Allstate Insurancetheft

My home was broken into for the second time on 3/21/2010. I reported my claim to Allstate. They have been less than cooperative with helping me through my loss. Their customer service has been horrible, unprofessional and less than sympathetic. First I was told that my claim would be "express" then they decide to switch it over to their local office in Woodridge and drag it out. In the meantime my home has a broken gate, broken door and a busted out window that I had to pay for out of pocket since my claim was taking the "allowed 30 days" to process. They told me that they would work around my schedule but I had to take off work for the examiner to come out to my house a full WEEK after the break in. Then when the examiner comes out, her camera dies so I have to email her the pics that I took after the break in occurred. While she is here she asks me to sign a paper requesting to run my credit. WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY BREAK IN? She questioned my whereabouts the night of the break in, called my pregnant best friend and my fiancee, called the place that I was at while my home was being broken into. I feel as if they are treating me like a criminal, victimizing me again. Constantly they are asking me for receipts for items that I no longer have receipts for. I didn't have to produce receipts for my first break in and no where in my policy does it state that I need to keep all receipts of everything I own. I thankfully kept a couple of boxes from a few of the stolen items that I kept out in my garage. Because I couldn't produce receipts for certain items, they decided not to cover them Out of over $3000 worth of items stolen from my home, they sent me a check for $78.00 because of "depreciation and my lack of proof of purchase". What would they have done if I had heirloom items? Not covered them either? Considering that I've worked in the insurance industry for 9 years myself, I know good customer service and I would advise any and all consumers to stay away from this fraudulent company. Their lack of covering items cost me my engagement ring. I had to return it to cover the items stolen from my home.
I could have saved my money and NOT had insurance and covered my own missing items. They haven't covered my door, my gate, my I-pod and a laptop that was in my possession that I paid for. I'm canceling this horrible policy and severing ties with the worse insurance company ever as soon as I finish writing to the Better Business Bureau and the Department of Insurance.

• Rl
    R. L. A. Washington State Dec 16, 2012

I'm sorry for those of you having had a bad experience with Allstate Insurance Company. We, my wife and I, just a few weeks from age 70, had a similar experience with another Top Rated Insurance company many years ago and we know the pain of bad representation by both Claims and Agents. We were "valued" customers for over 25 years, until our claim, of course.
    They caused as much or more trauma to our loss than the burglars did. We were away from home at the time of the robbery but my 85 year old father was next door and fortunately didn't walk into a possibly life threatening situation, his being an eye witness. We were treated as if we had done something wrong and or had fraudulent intentions. I will forever tell this story to whom ever will listen.

We read comments, listened to recommendations and tried to do as much research as possible before going with another Insurance Company. We decided on going with Allstate Insurance Co. and have been with them for several years. We live in a farming area with an annual migration of Farm Labor coming and going as needed for each harvest-able item. We have never missed or lost a nut and bolt. Our guess it was just our turn to get robbed, according to the Sheriff Deputy theft goes up as the harvest ends and people leave the area until next year. I called my agent who was more than helpful and she directed me to the Claims people at Allstate. "I can't praise the lady I initially talked to enough". She was on it like a duck on a bug and helped us through every aspect of the claims process which was as advertised, "Express claims". All that was required of me was to send the Sheriff's report and Case number along with a list of stolen items, descriptions, ages and costs. Of course there's a depreciation factor but we received a preliminary check to start replacing items within the first week along with continued support from this lady and her peers.

So, take it for what it's worth. We've heard all of the Good Hands jokes and even laughed about the imagery but, the bottom line is; "We truly have been in Good Hands through this entire Claims Process with magnificent people from our Agent Debbie, all the way through and including our claims lady, Michele". Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

• Ap
    AppalledCustomer Jul 14, 2010

wow, i'm so sorry your house was broken into, but i'm even more sorry at the decrepid way this horrible insurance company has treated you!

Wow.. I'm hunting for a new insurance company myself, and after reading your post, I'll hunt more dilligently!

I just got a flat tire and I cannot even get them to accept the receipt I got from the towing company, even though I'm covered for roadside assistance and I had to pay the guy out of pocket!
    Then they claimed they were going to CANCEL my insurance policy today, even though it's just due today!
    What a crock of crooks this place is!

Thanks for the advice though. Again, I'm sorry what happened to you.

• Ni