24 Hour Fitnesspoor members treatment!

I was a member at 24 Hour Fitness since 1997, and I am writing to give a brief detail about an unexpected situation that happened to me at club 304 in Houston recently.

I have been living in New York City for the past three years (where I cannot take advantage of my membership because there are no 24 hour locations here), yet I continued to pay my annual membership. For the holidays I went home to visit with my mom for Thanksgiving and didn’t hesitate to check out the 24 Hour Fitness that is located down the street from where my mom lives. However, the front desk attendant, Sandra, said I was not allowed to work-out at the facility because it was only for members who had a ‘Sports’ membership. Why would I pay $10 to workout when I pay an annual membership that I can’t even use regularly? After sending a complaint letter to the 24 Hour Fitness Headquarters, 2 representatives: Eric & Herbert, didn’t show any understanding and stood by their corporate policy that I must pay to upgrade my membership in order to workout at their ‘sports gym’. I gave them an opportunity to reconsider this decision and understand that I pay an annual membership that I cannot even take advantage of, but they still failed to see what was right – in my opinion. Thus, I am not continuing my membership and cannot believe that their customer relations department & managers at the gyms have no idea on how to treat members properly.

• Mi
    Michael Freeman Dec 28, 2006

I signed up for a membership with 24 hour fitness at work in Omaha, Nebraska on approximately 11-8-06. They scanned my bank debit card and were supposed to charge me $64.00. On 11-9-06 they withdrew $114.16. I contacted them on 11-9-06, and spoke with a Stella Hedin, and advised her of the situation. She advised that they would put the difference back into my account. The funds were not put back into my account at that time. I have since spoken to her and her supervisor Reggie Morton about 6 or 7 times by phone, and each time they assured me that the funds will be returned immediately. The funds have never been returned. I have attempted to be patient, but at this point it has been well over a month, and I can no longer trust that they will ever return the funds. It is very difficult for me to believe that a corporation like this would not even have the decency to resolve their own mistakes, but would rather have a person like myself tell everyone who will listen, that this company is a plain ordinary rip-off. Sad!

Sanjin J Jan 17, 2007

Thanks for above comments. 24-hour fitness SUCKS! I cancelled my membership in December of 2006, and they still charge my credit card for January 2007. I called 24-hour fitness again to find out that, my account is still active, and that they do not know what I am talking about, I was told to call some stupid number again. 24-hour fitness sucks big time, they stores are filthy and customer service is better in Turkey.

The worst 24-hour fitness store ever is in Kirkland, Washington, and the biggest ### in customer service is for sure store manager Jason Pinson.

Don’t go here.

Take care,
    Sanjin.

• Gr
    Greg Falco May 07, 2007

Club 1960 in Houston is bio-hazard. Machines are always sticky and dirty. I did observe an employee cleaning the machines, but this is a big club, and the is no way he can keep up. Even worse, he was using End Dust furniture polish!

• Qu
    Quinn Eaton Oct 25, 2007

Um... you pay alot less than everyone else who works out at that gym because you pay the annual fee for the smaller club. They have multiple types of clubs. Sport is a mid level, you're obviously paying for a lower one that's why they didn't let you in. If they had let you in you would have just ripped off the thousands of people who have memberships at that club.

• Je
    Jeremy Dec 08, 2007

Firstly my wallet was stolen from the locker and the manager said, upon hearing my story the manager promised one month of free membership, he took my name and membership number and advised that it would take about fifteen days to process, it never did . I spoke to him again but in vain.. They seriously don't care. Secondly I payed my bill at the fitness center in cash, for two months and they have failed to report to the financial dept. They want me to $100.00 for that two months now. I spoke to the financial dept customer service lady assured me that every thing was and taken care of. Now they want me to pay the amount. I am still a member there, because there is no other gym in and around the area that live , but when I find one I will never ever workout in 24 hour fitness. I take my words back from all my friends and family that I have recommended this fitness center. The customer service on phone was unhelpful and did not speak good English, it was like talking to a brick wall... really frustrating...

