Atty Howard Lee SchiffTook more money and refused to help

I wouldn't normally go this far as to write something online regarding a company. However, these rotten, ruthless individuals had me over a barrel in the beginning of the year and I'm still seathing over it. Due in part to the fact that they appear to be untouchable. I contacted the Atty. Generals office not once but twice with no response. I decided to do a little research and come to find out...one of the Attorney's in that firm appears to hold a seat in the State of Ct.
I owed Capital One $916.00. I sent everything but $200.00 to them. Schiff's office compared what they had to what I had and there was an amount of $316.00 I sent that they didn't have. They wanted proof. I got them proof from the bank and had the VP of the bank contact them. They told us to fax the statement to them which had all the information they needed and that would satisfy them. Now keep in mind they have put a $750.00 freeze on my account! Well because Capital One does an ACH Draft, it means I, nor the bank ever gets a copy of the check back. The cash is automatically withdrawn.
The freeze is still on my account a week later. I called Schiffs office again. Explain the situation and they tell me that the statement faxed with all the information, (who it was payable to, my name, the dollar amount and date) was not good enough! They wanted the account number to Capital One that it was paid to. Well Capital One won't talk to me because it's in collection with Schiff. I asked if they would call their client, Capital One. The guy tells me..."No Way, we will not do that it's not our responsibility" Continued to tell me "it's my problem and they will not help me. I can call whoever I want...a lawyer, my bank, it didn't matter they were not doing anything for me"
Needless to say, I could never obtain this information, therefore these low life people have now received $316.00 more than what they should have. May not seem like a lot of money to most but it certainly did some damage to my budget.
Good Luck to anyone who has to deal with these people. I despise them with all of my being. How these people sleep at night is beyond me. I just hope that one day when they fall upon difficult financial times someone treats them just as they have treated all of us who have been tortured by them.

johnworc Feb 19, 2010

I have HAD IT with these people! I was unfairly and deceptively scared into signing a judgment with these ###, I was not informed that I had the right to dispute the debt (which I believe they are required to do by law) was told that I did not want to waste the courts time and could go to jail which is illegal and I did not know this. I met them in the hallway BEFORE the courtroom, they acted like my best friend and I was basically scared into signing it and I personally NEVER stepped foot in a court room. I wish I knew then what I know now.
    I have filed complaints with the Massachusetts Division of Banks, The Massachusetts Attorney General, I have written to the Governor of Massachusetts also my State Rep and the FTC. These people need to be stopped doing what they are doing, basically skating the line of the law because while they are attorneys, in reality they are debt collectors but are not subject to licensing as so because of their attorney status . I am currently looking into filing a class action lawsuit against them for deceptive practices but need more people that have been deceived like I have been. please email me at [email protected]

• Wa
    Waydisco?? Mar 24, 2010

Well her is my situation, I had an account sen to Howard Schiff for collection, was scared into a payment, made the payment in the amount on $1053.00 and the account was considered paid as agreed and removed form my credit report in 2004. Guess what here it is 2010 and some credit collection agency is reporting $443 on my credit report from the orginating agency Lord and Taylor, stating that it was never fully paid!!! Some who Howard Schiff never reported the account properly and now they sold the account to another collection agencies for the balance of interest and late fees. I am looking feverishly for my letter that states that my account was paid as agree and I am going to talk to my lawyer to see what type of actions I can take again Howard Schiff for lying to me and going against what I have in writing. I greatly dislike this company and will tell anyone who is dealing with them, make sure you keep you back up documentation!