british gold refinerymisleading

T

Did my homework. Contacted them asking for the prices they pay for silver and gold. Expected return at least £80. Offered £24 and will have to pay £50 to get it back. Not happy!

• Ne
    netbuster149 Apr 22, 2013

I have sent 153 grams of 9ct gold to these people and after 2 weeks have got nowhere, no offer, unable to get through on the phone just a complete dead end.
    I'm 72 disabled, living on a state pension and BROKE!
    Is it worth me sueing these scoundrels through the County Court?
    Should I go to the police?
    Any advice would be much appreciated
    [email protected]

• Ki
    Kingbongo63 Apr 16, 2012

Avoid if possible, they will not offer you anything like their web site offers, your gold is ALWAYS of lesser value, not pure enough etc etc, the DEDUCT for anything and everything and will take your gold and keep it unless you pay them fees.

They are under investigation by the Trading Standards in Manchester and advice direct from them for anyone caught up the the British gold refinery trap is to seek urgent assistance an advice from Citizens Advice as soon as you can.

I sent them 66gm 9ct PLUS 40gm of 18ct gold all verified before I sent off for what I thought was to be a good price of £1785 on their web site, they took 5 days not to even call or reply to me I emailed them only to get a reply to say they paid £775 into my account, I challenged them and was told best offer is £1109 after many calls and emails they settled on £1150.

I after speaking to Trading Standards was advised to either settle and walk away or
    TRY AND GET MY GOLD BACK, but would likely lose as they advised Posession is nine tenths of the law - not what one wants to hear when a shower of crooks have your gold and will NOT pay the going rate so I reluctantly settled and ran.

Types of scams they use are...

Your Golds not pure
    The Clasps ar not gold
    The tests were inconclusive as to the gold content
    The stones need to be removed we have costs for that
    The weights are not accurate - your weights are wrong
    Your items are not hallmarked
    The price of gold has gone down
    The price of gold goes down more on a Friday ( they may call you on Thursday with an offer though)

My ultimate experience was not good, they effectively stole my gold for an unfair price, but knowing what I know now about them and the issues being addressed by the Advertising Standards Agency, Manchester Trading Standards and the very many unhappy people commenting I would advise anyone looking to sell toe AVOID AT ALL COSTS www.britishgoldrefinery.co.uk

------------------------------------YOU WILL LOSE OUT...

• Mo
    moomintrog1 Mar 07, 2012

Every feedback, review and comparison website is going to hear about these crooks. A complete disgrace to the industry. Don't take it lying down guys. Small claims court doesn't cost a lot and I'd rather pay the court than pay the robbing swines at britishgoldrefinery.co.uk .
    If they hold your items to ransom, as they are with me after I refused their laughable offer, then report it as theft to the police. Then it becomes evidence and they cannot dispose of it by refining it or otherwise - as they threaten to do within 10 days if you do not pay up the £50 they demand to return your jewellery. If they paid out what the display on their website you wouldn't ask for your items back!!! But apparently thats just a 'spot price' and not the price they pay!
    People need to know that all of the bad reviews are true. So I'll tell as many as I can and I'd appreciate your help!!

• Pa
    paul cleverley Nov 21, 2011

anyone got their gold back yet?
    me to has gone in feet first, should of stayed with hatton garden metals, brilliant they are.

i to get board meeting every day

• Tr
    Trysomewherelse Oct 10, 2011

One of those companies that relies on the Small Print in return for the good faith one places in entrusting items to them, Not a good experience and one that has cost me Pds 50 and wasted time.

• Co
    constructivekm Oct 10, 2011

This company is now a complete scam. They are taking items of jewellery and simply keeping them without paying a penny. I have requested my jewellery back every day for a month and every day I'm told "sorry sir, it will definitely be sent today." When asking to speak to a senior member of staff, I'm told the same each day: "They are in a board meeting". Avoid.