• Pi
    pissed off ex employee Apr 10, 2008

even the employess know what a joke this company is. For a multi BILLION dollar company, why cant they pay for proper traning and bonus for those who actually do thier jobs. Oh I forgot, i'ts a money hungry corp. That employ managers that hire only thier friends. Damn I was hired at the wrong time, this is why I am out of a job. When I asked one employee why he doesnt do sales, his response "that's like calling me a lair." Hey it's true. Its all about the over head and not the people or children. Stay clear of the gimmicks!

• Bu
    Bud Apr 14, 2008

Yes, 24 Hour Fitness sucks. The people working in the gyms are not empowered and quite frankly don't care about you. Plus their billing department messes up if you try to change credit card billing info. But don't try calling them unless you are willing to wait for 20 minutes on hold. It's amazing such a terrible company can succeed. This should inspire all aspiring entreprenuers.

James May 16, 2008

My gripe with 24 has been with the jerks they let work there. Years ago there was this ### named Nick who worked the graveyard shift at Whittier. he was a painter and would draw images morbid and sexual in nature. He would brag to everyone about his nazi friends and since Im black he kept warning me about terminating my membership. Lastly, a personal trainer has been harrasing me too, following me around telling me to re-rack my weights. When I first encountered this individual I was doing military presses, before my last set he rudely takes the bar away. He asks oh you werent finished, I said it's cool, don't worry about it. Apparently my response wasnt enough as he ordered me to re-rack my weights. I always rack my weights, as courtesy to the staff, but apparently this guy had been picked on in High school or something as he now thinks he can follow me around and talk to me like a child. Anyway I called the manager and logged a complaint. Yea ### 24 hour fitness, I like the aspect of being able to work out in the dead of night, but c'mon, do something about all the jerks and egos you have working there.

• Ni
    nick Feb 25, 2009

24Hour has the worst service anywhere. For the last 3 years I have been paying my monthly membership of $10.00 a month. the amount got taken right out of my account every month. Last year, I was diagnosed with cancer. While going through chemotherapy treatments, my card was stolen and i had to get it changed. When it was changed, apparently, 24 Hour couldn't take my payments out any more. Anyways, i spoke to the supervisor about my terminated membership and she (Chris) was very condensending, extremely rude, and very untrained. I apologized to them about not contacting them that my card changed, but they couldn't understand that I may have had other things on my mind. i asked them why no one ever sent a letter or called..they said that they did send a letter out of courtesy and as she laughed at me, she told me that i should take better care of my bank account. This crap company wouldn't even reinstate a cancer survivors membership for a simple mistake. I would rather lift soup cans in my kitchen then to give this ### company another cent. I will gladly drive farther and pay more to a competitor for their service.

• He
    help Mar 10, 2009

I have a friend who is a member of a 24 hour fitness in houston texas. She's been a memeber for years and goes every morning at the same time. Well, she has a situation. an employee has stolen her personel information, like cell phone number, e-mail address and no telling what else. He keeps harrassing her over the phone and is now e-mailing her. She has complained to the managers at the gym but i don't believe any thing has been done to prevent more harrassing. So-now she's worried that he has her address and more trouble may come. What type of legal actions should she take? she's single and lives alone and worried about her safety.

• Qu
    Quinn Eaton Apr 18, 2009

I submitted a coment about a year ago in 24's defense, but i take that back now. I quit shortly after becoming a personal trainer and learning the company doesn't give a rats @ss about their customers, or employees. They worship the almighty $. That's it. I was a 2 year employee, all the managers and employees who were my best buddies then, suddenly forgot i existed and have never said a word to me since i quit, even though i still owrk out there.

TAKE IT FROM A FORMER EMPLOYEE. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR MONEY!

