Alabama Powerbad service

A Review updated:

I live in Alabama and my power bill has doubled since this time last year. I have not been running my heating and cooling system either. I called Alabama power and of course I got a range of excuses. My kwh has increased but I am doing nothing different. I have new appliances and there is only 2 people living in the house. I didn't notice my bill increasing so much till a house was built next to mine. I know that Alabama power has increased there rates but the increase is well above what the increase is suppose to be.
I am disabled and live on a fixed income. My power bill is not far from reaching what my house payment is and I don't have the money. I have no choice but to turn everything off. I run one space heater now and have turned all the lights off. I was just running 3 space heaters before now. I can understanding it increasing with there price increase but doubling is not right.

• Updated by Jamesguy999 · Sep 30, 2018

A power line was replaced and they just left the old pole with all of the wiring in the yard (huge liability). When I called and a technician came out (not friendly) he said that they must've forgotten it. It's been 4 days. I see parts of the trees that are burned in the back. I'm calling a lawyer.

• Updated by Cadetric · Aug 14, 2019

Wyatt jordon, appliances center sales associate is attempting to violate my rights to purchase appliances using my al power company account because I reported her because of illegal measures she attempted to hold me accountable for.

• Updated by Cadetric · Aug 14, 2019

Alabama Power Company Sales Associates Aren't Trained Properly To Do The Job Their Hired To Perform Which Leave Customer To Deal With Terrible Customer Service !!!

• Gu
    Guy1111 Sep 15, 2019

Alabama power [censored]ing sucks. They just blatantly do not do their job.

• Cadetric Aug 19, 2019

Whyetta jordan, sales associate denied my application for appliances because she didn't understand that a old bill on a closed account in which alabama power company executives apologized for allowing someone to utilize my account then set up a new account while trespassing in my home. I was awarded a $ 400.00 credit because of these illegal acts.

Jamesguy999 Oct 15, 2018

A power line was replaced in my back yard and instead of hauling off the old power pole with all the electrical parts still attached (huge liability), it was left in my back yard. It's been 4 days. A technician that was very unhelpful said they must have just forgot it and they'll come pick it up? This is unacceptable. I'm calling a lawyer.

• Ji
    Jim#Smith Sep 19, 2018

Oliver Tatum he passed on August 28, 2017. His address is 497 37th Terrace West Birmingham, Alabama 35207. Utility is still on in his name. This couldn't be legal.

• Mi
    Misty Bailey Edwards Sep 10, 2018

I called to inquire about a power outage because my grandfather is on insulin that has to be refrigerated. The lady informed me that this was an act of God that couldn't be helped (the weather). I don't need smart responses when I'm concerned about my family's health and we are all paying customers. Thank you.

• Ka
    Kayla G Aug 15, 2018

For the past two days on and off my power I has been flickering on and of . My food is starting to spoil and nobody can give me a reason why. I need answers now on how we can get this issue resolved.

• Ph
    Phillip Williams Aug 15, 2018

Power off during the night and happens very often in Pinckard Al community. Sorry services

Mark Odom Feb 20, 2018

I'm a disabled Alabamian and Alabama power has charged me $719 for January 2018.. I have never had a power bill close to this amount.. I am 61 years old and the smart girl that talked to me says that I need to turn my heat down so my bill will be lower... Really?? I am insulted. These smart meters arent working out in Alabama.. they change the rates based on peak usage hours.. They give us a usage figure for the month that is in flux never the same.. they adjust usage by the hour.. Is there anyone else out there having this problem?? They need to be honest with people and tell them they cant compete with gas so people wont do the same mistake I have by changing over to all electric.. People cant stay warm with Alabama power. They are crooked and dishonest.
    My name is Mark Odom
    [email protected]

• Ro
    Ronnie greenlee Dec 27, 2017

My power bill tripled the month of Nov 2017 well I wasn't home that month I was in the hospital with my wife that month so no one was there I micro manage my daily usege nothing was on but my fridge I turn my hot water down we don't cook there and my washer been broken and the air been off I don't understand y my daily use went up when no one there answer me that Alabama power

Racheql Sep 27, 2017

I hate this company with a passion. I called for a payment extension for some reason they only give you 5days instead of 10 before. Which still doesn't help me because I get paid on Wed. I was told by a Rep to take the date given as the Max 9-25 and call back to have it noted on my account that I would be in to pay it before end of business wed. Did that so why did they turn off my electric this morning. I called an the Rep said she was sorry she saw the notes but she guessed the guy was already out before it was sent to him. So now I have to pay the balance plus a $50 reconnection fee before I can get them back on. That pisses me off. I have small kids and I'm not rich. The representatives are rude and tell you whatever you want to hear to get you off the line. I wish another company would run this money hungry company out of business.

