BBG Communication LondonPhone call with credit card

S

I was in Singapore Changi Airport and using my credit card to call my girlfriend in China for about 10 minutes. And I was charged more than AUD30.00 for the call. This is completely ###!! What kind of service is this!! Felt like swearing about this!!

• La
    Lana Ricardo Aug 07, 2008

I made a telephone call to Australia from Paris which lasted between 5-10mins and I have received my credit card account with a $A101.63 + $4.50 conversion fee. I wasn't given a choice of telephone carrier. This was the service offered by the hotel we stayed at. We have been ripped off!

• Ar
    Arvind Aug 09, 2008

I have exactly the same experience. I also called my family in Sydney on 3 Aug from Changi Airport, Singapore. I did not buy the phone card thinking that that might be expensive as I might not have used up all the credits in the phone card. So preferred to use my Gold Visa Card. Just checked the account and to my surprise the total bill charged to my account is about A$140. Talk time would have been hardly 15-20 minutes. These telephone companies donot display the calling rate, so you will never be able to know how much they are going to charge. Airport authorities should make it mandatory for the telecom companies to display their calling rates otherwise many more passengers will be ripped off in future like us.

• Su
    Susie Jackson Aug 11, 2008

Exactly the same. The Hotel(in Paris) had a card for 'direct calling' in the room. I assumed that the Hotel would have vetted the company. It cost $200 for several calls, the total time for all would have been less than 10 minutes. The Hotel now has expressed surprise at my complaint. It, of course, has nothing to do with them. This is fraud.

• Ro
    RomanP Aug 21, 2008

I have never been riped off so badly in my life, before I used BBG! everyone sould know about this company and never, never use their services!

• Bi
    Biju Aug 24, 2008

I used the pay phone in Singapore Changi airport to make a few calls to India. I wouldn't have talked for more than 3 -5 minutes in any of the calls. I had been robbed off by this telephone company called 'BBG Communications'.

They charged me 48.97 AUD for the first call and 30.53 each for the other two calls to India! What a rip-off!!

I will never ever use the payphones in Singapore Changi Airport with my credit card!!! Is there any forum to complain about it?

• Lu
    Lucky Aug 26, 2008

I completely agree. These phones need to show how much they are charging per minute or better yet, I would be happier if there was a huge boycott of these phones. I called the US from Beijing on Aug, 21st 2008 and I am just starting to see the fees. I did not call for more than 5 minutes either but I have just received a fee for 36 US dollars and I am afraid more will be coming. These fees are outlandish when we have skype technology nowadays.

• Ba
    Barry Aug 30, 2008

I had a similar experience at Singapore airport. AU$20 for less than 60 seconds. No information either in the booth or over the phone about the call costs. This is considered criminal in many countries.

I have called Florida from Australia for less than AU$5 for a ½ hour call!!

I am contacting the Airport to complain and make suggestions, even make demands about putting up waring signs on each phone. But I bet they are in on it with commissions!! I have contacted a company called BBG Communications in the UK and demanded a refund. I suggest ALL of you do the same. Email the Airports/hotels etc and keep pestering them, AND email BBG and demand your money back, threatening legal and media action if not.

These people need stopping and authorities and big business (hotels airports etc) will not act unless many of us stand up and make a noise.

Go for it!!! Now!!!

• Ra
    Randolph Bulpin Aug 31, 2008

Absolutely agree, I was at Melbourne airport my flight was delayed and I called my wife to make changes to connecting flights in the USA. The first call was less than a minute, long enough to leave a message and I was charged $35.78. In all for four calls I was charged in the vicinity of $250.00. Does anyone know how to contact BBG communications, I have e-mailed them through their contact on the website but their details are very limited.

• Pc
    PC Sep 01, 2008

Shocked to see so many complaints about this mob.

Made a series of 1-2 minutes whilst at a resort in Bali and noticed the charges on my statement almost 3 weeks later (last week) for the amount of $50AUD each per call - total number of transactions, 7 for a total of $360AUD!

Have sent an email to my bank and they will be investigating. I've also sent an email of complaint to the company demanding a refund but yes the details seem obscure and I don't fancy my chance of getting a quick reply for some reason.

If anyone else who is trying to get this matter resolved wants to provide an update or want to know what I am doing feel free to email me.

• Sh
    Shelley Sep 01, 2008

I have also found a couple of outragous charges on my CC. I made a call from KL Airport to a mobile in China. The call couldn't have been more than 10 mins. I did think that the call charges might be more expensive than my home phone, but I never expected that much more. I have been charged $51.43 & $51.46 AUD. I am sure I only made the 1 call.

