Bench Craft Companyawful company, masters of scams!

Bench Craft Company victimizes customers and takes unethical and fraudulent sales practices to a new low. February 2007, a friend of mine was solicited via the telephone for the purchase of advertising space on a course scorecard. My friend opted to participate in the advertising offer, which was to begin May 2007.

In May, the advertising did not appear in the scorecard. The Bench Craft Company sales manager, Mark Hogan, said that the ad would be present in the following month (June).

In June, again the ad was not present. Mr. Hogan again said that the scorecard ad would arrive in July. Again, in July the scorecards arrived, however, the paid ad was not present. Again, Mark Hogan said that by August 2007, the ad would be printed into the scorecards. The advertisement was not printed in August a full 3 months later than promised.

A request for a refund, since the valuable summer golfing opportunity had passed, was refused. In September, my friend's credit card company entered Bench Craft Company in arbitration. Bench Craft Company lost. Instead of either printing the ad or refunding the amount, an additional $400 was billed on top of the $350 for the ad.

Bench Craft Company claims that a refund is against their policy as stated in their contract. My friend responded to Bench Craft Company that a contract was never provided. Bench Craft Company denied this and provided my friend with a contract with someone else's name on it.

This story gets worse. September, October, November, December 2007 passed with no ad. Every month Bench Craft Company refusing to either print the ad or provide a refund.

It is now March 3, 2008, a full year later. Instead refunding a customer, they sent the cost of the ad plus the additional cost of the arbitration they lost to collection with the aim to ruin a customer's credit.

I noticed Bench Craft Company has quite a long list of complaint filed with the Better Business Bureau. I can see why. The company supports questionable sales tactics, does not deliver on their services as promised, is dishonest about the agreement a customer enters into and attempts to cause harm. How do they live with themselves?

• Ea
    EastCoastProperties Jun 06, 2021

I wish I read this before I gave them my cc number. Has anybody had any luck disputing the charges?

hatescumbags Jan 17, 2021

Benchcraft can eat my doodies. They are worthless garbage. If you see anyone who works for them, feel free to throw up on them

@hatescumbags Agreed!

• Ml
    MlsIV Oct 25, 2018

Dishonest business practices! After almost a year, I still cannot verify my ad at the golf course. They pressure you for a 'deal' because they say that it must go to production only to call you three weeks later with another 'deal'. They do not honor the 'deal' that they call with, so don't do it!!! They try to trick you by having you quickly text approvals to them. It's really terrible. And when I called them for assistance, Mr. Sanders told me that he hadn't had but two sips of his coffee yet and he wasn't ready to deal with my issues until his finished his coffee. They are scammers and bullies. Stay clear of this company!

TrayD May 07, 2021

@MlsIV I called the golf course which they said the ad was for, and the golf course had nothing to do with them and had never heard of them! Benchcraft found their name online and used them as a way to sound legitimate. The lady making the scam call sounded all happy, talking about the weather, the baby in the background, what a great business I have, etc. I do not understand how people like them sleep at night...what an awful way to make a living! COMPLETE SCAM COMPANY!!!

Anthony257 Oct 19, 2018

In summary, my Bench Craft experience was poor. I found that the representatives I encountered to be unethical and their method of operation to be fraudulent. I would never knowingly have any business dealings with them!

TrayD May 07, 2021

@Anthony257 Yes, stay away! They are pathetic, looking for an easy way to cheat people out of their money.

• Ti
    tian0417 Apr 17, 2018

Just so you know, ten years after the original comment, they are still using undesirable advertising methods (a/k/a spam), and the reviews suggest that the other unsavory aspects of their operation are unaltered.

Feel free to send them any money which you no longer need.

• Sj
    S. Jean Brown Mar 25, 2018

This company lies to get your money and cannot produce guaranteed sales. Such liars

Michelle Hudson Jun 14, 2017

If these people call you hang up and block their number

• Gy
    gymangel209 Mar 07, 2017

BE CAREFUL WITH THIS 'BUSINESS'. Yes, they will put your advertisement on a golf course sign and are very professional in setting it up and getting the design the way you want it. But after the initial setup, they take advantage of the fact that you are busy and don't remember little details of small advertisements like this.

