writing a Better Business Bureau complaint and contacting any other state/national agencies that I can. Their practices are sneaky and deceiving.

• Ho
    honestscott Nov 12, 2013

I have made the mistake of joining care.com for a month, and I regret it already. I am simply looking for a weekly housekeeper, and no one has responded. People they claim respond to all messages are not responding. There is not even a place for me to check for any possible messages. Also, when I check out a profile, I can never get back on the site. I have to search again and log in again. It's awful, and a blatant scam.

• Si
    Sid Shankar Nov 18, 2013

I registered for one time/ one month to find a nanny . I stated that I did not want to continue the service. Four months later, I found out that they had charged my credit card. with much difficulty I contacted them, because they don't give any options for complaints whatsoever. Talked to the customer rep and asked to talk with a supervisor. she said that no one is available but some will call me by the end of the day. No one called. I got an email signed by "David", one of the founders, saying that they will not refund my money. I never gave them the right to charge my card and I specifically registered for a one month time.
    I was charged a $35 for 6 months and they refuse to pay me back.

• Me
    Membercare Nov 18, 2013

Hi flynne,

We're very sorry to hear about your experience with Care.com. As clearly stated on the upgrade page, as well as in the Terms of Use that you agree to upon enrollment, all of our subscriptions automatically renew until cancelled. Additionally, we do have a very strict refund policy that you can also view in our Terms of Use.

To clarify, we do run preliminary checks based on public record and information provided upon enrollment on all members of the site. Please refer to our safety center for specifics on what checks we run on all of our members.

We apologize that you had trouble finding a way to contact us, and again apologize for your experience with the site as well.

Care.com Member Care Representative

• Ro
    rockstarz Nov 18, 2013

@membercare Why don't you disclose your name and contact information for the complainant and make an honest effort to rectify the situation rather than throwing the "terms of service" at her. I was considering care.com, as why I'm here reviewing the complaints and now will clearly will stay clear of this "business". That's pretty gross. You are just another "one of those sites".

• Di
    Diana NJ Dec 08, 2017

@rockstarz I agree. Care.com was recommended to me as I am searching for employment but seeing all of these issues I am going to move on. So sorry to all of you that have been mistreated and taken advantage of...hopefully there will be restitution.

Thank you for informing the rest of us so that we may take ourselves elsewhere.

• Si
    Sid Shankar Nov 18, 2013

Horrible site.. They just want to skim you once they have your credit card.. Good product but horrible policies and business model!!

• He
    hellokitty123 Feb 05, 2014

I had the same exact experience. I signed up for one month "premium" membership and was auto renewed without consent. I Downgraded my service the same day, but they have refused to credit back the monthly membership fee. I am just glad I discovered it early and blocked all future charges. The auto renewal clause is buried in the fine print where they obviously did on purpose. Deceptive business practice! Shame on you!

• Kb
    KBJWI Feb 12, 2014

Will never again do business with Care.com based on their deceptive auto-billing practices. Though care.com says they automatically do auto-renewal for their customers' benefit, nothing could be further from the truth. When someone signs up for a single month or for three months, it is because they only want a single month or three months, they do not want to be billed continuously. If care.com was doing this in good faith they would require that customers give express consent to auto renewal, instead it is automatic and unless you read the fine print and catch it, you are screwed. Care.com does not even send automatically renewal emails like most businesses do 2-3 days ahead of a billing cycle to give people the heads up if they do not want to continue service. It is a cheap shot, you are clearly trying to increase revenues by deceptively overcharging your customers- never a good business move. Some states like CA, require that automatic renewal be expressly consented to and require clear and conspicuous wording. Care.com should hold itself to the utmost standards.

A real shame. They have a legitimate business that has been helpful to me in the past and provides an important service, but because they treat their customers like idiots (please stop having your customer service people send your canned response to all inquiries of this nature and the screen shot of the tiny writing we all missed), they will lose customers. Sheila, you know this is a problem and you should fix it. I would have to think you are going to lose more than you are gaining here. Never, never, never again will I deal with care.com. I requested their customer service person have a superior call me 3 times by email and kept getting the same response. Don't forget, I was the client. You have to do right by me to keep me as a customer.

• Er
    ericavm Feb 12, 2014

I am in the same situation. Has anyone had any success getting more than one month of refund? Did you file the BBB complaint? Any new information?

