Menu
Home Phone Directory Whitepages stole my credit card

Whitepages review: stole my credit card

E
Author of the complaint
3:13 pm EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went to whitepages.com to look for a friend's phone number and address. I ended up on their pay site. I entered my credit card and purchased the contact information for my buddy. I was fine paying for it. My credit card statement came and the charge was there from peoplesmart or something like that.

Now a month later I get my next credit card statement and there's an additional charge for about $40 on my credit card! Whitepages.com took my credit card, charged it and then charged it again without my consent.

This company is a fraud - my advice stay way, far away.

4 comments
B
Aug 04, 2020 7:01 pm EDT

same here $19.99 every day sometimes four times in one day

U
Apr 16, 2019 2:11 am EDT

White Pages provided info to a person (most likely ID Theft), who used my credit card info. This person now has all of my personal info. I believe White Pages should be held responsible for incidents of ID theft as they make it so easy for anyone to obtain our personal information. White Pages is a one-stop-shopping site for ID thieves.

S
Jun 02, 2015 4:21 pm EDT

As much as I'd like to empathize, it's very clear that Whitepages shows ads from peoplesmart and when you enter info and click thru, peoplesmart starts you on a trial membership which you need to cancel within a certain time frame, to not be charged again.

While we don't agree with that sort of tactic, nor do we like the tiny print on websites that tell you it's a trial and then a subscription, the real issue is that customers don't usually read what they are actually purchasing. Customers often just click to accept the terms and conditions without ever thinking about it. Take some responsibility. If you read what you are about the purchase, it might make you stop. Would you just go buy a car and just sign the paperwork without reading or understanding them?

K
Feb 21, 2011 2:43 pm EST

This is what they do and it is legal (totally disgusting but legal)
It is virtually impossible to get satisfaction.
I have decided to keep my money under my pillow together with a 45.
I am sick and tired of Banks, Credit-Cards, Paypal, Insurances, Lawyers, Doctors, car mechanics, ...

Karl

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

30 complaints