We signed up to have an ad put on a ball washer sign at a local golf course after the salesperson would not give up - offering discount after discount and making us believe that 2 years were included, when in reality we would be charged each year. 6 months later they faxed another contract and made it seem like it was needed to keep the ad going. But really they were signing us up for another product - simply called "D" on the contract - meaning that they charged our card an additional $395 for this 'new product'. Last night they called again saying that the year was up and that they needed us to sign a contract to renew so they could charge our card. We called customer service to figure out what was going on and they explained that no we were all set on the original contract until October 2018 but that the salesperson was setting us up with another product - called "S" on the contract.

Anyways, they are very shady and make you feel like you are forgetting things when really they are just scamming you. Even if they were reasonable, we have never once had a customer come in to take advantage of the discount they would get from mentioning the sign. Stay away from this company or, if you must use them, keep very detailed records of each document and record your phone conversations.

• Mo
    Monica Mohl Andring Dec 20, 2017

@gymangel209 SPOT ON TRUE!

haineschelle Jun 30, 2016

This whole comment is just a string of spam words strung together. It's not even coherent.

• Am
    AmericansStopScumBusiness Mar 01, 2016

I will first readily admit I myself have read what I feel is an overwhelming sense of emphatic support for the truly trusting and good hearted people whom still remain in our beautiful society looking to continually grow and prosper, and isn't this after all what we all aspire to actually put in motion and do, rather than just talk about doing? I personally share this constant move forward approach as not trying is in another words defined by many powerful motivational and inspirational public trusted and tried figures as the exact definition of failure otherwise; the doing nothing approach. Therefore it's my opinion, please don't tear my personal opinion to shreds as I feel we are all able to share them whether others agree, dislike or much worse, but perhaps there are many who share similar perspectives as well, and trying can't hurt, even if it helps just one single individual, it counts, a single person has proven to change thousands of lives. So ultimately I am getting to the finale of the post by stating the comments are excellent as the established patterns of behavior, particularly with scenarios and actions taken and actions outcome, all different customers, but same source company, fact proven #1, surely there is documented proof as well, secondly, of each slightly variations of approach by company, they still have several same exact examples with multiple customers and same outcome where the customer was not satisfied, to the extent of fraudulent and deceptive practices, again I'm certain each customer has their factual information to show proof of this supporting evidence, it's what you can prove, show on paper or factual proof not she/he said, which is further going to make the case iron clad, continuing this basic process just by reading your great comments, the BBB, isn't going to provide the remedy you seek, however, the steps to file free of charge with a little collaboration of you consumers wanting them either out of business, money returned, etc., is to simply take your already facts in possession, just get a little more organized, file a combined ftc.gov complaint firstly, assign a leader for that task, secondly, in parallel, assign a second lead to file in parallel another complaint with the consumer protection bureau which is in charge for overseeing and enforcing the guidelines for practices - on behalf of the consumer - in which the company has to address the CPB as they report public reports and on behalf of the comp controller to protect the consumer from deception and misleading advertising, lending, debt collection, goods and services, advertising practices and much more, you are assigned a case number, follow real time response from the company after you file your complaint through consumer protection bureau, you can then respond and deny, escalate and additional file in parallel or secondly directly to your attorney general and that is absolutely where you want to be clear, concise, factual, submit your findings and efforts to date, and what you feel is or not being resolved. That will be the end and this will not take more than 30 days total, entire process described above. The details were provided to help you be as successful as possible and I wish you all the best, alll whom have struggled and still awaiting resolution. I was there in another situation, different company, same concept and I learned slowly over a long time by research and more research to learn the hoops and red tape. If you want to take them down for sheer principle, prevent another from this horrible ordeal, it'll be your best feeling of achievement and someday your karma will be repaid to you by 100%, good people deserve good things. Wish you all the best!