• Pr
    Prokurse Jul 18, 2016

Asked them to repair my 7 year old Kenmore refrigerator. Came same day. I told them when they arrived it would be the evaporator fan or control for it. Diagnosed as the fan. Replacement part at WWW.RepairClinic.com: $27.55. 2nd day FedEx $18.

I was just told, 2 days after their visit, that the part "might be in this week". $90 up-front charge and non-refundable. This is Alabama and it's 85 degrees. No refrigerator. I built machinery for 30 years and was many times on 24 hour overseas repair call.

Having to wait 7 days for an exceedingly simple repair is NOT a way to do business.

• Rc
    RCrutch May 26, 2016

We've had a similar experience. After raising hell with the attorney general's office, the d.a.'s office & the public service commission...Alabama power tested our meter & put a new one on the house...nothing changed. After continuing to make calls & telling the a.g. I was getting an attorney, AL power put yet another meter on our house...our bill dropped, on average $90 a month! They are ripping the people of AL off! All I can say is make calls...annoy them crap out of everyone you can think of...get an attorney if you have to

• Mr
    Mrae78 May 26, 2016

I am fed up with Alabama power and this budget billing. Our bill has increased, at least, $70 per month over the past year. Nothing has changed... They are robbing us!! Something definitely has to be done.

• Re
    Reviewer86018 Feb 04, 2016

Alabama power had turned my family lights which they just had them switched over to the apartment when my mother and father went down there they asked for these least which they showed them and then Alabama Power wanted them $250 for a reconnect fee my mother paid it was scheduled for them to turn they lights back on today but they couldn't cause they said they we're backed up today

• Rc
    RCrutch Dec 07, 2015

I have had the same problem with AL Power!! I've gotten usage reports and our usage skyrockets during the day while we are at work and our central unit is off!! Yet AL Power tells me we must have left an appliance on, there's nothing they can do and the "smart meter" is running perfectly. I too have called the public service commission, a total wast of time! They checked the meter and told us it was accurate...thanks for nothing!
    We have a gas fireplace that we heat with in the winter, so a normal power bill for us would be $60 - $90 dollars. Over the last 2 winter it's $150 - $195! I'm supposed to believe that leaving my TV plugged in causes this...AL Power is a joke!

• Wg
    WGregC Oct 01, 2015

I agree they are ripping us all of. I just calculated my usage verses paid amount for the past 17 bills under my budget billing.
    From 8/4/14 - 9/28/15 I had a total usage costs of $2398.86
    That same time period I paid $2719 in my budget billing.
    I've paid them $320.14 extra.
    If I had (for arguments sake) the exact same usage the next 17 months as last, and my budget billing was identical, by the end of the next 17 bills I would have then paid them $620.28
    AL Power take notice! You owe me $320.14

• Fs
    FShonda Sep 21, 2015

My power was disconnected on 09/11/2015. I get paid this Friday and I spoke with a CSR on 09/11/2015 and she said that all I had to pay was $274.21 to restore my service. I call today 09/21/2015 because I received another bill on Friday and she told me that if I didn't pay the bill within five days than I had to pay the entire bill which is $482.18 plus $225.00 deposit. I have never heard this in my life. I am livid!!!

• Ce
    cedric b jones Mar 30, 2015

I spoke with a manager recently about a proven issue with alabama power bill matrix system and the customer service and management just seem to act as if they could care less about what the customer has to say. I guess since there is no other power service providers but alabama power they are correct.

• Mi
    michael t young Mar 29, 2015

I always used dothan utility my bill ranged from 60 to 100 because I never be home to use anything got a mobile home that I'm sad to say is with Alabama power now and I still never have anything on now my bills are 175 to 200 how is this possible when no one is never here from 4 a.m. to 8. P.m. why are y'all ripping use off?????

• Jh
    JHyde45 Mar 26, 2015

Alabama power has very rude employees! !!! They turned off my power 11 days after it was due and within those 11 days I spoke with a csr that told me it was okay to make payments. ..called back after it was cut off they said the payment arrangements weren't on my account and it was nothing they could do. ..so why wasn't that mention when I made a payment? ???? I HATE ALABAMA POWER!

