Baer's Furniturepoor customer service from the owner

A copy of this letter was mailed to Baers Furniture and American Express Card

I am writing to complain about Baers Furniture unfair business practice. My husband and I have been loyal Baers customers over the years and we were very disappointed about the manner in which the top executive and customer service person, Mrs. Baers handled, I should say mishandled this issue.
We bought furniture at the Boca Raton store and were awarded a $300 Baers gift card because we used our American Express credit card and the total purchase amount met the criteria. We returned to the store on three occasions but were not able to decide on a purchase. On one visit, we even took the gift card to the customer service desk to check the balance because we were worried about the incremental decrease over time. We were assured that the full value would be maintained until it was used. At no time were we informed that this was only a promotional gift card that was due to expire shortly. There was no expiration date or notice imprinted on the card. We wrongly assumed the card was a real gift card that was like other gift cards (the value did not disappear) and bearing the Baers name we were confident that it was legitimate.
Finally, we found the perfect items that were valued at $300 and tried to use the card. Only then, after several calls were made we were told that the card could not be processed. We were advised to return during the week when a supervisor was available and could make a decision about the card. The following Tuesday when my husband returned he had the misfortune of meeting Mrs. Baers. She informed him that the card had expired and that there was nothing to be done and added that he wanted her goods for free.
As I stated we have been loyal customers because we had enjoyed previous purchase experiences. My husband felt that Mrs. Baers actions and comments were insulting and her customer service skills were below that which we received from the mere employees.
Mrs. Baers had the authority and ability to make right the injustice of issuing a “gift card” with the Baers name knowing full well it would have NO value by the time it as used. The card should clearly show that it is not a real gift card because it expires, without warning. Under the circumstances, the card should have been honored and the mistakes corrected for future promotions. I am sure that American Express would have done just that. I will be sure to caution American Express to choose their partners more wisely when using their good name to make promotional sales.