• Ju
    JustSayN0 Nov 01, 2015

I just want to confirm that Benchcraft company is a rip off, unfortunately I did not do google research before giving my credit card # to them. Once they had my cc # I got nothing for weeks. Since they didn't design my ad or do any work on it as promised, that's when I got suspicious and googled it, discovered they were shady as I suspected. They wouldn't cancel or refund for me and I had to dispute it with my credit card company. They disputed the dispute and this went back and forth until the bank made their final decision in my favor. I told the ad designer not to waste his time making any ads for me. Then Benchcraft sent me a printed copy of an ad (6 months later) with an invoice, and they are sending it to collection agency now. Funny because the ad is terrible and makes my business look unprofessional, I would never approve such an ad, not even if it was free, and they want me to pay them for it. Also I was promised alot of things that were bogus, ie "exclusivity" none of my competitors would appear in the booklet (there's 4 of my competitors in the booklet not counting myself); 2 ads for 2 years (for the price of 1 year), then they try to give me just 1 year. And they are trying to charge me for the 2 ads (even though they made just one ad and it was after I told them not to). Dealing with this company is a nightmare, do not become their next victim, just hang up.

hatescumbags Sep 19, 2015

Lol, I LOVE when their employees come on here posing as consumers to try and fool people into thinking this company is anything less than a total scam and their employees dirtbags. Please, clowns, do you REALLY think we're all that stupid?

• Kb
    Kbcc Mar 23, 2015

I'm surprised your site allows a racist bigot the opportunity to racially profile online. Are you sure you should allow this comment to stay on your site???

Joe West Mar 20, 2015

Just got a call today 3-20-15 from a black sounding individual named Michell saying he was the Marshall Canyon Golf Course in California and that they advertise companies on the back of their score cards. I said really. Just another scammer who should be in federal prison. Why aren't the Feds going after these ### who are stealing hard earned money from struggling mom and pop businesss. He was a nice charmer though, and steals with a great personality, a good way to drop down your gaurd. Not!!!

• Fa
    Fairway Media Sales Feb 04, 2015

What about poor innocent me??????? I have a company called Fairway Media Sales in Canada. I put ads on coffee sleeves and I am not a merchant member of Visa or Mastercard, but Bench Craft use my name "Fairway Media" to bill all you people. When you are looking to dispute the charges you call me. I have asked Bench Craft not to use my name but they refuse. I get calls from all over Canada on my cell (which I am paying for the long distance even when I am in the U.S. on vacation and paying roaming), so that I can try to help you people find out the real company behind all those charges. It costs me time, money and aggravation. Thanks a lot Bench Craft.
    STOP USING MY COMPANY NAME TO BILL PEOPLE. It is so annoying.

bhale Jan 31, 2015

I wish I had known about all the complaints previously We paid $750 for ads at 2 different golf courses in August 2013. Tried for 6 months to get somewhere with them AFTER finding out that the gold course didn't get the guides (or they were wrong depending on who you talked to but we never saw one) beginning in April and finally was promised a refund in November by Nick Sanders. When it didn't show on my credit card in 21 days i filed a dispute which they contested and i am still fighting with them to get my money back.. as others have said THEY ARE A SCAM

AngelaHow Jan 27, 2015

Totally Absolutely agree, they should be put out of business. They are a absolute total disaster!

• La
    Ladylibra79 Jan 27, 2015

I made the mistake of taking a job with them. After years of working in academia, I decided to try sales. I was still young, mid-twenties, and was excited about the opportunity. I can tell you from an insiders perspective, you are all correct. It is a HUGE waste of your money to buy advertising with Bench Craft. It's not so much a scam, per say. They do take your money and EVENTUALLY place your ad on the back of a golf scoring card. The problem is that this can take well over a year, sometimes more, to happen. If you call the customer service line, you will either A) be on hold forever or B) simply get the run around. And of course, they will NEVER refund your money. It was a horrible experience for me to listen to of these furious customers call me, a sales rep, who was on no position to help them. I had to tell them to call the ridiculous customer service line (knowing they wouldn't get any help their either). I left after a month. Please, avoid these people and continue to report them to the BBB. There is a reason they have such a horrible rating.