• Be
    BETTY1072 Mar 11, 2014

My parents was given a voucher to help with they bill, they also have appliance with Alabama Power, not concern with the appliance just the bill. The voucher was sent in but was excepted then not excepted, the lady call and told me she give me to a certain time to have it all after the fact a lady had gave me a arrangement on the appliance, she was going to put my parents in the cold over something the company could have easily pick up, the utilities is well more important then the appliance. My parents are disable and my father had just took a fall..Alabama Power do what they want !! WHERE are the people that suppose to be overseeing companies like this.

• Ro
    Rosalyn334 Jan 29, 2014

I'm a new home owner and I pay all of my bills on time, but when it comes to my power bill it doubles! I was nine months pregnant when they cut my power off and told me it was nothing they can do, of course I'm a single parent and during my maternity leave it was on a fixed income, I even came up to Alabama power to show them how much my check was and what I could pay but the ### did not care, they had me and my newborn child stuck in the cold for four weeks and wouldn't give me an extension until I went back to work., during that time I had to return back to work early and it caused me a world of medical issues, after paying the 700.00 bill they gave me they raised it from the original 159.00 to Damn near 350.00 a month and told me I was using too much in my house, I told the lady my power been off four weeks, how in the he'll in used anything? She rolled her eyes at me and started typing and then gave me a smug look and said, well it's not my problem is can talk to the hot line, haha in laughed and walked away, I swear to god I hate Alabama power and I can't wait until another power company comes to beat there rates?! I hope it shuts down and everyone employed there never finds another job again in there lives, I can't believe the heartless son of a batches who work there haha buying know posting this doesn't make a difference but whoever reads this please be careful dealing with these people they are cold hearted and just try and find anyway to get money from you, I currently stay in valley grande now and have another power company with wonderful service. I feel for anyone staying in city limits who have to deal with the ###

• We
    weunite Oct 22, 2013

I completely agree that Alabama Power is a hateful / heartless company. We paid one day past our payment agreement, and they turned it off after we paid! They said that technically we breached the agreement. We explained our situation and pleaded with them(seeing as we did pay) Nothing but hate on their part. And to top it off 3 late fees and a $75 cut on fee was added, to make it harder on us when we're already struggling. What's also sad is we paid the extra $2 bux a month to help those in need on our bill. But they showed a severe lack of human decency.

• Ju
    Justice for Leah and Katy Oct 22, 2013

Justice for Leah and Kety, "Mother, 9-year-old daughter die due to Wilton house fire ...Friday, 18oct2013 - AL.com"
    They was burn alive due to gross negligence of this criminal company, who failure to fix the electricity problem one day before, respective Thursday 17oct2013, and show up the next day Friday 18oct 2013, after the horrible tragic incident was already produce. Leah have an advance Asperger syndrome. We know what was happened and looking for anybody who believe was and it is mistreat by this criminal company to sign petition for class action against Alabama Power Company. While peoples died burn alive, the Executive Compensation, Charles D. McCrary it is 5, 608, 165Total compensation/2012(approximation of 6milion dollars/2012!!!) We pray to GOD to make justice to Leah and Katy, two innocent peoples, mother and daughter, who find they death, burning alive. You can imagine how it is to be to burn alive?! Please contact me e-mail: [email protected] to fight together against this criminals, and prevent future innocent peoples mistreatment and horrible death. God bless!

• Ba
    Bama_Blues May 18, 2013

Alabama Power shows no one any mercy. And what ever you do don't expect the Alabama Public Service Commission to help. They charged me a high deposit to open my business, and I was told it was so high because they had to estimate what I was use in a 12 month period. Their own bi-laws state this, but now that I have been in business for 6 + year, I got my average usage by adding 12 months service up and dividing it by twelve. The original deposit I put up was almost 2 times that. I asked for 1/2 of my deposit back based on their on rules and bi-laws but they refused to do so. I then contacted the Alabama Public Service Commission which was a joke. They seem to take their side on anything, and after explaining to them that they are the ones that created their own bi-laws which is what I was going by, I was actually hung up on by the Public Service Commission. I give up... All I can do is say enjoy my money you bunch of crooks...