I have just got back to Australia and will dispute the charge with my CC company. To be honest, I can't remember if there were call charges displayed on the phone, but I am heading back next week so will check the phone out again.

There are so many complaints websites that BBG is coming up on. It looks like this is happening for quite a while, all around the world. Not sure how we will go getting money back, but you never know if you don't give it a go!!

• Aa
    aaron Sep 02, 2008

I have exactly the same experience. I also called my family in China on 31 July from Changi Airport, Singapore. I did not buy the phone card thinking that that might be expensive as I might not have used up all the credits in the phone card. So preferred to use my Gold Visa Card. Just checked the account and to my surprise the total bill charged to my account is about US$80. Talk time would have been hardly 2-3 minutes. ###!! ###!!!

• De
    des Sep 03, 2008

One more victim here. I just made two calls in changqi airport and BBG charged me abt AU$80. The bill shows that on the day I made the calls they charged me $1 each. After 3 days they charged me two amount again, both of them are abt AU$40 something. I will contact my CC company to see wether they can help me or not.

• Ro
    Rob Oct 07, 2008

I used the card 3 times for 1-5 minutes each time. Charges $23.81, $16.70 and $7.22 USD. Calling from a hawaii payphone local to another hawaii location (same area code). I informed my CC company that the charges were not authorized and they are cancelling my card and paying for the bill.

• Mi
    Michael Oct 15, 2008

I was in Spain and (like everyone) had no choice from my room. The hotel (Marriott brand) did not sell calling cards. Anyone who thinks the hotel (or airport) is not only aware, but getting a cut is insane... we all just need to get the word out. we got back from vaca a month ago, were charged and TODAY they tried to charge AGAIN!!!

Matty Oct 16, 2008

Sounds like the same old thing but I was in Changi Airport over a month ago and today I was just charged $A36.75 on my credit card for a call that didn't even connect! That's the last time I slide anything of mine through an asian slot you pommy ###!!!

• Re
    Renee Oct 22, 2008

Just got back from a business trip to Jamaica. Called home to South Carolina twice to talk to my daughter. Each call less than 2 minutes - one charged $33 the other $35. Then last night I get a call from fraud protection at my bank that BBG is trying to process even more charges to my account!!! Complete and total BS!!! I've printed off about 50 pages of complaints on this company that I found on line to take to my back and ask that the charges not be paid and file fraud complaints on this company.

• Li
    Lisa Nov 06, 2008

I was charged AUD$25 for a 1-2minute quick phone call at Changi Airport to my boyfriends SINGAPORE sim card - just to see where abouts he was. Thank God I didn't call anybody back home to let them know I had arrived in Singapore safely, I dread to think how much I would have been charged! BBG are a complete rip off...

• Gr
    Graham Nov 09, 2008

I'm another sucker. Mada a call from LAX airport to my son in New Orleans for about 3-5 minutes. Ripped off for AUD35.00 by a company BBG Communications in UK. Cheaper to get Global Roaming with Telstra. Next time I'll send a smoke signal.

• Mi
    miriam lamont Nov 10, 2008

I am another victim of BBG Communication rip-off. This time being an unsuspecting visitor I purchsed a sim card for 10 pounds from a vending machine at an international airport in London. The sim card was a popular and legal phone provider but what I didn't know at the time (and how would a visitor know) that this legal phone provider DO NOT put their sim cards into vending machines. Everything about the package looked legitimate. I activated the card but when I went to top up with my credit card it wouldn't accept it on both occasions. When I checked my credit card statement whilst still overseas I had been charged by these rip-off merchants for a total of $AUD176 AND I hadn't even spoken to anyone by phone. I have since been in contact with my bank and they are investigating these low life. I have also informed the legal phone company and they are holding their own investigation and hopefully will put notices on the vending machines. In the meantime, don't let these people get away with these rip-offs, try everything to get your money back, don't give up. Keep complaining, hopefully eventually justice will be done. Thank you

• Am
    amichelia Nov 11, 2008

I'm another victim of BBG Comm at Changi Airport. I have used credit cards for over 20 years but always tried not to use it outside Australia. On 27/10/2008 my flight was delayed and I was desperate to inform my family. I could not find any place at Changi airport to buy a phone card so reluctantly used my Visa card. I was suspicious of not seeing any call rates displayed but thought scam has no place at one of the best airport in the world. My call was 2 short sentences of less than 30 seconds and a few days later my Visa statement showed BBG Comm. charging me 2 transactions totalling of over AUD $28! This bad experience will further deter people to use credit cards while travelling. I would blame Changi Airport's management for allowing this to happen for so long and to so many people as I would only use my Visa card because I thought it is safe to do so at Changi!!!