Bhowler Nov 02, 2014

The complaints here were done by Llyod Porter a former employee who felt he was let go wrongly . Whether or not he should have been fired or not is not my business. But 99 percent of these complaints are made up.

Bhowler Nov 02, 2014

Bench craft with a few problems got my ads out as promised. All in all great job!

Bhowler Nov 02, 2014

I'm surprised at the negative feedback on this site. All companies have some unhappy customers but something does not seem right. I'm the head of the San Diego Chamber of Commerce and Benchcraft has dealt with over 100 of our members. All feedback positive. Must be an unhappy employee.

TrayD May 07, 2021

@Bhowler That's because it's a SCAM company!

• Di
    didntgetmethanx2uall Apr 29, 2014

I currently HAVE BEEN IN THE PROCESS OF SPEAKING WITH "Misty" @ Bench Craft about advertising in a course guide for a local country club golf course. I learned my lesson 8yrs ago when I was scammed out of 5k ! & Now I do plenty of research before I send $$ or give out my CC info. THANK GOD for the Internet. I would have been another victim on this list!! Obviously I will NOT be sending any money to this company.
    Thanks to all that posted, you have saved me money, time, hassle, grief, frustration, and aggravation!

Michelle Hudson Jun 14, 2017

@didntgetmethanx2uall Misty contacted my housecleaning business today scammers lol 😂 glad I did not fall for that

• Li
    Liq and More Mar 26, 2014

I paid for advertising with Bench Craft Co IN 2013 (Now, I am not sure if I ever was advertised, mute point now) What IS for sure is once I paid them for the advertising I was bombarded with phone calls trying to sell me more advertising, I thought wow I am never doing business with this company again! In January of 2014 I received a call from Bench Craft telling that the second round of advertising needed payment to proceed, so they were going to use my card information on file. I said BS you are. I immediately cancelled my card and heard nothing further from them until Today. Jason from Bench Craft called me, I was waiting on a customer as I own a retail location. I answered he told me the purpose of his call I said No, I wouldn't be advertising with them this year. He retorted WHY? I explained (kindly) why, he says again WHY? I said I am not advertising with your company, he responds a third time, WHY? I (not so kindly) said WHY????????? He hung up on me! After my customer left I looked up their phone number [protected]. I asked to speak with a manager, proceeded to tell the receptionist what had just happened. She put me on hold as said that Mark the manager would return my call immediately as he was currently busy with 6 different things and could not talk right now. I have yet to hear from Mark!! I am confident I will not either, I began looking on the Internet in frustration and that is when I came across this message board. Now I wonder if I just handed them easy money and ever really received any advertising?! They were suppose send me a sample, I never got one but didn't really care until now.. Good Luck and stay away from these company.

• Ph
    Philly Phrank Oct 28, 2020

@Liq and More "mute" point hahahahahah

MikeO' Jun 12, 2013

I am soliciting business' who are interested in filing a class action suit against Benchcraft.

If so comment at [email protected]

Mike

• Ut
    Utah real estate agent May 26, 2013

Run away! Another victim here... Was dumb enough to do business with these people without reading reviews and it cost me over $1, 200.

• Ve
    vectorcutco Apr 25, 2013

TOTAL SCAM. I bought an ad package from them Jan. 2013 for $375. Then they called me back three months later demanding another $375 which was NEVER IN ANY WAY discussed during the sales call. DO NOT business with this company. PERIOD.

