Babies R Usassembly instructions

M

The short version is poor preparation of product (the Babi Italia crib came without instructions) and then extremely poor customer service trying to rectify the situation.
In more detail:
It's was bad enough that our crib to replace a recalled crib didn't have instructions in it, but then we couldn't find them anywhere online. I called the Springfield store where we purchased it. First, Kurt said they were online. I then spent quite a while on the phone with him while he looked for them and couldn't find them, just like I couldn't. He then said he had a book of them and we could come in and get a copy. I wanted to be sure so asked him if he had them there in front of him for our crib. I heard pages flipping and then he said yes, so thought that meant he had seen them. When we got to the store, Kurt couldn't find them. Neither could the manager that was on duty. Evidently, only the manager not on duty knew where they were (why couldn't we have been told this before making the long drive over there?). When asked if the instructions could be scanned and emailed to us, the manager on duty, Terry said that don't have that capability. However, when I gave him our address for them to be mailed, he offered to drive to our house and drop them off for us. A very nice offer, just too bad he didn't mean it. The other manager found them later that day and called to let us know, but said Terry would not be dropping them off. At least they are still willing to mail them. Oddly enough, they are going to mail their only copy (I had asked about a possibility of them being faxed on Monday, but they couldn't be if they were in the mail because she would mail their only copy. She even said this out loud and didn't realize how bad that sounded!) Of course this is late on a Saturday, so our baby is either sleeping on the floor or in a dangerous bed for several more days. It was hard to tell if this other manager (wish I'd gotten her name) was being rude or had an intelligence problem. We had gotten a copy of intructions from Kurt, but for the wrong crib (we thought they might be similar enough to work), so understandably I wanted to make sure she was sending the right instructions. I mean, we really had been jerked around enough that to wait for the wrong instructions would have been very frustrating. Kurt said there were many styles of Babi Italia dropside cribs, so I asked her to describe what the picture looked like to make sure it matched. She replied "it's a picture of a crib". When I said I wanted a description so I could be sure it was the right crib, we already had instructions for the wrong Babi Italia crib, she said "it's a dropside crib". Do you think she's stupid or rude? They all had distinct styling on the boards that distinguish them, but she just refused to describe this. After describing the style as "curved" I gave up trying to communicate with her.
I've had it with babies r us. We're stuck in Springfield IL where it is the only baby shop, but I'll just order from Amazon.com from now on. Seems like it would cost more, but when you factor in the price of gas for driving over there repeatedly to fix their mistakes, I'm sure I would have saved a lot of money.

• Sk
    skillefan20 Feb 25, 2011

Had you ever thought of contacting the manufacturer and alot of stores dont have the capability to fax because they dont have fax machines. The best option was to mail them to you by fedex. Another question have you ever worked retail? I would say no because you have no idea how much retail people have to deal with on a daily basis. They deal with the biggest a holes and have to bite their tounges maybe think about that next time you want to say somebody had an intelligence problem that was very rude.