• Ni
    nick Nov 26, 2008

I have just been charged AU$350 for 5 separate short calls (all <10mins each) I needed to make to book a flight from an airport !!!

This is going to court and they will pay all costs. This company will be laughed at in court. Please tell me others WILL do the same.

• Na
    Nash Dec 03, 2008

Same here for two short calls from denver airport to a mobile phone in atlanta. Less than 2 minutes and i was charges A$ 38.
    Bloody disgusting. How is this possible in this day and age, and in so many places?

• Di
    Divesh Jan 30, 2009

I am another victim of BBG Communication at Belgium airport. My wife called me from Brussel airport to US and she just left voice message to my cell and that was for less than a min. And they have charged $49.38. my bank called me for unauthorised transaction but as a responsible citizen I told to the bank that yes we have used the credit card but the price they have charged is beyond expectation. After that Bank authorized that transaction and when I spoke at BBG Communication customer service then they spoke so rudely, you cant imagine... eventually they told me that they would return $19.75 as a courtesy and it would be in your bank within 2-3 days.
    And they gave the break down also i.e. connection charge 16.99 + 5.29 min. charge.. that too comes at$22.28 but they dont had any explanation of $49 charge... it sucks...
    OUR USA GOVT. should take some actiona against such company!! I dont have that much time otherwise I would have sued them or any such kind of provider.

• Ty
    Tyler May 23, 2009

Yep, just got nailed too. I'm in Bali and made 2 calls for about 20-25 minutes each. Each totaled almost $100. This was inside the Hard Rock Cafe, so I'm guessing they'll find it interesting that their international and highly public company is hosting rip-off phones in their lobby.

Suggest complaining to hosting establishment, the bank, and alerting BBG that you will be pursuing a charge back if they don't reverse the charges. Banks should not be allowing them to run credit cards with the number of outstanding complaints that they have.

• YET ANOTHER POOR VICTIM HERE RIPPED OFF BY THESE FILTHY CROOKS AT BBG. THEY SHOULD BE HUNG! MADE THREE CALLS FROM COSTA RICA TO CALIFORNIA. ONE TO MY MOTHER ON X-MAS DAY LASTING LESS THAN 3 MIN., A SECOND MADE TO CHECK MY VOICEMAIL IN WHICH I WAS CUT OFF SHORT LESS THAN 10 SECONDS, AND A THIRD TO FINALLY RETREIVE MY MESSAGES LASTING LESS THAN A MINUTE OR TWO. EACH CALL WAS CHARGED TO MY VISA AT $49.10 U.S.!!! $147.30 FOR LESS THAN 5 MINUTES PHONE TIME!!! WHERE IS THE JUSTICE???? HANG THESE CORPORATE CRIMINALS!!!

• Dp
    DPLCLTD May 04, 2010

### GBP60 for 2 x 2 min calls to UK from Paris

• Li
    Linda1205 Nov 21, 2013

Why has nothing been done about this rip off company, I had the same all complaints above, in a pay phone using my credit card in Manchester, England to a landline in `Sheffield, England, they took 2 x's £6.56 then tried to take £25.00 but I got through to an operator who said my credit card had been declined, thank goodness my credit card company stopped this, thinking it had been stolen and that BBG communications had tried 4 times to collect £6.56 !!! I will never go in a pay phone again. In the end I went into Vodafone store and used there phone FREE

• Gw
    gwince42 Sep 26, 2014

I agree. I stupidly
    made a call too some massechusses which only lasted all of 20mins. The next day I had a call from my bank asking If I'd made the call and I said yes but was informed by my bank at the time the call had been charged too me from BBG at £17.70 yet when I checked my account a few days later I found the robbing ### had taken £59.80.Now my fight is on with them and my bank.

• Pa
    Pauline Harris May 07, 2017

I am a victim of overcharging, yesterday I forgot my mobile and had to ring home, a local call to the next town and no more than 60p in the public call box.
    They have taken £6 from my account for a 1 minute call, that is a disgrace

• Pa
    Pauline Harris May 08, 2017

@Pauline Harris And another 95p has gone out today

• Ri
    Rita Chan Mar 29, 2018

I just had the same experience in London Heathrow Airport! I made a local call for 3mins, my credit card was charged US$10! Crazy and ridiculous! This company shouldn’t exist in the wold!