• To
    tomiseffinpissed Apr 05, 2013

If you have had a poor experience with Bench Craft Company, or ever worked for the company, please contact Justin Bowes at [email protected] He has some questions you might be able to answer. Attorney Generals Office Cobbs is getting locked up

• St
    steve riznod Sep 26, 2012

Scammers Losers and they will rip you off

i know i worked with these sleazeballs

• Sw
    Swimming Pool Man Sep 12, 2012

Good Morning,
    On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Grandt Mansfield <[email protected]> wrote:
    My Name is Grandt Mansfield with Bench Craft Company and I am emailing on behalf of the Normandie Golf Club. I am emailing you because we are in the process of putting together the Inaugural Course Guides that are going to go out to the Golfers and Guests for an entire year.
    In the Guides we will provide all the Crucial Golf information the Golfers need to play as well as a place to track their scores, but we are also going to showcase 1 Business per hole with a Full Color Sponsorship.
    The reason for contacting you specifically is because the Course gets about 32, 000 rounds of golf per year. 90% of the Golfers are Homeowners, 55% are Business owners, 35% are Women, and are middle to high income.
    We are looking to Showcase 1 Pool and or Spa Related Service in all the Guides to refer the Golfers to. If you could please email me back, that would be greatly appreciated. I would love to give you the details.
    Sincerely,
    Grandt Mansfield
    This was a e-mail I received
    This was my response
    Grandt,

This is a rip off Been there done that and all it did was cost my company money. Please take me off your list.

This was Grandts response
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:17 PM
    Well first off, it isnt a rip off. No form of Advertising is Guaranteed. As a Business Owner you should know that and you cant blame the printing company for that.
    Secondly, I dont have a list, but I would be more than happy to contact Google to have them pull you off there if that helps
    Now that is the lowest from of ### to threaten someone just because I was honest and told them I thought it was a rip off and to please remove me from their list. They are right there is no list because they just get on goggle and start e-mailing companies.
    This was all copied and pasted from e-mails. NOT MADE UP

• So
    someguywhoknowsaboutthis Oct 25, 2011

I have known a few people who have worked at Bench Craft. Trust me when I say it is a very shady business and even employees that were making 120K+ leave because it is hard to sleep at night. Do not do business with these guys.

• WasNotBornYesterday Jun 28, 2011

Take heart! Because of articles and consumer response I found here and online, I ESCAPED and they were NOT successful in scamming me!

I received a call today from them...same promise, "only one more available and only $300!" What a deal.

"Can you hold for a moment please?" *hold* Google "Bench Craft Company". Google presents me with page after page of scam warning. Did a quick check at the BBB also - it only takes a few seconds. They have a "C" rating. I go back to the call...

Me: "Thank you for holding. I see that your company has a 'C' rating with the BBB. We only do business with 'A' rated or higher. Thank you for calling." *click*

HE CALLED BACK! LMAO!!!

Bench Craft: "Did you just hang up on me?"

Me: "As I explained, we do not do business with any company rated lower than 'A'."

Bench Craft: "Well...what is YOUR rating?"

Me: "A+" (and it truly is)

Bench Craft: "I don't..." and then the line mysteriously went dead. Well, maybe not so mysterious as I actually hung up on him again.

He hasn't called back a 2nd time. It might get really interesting if he does. We can record calls, we have been known to prosecute harassers.

• Ji
    Jiitana Maria Vistani Jun 21, 2011

Bench Craft Company has been in business for about 30 years. They service over 2500 courses across the country, as well as courses in Canada and Hawaii. Let's do some math here. The average course is 18 holes. There are an average of 7 products per course. Scorecards, Tee Signs, Benches, Ball Washers, Display Boards, Course Guides, and Folders. They handle almost half a million accounts. Many of whom are faithful repeat customers. When a customer is called, the outlines of the FULL agreement is detailed to them in no uncertain terms. Then an invoice is either faxed or scanned and sent to them so they can read those terms in black and white. There is no way anyone can charge your credit card without you giving them the credit card information. Why would anyone give someone credit card information over the phone without having a contract in front of them in black and white first? And if you read the terms, sign that contract, and give your credit card number, then what's the problem? That's not slamming. If you're not smart enough to do your own homework and research advertising techniques first, then the results or lack thereof are on YOU, not the advertiser.