Christy Jun 17, 2009

I tried 24 hr fitness back in 2000 in San diego, the San Marcos, Ca location I joined and tried out a personal trainer who turned out to be a jerk on roids and the equipment was old and worked improperly, I cancelled during the one week cancellation period but I was still charged two months after cancellation and a spent hrs on hold canceling because you cant cancel in the gym it has to be over the phone to some one over seas. Fast forward to 2009 I went to 24 hr fitness in Mililani, HI I got the hard sell on a membership with EFT Electronic Funds Transfer I had to ask about other options like prepaying in advance the guy was rude and gave me a hard time, it cost less to prepay for the year then to to do EFT which is what they want people to do. I did a 7 day free to try the place out and it was old and had old equipment. When I was leaving their parking lot one of the crazy staff members tried to hit my car and was honking that I was in their way and was a completly looney tearing out of the parking lot. Well that made up my mind.I wasnt going to give this buisness my money and glad I didnt after reading about the 4 class action suits against them.

• Am
    amandahugandkiss Jun 20, 2009

why is it that people join facilities such as gyms without TAKING OWNERSHIP of what they sign ? As a former employee and a happy member I can say that 24 hour fitness has a very simple agreement !!! You sign up for a month to month debit off of your acct and if you need to cancel they bill you within 30 days . How hard is that ? So if YOU forget that you have a gym and quit going, or if other stuff comes up in YOUR LIFE why do you blame the staff there for billing you ? take some OWNERSHIP and RESPONSIBILITY!! Are you the same type of people that cry about milk prices all the time at the grocery store and demand that nickel back ? My god...

• Na
    Nanster Jul 24, 2009

Plain and simple; if you're not paying for a "Sport" membership then you cannot go to a "Sport" gym. I don't want to sound childish but, "how dumb are you?"

noo Jul 30, 2009

amandahugandkiss

i can agree with the people complaing they want a higher grade membership for 10 dollars is BS... BUT!!! WHEN YOU GET KICKED OUT OF YOUR OWN GYM>>> YOU GET CALLED A LIAR!!! YOU GET YELLED< SCREAMED AT< CURSED AT< AND EVEN GOT A PIECE OF PAPER THROWN AT ME!!! THAT IS AN OUTRAGE!!! THE GUY KICKED ME OUT OF THE GYM CAUSE SOME ONE INPUT MY BIRTH YEAR WRONG! THATS THE ONLY Thing that was wrong!!! I am a paying member and to be treated like that at my own ngym that ive been going to for almost a year is just rediculous... btw the rude asss's name is Jerry. He works the night shift at the Willowbrook location 206 i think in houston. That ### i hope he gets fired... i will compain and complain till he does...

• As
    asdfsadfsadf Nov 26, 2009

I don't go to 24 hour fitness to interact with any of the staff. I go to work out, and have been doing so for over 8 years, without any complaint. Quit talking to these workers that bother you, and stick to what you are there for. And yes, there are different levels of membership, it clearly stated in my contract the I could go to sport, but not the Supersport, of which there are only a few in the world (last time I checked was a few years ago). It is a buffet for exercise, cheap and anlaws open. Or you could pay over 100 dollars a month, have people kiss your ### and walk out a flabby ### because those places don't cater to people that want to get into shape.

• Sl
    SLAYERX Dec 10, 2009

13 Months ago I called in to 24 hour fitness to cancel my membership because I was going to be in New Zealand for 2 months and traveling for work, unable to utilize the gym... I was told that I would need to actually go to the store to cancel. Since I was already on my way to the airport, I settled for the account being put on hold because that is all they could do without me physically being there. Fine. But I just went back to 24 hour fitness today to re-activate my membership only to learn that the membership had never been put on hold...I spoke to their staff but have not been able to speak with the manager. I am hopeful that they will refund me the $468.00 that was charged while I was away. After reading these stories, I am not looking forward to my conversation with the 24Hour Manager. BTW the gym location is 4240 Redondo Beach Blvd. Torrance, CA 90504...