• Ho
    Hollywood Cole Apr 04, 2013

My bill also skyrocketed when the new meters were put in, and I was not even living in the house yet. No refrigerator, no AC (cold weather), gas heat, gas water heater. There was nothing running except a light and the gas heat while we were repairing the house. I had a bill like a small family lived there for months before I moved in. The bill was exponentially more ridiculous when I actually did move in. The phone reps always insist that it is something drawing in your house, even if the house is empty with the breaker switched off. I just had to eat **** and move on because there is no other option and they insist their meter is working properly. I was shocked when recently the high bills I have grown accustomed to doubled AGAIN. Mind you that it is winter and I have gas heat and gas heated water (thank God!), so the only electricity my wife and I use is for lighting (and we literally keep ONE light on at night to keep that cost down), LCD TV (costs several dollars a YEAR to operate) and washing clothes (We wash maybe two loads a week). I tried to contest my bill and request research, (I had plenty in my account to pay it, I just wanted to make sure I paid the correct amount) and without any further communication or notice they DISCONNECTED my power, and told my wife I have to pay an extra $75 on top of my erroneous high bill to have the thieves come back and reconnect it. This is highway robbery and bullying by a utility company with an obvious monopoly. We have to put a stop to it!

• Al
    ALpowerhater Mar 14, 2013

I hate Alabama Power!!! We paid all the past due on our bill less than 2 weeks ago, and we still had our power cut off today. When I called and finally talked to an actual person, instead of explaining to me why this happened the customer service person was extremely rude and condescending. In my opinion, Alabama Power knows they can treat customers like dirt because we have no other option for our power service. If we didn't pay what we were suppose to pay then there needs to be a way for them to contact us and let us know before the power is cut off. I think the only reason they don't want to work with you is the money they are making on the high reconnection fees. I wish I could live off the grid and then I would not have to deal with the jerks. I hate Alabama Power!!!

ragrier Feb 25, 2013

UPDATE on Webb, AL

Alabama Power finally did come through. We have power on our farm!!! woo hoo!!!
    A person from the Eufaula office, Virginia (Ginger) Dean, got involved and everything was put in place as originally agreed at the original price. It took over a year and a half, but it is done.

R. A. Grier

• Rm
    rmb2014 Feb 23, 2013

Tried to pay my bill with a routing number to avoid the fee of paying with a credit card. The routing number was correct, checked with my bank to make sure the number was correct, had WAY more than enough to cover my small bill for my small apartment. Next thing I know I get a bill in the mail that I was being charged a 20.00 dollar fee for no funds/delinquent payment. Double and triple checked the number, it was correct, called the bank and they said there was never an attempt to withdraw. Now I'm stuck paying an extra 20.00 for no reason at all. Unacceptable. Glad I'm not the only one having trouble with them.

ragrier Nov 30, 2012

Alabama Power agreed to run service to our new home site and quoted a price. We paid in full to the tune of about 3700 dollars for the new service to be run. Then we waited...

Then, the changes started. Originally, they waived the new home start as long as we had plans. I told them we had plans in the works and that my draftsman could produce a copy at any time we wanted to show Alabama Power. Then they need to see something constructed. We built a 25x30 shop with concrete foundation. Then they wanted $19k more. Then they HAD to see a living space. We bought a double-wide mobile home to move to the property until out new home can be built. Then the price went up to $4600 more...

I contacted the Alabama PSC and that was a waste of time. I did however discover that the original estimate that we paid in full was ESTIMATED WRONG. Hmmmm, I wonder why they have been trying to get more money all along! You know what? Why the hell didn't they just tell me that they made a mistake? Admit the error, knock a few "feel-good" bucks off the difference and I would have paid it. What did they do instead? They implied the changes so that "any alteration to the original requested service" could VOID the original agreement! They lied about the "necessary" changes so they wouldn't have to admit the mistake and run the power!!

The final statement by the PSC was that I could feel free to get a private attorney to sue Alabama Power. Yeah... let's do that math! Ronald Reagan was right, The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

It's ok though. One day the people who are liars, cheats, and thieves will have to answer to God. If I get lucky, the day may come that those liars, cheats and thieves will have to answer to me!

Robert A. Grier
    Webb, Alabama

• Ci
    Citizen Rogue Jan 17, 2012

I strongly agree with all the complaints ... except in my case, it's less about money and more about seemingly arbitrary interruptions of service. Interruption of service is sporadic, always unrelated to the weather, and outage time can vary from 15 minutes to a day. Of course I pay my monthly bill, so outage has nothing to do with anything on my end. I even recall a long-ago letter written to the Birmingham News by a resident who complained that, every time the wind blew, the power went out. Except in my case, there's no wind blowing! It just goes out! All I care about is being able to getting a reasonably-guaranteed service for what I'm already paying. Why is this even an issue? I'm beginning to suspect that interruption is deliberate at times so the company itself can save money ...