• Mo
    monk5990 Apr 03, 2014

I don't EVEN know why I've gone back to Care.com, or spend so much energy, which will no doubt be met with "we reserve the right to terminate you for the do.llwing reasons or no reason at all. AND we are not going to tell you why either.

I have used their services intermittently, gotten a couple of excellent employees. I am a disabled, retired physician. I "goofed" on hiring a young lady, I missed the signs, but she turned out to be pretty disturbed. She'd moved on to a more lucrative, full time nanny Jo. Fine . Than called me in crisis in the middle of the night. My husband and I are both physicians and suckers for helping people. Turned out CC must not have done their homework. Or maybe they don't need to verify age. She was underage but lied. I digress. She became the young woman in distress that WOULD NOT LEAVE. When we found out she was still under the custody of her PARENTS, we repeatedly gave her two weeks notice, then an ultimatum (our college age son was coming home, we needed the space!) of 24 hrs. It felt heartless but we packed her clothes and put them under the eaves. She cried that she had no way to transport them. We said they were outside, the locks were changed and she showed up in a pickup truck with two strong young men in a heartbeat. Budding young sociopath. As a shrink, I should have known better, but I have chronic fatigue syndrome, not as sharp as I once was. The next day I got the care. Com ex-communication letter. Yeah, yeah. SOMEONE has given us Information. I was no longer welcome. We reserve the rights, bla bla bla. I, too finally got someone, then their supervisor, wrote letters

On April 1st it just happened again (that was years ago) I hired a great person for a couple years in between. I thought Care.com and I were friends. I think someone said something dishonest again (someone who wanted to be hired, but alas, wasn't ). I'd want the job, in this market. I offered her 2 dollars an hour more than she was going to ask for. I live in a nice quiet big house with a pool. It's just me and a sweet dog. I'm laid back. I've parted well with all past employees.

What galls me, is that I was in communication with about six people. May e I am too trusting. I had signed my last name to the people I was I there stead in. Meeting. Some had jobs that would finish soon. Ones last communication, after a month or so, was, ok! My job is about to end, I'd love to meet, I think we will be a very good fit. A professional in this community. I was a professional in this community . My husband is still a practicing physician in this community.

But, now, I just look like a flake or worse. I have now seen so many of these complaint sites. I wish I'd looked before. Loss of BBB memenership?? Unfair treatment of hordes of people. I guess you get what you pay (or in the case of prospective employees, I thin you don't ) pay for.

Back to Craigslist. That has its faults, but I can get 100 responses and screen them out easily by the way they communicate in writing and on the phone, down to a handful.

I just find this very demoralizing. After so much energy has fine on communicating with people...and it is a. ONGOING PROCESS. Makes me look like a whack job. So I wrote to them. Same day, I got the email, I got one asking me if I wanted to be in this year's who's who in America, women in Medicine? I keep getting letters asking if I want to renew my FDA license. I'm board certified for life by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. My Husband is one of the kindest most compassionate doctors in town. But I'm not fit for Care.com community..

Hey...maybe he is, just not his looney wife. Can he hire someone for his sick wife
    As my grandma would say, three day old trout yes and goniffs

• Ye
    yekko Jun 22, 2014

Care.com erroneously removed my account in June that was set up in April. They state that they do not only NOT have to have a reason to remove an account but that they also do not have to give a reason for said termination. This suggests that they are a shady company because why would they not owe somebody an explanation...or at least want to give one. To add insult to injury, they state that they CAN and WILL contact any families that deleted users have been in contact with to inform them that these people have been removed from the site. This tarnishes the reputation of the users and makes it difficult to find a new job. While they did issue me a refund, they have banned me from creating a new profile on the site which is total BS. I did NOTHING wrong. I did NOT violate any TOS.
    The underlying issue is that I had an account previously that *I* deleted in March. They are claiming that THEY deleted my account. This is a bold faced lie. If anything, they are punishing me for having parted ways with them. What kind of company operates under the premise that once you part ways with them you are never allowed to come back. That is NO WAY to run a business.

Stay away from Care.com. Use Sittercity.com if you are searching for a caregiver. They are a better site to use and have much friendlier customer servive...oh wait, I mean they actually HAVE customer service. Care.com hides behind their computer and makes contacting them via phone almost impossible. You have to do a thorough search of their site to even find their number...and then they are only open 10a-6p EST M-F. Avoid Care.com at all costs.