• Iv
    Ivy McKinney Dec 15, 2009

Bad customer service. This is pretty much business as usual. My son who is in the military cancelled 2 1/2 years ago and I recently realized my credit car is still being charged! When you call, you are referred to the manager who then refers you to to the "corporate office" which is actually your call re-routed to the Philippines! This shameful business needs to be made public.

• Ro
    Robert E. McCullough Dec 23, 2009

I am a member Robert E. McCullough B.A., Arch. of 24 Hour
    > Fitness Center at Beech Street (North Beech) San Francisco.
    > Most recently my wallet was stolen. A week earlier my clean
    > laundry was stolen from my locker and a week later after
    > that my clothes were stolen again. I informed the service
    > manager and asked him to check the cameras of people who had
    > left the mens dressing room, he would not. I went to another
    > location 24 Hour Fitness on California/Sacramento Street in
    > San Francisco to order a new 24 hour fitness card for mine
    > was in my stolen wallet. They looked up on the computer and
    > after an hour we located me (Robert E. McCullough) and
    > somebody changed my address, phone number, and date of birth
    > with somebody some one else information who had been
    > canceled, a homeless person I have recently found outfound.
    > Only an employee could access the 24 Hour Fitness files to
    > change this information and now I have two witnesses at the
    > other 24 our Fitness on
    > California/Sacramento Street who located these changes..
    > I also found several homeless people who were unfairly
    > terminated after searching for anyone who has been stolen
    > from and broken into there lockers.
    > Before I go nationally (internet) of this injustice at 24
    > Hour Fitness Center at Beech Street San Francisco I request
    > an investigation and expect compensation for my stolen
    > property in excess of $350.00.
    > Thank you for your attention to this matter.
    > Robert E. McCullough B.A., Arch.
    > e-mail address: [email protected]
    > cc: Allioto Law Firm San Francisco Ca.

• La
    Laura Lee Stone Oct 16, 2018

@Robert E. McCullough 24 HOUR FITNESS PUT ME IN DANGER STAFF AT THE SUPER SPORT IN ORANGE OBSTRUCTED JUSTICE WHEN A FAMILY OF FOUR HARASSED DISCRIMINATED AGAINST THEIR POLICY AND A WIFE OF A SOCIOPATH WHO PRETENDS TO BE SINGLE HAD HIS WIFE HE SAID HE DIVORCED TO FOLLOW ME AND ATTEMPT ASSAULT AT THE GYM ON TUSTIN AND PUT MY LIFE IN JEOPARDY AFTER 4 COURT TRIALS AND JUDGES WHO TOLD THE FAMILY TO STAY CLEAR AND THE WIFE'S RESTRAINING ORDER THAT WAS ONLY FOR 4-5 MONTHS DUE TO ORANGE PD WHO ERASED MY 911 CALLBEATING THE DOOR TO GET TO ME. FOUND OUT OFFICER HOLZ FRIEND OF THE FAMILY AND 24 HOUR FITNESS RID ME WHEN I POST AFTER THE DAUGHTER THREATENED ME BODILY HARM AND BELIEVE IT IS STAFF AT ORANGE LYING TO CORPORATE. BUT CORPORATE HERE PLAY GAMES. LAURA LEE STONE 562 698 5382 #METOO

• Po
    Powerlifting Apr 21, 2010

The San Bernardin California 24 HR Fitness provides terrible service...The service manager Andrea Bocanegra is a sarcastic rude mean person...She likes to raise her voice at customers and acts like she's the owner of the club...WHAT A BIT%$&!!!