• Al
    AL POWER HATER Sep 10, 2011

Not only is the price ridiculous, but the tree trimming business is a joke. We have been in our house for many years. The trees were already planted when we moved in and have not grown very much more than when we moved in. They are Bradford Pears and dogwoods. The idiots showed up this morning and just butchered the trees. They cut the bradford pear back to the midpoint on one side only. Then they proceeded to cut the top off the dogwood tree which was not touching the lines. It was actually too short to reach them. We called and were told that Alabama Power was not contracting any tree service in our area. We went back out to the truck and told them to get a supervisor to our home immediately and guess who pulls up? A "manager" with Alabama Power. Hmmm??? After we lodged our complaint and let them know what we were advised by our attorney to sue, they offered to cut our tree down completely and bring a replacement tree. If they were not in the wrong, then why in the world would they be trying to kiss my butt and keep me from suing them? These people had rather climb a tree and lie while cutting it down, than to stand on the ground and tell the truth! A-HOLES!!!

sarahmit11 Sep 06, 2011

same for me as well

• Bu
    butterfliege Aug 16, 2011

I have had it with ALabama Power everytime we have some money left the power bill sucks it in. We where on a bugded bill so our bill was 181 the regular bill but we have to pay 308 what kind of budget is that??? Funny Budget billing you people must be thinking we are stupid!!!
    If anybody is out there that is fed up with this crazy billing please contact me at my email [email protected]
    maybe together we can do something because I would like to have some money left before I kick the bucket!!!
    Please lets do something together what ever it is we can do!!! HELP!!!

• Bc
    BCJBRADEN Apr 13, 2011

I despise Alabama Power!!! Any other company is willing to help you when you're going through hardships...all they have is "budget billing" which is no budget at all and then when you reach out to them b/c you are unable to pay your $400 power bill on time they say, "Sorry you're eligible for disconnect, so there's nothing we can do"
    The last time my power was disconnected we had to pay over $1, 000 to get it turned back on. They charged a $250 reconnect fee (which took all of 10 min. for him to come out to reconnect it) along with other fees for God only knows what. It seems like their CS people get paid extra to be rude. I hate hate hate Alabama power!!!

• I called the Public Service Commission and it was explained to me that Alabama Power takes a 15 min period of your kw usage (they pick a time when it's the highest useage, and this was approved by the Public Service Commission!) to base my monthly rate (and they can use this 15min period forever). That seems unconstitutional to me. If something isn't done about this a lot of small business will go under due to power bills! If they can read these meters from somewhere else can they manipulate them to read the useage that they're coming up with from this 15min period instead of my actual useage? And when speaking to Alabama Power, they couldn't explain to me how they were coming up with the kw hours that were on my bill. Whoever heard of coming up with a number for useage and multiply it by 40 to get my total charge on my bill?! But this is what they're doing.

• Je
    Jeff5851 Jan 28, 2011

Sorry about the numbers that popped up I check over it before submitting. That's strange

• Je
    Jeff5851 Jan 28, 2011

I'm in. Great post we need a way that everybody can meet and build a large body of people and plan for protest and have the news get involved so even more people can see. The problem is like you said lots of people just complain. Just say we are going to be at Alabama power to protest I don't think anybody will show. Maybe my problem is I have lost faith in the American people cause no one will do anything. And our Government does suck no one in the White House gives a crap all they care about is making each others pockets fatter.Making up job titles for each other. Don't forget the 5 Trillion $ that dumb A-- has spent and I close to being out of work. Now gas prices are going sky high. Somebody tell me why they have to profit 100 billion's of dollars a year once again the Government does nothing Let me tell you why. They all are slipping money in each others pockets and the economy falls more but do you think they see it NO cause when you make $500 Thousand dollars a year you can't tell a difference. What happened to what our 4 Fathers built? People we have been CHEATED and we are paying for it. I love my Country but this is not how it started. I could keep going but I'm out of time so I'm going to sign off with I hope all you S.O.B's in the White House, Oil company & ALABAMA POWER get wind of this and they can go to hell. Stop laying down people take a stand Email [email protected] THEY WILL HEAR MY VOICE Thank you

• 34
    3463davis Jan 27, 2011

Bill only goes up, even after changes have been made. Fighting a loosing battle. I could flip the breakers for a month and my bill would be higher.

• 34
    3463davis Jan 27, 2011

Yes! To the last post! Something has to be done now! Protest is in order. Emails and forum want help us. Only a large body of people will stop these Shenanigans! After all, are we not Americans! Well, I am, are you? There is a problem with America, and the cause is you and I and your friends and family. The problem is that we LET the Government and Companies like Alabama Power just simply control our lives. All we do is complain over the phone. Help me, help you. Facebook me or email me if anyone would like to Protest. [email protected] Only you can help.