• Cr
    crowncomp Apr 18, 2011

Benchcraft called us and everything sounded good, we paid $100 down and the balance was to be paid when the golf scorecards went out, We never received a scorecard with our name on it and they have neer been printed. BUT bencraft has sent us to a collection agency and now they want $375 stating that we approved the proof so they want paid, they now say they dont print until they get thir money, benchcraft wont talk to us and wont send us a copy of the contract or proof they printed anything.
    look at hahahahahahaha comment, this is the type of a-hole you will deal with at benchcraft after te sale

• Le
    leisure Mar 14, 2011

Wow. This company is not a scam. They do follow through with what is promised. They have Customer Service department that handles any issue fairly. I would re consider believing information posted by disgruntled ex employees.

hatescumbags Dec 31, 2010

This company is a bunch of lowlife [censor]. They repeatedly call and harass you, that ALONE should tell you the type of company they are. No good legit company has to repeatedly cold call for customers. I recommend EVERYONE file complaints against them with the BBB, Their local AG's office and the FTC. It's time to put crap like this out of the public's misery

• Bi
    birddoggs Oct 22, 2010

bench craft is a great company actually. i got so many referals from my ad. it was amazing... now see how stupid this site is? it posts anything about anyone. DON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING ON COMPLAINTS BOARD

hadleywoo Sep 18, 2010

Thank you all. I was called by them today and after reading your comments, I saved my self money and headachache by not working with them. I knew something was up when " Eryn" said we have sold all but two flags on the course and one of them is the 1st course! Ya right. No ligit marketing company would do that. Also, no ligit marketing co would pressure you for an answer the same day. Most would pressnt thre deal and let you decide in due time.

Thanks all! :)

Michelle Hudson Jun 14, 2017

@hadleywoo I had this very same experience today

• Bu
    Bus.man Aug 10, 2010

Same problem here. I signed up/paid for 4 different golf courses here in Phoenix and it was not quite a year before I was able to verify only two of the advertisements out of the 4. For almost a year I had to keep calling back to check on these ads and complain. These people will vehemently lie to you, string you along, and do everything they can to get your money. They are professional con artist under cool and try to present themselves as a reputable company but in reality they are just the opposite.
    And keep in mind that they come on here as stealth customers trying to argue the facts and trying to make this company look good. I assure you, I contacted every person on every scorecard and map and not ONE of them have anything good to say about this company. In fact, just the opposite-they all had problems with their ads being printed up to a year after the time frame they were told.
    Is there anything that all of us, together, can do about this?

• Ea
    easygoinggolfguy503 Aug 03, 2010

[protected]
    [protected]
    I worked for benchcraft for 9 months (a veteran by Bench Craft standards). This company does provide golf course advertising eventually if at all. All sales people are trained to say 6-8 weeks for your advertisement or sponsorship arrives at the course with most of the time it does. However 6-8 weeks is not realistic, it can take 4 months to 2 years for it to get there. Sometimes the advertisement doesn't even make it to the course do to over booking and shady tactics. Bench Craft sometimes gambles with it and doesn't ever put it on the course till or if the client even notices. Also most of the time the company saws you will have an "exclusive" for your business meaning that ie you will be the only Insurance rep on the scorecard for one year, but really they mean to say you will 1 insurance agent among 30 other insurance agents advertising on the scorecard. My recommendation is to put that $400 or the so called $375 manager special money towards other advertising, or just throw it out the window. The reason why Bench Craft Sales people are so aggresive is the company pays out daily cash (not reported to the IRS) to its sales people for getting deals, some sales people walk out with over $300 cash after a hard day of lying. I sold my sole for to long

• Dr
    DrKND Jul 05, 2010

My story reads like many others here. Caveat emptor I suppose. These guys have figured out a system that protects them from the consequences of their bad behavior. I'm seeking redress through my credit card company, and will work to make sure they never do business in my town again. Now I know what it feels like to be hustled. Ew.

Lesson learned: NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH STRANGERS OVER THE PHONE. ALWAYS DO DUE DILIGENCE BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING. READ ALL CONTRACTS CAREFULLY. Wish there was a way to let people know this BEFORE They wind up on this board.