• Me
    Membercare Jul 01, 2014

Hello Yekko,

I am Member Care Representative from Care.com. I apologize that you had a negative experience with us, however as you mentioned, per our policy, Care.com reserves the right to remove anyone for any or no reason and is not at liberty to disclose the reason for removal, terms you agreed to when enrolling onto the site. If you have any further questions regarding our policy, feel free to look through our FAQs page and Safety Center. I hope nothing but the best for you and your future endeavors.

• Cf
    cfzeo Jul 22, 2014

I agree with you-I had the same thing happen. I thought I was signing up for just a 3 month subscription and ended up getting billed every three months!! They only refunded one charge but not the one before that even though I never even logged into my account during the whole 3 months. You are not allowed to speak with a supervisor and they send you a canned response via email that you cannot even reply to. Any company that does this is clearly trying to make money this way by deceiving their customers. I will never use Care.com ever again.

Mary Sibert Aug 28, 2014

Boy
    oh boy do I agree, I just found out on Saturday, August 23, 2014 that I was
    kicked off of Care.com. My prospective client told me, and was I embarrassed. I
    checked it out and sure enough, and just like above it was on a Saturday. They
    are not open on the weekends to calls, but I decided to email, and someone on
    the other end emailed back.

My
    first response was automated:

Thank you for submitting your feedback to Care.com.

We are always looking for ways to improve your Care.com experience, and we
    thank you for your contributions. Your submission is already being forwarded
    to the appropriate department for considerations.

If you have any other questions or concerns, you may also browse our FAQ section.

Thanks again,
    The Care.com
    Member Care Team

Visit our Safety Center for tools and tips to make safer
    decisions throughout your search.

[Care.com case tracking
    -- do not delete or modify text below]

ref:_00D708kOO._50070koBKU:ref

2014-08-23-4284978

My second response on August 24, 2014 was:

Dear Mary,

Your card has been refunded the $40 Premium Membership charge. I have
    included your refund transaction below for your records:

8/24/2014

Refund -

****xxx

- $40.00

Pursuant to the Care.com Privacy Policy and Terms of Use, Care.com is not required to
    release the specific details as to why an account has been closed.
    However, below is a list of common reasons why an account may be
    terminated.
    As a membership-based online community,
    Care.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove a member's
    Care.com membership for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. If we terminate your registration, we
    have no obligation to notify you of the reason, if any, for your
    termination.

Reasons why we may remove a member from the
    Care.com community include, but are not limited to:
    The individual does not meet membership criteria
    (e.g., is underage)Care.com does not offer its services where the
    member is locatedThe member is not active in the serviceCare.com determines that the services offered by
    the member are not being sufficiently utilizedThe member has misrepresented himself or herself
    and/or has provided false information to Care.comSuspicion of fraudulent activity We were unable to verify the information the member
    provided when he/she registeredThe member has posted or searched for inappropriate
    words/phrases and/or content on Care.comThe member has been alleged to have harassed other
    member(s) of Care.comThe member has been accused of, arrested for, or
    convicted of a crimeAllegations of theft, abuse, or neglect have been
    brought against the member
    As stated above, Care.com may remove a
    member for any reason or no reason. Accordingly, any decision by Care.com
    to remove a member's Care.com membership does not constitute and should not
    be interpreted or used as information bearing on the member's character,
    general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living.

Sincerely,

The Care.com Team

Care.com
    Case Tracking Information (please do not delete):
    Case Number: 2014-08-23-4284978
    Case Thread ID: ref:_00D708kOO._50070koBKU:ref

Now
    I have had extensive background checks, working for the school district for 5 years all the way up to January 2013, having my own freelance photography business, I was subject to a police background check, passed with flying colors, for my $340 license, I am also a licensed Pharmacist Technician. I would really like to know just what it was that I did to get kicked off!!! My last client had ALS and is a quadriplegic, cannot speak, can hardly make any hand movements, or write, she just cannot be understood. I tried to get her to use a tablet and she just didn’t want to try. It was an extremely hard four weeks of trying to work this job. I just couldn't do it because we couldn't communicate; her husband had the hardest time also. I hurt myself trying to adjust her in her chairs, and it took three hours to do her showers. She wrote an email to me saying she cried because we couldn't understand each other.