• Sp
    Sparkle.sf.beauties Jun 05, 2010

I signedup for the 24hrs Super Sports in Milbrae, CA and they said I could do donwgrade at anytime if I wanted to. When I try t do the downgrade my husband's membership after a couple months, they tell me that there is no way I can do the downgrade. They said there is no such option in their computers. I ask them to show me this in the contract, cause it should be in writing. The Club manager Greg couldn't find it. Ridiculous! They have an awful customer service. First he was 100% sure that this was in the contract. After he couldn't find. Then he decided to send an email to the corporate to ask for the downgrade, which after 1.5 months is still not resolved and it was charged in my credit card.
    I also asked to freeze my account. They said it was done! ... and I got a another charge on my credit card for the monthly value I was paying $52.99. HOW CAN THEY CHARGE FOR THE NEXT MONTH WHEN I ASKED THEM TO "FREEZE"?????? HOW CAN THEY LIE TO ME SAYING THAT I CAN DOWNGRADE, WHEN IN REALITY I CANNOT? HOW CAN THEY NOT HAVE THIS IN THE CONTRACT???????
    I have been calling Greg the Club Manager in Milbrae for more than a month. I am so pissed off with him and this miserable company. They treat the customer like [censor]. I got 2 charges on my credit card close to $100, when I asked to have only $29 from my husband's downgrade.
    I have 24hrs now and don't recommend to anyone!! RUN AWAY!!! THEY WILL PISS YOU OFF AND GET YOUR MONEY... AND RUN AWAY FROM YOU!! AND LIE TO YOU... HIDE BEHIND THE POLICIES, THE ERROR IN THE SYSTEMS, ETC...

• Ju
    Justin Prater Dec 22, 2010

Total Bull Crap !!! I saw a promotion at Costco for 2 yr membership for $299.00 but it is for only new members and NOT existing members. I currently pay $29.99 a month and I refuse to be ripped off by them anymore. People there that only pay $50 a yr b/c of a promotion they had awhile back when they could pay 3 yrs at a time. Now they only pay $50 a yr for life. BULL CRAP !!! Why they give others GREAT deals but their CURRENT LOYAL MEMBERS they financial screw over !!!

• Hi
    hippiegirl Mar 16, 2011

24hour fitness doesnt care abut their membersa nd the training staff is the worse! Yes you are there to work out so if youre not suppose to interact with the employees then why are they there? To assist you?! But they seem to be bothered. I hate the staff at my 24hour fitness so I go out of my way to drive 20minutes to a different location when there is one literally walking distance from my home. Why? Because that is how awful the staff is at the closer location.

• St
    Styro May 02, 2011

I pay only $27 per month at 24Hour Fitness for access to all gyms, including their highest end ones. I have no complaints. There's a bad apple in every barrel. The only thing I can think of even close to a complaint is that when was issued a free personal trainer with my new membership ten years ago, the guy didn't work me to the level that I wanted to be worked. And he looked like a cartoon character (huge, round, fat torso with impossibly skinny legs). Not that personal trainers are there to serve as your own personal eye candy, but I questioned what that guy could really teach me.

• Ro
    Rosa Dominguez Apr 03, 2013

hola yo hace mas de un año cancele y alos meses mi esposo lo hizo un mes despues de k mi esposo cancelo, le estuvieron haciendo cobros mensuales, el primer mes el hablo y le dijeron k le iban a rembolsar su dinero el siguiente mes le dijeron lo mismo y nada, pasaron 6 meses y me moleste mucho y le dije k llamara k xk no me hiban a estar robando cada mes, cuando el hablo finalmente le dijeron k no era su cuenta, si no k era yo la k no habia camcelado si no k yo la puse en hold, cosa k es totalmente incierta, hoy llame para arreglar el asunto y claro volver a cancelar, pero ellos solo e kieren devolver 3meses de los 6 meses k me estuvieron robando cosa k no acepte, xk el error no fue mio si no de ellos, asi k voy a meeter una demanda para k me regresen mis 6meses k son como 175 dlls no es mucho pero es still my money...esto paso en el condado de San Diego en el gym k esta en la balboa...