I had great references on my profile that I earned, and I have talked to care.com and told them that those are mine. That I earned those, and I would like them back. They are typed into the page and so my former clients do not have copies, but have agreed to phone calls should someone call them. However; I want the written ones. I feel that my income has been taken away and a way to find work has been taken away, my advertising, the doctor’s that I have met through my clients all say that my clients are fortunate to have me. My attorney said my skills as a caregiver have nothing to do with whatever they are doing. Care.com wants a letter from my attorney on her letterhead before they tell me anything. I have never heard of such a thing, my money has gone to waste…my references are like badges, bonuses that you work so hard to get, taken away now.
    I was told that a supervisor would call me at the end of August 25, 2014. I waited all day…
    I was sent an email, again not a human to talk to, here it is:

Dear Mary,

As per your request I have reviewed your case and unfortunately the decision to close your account is irreversible. Furthermore, when we terminate an account we are not required to disclose the specific reasons as to why the account was removed. Per our Terms of Use, Care.com reserves the right, among other things and in its sole discretion, to terminate your membership for any reason or no reason, with or without notice.

I apologize, but you will not be able to re-enroll on Care.com. If you have any further questions or concerns please refer to our Terms of Use. Section 5, which I have included below, provides the exact information pertaining to your concern.

5. Termination of Registration
    In any event, Care.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate your access to all or part of the Care.com Site, to remove your profile and/or any content posted by or about you from the Site, and/or to terminate your registration in Care.com, for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. If we terminate your registration, we have no obligation to notify you of the reason, if any, for your termination.
    To pursue legal action, your attorney may contact our Legal Department by emailing [email protected] with Attention: Legal in the subject line, or by mail at:

Care.com Legal Department
    201 Jones Road Suite 500
    Waltham, MA 02451

If you have any further questions, please refer to the Care.com Terms of Use for more information.

Best Regards,
    Rebecca
    Care.com Member Care Supervisor

• St
    stupid jan Nov 08, 2014

I HATE CARE.COM. I have never received good offers... one was for two weeks and he didnt pay me. I thot they screened. Then I was scammed two horrible situations... "we are moving to your area and would like to meet you blah blah blah"...never met. I was told by 2 different families they will send me a check to get items, they needed not knowing this area. I was to cash the $3, 000 check and buy the stuff, keep $500 for myself and send them a cashiers check with the difference. SERIOUSLY IM NOT THAT GULLIBLE... Care.com's response was "how to avoid scams don't give out information. Wtf? Again im not stupid. I COULD NOT FIND A FONE NUMBER OR CONTACT OR ADDRESS... IT WAS EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL. I filed a police report and was told IM NOT THE ONLY PERSON THIS HAS HAPPENED TOO. I SHOULD FOLLOW UP WITH FBI SCAM DEPT BECAUSE THEY WERE BOTH INTERNATIONAL ISSUES. I tried to reach s-Cary.com but only by emails... and their responses were as I expected STUPID AND USELESS REPLIES FROM THEIR HELPFUL GUIDE." I should have realized getting a sitting job over the internet had to be crazy... who wants to work for people that could be psychos or the sitter could have serious issues! Nowadays who knows. That's said... every month Care.com puts through a $40 charge in my checking which takes weeks to get your money back because there has never been a number and DAILY I RECEIVE 3-5 ANNOYING TEXTS EVERYDAY FOR "JOBS IN YOUR AREA"... I lost my job so im counting pennies. Today I checked my checking acct and there's another $40 debit PLUS A $29 FOR A FEE FOR OVERDRAWN. This is serious s*** when you cant so No or speak with someone... its Cray cray out of control. Yes i want to close my acct but i have some standing auto-debits that are difficult to change at this time. I CANT THANK AJ ENOUGH FOR POINTING THEIR NUMBER.WHICH I WILL BE FORWARDING TO THE FBI CONTACT. AND S-Cary.com if you actual read these complaints... STOP THE TXT MGS AND DONT CALL YOUR COMPANY REPUTABLE... obviously you have a lot of annoyed clients as shown above!

• St
    stupid jan Nov 08, 2014

COMPANY SUCKS.

• Ju
    Jules81 Dec 03, 2014

Same thing happened to me today! I got an email saying my account was closed.. And when I called customer service, got the same ### as everyone else stated above. I had a family call asking if they could run a background check, and I had to explain to them that care closed my account. Now I look sketchy. Great way to represent your caregivers. I'm reporting them to the BBB